Anyone else think Banjo Tooie sucks compared to Banjo Kazooie?

Thinreaper

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's probably because I played tooie first, but I think it's better than kazooie. I was at the age of about 12 when I first played it and I found this game to be so huge and interesting, there was always something to explore. I played kazooie a few years later and it seemed really simpler in comparison. maybe it would have been the other way around if I had played them in the correct order, but now I prefer tooie and I don't dislike the complexity. I also liked the connection between the levels(like, pushing an ice cube from the sky into the lava/ice world where it melts in a sea so that the water can warm up the water in jolly rogers lagoon. this sure makes it complicated as hell, but it's pure fun once it's done).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up playing Kazooie on the N64 but never got a chance to play Tooie until I got it cheap off XLBA, so nostalgia points me towards the classic Kazooie, but allow me to elaborate.

Personally I love how Tooie continues right where Kazooie left off, to the extent that you don't even have to relearn old moves, but if someone were to play Tooie first I could imagine them being very lost and confused. Heck, I was struggling to remember the moves of Kazooie again, never mind learning new tricks! :p

I have yet to finish Tooie, which may affect my overall opinion, but Kazooie was the easier game imo. There seems to be a lot more back-tracking in Tooie and it's easy to get lost at times if you're new to the area. However, in regards to gameplay and graphics, Tooie is superior, but you expect that from a sequel.

Short version, Kazooie is the easier game and, imo, the more fun one so far. Although nostalgia is mostly to blame for that. As for N&B, I've yet to play it, but from what I've heard about it, I'm expecting disappointment from it.

No doubt, Banjo Kazooie is a classic game that introduces us to the characters, their world, their skill sets, and their style of puzzles. Each world was separate and could stand alone, while in Tooie there is ton of monotonous backtracking to be done to fully complete each level. The puzzles become annoying in Tooie when you are given many new moves along with having to constantly search for split-up pads, while also shuffling between Mumbo & Wumba. They get rather lazy with ideas in this adventure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had both games on the N64 when i was little i got tooie as soon as it came out althoguh i like the big worlds and all i just feel kazooie is a better game. Maybe because it was the original i just feel like Kazooie is epic and then theres well everything else. Don't get me wrong i like this game alot its just kazooie is a little better.

This game is just convoluted. This was my first time playing it, but I had seen a friend play it a few years ago on his old N64. It didnt seem appealing to me then and now that im experiencing it for myself it hasnt changed my perception. Im just trudging along for the achievement completion, but I think this game is a miss. Original is better. Even Nuts N Bolts is better than this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I almost had to force myself to keep playing Banjo Tooie. Of course, I can't say that the game is bad because it really isn't. But when I remember how much fun I had entering a level collecting a 100 notes and getting all Jiggies in one run, I can't help but wish Banjo Tooie was like that. Sure, they improved the challenge a lot, and now you have to stay on a level for at least 2 hours to get everything but it's the little things that really ruin the game for me: such as the Canary race on the last level, the fact that Grunty stops talking in rhymes, on replay mode where you don't have extra honeycombs, only a few new moves actually seem useful...

Even, the Swop n Stop feature which I looked forward to the most wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be...

I hope Banjo Treeie doesn't make the same mistakes...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I myself prefer Tooie, but that's only because I never played Kazooie until after the second one, because I got the second one as a b-day gift as a kid, but regardless, people should play both. The only game they SHOULD forget about is N&B, as that killed the gameplay.

• 3 weeks later...

Tooie definitely sucks compared to the first! I don't even want to play it to get the last achievement.

I thought it was alright at first, but that might be because I'd only played the first when I was little, and until I found this on XBLA, the only other Banjo Kazooie game I knew of was N&B, which sucks also.