Episode 1 Discussion

I understand everyone is excited for Rapture and all, but I've been thinking and there were so many good possibilities left with Columbia. Shame they didn't do anything with it and never will now.

That's what I thought, too. But then I realised that it's still possible we might return to Columbia in the DLC. I mean, you know BioShock and their surprise moments...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand everyone is excited for Rapture and all, but I've been thinking and there were so many good possibilities left with Columbia. Shame they didn't do anything with it and never will now.

I agree, kind of a shame they didn't so anymore story content related to Columbia. This still is very exciting though.

That's what I thought, too. But then I realised that it's still possible we might return to Columbia in the DLC. I mean, you know BioShock and their surprise moments...

If they pull another twist mid DLC, things will be wild!

I agree, kind of a shame they didn't so anymore story content related to Columbia. This still is very exciting though.

Of course, this DLC still looks promising. But I'm currently replaying the story right now and passed the section where you pass through a tear and Booker remarks about he remembers "leading the Vox with Slate..." and dang, that would have been a solid DLC!

From the sounds of it Sander Cohen is going to appear in this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-ken-levine-talks-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea

Ooh, that sounds good!

I wonder who else from BioShock 1 could make a cameo? Fontaine, Ryan, Tenenbaum? Hopefully all of them.

Hey! You still need to play the first BioShock, right? ;)

I think this is a great way for them to merge everything I love about the BioShock franchise. The scary-and-ever-so-slightly-overwhelming force of a single Big Daddy, trying to kill you, the opportunity to mix up combat with the sky-lines, tears, and maybe the return of weapons like the Crossbow or the Chemical Thrower! It'll be great!

Of course, this DLC still looks promising. But I'm currently replaying the story right now and passed the section where you pass through a tear and Booker remarks about he remembers "leading the Vox with Slate..." and dang, that would have been a solid DLC!

I know what you mean, but I feel like we've seen everything we needed to see in Columbia. Jumping back to lead to Vox in an uprising would feel too samey-same with the reality in the core game where the Vox rebelled against Fink and you took a break from fighting them for a while until Fitzroy thought Booker was an impostor and ordered them to attack you.

I wonder how much the Burial at Sea DLC will differ from what we saw in Infinite. Elizabeth still has the thimble on the pinky of her right hand, and Booker's got the A.D. on his right hand as seen in the poster.

Of course, there's also the "always a man, always a lighthouse, always a city" deal, and in this case it's more of Rapture. But with Booker and Elizabeth!

Hey! You still need to play the first BioShock, right? ;)

Yes :o I've been very bad in delaying myself to buy that game. I don't know why!

I know what you mean, but I feel like we've seen everything we needed to see in Columbia. Jumping back to lead to Vox in an uprising would feel too samey-same with the reality in the core game where the Vox rebelled against Fink and you took a break from fighting them for a while until Fitzroy thought Booker was an impostor and ordered them to attack you.

You make a good point, but from what I've seen in past 2010/2011 demos for Infinite, there was so much good material that was scrapped and it could have been introduced in a Columbia-based DLC. Like sky-lines being A LOT more prominent, or Elizabeth having powers beyond her "tears" that work in tandem with Booker's vigors. Stuff like that which was cut could have been awesome in a DLC.

But it's all good. All the articles and interviews with Levine about Burial at Sea will still satisfy my needs. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out!

Yes :o I've been very bad in delaying myself to buy that game. I don't know why!

You make a good point, but from what I've seen in past 2010/2011 demos for Infinite, there was so much good material that was scrapped and it could have been introduced in a Columbia-based DLC. Like sky-lines being A LOT more prominent, or Elizabeth having powers beyond her "tears" that work in tandem with Booker's vigors. Stuff like that which was cut could have been awesome in a DLC.

But it's all good. All the articles and interviews with Levine about Burial at Sea will still satisfy my needs. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out!

I wouldn't count out the possibility just yet. They mentioned 3 story-based DLCs. Burial at Sea is only 2. And if they seriously consider CitC as one of those DLCs, well... I can't imagine they would. Because it isn't. And I'll be more than a little pissed if all we get out of the season pass is just that and Burial parts 1&2. I guess time will tell.

EDIT: Okay... So it looks like CitC is seriously just bullshit filler until Burial gets here. Jesus. When are developers gonna learn that this isn't the kind of content gamers want to pay for? I mean, it's decent. But all the unlockables, concept art, models, etc, shouldn't be rewards in an add-on. That just makes CitC feel like a cop-out. As if "trials" dlc isn't bad enough. The best they can up with for completing them is content that should've been rewarded for completing the game.

God. Way to take a direct cue from Dishonored's first wretched attempt at fitting DLC, Irrational/Levine. This situation is identical.

Meh. At least both devs are getting the final two packs right.

Edited by ThePumpkinKing

EDIT: Okay... So it looks like CitC is seriously just bullshit filler until Burial gets here. Jesus. When are developers gonna learn that this isn't the kind of content gamers want to pay for? I mean, it's decent. But all the unlockables, concept art, models, etc, shouldn't be rewards in an add-on. That just makes CitC feel like a cop-out. As if "trials" dlc isn't bad enough. The best they can up with for completing them is content that should've been rewarded for completing the game.

God. Way to take a direct cue from Dishonored's first wretched attempt at fitting DLC, Irrational/Levine. This situation is identical.

Meh. At least both devs are getting the final two packs right.

Not sure why Arkane Studios did it with Dishonored (because the trials over there sucked) but Levine's reasoning behind CiTC is that of honoring the fans who enjoyed the combat in the game. I can understand that and get behind it though. I'm not complaining, only disappointed not all three batches of content were story-driven.

Like Pumpkin King said, I wouldn't count too much out just yet because of

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea – Episode One

Come back to Rapture in a story that finds Booker and Elizabeth on the eve of the underwater city's fall from grace. Developed by Irrational Games, the developer of the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite, this DLC features Rapture as you’ve never seen it before—a shining jewel at the bottom of the ocean, built almost entirely from scratch in the BioShock Infinite engine. Gameplay has been modified to give the player an original BioShock combat experience that merges the best parts of BioShock and BioShock Infinite: new weapons, new Plasmids/Vigors, Tears, Sky-Lines, and Big Daddies.

Some new, solid info. Right from the home page!

BioShock Infinite's upcoming two-part Burial at Sea DLC campaign add-on will be putting players into the blue dress of Elizabeth, and Irrational has been discussing her new role as protagonist and the gameplay mechanics you can expect when adopting a first-person view with Booker's companion. She won't control like "Booker in a dress," the developer assures.

“With the player getting the opportunity to see how Liz is experiencing the world through first person, we have to be ever so careful to not betray what the player has already experienced of Liz in Infinite and what they're going to experience of Liz in the first part of the DLC,” said Level Designer Amanda Jeffrey.

“That's always foremost in our mind, because Liz is such a different character to Booker, and if we were to just put Booker in a dress, then that would be the most awful betrayal of what we're doing for Liz, and players would just feel like it was a cheap way out, and that's not something that we want to do. So we don't have all of the answers yet for it, but we are very, very, very much aware of all of the dangers that we need to try and avoid.”

Since she won't play anything like Booker, Elizabeth's approach will be more strategic, avoiding combat encounters altogether in some cases. She'll also be able to open Tears, although Irrational is still deciding to what extent Elizabeth's Tear abilities will be playable.

“We're still trying to work out exactly how extensive Liz's tear abilities will be in the playable Liz sequence,” Jeffrey continued. “I hesitate to say too much about what we have just now, because it's entirely possible it will change in the next few weeks. I will say, though, that Elizabeth and her tear abilities are not necessarily a ‘win button.’"

The first part of BioShock Infinite Burial at Sea will take Elizabeth to the depths of Rapture, and will be releasing soon, although a date has yet to be confirmed. Burial at Sea: Episode Two is apparently still early in development, and is slated to release sometime before March 2014. Each Burial at Sea episode will cost 1200 MSP, or you can get it as part of the Season Pass for 1600 MSP. You can also get the Clash in the Clouds DLC now for 400 MSP.

A nice picture too, wonder what Elizabeth's trying to do with the little sister here. Defending it from something, or kidnapping it for various misdeeds? Who knows, with the whole new "femme fatale" look she's got.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/news/biohock_infinite_burial_at_sea_art.jpg

"Since she won't play anything like Booker, Elizabeth's approach will be more strategic, avoiding combat encounters altogether in some cases. She'll also be able to open Tears, although Irrational is still deciding to what extent Elizabeth's Tear abilities will be playable."

And this sounds like a more traditional BioShock (1) approach, more methodical with how you take on a group of guys in a tight room, as opposed to BioShock Infinite's combat where you blast everyone in sight as quickly as possible.

A nice picture too, wonder what Elizabeth's trying to do with the little sister here. Defending it from something, or kidnapping it for various misdeeds? Who knows, with the whole new "femme fatale" look she's got.

/snip

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she's kidnapping it.

Also, I wanna see the new vigors already! I got so giddy every time I picked up a new one during my playthrough of Infinite.

I'm really hoping this is out before mid December.

This is great news. I am currently reading Rapture. The story does a great job describing the rise of Rapture and some of the characters. This new DLC will be even more enjoyable with the backstory from the book to go with it. Ken Levine is a tremendous story teller. The attention to detail really creates a rich experience.

I don't remember where it was, but I thought I read somewhere August 13th as a release date.

I tried googling around for a bit, don't see anything. Nothing on Ken Levine's twitter either.

Payday 2 is out tomorrow, as well as some Phineas and Ferb game. I got nothing on Burial.