Is this what Visceral calls disturbing?

lovemetal423

"In Dead Space 3 Awakened, gamers will experience some of the most disturbing content they have ever seen in a Dead Space game. They are going to love it," said Visceral Games boss Steve Papoutsis.

This is the quote given in one of the x360a articles about the DLC. I just finished it and it was some of the tamest gameplay in the entire game. Nothing disturbing, nothing terrifying, hell not even any jump scares. The DLC took less than 2 hours to complete and though it was a cool concept and expanded the story after the ending of the game it was not as good as the actual game. When I read that this was going to be some of the most disturbing content in a Dead Space game I was beyond ecstatic and wondering how they would top some of the past 2 games moments and I was just led to a disappointing experience. If you haven't bought the DLC I would highly suggest waiting for it to go on sale during the DOTW. The story part wasn't horrible and had some interesting things start but I feel as if it didn't really fulfill any expectations that I got throughout it. I thought "Wow, this seems like a cool thing. I hope it goes more into it." and it never did. It was like going to Baskin Robins and seeing over 30 flavors of ice cream behind the glass and them telling you at the counter that you can only get half a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The only redeeming thing about the story parts that were introduced is the fact that they can expand any new DLC content to delve deeper into it with future add ons. It is not the worst DLC that I have every played but it failed to live up to its expectations. I wouldn't have been upset if an EA exec had made the comment about it being disturbing because I would expect that from EA, I would even expect that from Activision but not from Visceral.

It's called being desensitised. Whether it's from playing the games too much, or exposure to a lot of horror in general, it's not disturbing because you are used to it.

For someone who isn't used to it, I expect this DLC could be very disturbing.

[spoiler=Spoiler] i.e. the soldiers killing themselves, or even just the ones rocking back and forth chanting. The cult leader is also pretty creepy, both his look and the fact he sometimes just pops up and stands looking at you.

That plus enemies can pop up anywhere rather than just from vents because of Isaac's visions. They didn't make me jump because that kind of thing just doesn't make me jump anymore, but there is certinaly potential there for a lot of jump scares.

It's also called hype ;) Of course Visceral aren't going to turn around and say "This DLC is ok, but it's not disturbing, you should wait for it to be on sale" etc

You're probably right about being desensitised to this stuff. I mean there was potential in the DLC but I still feel like it fell short :[ I always had the notion that Dead Space would always make me jump back and feel disturbed but I guess I just have to wait for the next disturbing thing to come along to give everyone that feeling of dis-ease.

It does kind of suck that it's happened (being desensitised) Nothing bothers me anymore really. I've seen so much in video games, movies and real life that it takes a lot to disturb me. Short of adding animal cruelty or something I don't think Dead Space will ever get to me in that way.

That or surrounding you with massive spinning fans. I hate massive spinning fans XD

Well the ending was disturbing enough, now we have to wait for DS4 :|

Or the next DLC (if there is any more)

It is setup nicely for another full game, although they could also make another short-ish DLC depending on the story they went with.

[spoiler=Spoiler_01]A full game of defending Earth from the necromorphs/moons would work, but so would a short DLC of having to find Ellie.

I expect they are waiting for more sales numbers before deciding exactly what to do. Having said that I actually wouldn't be surprised if DS4 was already in developement. E3 reveal?

Edited by Majica8

It's disturbing because I spent $10 on this 1 and a half hour piece of fucking shit.

O_o it's not that bad. It's more of the same from the main game really, different/new enemies thrown in. If you liked the full game I don't see why you wouldn't like this, and if you didn't like the game I'd question why you are buying the DLC in the first place :p

It's called being desensitised. Whether it's from playing the games too much, or exposure to a lot of horror in general, it's not disturbing because you are used to it.

Exactly. Anyone that's played any or all of the dead space games knows exactly what to expect. that's the sad reality. As much as I'd love to shit my pants every time I played something scary/creepy/horrifying. It just doesn't work that way. The only games that every truly scared the hell out of me were RE1, 2, and REmake. Silent Hill 1, 2, and 4 (because The Room is a claustrophobic, creepy fucking nightmare). And Dead Space. There may be a couple others that have creeped me out a little bit. But those are the titles that stand out.

This content was pretty solid. It resolved the questions left unanswered in the main game. And it bridged the gap that will surely lead directly to Dead Space 4. All while providing the same classic Dead Space experience that made the franchise great.

I loved it. Can't wait for Dead Space 4. I'd love more DLC. But the ending here, along with Visceral making it clear that they had no further plans for DLC tells me the story will continue with Dead Space 4. Fucking bring it. I'm ready to kill me some fucking moons.

[spoiler=Unique]A full game of defending Earth from the necromorphs/moons would work, but so would a short DLC of having to find Ellie.

OT: This spoiler tag isn't working right for me, clicking this one reveals the one from my earlier post. You might have to quote it to read it.

You need to give your spoiler tag a unique ID for every spoiler tag you use. If you use the same ID "spoiler=Spoiler" everytime, the first spoiler tag with the same ID will open up. If you want to make sure they work, keep them different. Like this: First tag you create, "spoiler=Spoiler_01" next tag you use on same page "spoiler=Spoiler_02". I think you get the idea!!

Try and see if it works for you.

You need to give your spoiler tag a unique ID for every spoiler tag you use. If you use the same ID "spoiler=Spoiler" everytime, the first spoiler tag with the same ID will open up. If you want to make sure they work, keep them different. Like this: First tag you create, "spoiler=Spoiler_01" next tag you use on same page "spoiler=Spoiler_02". I think you get the idea!!

Try and see if it works for you.

That did it, thanks ;)

Or the next DLC (if there is any more)

It is setup nicely for another full game, although they could also make another short-ish DLC depending on the story they went with.

[spoiler=Spoiler_01]A full game of defending Earth from the necromorphs/moons would work, but so would a short DLC of having to find Ellie.

I expect they are waiting for more sales numbers before deciding exactly what to do. Having said that I actually wouldn't be surprised if DS4 was already in developement. E3 reveal?

Or maybe instead of that idea for a short DLC, [spoiler=Spoiler_02]maybe playing as Ellie when all things go to hell at Earth?

Oh, or what about expanding the story of Lexine from the Severed DLC from Dead Space 2? I mean, they never added on anything that happened to her after it ended, did they?

Or maybe instead of that idea for a short DLC, [spoiler=Spoiler_02]maybe playing as Ellie when all things go to hell at Earth?

I think starting anything like that should be left for DS4, they can get a full game (or more) out of where it's heading. Maybe let you play as multiple characters or something.

Oh, or what about expanding the story of Lexine from the Severed DLC from Dead Space 2? I mean, they never added on anything that happened to her after it ended, did they?

They didn't in the games, I'm unsure if any of the books or comics/graphic novels have continued that story.