Improvements for the next F1 installment

GORQITO

F1 2010 is a great game, but there are some things I have picked up on that I would love to see in the next game.

Particularly more "human" AI. Like, they actually sometimes mess up, crash and DNF. Or run out of fuel. It doesn't happen often enough in 2010. I just think it would make the game a bit more exciting.

What do you want to see improved for the next F1 title?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many drivers ran outta fuel in the real life 2010 season?

I would like to see a "random" R&D. You know, in real life they bring a bit of carbon to the track, glue it to the car, tell the press it will improve by 0.2s but in the end, it slows them by 0.5s. Next race, they take it away, replace with other part and the finally get a 0.1s improve. In F1 2010: every R&D was an improvement and I tend to disagree when looking at the billions spent in real world.

How many drivers ran outta fuel in the real life 2010 season?

I would like to see a "random" R&D. You know, in real life they bring a bit of carbon to the track, glue it to the car, tell the press it will improve by 0.2s but in the end, it slows them by 0.5s. Next race, they take it away, replace with other part and the finally get a 0.1s improve. In F1 2010: every R&D was an improvement and I tend to disagree when looking at the billions spent in real world.

Im sure you would be pissed off to bother with the R&D only to find out its a load of bollocks and its why you ended up last haha:p

Can't remember when it was, but I think it happened to Massa. Although it is a rare occurence I must say, but just a suggestion anyway.

This was in Practice in Abu Dahbi, so it would simply be the team collecting data on a low fuel tank performance etc. Ferrari are stupid hobos, hence why they got it wrong and Massa ran out of fuel.

This was in Practice in Abu Dahbi, so it would simply be the team collecting data on a low fuel tank performance etc. Ferrari are stupid hobos, hence why they got it wrong and Massa ran out of fuel.

Ask McLaren that; thought they had new parts on Suzuka but it didn't work out til Brazil for a few spots near the top...:p

haha, The good times, the shit times.. Mainly the shit times.

definatley wish we could do teams and possibley a team radio between the 2 drivers, but obviously go back to party chat inbetween races. id like to see a bit more in performance tweaks aswell as at the moment having a good setup is no different really to having the engineer do it. maybe a half a second or 1 second advantage if you do your own setup at the moment.

also anybody else notice that sometimes the tracks go a bit wierd sometimes like on spa i know i can easily do a 1:41 but for some reason i wasnt going faster than 1:49 no matter how hard i pushed in qualifying, yet in the race i beat my qualifying time on the first lap :S

...maybe a half a second or 1 second advantage if you do your own setup at the moment...

That's bollox mate... A crap driver with a top-notch setup still loses the race any day of the week over an excellent driver with a standard car. Plus, when you look at Forza hotlapping; top-100 peeps all do their own setup and still finish within 1 second of eachother...

There are alot of things I think need to be improved. More consistent AI (easy on some tracks and too hard on others) fixing the bugs and flaws, improving the penalty system, safety car, red flags, more expanded media, friendships and rivalries, other teams developing other time so they could become worse or better. I could go on.

That's bollox mate... A crap driver with a top-notch setup still loses the race any day of the week over an excellent driver with a standard car. Plus, when you look at Forza hotlapping; top-100 peeps all do their own setup and still finish within 1 second of eachother...

totally agree with you, a setup is no replacement for raw talent, but the times are all over the place, i think its a programming bug, because sometimes on the same track with the same car in a gp where you know what a good time is i.e. monza 1:17-1:19 u cant even go close sometimes a 1:23 if you are lucky but then u change to an engineer setup and suddenly you are a lot faster. its wierd.

totally agree with you, a setup is no replacement for raw talent, but the times are all over the place, i think its a programming bug, because sometimes on the same track with the same car in a gp where you know what a good time is i.e. monza 1:17-1:19 u cant even go close sometimes a 1:23 if you are lucky but then u change to an engineer setup and suddenly you are a lot faster. its wierd.

I agree the times fluctuate a lot; I see that a lot on Valencia doing laps anywhere from 1:39 to 1:46...

Regarding the engineer setups; I did an entire season in Custom mode, where I had the assists ON but all drivers on Legendary and even I managed to pull ahead 1 to 2 seconds a lap on any track.

I have to say though, I'm still running the unpatched version (for certain reasons) so I have no clue how it works in the current patched 2010...

AI definately needs to be more consistent, seems to go up and down like a fat mans flab when jogging. With them making more mistakes as well. The penalty system also needs to be made elss harsh, I've forgotten how many times I've been punished for spinning into a car after a bad corner or being told I cut the corner because I lost the back end.

Also, the media section, did Codemasters copy notes from the Football Manager series? Because it's so devoid of substance, lacking in variety and utterly pointness I wonder why they bothered, they need to bulk that up a notch.

But it doesn't take away from the fact this is the best F1 game I have played since Formula 1 97 back on the Playstation (and before that Grand Prix 2). It's taken 14 years for any racing game to come close to those games in my opinion and while this one isn't perfect, it's fun, challenging and addictive. :woop:

i must say the fuel loads need to sorted abit. maybe a race eng in races online and off line to tell u that u need to turn ur engine down for so many laps or u'll run out of fuel i can go round the race on fast and not run out of fuel but others cant it just dont make sense to me.

also a more in depth weather system. maybe tell u roughly wot time they think it will rain. and on a note with that. it hard to tell how wet the track is when ur in the garage so maybe being able to walk out the garage on to the pit lane b4 a Q or Race to see weather u need wets or get away with dry tyeres.

quick pit stops in Q wud be good also as when u hav 2:30 mins till the end of the session and u hav to go in the garage the that take 30-45 secsond and tyr and get out and do an out lap b4 the session stops.

wot are ur thought on that??

I've forgotten how many times I've been punished for spinning into a car after a bad corner.

Sounds like a caused collison to me. Penalty deserved.

i must say the fuel loads need to sorted abit. maybe a race eng in races online and off line to tell u that u need to turn ur engine down for so many laps or u'll run out of fuel i can go round the race on fast and not run out of fuel but others cant it just dont make sense to me.

also a more in depth weather system. maybe tell u roughly wot time they think it will rain. and on a note with that. it hard to tell how wet the track is when ur in the garage so maybe being able to walk out the garage on to the pit lane b4 a Q or Race to see weather u need wets or get away with dry tyeres.

quick pit stops in Q wud be good also as when u hav 2:30 mins till the end of the session and u hav to go in the garage the that take 30-45 secsond and tyr and get out and do an out lap b4 the session stops.

wot are ur thought on that??

Sounds like some good points here Noddee. Especially with the fuel in mutiplayer, I always have to have it on Normal for at least 10 laps in our races. I usually get red fuel on the last lap, or have had yellow lights for 4 odd laps before the end.

Edited by pined5551

• 2 weeks later...

Love the game, haven't stopped playing it since I got it! But as everyone, there are a few things which I think will make the next game an awful lot better.

I think there is a potential to get a much larger and varied stat system for both online and offline races. For example, how many races you have competed in, how many wins in each circuit, how many times you have crashed, how many fastest laps etc.

As identified, the AI could be more realistic and less robot like and potential driver swaps. Although I know this is hard due to licensing of the game and image rights.

A final thing I think would make the game complete are like classic races/scenario mode. This would include going back to classic races and trying to emulate what a driver has done. An example of this would be overtake Glock on the final lap of Interlagos in Brazil with Hamilton.

Whatever improvements are made, I can't wait!

Great game but my improvements wish list would include the following-

Safety car- plays such an important part in strategy in real life

A more active grid start- So you can be involved in losing or gaining positions off the grid instead of just being random

A better spectator mode- Especially for online races then if I crash I can still see the race progress, In our x360 championship it would give us an oppurtunity to make some cool race edits

Don't think any of these would be too difficult to integrate into the game, what do you guys think?

Great game but my improvements wish list would include the following-

Safety car- plays such an important part in strategy in real life

A more active grid start- So you can be involved in losing or gaining positions off the grid instead of just being random

A better spectator mode- Especially for online races then if I crash I can still see the race progress, In our x360 championship it would give us an oppurtunity to make some cool race edits

Don't think any of these would be too difficult to integrate into the game, what do you guys think?

1) The safety car would most defo be great. but would be very hard to intergrate. They would have to put a limiter on the car when behind it to stop people overtaking, unless they just do an instant DSQ if you did. In which case, safety cars would just be annoying as you would just slowly trundle along waiting for stewards (who wouldnt exist in the game, as the annimation would be too hard to program due to random crash wrecks and positioning), to clear crashed vehicles. The strategy gained from a pit stop under the car would be minimal as the simulation side of the game is far too lacking. Tyre wear just isn't significant enough IMO, neither is temperature (one corner and they are at optimum temp...stupid!).

2) Agreed, maybe an option for a more technical start process which invloved a clutch, anti-stall, harsher traction control which produces far more wheel spin (in real life they are only at a quater throtle until 3rd gear).

3) Again, much needed. But they said they could not put it in as the volume of data used to create the images of what is happening on screen is so vast, especially when weather is utilised, that the other side of the circuit just doesn't exist when you are nowhere near it. Or at least only is a half rendered state. To have a running video that you can jump from driver to driver at any part of the track would probably cause a console to crash or lag out. But would be awesome if it worked.

-----------------------------

One of my only complaints is that i want useable wing mirrors on the car. You get no image of what is behind you in them, and for those of us who use racing wheels, only being able to look directly behind you just isn't enough. When alongside someone i have no idea where they are, and it can cause a lot of problems.

I also want a far more simulation settings. My idea being one of track evolution over a race weekend. Lap times fall considerably during a race weekend as rubber is deposited on the track from practice session tryes. Grip levels increase and it becomes a faster circuit. Likewise tyre temperature is too easilly achieved here, it should take a lap at least to warm them up, and performance ability should reflect temperature levels.

Edited by pined5551