What Is All The Fuss

Seriously, why does everybody have such a wet dream over this game. I find it really difficult to play for several reason's

1. The map is absolute crap you can't even zoom out or in to find your location/quest location
  2. There are so many glitches, for example I couldn't find some guy called Shum Gro-Yarug, searched and found it is a common glitch were he kills himself.
  3. Can't do anything without the guards go bat shit crazy and building a stupid bounty, this also make's the thieve guild mission's really difficult. This also makes you second guess scavenging as you dont want to be accused of stealing.
  4. Your horse doesn't fast travel with you
  5. Some mission's lack guidance so you just have to wing it
  6. When you get arrest you loose skill
  7. Weapon and armour, damage, value, etc isn't clear.
  8. Some mission's suck if you havn't got the right skill(eg, magic and sneak)
  9. There is really no guidance at the beggining introducing you to things such as how to lock pick, how to gain levels, how to get more magic, how to avoid picking up/scavenging weapons, gold, armour that is stolen.
  10. Because I'm avoiding scavenging I dont have much money so I cant buy health so this makes me not want to explore the vast world.

I just feel this could have been a great game, if they had just given you help to understand, all this things.

Nope, can't afford anything at the moment saving up for stuff for the house/garden(DIY sort of stuff) and for christmas. I've had this for a while but it just doesn't grap me. I can't get good weapons and armour as all my money goes on fines and bounty, even if I had money I wouldn't know were to buy it, I only have 2 spells(fireball and minor healing) and don't know how to get more or upgrade. They really have spoiled it by not explaining things, I'm not saying make it easy but make it clear how to do things so you dont just have to guess.

Nope, can't afford anything at the moment saving up for stuff for the house/garden(DIY sort of stuff) and for christmas. I've had this for a while but it just doesn't grap me. I can't get good weapons and armour as all my money goes on fines and bounty, even if I had money I wouldn't know were to buy it, I only have 2 spells(fireball and minor healing) and don't know how to get more or upgrade. They really have spoiled it by not explaining things, I'm not saying make it easy but make it clear how to do things so you dont just have to guess.

My first elder scroll game was skyrim and i was gonna buy oblivion because it is cheap.

Seriously, why does everybody have such a wet dream over this game. I find it really difficult to play for several reason's

1. The map is absolute crap you can't even zoom out or in to find your location/quest location
  2. There are so many glitches, for example I couldn't find some guy called Shum Gro-Yarug, searched and found it is a common glitch were he kills himself.
  3. Can't do anything without the guards go bat shit crazy and building a stupid bounty, this also make's the thieve guild mission's really difficult. This also makes you second guess scavenging as you dont want to be accused of stealing.
  9. There is really no guidance at the beggining introducing you to things such as how to lock pick, how to gain levels, how to get more magic, how to avoid picking up/scavenging weapons, gold, armour that is stolen.
  10. Because I'm avoiding scavenging I dont have much money so I cant buy health so this makes me not want to explore the vast world.

I just feel this could have been a great game, if they had just given you help to understand, all this things.

Um, have you played any other RPGs?

Fallout 3, Borderlands,WoW.

• Borderlands makes it really clear what weapon damage, speed, etc is so it's clear what to look for when your looking for new weapon
  • Fallout 3 you can zoom in and out on the map
  • WoW makes it clear about what armour ratings are etc aswell

And none of them have suicidal AI and guards that arrest you even when you have only looted a dead body, this game is the most transparent RPG that I've played, it just feels like it could have made it easier to get into and understand, not just through you in with crazy AI and not explain that you can be arrested for stealing.

Guest Scotty

there is quite a lot wrong with this. the map is fine and although you are more than entitle to suggest otherwise, it doesn't need to be changed at all. i cant see how it would be better if it were changed. and i'm pretty sure you can zoom a little bit, not 100%, i haven't played for ages, but you can switch between local and world map.

glitches are a given in a game this massive. as far as i'm aware, there aren't any game breaking ones and you should be saving as often as possible anyway, and if you aren't i suggest you start doing.

not sure what you mean by the guards. what exactly are you trying to do? if you are getting busted for stealing, then you are being seen stealing. you have to be in sneak mode and you will know you are hidden when your reticule is a very dim colour and when you are detected it is very bright. you are only stealing if you see a red hand on something you are gonna pick up and you will only get caught if someone sees you do it.

your horse does fast travel with you, if you are on it. again i've not played this for ages, but im sure your horse fast travels with you, unless of course you fast travel to the inside of a city because horses aren't allowed in cities, and then it will be waiting at one of the gates, outside.

a very high majority of missions have a reticule on your mini compass that tells you exactly were to go all the time. ones that dont, that are few and far between you will most likely have to talk to the beggars or the guards.

you only lose skill when you go to prison, if you pay a bounty you only lose whatever stolen items you have and the ammount of the fine. and if you choose to fight, you will just increase your bounty further, but you wont lose skill.

all your weapon damage, armour value and stats, etc, are all in your journal/inventory. the first column is its value, that when sold to a vendor you will get around half of the number there. second column is how much the item weighs, and you have a set max(that you can increase) of all your items out together. if you pick too much up, you cant move and will have to drop something. the third column is the damage value of the weapon or protection value of armour/clothes and the fourth is the health of the item, if it gets to zero, it is broken and you have to repair it to use it again. hope this makes that a bit clearer for you.

any mission that you dont have the right skill for, should accomidate you at the beginning, with a base version of any spell you need. for sneaking, anyone can sneak. you cant wear heavy armour unless you are very high leveled and you need to be walking, i.e, slightly holding the move stick forward, not all the way, even though you're in sneak mode, it is still classed as running if you hold the button all the way.

about 'scavenging'. you can take anything you want without repurcussions as long as when you hover over it, your reticule doesn't turn into a little red hand, which means you will be stealing it.

of course your weapons will suck at first, but you get better ones as you progress and level up. for a good starting sword, fast travel to chorrol north gate, left hand side of map, then go through the arch way right in front and turn right, into a building called the fighters guild. the go to the top floor inside, speak to the woman and join the guild, then at the top of the stairs, you will see a rack with a fine steel longsword and a silver short sword, both good weapons for a beginner. make sure you join first though or else you will be stealing those weapons

oh and it IS a great game.

sorry for huge post, but i couldn't sit by while someone is hating their oblivion experience.:p

It probably hasn't aged well. You have so many games to compare it to now. When it came out it was amazing. I'd say it is still pretty damn good. But what's wrong with certain missions "sucking" if you don't have the right skills. That's the point of building a character. You can't be good at everything. And how much guidance do you want? Gold trail Fable style. Your horse does go with you. Losing skills when you get arrested = don't get arrested? I didn't find the game hard to understand. I would think the majority of people would find it easy to understand, there's nothing confusing about it. It is and still is a great game in my opinion.

Edited by DJConnelly
spelling

Huge post.
This, but I think Bethesda streamlined it too much compared to Morrowind(removal of skills, magic and such). It's still a good game though. It hasn't aged particularly well, but most games doesn't.

I personally prefer Skyrim over this, even though you have contend with larger portion of glitches compared to Oblivion...

Edited by Kunduz

Ok then explain why I have complete more than the pre quest amount to get the Arrow Of Extrincation yet I've now skipped a week while at imperial city and still no one has come to give me the misson. I've fenced over 2k so that should be more than enough. Also I tried teleporting and it told me there was any enemy near by ran for like 10 minutes and crossed a lake and it still told me there was an enemy near by. The only reason I'm continueing with this glitch fest is to get the achievements.

Ok then explain why I have complete more than the pre quest amount to get the Arrow Of Extrincation yet I've now skipped a week while at imperial city and still no one has come to give me the misson. I've fenced over 2k so that should be more than enough. Also I tried teleporting and it told me there was any enemy near by ran for like 10 minutes and crossed a lake and it still told me there was an enemy near by. The only reason I'm continueing with this glitch fest is to get the achievements.

if we help you and it turns out you already had the quest in your list, or something stupid like that, are we free to make you the new village idiot? If I had a nickel for every time somebody complained about something "glitching" then editing the post 20 minutes later saying "nevermind"... (i only say this because you seem to be confrontational and willing to call the game crap)

and with that: where are you at exactly? Not entirely sure what you mean by: "I have complete more than the pre quest amount to get the Arrow Of Extrincation." presumably you'd stollen the stone from the moth people and turned it in to the gray fox. waiting in the imperial city or in an outlier city? Also, pulled from the UESP: Amusei will not seek you out and initiate the quest if you are in jail, in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary or in Chorrol. A site i'd recommend trying if you're having a glitch fest good time, instead of pissing and moaning on a forum for a 6 year old game.

If that doesn't help, come on back and we'll try again.

I've had the same thing happen with the enemy teleport before, if you're near water check for slaughterfish. even though they can't get to you they still register and will prevent things from happening.

Do you not think that I tried the wiki, that it were I found the amount, "Prerequisite Quest: Turning a Blind Eye, 700 gold fenced" done both I've fenced over 2k now and no I'm not in jail. I've tried waiting at the Imperial City Water Front, Imperial City Fighting Arena, Imperial City Market Place, etc.

Just because a game is 6 years old doesn't mean that it should be a glitch fest, COD 2 is just as old with fewer glitches than this, I can actually play my xbox disc of San Andreas with less game breaking glitches than this.

It's a Bethesda game, it's going to have glitches. Fallout 3, another Bethesda title (that uses the Oblivion engine no less) and one you claim to have played, had it's fair share of glitches too.

Call of Duty 2 is also a terrible comparison, that game is completely linear while Oblivion is expansive and freeflow. When you can do what you want when you want, things can go wrong. That's like comparing Tetris and Pokemon.

I just started this game recently as well (a few hours ago actually) and I'm not finding it very great either, but I definitely credit that to its age. If I had played this 6 years ago I probably would have been impressed and be on the nostalgia train like every other fan. Alas my standards are higher than this, but at this point it is not the game's fault.

The map thing bothered me too actually, but it's kind of ridiculous to complain about it when you're comparing that feature to more recent titles. The game is what it was, you may as well buy an old car and gripe that it doesn't perform as well as newer models.

Edited by Veedrock

Guest Scotty
Do you not think that I tried the wiki, that it were I found the amount, "Prerequisite Quest: Turning a Blind Eye, 700 gold fenced" done both I've fenced over 2k now and no I'm not in jail. I've tried waiting at the Imperial City Water Front, Imperial City Fighting Arena, Imperial City Market Place, etc.

Just because a game is 6 years old doesn't mean that it should be a glitch fest, COD 2 is just as old with fewer glitches than this, I can actually play my xbox disc of San Andreas with less game breaking glitches than this.

i know you say you have waited at the imperial city waterfront, but that is probably the best place to wait. just go there and wait 24 hours, have a little mooch around for a couple mins, if nothing happens, wait another 24 hours and keep repeating until you are contacted.

oh and comparing this to a COD game is rediculous. one quest in this game is equal to a COD campaign.(not exactly, but you get the point)

i would seriously suggest you re-consider playing this game. it isn't the kind of game you play for achievements. they are easy, but very time consuming. if you ain't enjoying it, then move on.

Right I've tried what you said and waiting at the water front and walking around for a couple of mins before skipping 24hrs, done that for 2 weeks in game time. Read on another site that if you give the grey for the stone before talking to beggars it can cause Amusie not to give you the quest so I loaded up a save file just before I did the Moth cave mission to get the stone, talked to 2 beggars in bruma, talked to the grey fox about the thing you find in the chest in the cave, then handed him the stone went and fenced 2k worth of stuff and waited another 2 weeks in games again and nothing.

How can you justify allowing such things to go un tested and unpatched is beyond me. Now I'm stuck with the Thieve missions not completed and wont beable to because of some bull shit glitch that they were to lazy to patch.

stuff

Didn't glitch for me. Apparently not a big deal going by your Fallout logic.

It's a big, open game with an infinite amount of possibilities. Things are bound to mess up from time to time, you just have to accept it. It's pretty snotty to call them lazy considering how extensive the game itself is.

Edited by Veedrock

• 2 months later...

Get your quest -> go to cave/dungeon/ Ruins/ Crypt -> get the item -> Bring it to questgiver -> Rinse and repeat 20 million times.

1250GS finally I'd rather stab both of my eyes with a rusted fork than ever explore oblivion cave again, was really chore to play ( Note; I really like other bethesda games )

...The Dark brotherhood questline was awesome though...

It's still my favourite game, I prefer it over Skyrim since Skyrim just feels too forgiving.

Even if in Oblivion I had a game breaking glitch were I couldn't complete it and had to start again. It's way better to play it on the PC of course, mostly for the many glitch fixes and of course, adding mods for immersion (like the one where the building windows have a tint of yellow during the night)

Edited by CHIRUNO99

• 3 months later...
I can't get good weapons and armour as all my money goes on fines and bounty, even if I had money I wouldn't know were to buy it, I only have 2 spells(fireball and minor healing) and don't know how to get more or upgrade. They really have spoiled it by not explaining things

1) Don't steal or kill people if you can be seen or the guards will be notified and your bounty will increase. Click the left analog stick to enter sneak mode, if the cursor shows an "open eye" then you can be seen. If you are thinking about picking an item up or looking in a chest/crate and your cursor turns red, it is classed as stealing.

2) As for where to buy it, all you have to do to find out is ask somebody. Approach a guard and say "I need directions" to open the dialog options for relevant shops.

3) Spells can be bought from certain shops (see #2 above) or from people within the mage's guild once you are a full member.

4) Referring to a previous point you made about the maps. A marker will appear on the map showing you the location of your currently activated quest. There are 2 types of maps that you can view, (excluding the one that comes in the game box) when you first open your map you should see the World Map. This can be switched to the Local Map by simply pressing :xbut:

Hope this helps you understand some of the issues you mentioned and allows you to enjoy your Oblivion experience.

I personally loved the game, but since playing Skyrim for a long time and then coming back to Oblivion it seems very repetitive, especially closing Oblivion gates.