Latest News On Level Cap

Drucifer82

I do believe i damn near called that one. My new opinion is they should just say fuck it and slowly up the level to what ever would give us all skill maxed out. thinking it's around 150ish for that to happen though.

i wonder what peoples reactions would be if they increased the level by about 10, but only gave you 6 more skill points.

side note: just finished the rest of the dlc missions i had, got about 1.5 million xp just waiting, plus a few missions that are only available after those are turned in. plan on doing the same with my gunzerker character to, but more so. would like to see how much xp there is in all available side missions at lvl 50.

I'll point out one more thing from this interview that is proof to me that they don't know how to manage this game and it's the line where he comments on the level cap being raised in response to the name of the achievement for reaching level fifty (Capped Out...For Now). The achievement title coupled with the fact that they raised the cap in the first game is an example of them putting their foot in their mouth yet again. If it was simply called "Capped Out", the speculation and expectation of a level-cap increase would be based on historical events rather than a dick tease. Now they have to be pro-active about the situation when clearly they've known all along a level-cap would break their game. It's amateur hour over at Gearbox twenty-four hours a day. All of this aside, I think I speak for many people when I say we would have been happy with a level-cap increase even without additional skill-points, there would have atleast been a reason to earn experience again or consider giving them money for more content.

Edited by WalterWhite

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Level cap may be much further away than we thought (if it happens at all now) according to the wording Randy uses in this interview:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/07/borderlands-2-level-cap-increase/

Some of the shit he says is so ridiculously stupid, based on the experience they should already have under their belt with BL1, that I can't even comment right now. I'll leave it to you all to discuss.

Tl/dr: They basically don't have a clue as to what to do about the cap.

Are you shitting me? "Raising the level cap could break the game?" That is the most bullshit thing I've ever heard in my life. Has he seen the glitches the game has? Any of the complaints of Badass rank resets and corrupted saves? THOSE are what break a game. Raising the level cap does NOT break a game. That's like saying adding cheese to a sandwich ruins the sandwich.

Well, what little respect I had for Gearbox just ran out. I got something to say to Mr. Pitchford: NOT raising the level cap will break everyone's interest in the game. I'm absolutely certain that this article pissed of a LOT of BL2 fans, myself included.

So, increasing Borderlands 1's level cap, not a big deal. But raising BL2's level cap: RED ALERT! :mad: I'm almost at the point of avoiding all future Gearbox games.

Edited by FatalDeathSG45

Level cap may be much further away than we thought (if it happens at all now) according to the wording Randy uses in this interview:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/07/borderlands-2-level-cap-increase/

Some of the shit he says is so ridiculously stupid, based on the experience they should already have under their belt with BL1, that I can't even comment right now. I'll leave it to you all to discuss.

Tl/dr: They basically don't have a clue as to what to do about the cap.

Does Gearbox even play their own game? Pitchford sounds like he is talking out his :ass

Enemies are over the level cap, they don't break the game.

People who have used the infinite skill point glitch to max out all their skill trees and their games didn't flipping break.

I actually met somebody with a modded character, his character was at level 130; he was penalized later but his game didn't break and neither did mine!

I'm almost at the point of avoiding all future Gearbox games.

Oh without a doubt. I just looked back at the interview and reread it to make sure I wasn't overreacting and I wasn't. I didn't read the comments the first time around either. I don't think there's anyone left defending the game at this point, you're either pissed or you're a casual gamer and don't care either way, which is probably the better of the two.

Does Gearbox even play their own game? Pitchford sounds like he is talking out his :ass

Enemies are over the level cap, they don't break the game.

People who have used the infinite skill point glitch to max out all their skill trees and their games didn't flipping break.

I actually met somebody with a modded character, his character was at level 130; he was penalized later but his game didn't break and neither did mine!

I didn't even think of enemy levels and modded games not breaking anything. It gets worse by the minute. Logic is out the door.

Edited by WalterWhite

I think I speak for many people when I say we would have been happy with a level-cap increase even without additional skill-points, there would at the very least then be a reason to earn experience again or give them money for more content.

AMEN! If Gearbox had any sense (which, after reading that article, I now see THEY DON'T), that would be the 'quick-fix' while they try to finish the 'real' problem. Push out a 10 lvl increase, no new skill points, add a third playthrough option (BADASS Vault Hunter Mode, perhaps), and we're happy for a few days or weeks, maybe a month.

But for them to have designed the skill tree system to stop at 50, and can't seem to figure out how to work past that, knowing full well that they would want to raise the level cap in the future is just crazy! And it's such BS for Randy to say "Some of the impossible configurations, if they were possible, would break the game. Sometimes very literally. 'Oh, that’s gonna blow memory. Your Xbox will crash.'" I know of quite a few people playing with modded maxed out skill trees and it's not crashing the Xbox. Ugh.

I actually don't want to jump on the hate bandwagon regarding the Pitchford interview. I mean, he is right that the process has to be a lot more complicated this time around for increasing the level cap. They also seem to want a game balanced in such a certain way regarding loot drops and boss difficulty that implementing new skills or levels would just undue all of their current work. I have no doubt it's a maddening process.

That said, I really am at a loss as to why they feel the need to tune the game to the less than 1% of players out there that speed run raid bosses and farm for the best available loot. The main problem I have with it is that nobody at Gearbox is a player that they are balancing the game for. They are completely out of their element, and it is damaging the overall product for 100% of the players as a result.

It's disheartening because they have recently made changes that are for the better (removing raid boss lockouts, level 50s in the Torque machines, fixing of DLC bugs, and the list goes on). But here Pitchford is again basically saying "guys, it's really hard to make a game that the most dedicated players in the world can't trivialize, so you all have to suffer that fact with us." I thought we were over that, Gearbox.

Edit: I should add that I read Randy saying "break the game" in the same sense he used it in reference to the Bee/shotgun configurations. I know he referenced the memory issues, but he tends to use reductive hyperbole when talking about overpowered builds, duping, and the like. I think in his mind an overpowered character or OP equipment via raised levels/new skills = breaking the game, and they don't want to wander down this path where they need to rebalance everything (which they already know by now they do not know how to do).

Edited by dieredsparowes

AMEN! If Gearbox had any sense (which, after reading that article, I now see THEY DON'T), that would be the 'quick-fix' while they try to finish the 'real' problem. Push out a 10 lvl increase, no new skill points, add a third playthrough option (BADASS Vault Hunter Mode, perhaps), and we're happy for a few days or weeks, maybe a month.

But for them to have designed the skill tree system to stop at 50, and can't seem to figure out how to work past that, knowing full well that they would want to raise the level cap in the future is just crazy! And it's such BS for Randy to say "Some of the impossible configurations, if they were possible, would break the game. Sometimes very literally. 'Oh, that’s gonna blow memory. Your Xbox will crash.'" I know of quite a few people playing with modded maxed out skill trees and it's not crashing the Xbox. Ugh.

I usually try to see an argument both ways and give the benefit of the doubt to the professionals, especially if I'm not capable of doing what I'm saying someone else should be doing better. But in this case, they need to drop whatever they're doing, throw out the playbook and just let the fans dictate where this goes, for better or for worse. This isn't like the fan-dictated fiasco with Mass Effect 3, there isn't any worthwhile lore here to fuck up, it's a bro-dude shoot-em-up. They should just listen to us and if we end up with game breaking glitches, well, we already know how that'll turn out because we have it now. Maybe breaking this game completely would make it fun again.

Edited by WalterWhite

I dont understand why Randy thinks they have to add all this extra stuff if they increase the level cap. He keeps saying on his twitter and on these interviews that they would need to create a new playthough if they were to increase the cap.... why? playthough 2.5 adjusts to your level... so if they raise the cap to 60, then all the enemies would then be 60+... how hard is it to do that? pretty easy i would think

I actually don't want to jump on the hate bandwagon regarding the Pitchford interview. I mean, he is right that the process has to be a lot more complicated this time around for increasing the level cap. They also seem to want a game balanced in such a certain way regarding loot drops and boss difficulty that implementing new skills or levels would just undue all of their current work. I have no doubt it's a maddening process.

That said, I really am at a loss as to why they feel the need to tune the game to the less than 1% of players out there that speed run raid bosses and farm for the best available loot. The main problem I have with it is that nobody at Gearbox is a player that they are balancing the game for. They are completely out of their element, and it is damaging the overall product for 100% of the players as a result.

It's disheartening because they have recently made changes that are for the better (removing raid boss lockouts, level 50s in the Torque machines, fixing of DLC bugs, and the list goes on). But here Pitchford is again basically saying "guys, it's really hard to make a game that the most dedicated players in the world can't trivialize, so you all have to suffer that fact with us." I thought we were over that, Gearbox.

I'm right there with you. I can understand their difficulties, but it really should have been a non-issue. They knew a level cap increase would eventually come, so they should have planned for it in the skill trees.

I'm really hoping this doesn't cause Gearbox to just say eff-it and give up on an increase. That would be sad indeed.

Likewise I was rather hopeful of good intentions with these recent hotfixes. And not to be a bearer of bad news, but the raid boss lockout is only temporary, until they figure out an issue with the lockout timers.

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/entries/22555658-Daily-Raid-Boss-lockout-may-not-reset

I dont understand why Randy thinks they have to add all this extra stuff if they increase the level cap. He keeps saying on his twitter and on these interviews that they would need to create a new playthough if they were to increase the cap.... why? playthough 2.5 adjusts to your level... so if they raise the cap to 60, then all the enemies would then be 60+... how hard is it to do that? pretty easy i would think

Because they clearly have a middle-school dropout with a calculator running the show when they could probably pay someone like Bahroo half that guy's salary to sort the entire mess in the span of a weekend.

I usually try to see an argument both ways and give the benefit of the doubt to the professionals, especially if I'm not capable of doing what I'm saying someone else should be doing better. But in this case, they need to drop whatever they're doing, throw out the playbook and just let the fans dictate where this goes, for better or for worse. This isn't like the fan-dictated fiasco with Mass Effect 3, there isn't any worthwhile lore here to fuck up, it's a bro-dude shoot-em-up. They should just listen to us and if we end up with game breaking glitches, well, we already know how that'll turn out because we have it now. Maybe breaking this game completely would make it fun again.

Maybe once Aliens is on the shelves we might be able to get better responses from Gearbox. Doubtful, but maybe.

I would like to think that someone that works there would have brought up the idea of raising the cap with no new skill points if the skill trees was such a concern. Seems like the obvious answer.

Because they clearly have a middle-school dropout with a calculator running the show when they could probably pay someone like Bahroo half that guy's salary to sort the entire mess in the span of a weekend.

People on the Gearbox forum actually think that Bahroo breaks the game every time he finds some unforseen bug or glitch due to no fault of his own beyond posting a video of it.

The only reason I have been playing this game at all is because I am playing with my friends. That is all. I still haven't started the third DLC. Would I if the level cap was raised. Yes. I would have beat it already too.

I was hoping for a level cap raise because I DO NOT want to hack my character to give them all skill points. But might just for one of each class later on just to have one of each as such. Mechro is a definite if I do.

It's seems pretty obvious that they don't. Come on, Gearbox (more like QUEERbox now), people are now resorting to hacks and mods to upgrade their characters. How is raising the level cap legit breaking the game? Pitchford has serious problems...

If they do raise the cap it will be too late for most players I guess, I don't mind waiting myself as I haven't finished TVHM yet or got to level 50 so I'm rolling through that whilst they dick about with weak DLC packs.

If they do raise the cap it will be too late for most players I guess, I don't mind waiting myself as I haven't finished TVHM yet or got to level 50 so I'm rolling through that whilst they dick about with weak DLC packs.

As I've stated before, raising the level cap so late is like closing the barn doors long after the cows have run away. If there's a level cap increase (it seems it's no longer a matter of when, but if) and/or the DLC is actually worthy of playing, then maybe I'll fire up Borderlands 2 again. That level cap will probably come by the time I've reached Prestige Master on Black Ops II or SR-130 on Halo 4. Whichever comes first.

As I've stated before, raising the level cap so late is like closing the barn doors long after the cows have run away. If there's a level cap increase (it seems it's no longer a matter of when, but if) and/or the DLC is actually worthy of playing, then maybe I'll fire up Borderlands 2 again. That level cap will probably come by the time I've reached Prestige Master on Black Ops II or SR-130 on Halo 4. Whichever comes first.

I'm honestly surprised myself they didn't raise it with the second or third DLC, by then a lot of players had reached level 50 at least once I'd imagine or at least be close so it really would have made sense but you never know with GearBox. The whole mess with badass rank and graveyard infections has put a lot of people off, many whom frequent these forums.

I will say I do like the golden keys though, very useful.

I'm honestly surprised myself they didn't raise it with the second or third DLC, by then a lot of players had reached level 50 at least once I'd imagine or at least be close so it really would have made sense but you never know with GearBox. The whole mess with badass rank and graveyard infections has put a lot of people off, many whom frequent these forums.

I will say I do like the golden keys though, very useful.

I find the lack of a level cap increase amazingly befuddling. They raised the level cap on Borderlands 1 TWICE, whereas with the 2nd one we've yet to see one increase and continue to wonder if it will happen at all. And seeing the Badass resets again (my friend Cann0nSen5ei had his rank reset recently) and corrupted saves certainly doesn't help. As I've stated awhile back, such a great game doesn't deserve such unreliable support. Gearbox needs to pull their heads out of their asses if they expect to win people back to BL2 or even hope of selling Aliens: Colonial Marines. Gearbox is better than this.

"A lot of us have level 50s as well. It’s time to tackle that. We dug in, and we were like, “Oh, shit. This is really hard. This is going to take a lot of time. It’s going to be really expensive. Oh, my God.” And we’ve got all these other priorities and all these other things to do."

Translation: "Once we realized we'd have to actually spend some time making a level cap work, we remembered that the reason we farmed out the BL2 DLC is because we've gotta get this pile of shit, Aliens: Colonial Marines, out on the shelf. After that, it was easy to come to the conclusion that we just don't have time and we're certainly not spending any of the money we've already collected from the BL2 community on improving the game.

If we did that, where is the money for my bonus going to come from?"

"A player that’s spec’d right can just melt the hardest boss in the game solo in like four to five seconds. That’s obviously not by design, right? If you go in, and you can melt Terramorphous in five seconds because you’re using a Conference Call and a Bee shield and you’re spec’d with a Gunzerker for throughput, that’s clearly not any designer’s intent. That’s a bug. That’s the one nerf we’ve ever done, and we got so much rage."

The reason you got so much rage is because this was not a problem with the game that needed to be fixed, and you shouldn't have spent your time and effort on doing that. But this was easy, right? And you only had to take a couple of guys off Aliens to do it, so it got implemented first.

Way to go, Gearbox.

"We felt like we made a mistake when we attached the level cap increase to the DLC. The second level cap increase in Borderlands 1 was completely detached. You didn’t have to buy a DLC to get it. That was a different kind of mistake. We learned lessons from that step as well."

Translation: "There's no chance in hell we're just gonna GIVE you the one thing you want most out of this game. Especially when your constant, accurate bitching about the quality of the DLC has made people not want to purchase the season pass, and has dried up one of our revenue streams. So, to that end, expect a paid DLC outside the season pass for that level cap increase - that is, if we ever bother because it's, y'know, hard and expensive an' stuff."

"A lot of us have level 50s as well. It’s time to tackle that. We dug in' date=' and we were like, [/i']“Oh, shit. This is really hard. This is going to take a lot of time. It’s going to be really expensive. Oh, my God.” And we’ve got all these other priorities and all these other things to do."

How is raising the level cap hard? It was done in Borderlands 1, TWICE.

How is coding a single aspect of the game expensive?!

How is using self-justification like some ignorant, spoiled man-baby going to fare well in an interview that will be made PUBLIC?!

How is using self-justification like some ignorant, spoiled man-baby going to fare well in an interview that will be made PUBLIC?!

I remember an interview Randy gave before the game came out and they asked him about future DLC and if the DLC will include multiple fast travel stations instead of only the one in each of the first games DLC. He bragged about how good his programmers are and when they made the first game they really didn't plan a DLC and they could only do one fast travel per DLC due to programming and compatibility with the base game... If the have the best programmers and planned future DLC's for BL2 there is no way they didn't plan for a level cap increase. Especially since fans have been asking about the cap increase since before the base game even came out.

It's pretty obvious they just took our money and ran, made a great game and then sold us a season pass even before we had even played the game... Randy must have been thinking in his head at every interview "Suckers"...

That was then. This is now.

Good lord, do you have any idea how much money these codemonkeys make? And not only do I need a bonus for being such an awesome pitchman, but we've gotta satisfy all of the shareholders at 2K AND Take-Two.

I'm sorry, but we just can't afford to put any of that cash back into the game.

Well, I've gotta say something, right? And I've already got your money, so what do I care if the "public" doesn't like my comments?

That was then. This is now.

Good lord, do you have any idea how much money these codemonkeys make? And not only do I need a bonus for being such an awesome pitchman, but we've gotta satisfy all of the shareholders at 2K AND Take-Two.

I'm sorry, but we just can't afford to put any of that cash back into the game.

Well, I've gotta say something, right? And I've already got your money, so what do I care if the "public" doesn't like my comments?

Randy Pitchford impressions.

I am pretty sure the character writers were thinking of him whenever they made Handsome Jack.