Memory muscle concerns

PANIC ATTACK 10

My question is will this effect my memory muscle? my concern is because of how they do the songs. they add/take away strings & cords. so because they add & take away notes & such. will this effect my memory muscle or cause me to have bad habits?

also can i slow songs down? can i have a "no fail option"?. can i have the full method of song unlocked? i want to play the full songs. this way i can perform the songs the way they were ment to be.

Yes and no.

The way the songs are laid out, I don't think it will effect your muscle memory, as you're just playing a subset of the notes in the song. Eventually you're able to play more and more notes. I can't really imagine it negatively affecting you, unless you play single notes over and over and don't continue to learn. It's just providing you with certain licks and chords that you can eventually build upon rather than teaching you a wrong way to play it.

However, it doesn't teach you the correct posture to use when playing, doesn't teach you better ways to configure your hands, things like that. Video games can only go so far. If you're really truly interested in playing guitar really well, this should be used as an addition to real teaching, rather than a substitute for it.

All songs are built in with a no-fail option, it just increases/decreases the amount of notes it gives you depending on how well you're doing. You also have access to an on-screen amp (you can play whatever you want) and access to all of the full songs in single note or chord configuration. Does a pretty good job of letting you do what you want for the most part.

awesome & thanks for feedback. i was concerned because i dont want to learn bad habits. RB3 was bad for that. so i wanted to make sure this is safe way to learn. otherwise i'd have to unlearn before learning it over again.

i've tried teachers but have not found them helpful. i'm extreamely serious about learning guitar. i have fhe 21st century books. from beginner to advabed. plus used alfreds books too. i practice scales an hr a day. ie E string 9-12 fret. mixing up with other strings & frets, extra. i have a PRS SE electric guitar. i'm 45yrs old. this is on my bucketlist. cant find a good teacher. lessons are getting very expensive too. so i'm teaching myself. i use the books mentioned. plus websites like Marty of guitar jamz. so any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Also, I highly suggest justinguitar.com as well. He is absolutely awesome and his website is free (you can donate to help him out too). He has an entire Beginner's Course and he will teach proper positioning and everything. There's videos for everything he teaches as well.

Rocksmith is a good supplement to learning the guitar, but as you know, lessons (either from online resources or books) are a necessity for learning guitar. Many people will say that face to face lessons are helpful to critique your habits, but sometimes a jam buddy can help out just the same for much less cost! :)

EDIT: I should have posted more on topic, oops. As long as you know how to properly finger chords, and use all your fingers on single notes (not just 2 fingers) which your resources will teach you, then you should develop good muscle memory and not have to worry about bad habits. The game grows with you, not against you.

If someone who has never played guitar went out and bought one, along with Rocksmith, and never used anything else to help them learn, then I would say they would probably develop poor habits.

Edited by MartyMcFly

^ dont worry about being on topic. the info you had to share is very helpful :) i have the alfred method books 1,2,3. then i was thinking of the complete method book. then doing theory. i will check out justinguitar.com. i've read some other posts were its mentioned. thanks so much for all the helpful info :) PS i was thinking of getting the guitar series for dummies. they have theory,method,cords. all from the alfred series of books.

• 1 month later...

For a beginner, learning to play the guitar is hard because of the lack of muscle memory, but just like using a controller or typing on a keyboard the more you do it the easier it becomes. It will even get to a point where you dont even have to look at the item while using it, hence muscle memory.

And there is no downside to playing a real guitar as you get improved reflex's, better arm muslce and stamina, you might be able to become ambidextrous and you'll be able to play the guitar will and pick up girls XD

justinguitar is awesome i find him one of the easiest to understand. he is really good i like marty schwartze too and yourguitarsage, i havnt played the game yet but im not sure if it could affect muscle memory, as every guitar song is different, unless your playing all the basics that use Cadd9 G and D for example but playing something like good riddance by greenday uses completely different patterns to say nothing else matters by metallica, or 45 by shine down which uses a lot of single strings picked etc, so i cant see it doing any harm really

my thanks to everyone for your help. however, i checked out justin guitar.com. he has things wrong. which really messed with my memory muscle. heres the proablems. the top of the guitar faces the floor. but he calls the bottom, the top. which gets really confusing. also this effects strings to play in cords,extra. so when he says play low E string. its actually the high E string. ie top E vs bottom E string. now when you goto talk to other muscians. they wont have a clue what you are saying. if they tell you to play a G cord. you wont know how. the basic techniques are very important to playing guitar. ie the fundamentals. so if you mess this up. it could take years to relearn proaperly. those are my concerns with justinguitar.com

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I understand correctly what you guys are talking about Justin's tabs aren't upside down, AT ALL. From what I remember they are written the same way ALL guitar tabs are written (e.g. on ultimate-guitar.com) - the way that the thickest string is the bottom one and the thinnest string is the top one.

I think it's Rocksmith's fault because the default in-game string settings make the red, thickest string the top one, which is incorrect, I could hardly play anything until I inverted the strings in the options as I was used to reading online guitar tabs already, which like I said are the other way around.

My advice? Be sure to set your string settings so that the thickest string (red) in Rocksmith is the bottom one on the screen - just think about it, when you're holding the guitar in your hand and look at the fretboard the thickest string is also kind of 'the bottom one' so it just makes everything easier, especially if you plan on using guitar tabs later on.

Don't get used to the incorrect initial string setup, I bet it confuses the hell out of many people. ;)

just to answer the OP's question on muscle memory...

if you've downloaded the latest patch/update for the game, the riff repeater section now has an awesome feature that you can use to master parts of a song at 100% mastery at the speed you are most comfortable with. pick a song, choose riff repeater, choose the speed/accelerator one (forgot the name). once you start with the part, pause it and then set the mastery to 100% and the speed to whichever you find it best for you.

the best thing about this is now, you can virtually keep on playing the same riff over and over without losing any of your lives - AS LONG AS YOU HIT ALL THE NOTES. mind you, and this is my experience with this new feature, don't take this as a sign it will always be easy. it still takes a lot of practice to get it right. still, this is possibly the best way to master riffs and parts of a certain song you want to master at your own pace.

• 1 month later...
Don't get used to the incorrect initial string setup, I bet it confuses the hell out of many people. ;)

Bit of a late reply (hey, I just got the game - which is kind of amazing in itself since it wasn't distributed here, at least not for X360) but I agree with that. When I started playing I wondered why the 'E' string was up on top (or 'e' string at the bottom, whichever way you want to look at it). Thankfully there was the option to set it to a normal layout.

• 5 months later...

thanks for the info. i tried teachers again but not working out. any other resouces i can use? just dont want to create a bunch of topics. i was learning songs ie you can go your own way by fleetwood mac. i know my scales including C major which is easy. need to know how to increase my frettint handspeed. so any advice would be a big help. i have gone through 2 teachers at the same place. i keep learning stuff i already know. i love playing but makes me want to quit. i know measures and such too. please help just want to play thanks. i am very serious too :)