In-Depth Rail Lean Catch help (it worked for me)

use the SECOND ROSTER UPDATE and DEFAULT SLIDERS on PRO DIFFICULTY

Pitchers - Roy Oswalt (Houston Astros) or Derek Lowe (LA Dodgers)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I got this achievement almost 3 months ago but a friend of mine and several on here are still having trouble. It truly feels like one of those random ass achievements. I haven't gotten again until I decided to sit down and try it with the same circumstances as when I first got it. Now let's get to it and I really hope this helps. Attempting this under these circumstances I've done it now 4 times. The first one three months ago, and one time in three consecutive games.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Using either ROY OSWALT or DEREK LOWE, start an EXHIBITION GAME vs. the PITTSBURGH PIRATES. Regardless whether you use OSWALT or LOWE, have the Astros or Dodgers as the HOME TEAM at PNC PARK (the Pirates' home field)

in EXHIBITION, set the following conditions:

-- clear

-- windy

-- 7:00pm

-- 72F

Pirates roster - move all lefties down to the bottom of the order, thus getting you all the right-handed bats to the top (or swap the starting lefties for righties on the bench)

How to pitch to them - The pitch that'll do this the best is the slider. YOu'll want to throw it high and just inside the strike zone on the righties (that top right corner of the strike zone) When pitching with either Oswalt or Lowe, start every hitter off with the slider high and in EXCEPT for Jason Bay. Start Jason off with an off-speed pitch far away from him and out of the zone.

Sequence -

Normal Hitter using Oswalt/Lowe - Slider high and in for strike 1 (or contact) followed by one of their other pitches (EXCEPT FOR THE SLIDER) low and out of the zone for (hopefully a ball unless they swing lol) repeat this process (while using different pitches for the one you throw low and away) until contact (or unfortunately a K) occurs. Should your high and in slider be called a ball, follow it again with the slider in the same place. Should that be called ball, throw a change up low and away but still in the zone for a strike. Then get your timing and placement in order and head back up and in with the slider.

EXAMPLE

1. slider high and in for strike 1

2. fastball low and outside for ball 1

3. slider high and in for foul tip strike 2

4. curveball low and outside for ball 2

5. slider high and in for foul tip still 2 strikes

6. changeup low and outside for ball 3

7. slider high and inside for pop-fly to 3B

Jason Bay - start him off with Oswalt's curveball low and outside for ball 1 or with Derek Lowe's changeup for ball 1. Then start rotating with high slider and low/outside random pitch. Should your sliders get too high or inside and be called balls, WALK HIM. At least in my game with the second roster update, Jason tends to send high breaking pitches out of the park.

WELL THAT'S IT, GOOD LUCK TO ALL! OSWALT AND LOWE'S SLIDER IS REALLY GOOD TO GET THAT BAT TO HIT IT JUST NEAR THE RAIL FOR THE CATCH. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE ASTROS OR DODGERS 3B OR LF PLAYERS, THEY'LL BE ABLE TO MAKE IT TO THE RAIL IN TIME FOR THE GRAB, TRUST ME

Well, this all seemed helpful, but the tough part I find is getting someone over to actually catch the ball -- the camera angle, once the ball is hit in the direction of the foul line, RARELY allows one to see the fielder that one tries to move in that direction (the camera follows the ball, on an upward-pointing angle, not allowing one to see a fielder) . . . perhaps, you could elaborate on more of your settings?

Perhaps, my trying to control a fielder over to the right spot is the wrong idea? Does your fielder go over there, by himself, to catch the ball, without your assistance?

To answer the obvious questions about my own, relevant settings, I've tried both "Pole Camera" and "Broadcast Camera;" and, what seems like it SHOULD address the issue (but, doesn't), I have "Keep Fielder In View" turned ON.

Other than that, I've been using Roy Oswalt, in Pittsburgh's PNC Park (with Houston as home team, as you describe), aiming right at the center of the catcher's mask when pitching Oswalt's slider (after positioning the catcher to catch a ball in the upper-right strike zone, using the right stick), as this brings the pitch right back to the top-right corner of the strike zone. I've since increased Morgan Ensberg's and Carlos Lee's fielding attributes to max, to see if that might help, and have turned on the few seeming appropriate cheats that might help, as well ("I can't Drive 55" and "Super Turbo").

I should also mention that I've since gotten rid of all left handed batters (switch-hitters, too) from Pittsburgh's lineup (traded for all right-handers), and have also gotten rid of Jason Bay (for Pat Burrell) and Freddie Sanchez (he crowds the plate, so I'd occasionally hit him by accident).

Thus, the upshot is, I THINK I've gotten the Pirates to hit pop-up, foul balls several times that might be catchable, just over the foul wall, but haven't been able to direct a fielder over to that area to attempt a catch.

Any other thoughts? ;-)

Yeah what you mentioned was the one thing I forgot. If and when they foul it off it will most of the time give you the "action" camera of the hard hit foul ball going in to the stands. Subconsciously I combated that by following up with a two-seam fastball high and in.

What that does is slow their bat speed down (in them expecting something off-speed) and they are more likely to hit a high pop up intead of a more straight one down the line.

Try the pitch sequence I suggest in my first post but mix the high and in pitches between slider and 2-seam. See if that will induce higher pops rather than straight.

Well, it's not so much the height of the pop-up that's the problem, I think, as I've gotten several high pop-ups that seem to be catchable . . . it's that I can't see the fielders to control their moving to catch said pop-up, as the camera angle points up toward the ball, rather than down, at both ball landing zone and fielder (as it does for fly balls to the outfield, for instance)? Or, is it the case that if you aren't shown your fielders, that the ball is simply not catchable (though, at times, it appears to land JUST over the fence)?

I'll also try to mix in the 2-seamer, as that sounds like a good idea to get an increased frequency of pop-ups, but . . . I'm not sure that's the primary problem?

Anyway, I appreciate your checking in and responding . . . this is the most in-depth thread on what's a challenging achievement that I've found. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

The camera angle it gives you is similar to that of a pop-up in the infield. The only difference is that the catch circle assist is HALF in grass and HALF in the stands. That's when you know it's rail-lean time.

Just run over to that circle and flick the right stick UP. Just hope you're not like my friend who FINALLY got a shot at it and his fielder DROPPED it lol. I had to laugh though.

• 4 weeks later...
The camera angle it gives you is similar to that of a pop-up in the infield. The only difference is that the catch circle assist is HALF in grass and HALF in the stands. That's when you know it's rail-lean time.

Just run over to that circle and flick the right stick UP. Just hope you're not like my friend who FINALLY got a shot at it and his fielder DROPPED it lol. I had to laugh though.

I had the same thing happen. On another one closing into the rail my 3rd baseman ran into my left fielder. I'm done with this achievement.

Yeah the only reason I got it is because I love baseball and baseball video games so I put a lot of hours in to my franchise mode. So, just by the number of games alone it was only a matter of time before I eventually got it.

Then I developed what I thought to be a pretty good system of inducing the rail lean but I've gone back and tried it myself and I haven't been able to reproduce my success.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...