What changes do you want to see in Dark Souls II?

KriugerisLT

Wanted to post this in Dark Souls II section, but the forum isn't there for the time being. So I'm posting this here.

What I'm personally looking forward in DSII:

1) Remove "Poise" or interpret it better. Poise ruined the PvP aspect of the game for me. Sure it's now more balanced due to the DWG ring being nerfed but still. Most of the time, people will resort to backstab fishing only, because the opponent is using an Ultra Greatsword with a high poise build. It ruins the PvE too, because you're not required to exercise caution when you can just tank the enemy and take 1-2 hits before staggering. That was not the case in DeS (Demon's Souls, FYI). There you required some basic dodging skills and timing your blocks and attacks with your stamina meter. Sure, heavy armor in DeS was almost irrelevant due to it's weight and the ability to wear light armor without much loss in defense. And rolling was essentially better executed in that game. DWG ring in my opinion is just plain broken. I know, I know, you need to have <25% equip burden or it won't work, but we still have Havel's Ring, so you can still create a Poise heavy armor set without losing out on mobility. The invulnerability frame on that "flip" is just crazy. And you travel twice the normal distance with it than with a regular roll. Broken, just broken...

2) No backstabs for heavy weapons (ex: Ultra Greatswords, Greataxes, Spears, Halberds, Scythes, Hammers etc) The very definition - backstab implies a STABBING motion. Axes, Hammers and Greatswords aren't exactly for stabbing. Limit the backstab to Rapiers, Daggers, Swords, Katanas. Smaller 1HD weapons that actually can stab. Ripostes are fine, since it's a harder thing to actually pull off. Also making the backstabs harder to pull of would be a decent decision. Would promote people to actually learn to PvP in this game, rather than fish for a backstab and hope that the game will lag out for you and grant you a free kill.

3) Host can't heal his phantoms. For co-op this is great, but if you're PvP'ing and invade a world that has a host with 1-2 phantoms - it's a nightmare. You can't heal, with the exception of Humanity or Divine Blessing. But the host can spam the shit out of the Estus flask to keep his phantoms at full health while they keep attacking you without a pause. In DeS, phantoms could heal themselves with Grass items, and it worked great. You could at least punish them with a backstab if a phantom decides to heal. Give the phantoms their own Estus flask and there will be no problems. Lloyd's Talisman exists for a reason.

4) Online servers, though I heard from an interview with Miyazaki that the next Souls game WILL have online servers, so the online interaction between players will be a lot smoother. YAY!

5) A system for reporting cheaters with infinite health and so forth. Face it, this function is sorely needed.

Here's the interview if anybody is interested:

http://pastebin.com/iLF0GSne

I posted it in pastebin due to it's massive lenght, and the 10k character limit.

4Gamer:

Speaking of which, Miyazaki-san said that you will run dedicated servers to support the online system for the game. Will multiplayer aspects be a focus in Dark Souls II?

Shibuya:

Yes. At the center we have the gameplay of a strong standalone game, and from there we focus our efforts on adding online elements and multiplayer elements that utilize the dedicated servers.

I'm already happy. Edited by KriugerisLT

1. remove enemies flying abilities or fix them ( Orenstien ) and auto aiming 180 degree turning jump attacks that cover insane distances on trash (starting mobs) and same with NPCS charged attacks that are able to turn attacker 180 degrees as they make no sense and interrupt flow of combat.

2. Next dragon I want to see is a dragon I can have a good battle with. Dragons in Dark and Demon souls are cool monsters with horribly implemented battles. Also their fire attacks should be effected by player resistances and be blockable at least partially by shield.

3. Teleport spells/items for specific locations hoofing all over the place is getting old

4. magic system should be tweaked as there are very few spells are actually useful. I am talking about sorcery here and a lot of spells look and feel exactly same and just differ by amount of damage which is boring.

5. storage items should have a sort function sifting through items is a giant pain

6. more bosses that can be parried or maybe even everything should be able to be parried with just easier/harder timing except for special attacks maybe implement repost for certain weapons.

7. shields should be nerfed imo. medium shields still feel overpowered. even my 13 strength/stamina magic build is able to wield a shield (albeit with 2 hands) that can block hydra attacks completely in NG+

Edited by asdfen

Have a way to play co-op without having to deal with the invasion bullshit. Either as an option in the game, or maybe as an equipped item such as a ring. It is almost impossible to enjoy this game with friends in certain parts of this game (Anor Londo for example), and most people who invade are hacks anyways. It totally ruins this game for people who really don't want to do PvP. Also, allowing party chat would be nice as well. My friends and I just Skype when playing this game anyways, so I do not see the point in not allowing party chat.

Also, allowing party chat would be nice as well. My friends and I just Skype when playing this game anyways, so I do not see the point in not allowing party chat.

That won't be happening. Funny, I remember when Dark Souls came out, X360 users joked that it was a complete PS3 port, due to not being able to play it while in a Party :D

Chatting system would negate the whole point of the Souls world, interacting through Gestures, messages and Soul Signs. If it were up to me, I would decrease chances of playing with friends. IE you wouldn't be able to find your friends soul sign. Playing with randoms in this game mandatory, IMO. It's mysterious in it's own way, you don't know what you might bump into. At least that was the case in Demon's Souls.

Edited by KriugerisLT

That won't be happening. Funny, I remember when Dark Souls came out, X360 users joked that it was a complete PS3 port, due to not being able to play it while in a Party :D

Chatting system would negate the whole point of the Souls world, interacting through Gestures, messages and Soul Signs. If it were up to me, I would decrease chances of playing with friends. IE you wouldn't be able to find your friends soul sign. Playing with randoms in this game mandatory, IMO. It's mysterious in it's own way, you don't know what you might bump into. At least that was the case in Demon's Souls.

Like I said earlier, if there is no party chat support, Skype is a good alternative. We also do game nights from time to time, so no chat system is required then :D. This game is much more fun when playing with friends, whether it is playing co-op or ganking invaders :)

Better spawns for invaders. Have two or three spawns so people can't camp your spawn and kill you cheaply before you have a chance to do anything.

*invades Oolacile Township, gets immediately TwoP'ed and bled out by Gold Tracers, due to the spawn point sucking so much*

...or ganking invaders :)

I hope I get to play against you and your friends. I hate ganker fags. Hate them because they're too terrible at this game to go 1on1, or at least not heal their phantoms while they're fighting you. Even more hilarious, is when you kill the host's phantoms and you see him running back to the start of the level to summon some more :D

Edited by KriugerisLT

Wanted to post this in Dark Souls II section, but the forum isn't there for the time being. So I'm posting this here.

What I'm personally looking forward in DSII:

1) Remove "Poise" or interpret it better. Poise ruined the PvP aspect of the game for me. Sure it's now more balanced due to the DWG ring being nerfed but still. Most of the time, people will resort to backstab fishing only, because the opponent is using an Ultra Greatsword with a high poise build. It ruins the PvE too, because you're not required to exercise caution when you can just tank the enemy and take 1-2 hits before staggering. That was not the case in DeS (Demon's Souls, FYI). There you required some basic dodging skills and timing your blocks and attacks with your stamina meter. Sure, heavy armor in DeS was almost irrelevant due to it's weight and the ability to wear light armor without much loss in defense. And rolling was essentially better executed in that game. DWG ring in my opinion is just plain broken. I know, I know, you need to have <25% equip burden or it won't work, but we still have Havel's Ring, so you can still create a Poise heavy armor set without losing out on mobility. The invulnerability frame on that "flip" is just crazy. And you travel twice the normal distance with it than with a regular roll. Broken, just broken...

2) No backstabs for heavy weapons (ex: Ultra Greatswords, Greataxes, Spears, Halberds, Scythes, Hammers etc) The very definition - backstab implies a STABBING motion. Axes, Hammers and Greatswords aren't exactly for stabbing. Limit the backstab to Rapiers, Daggers, Swords, Katanas. Smaller 1HD weapons that actually can stab. Ripostes are fine, since it's a harder thing to actually pull off. Also making the backstabs harder to pull of would be a decent decision. Would promote people to actually learn to PvP in this game, rather than fish for a backstab and hope that the game will lag out for you and grant you a free kill.

3) Host can't heal his phantoms. For co-op this is great, but if you're PvP'ing and invade a world that has a host with 1-2 phantoms - it's a nightmare. You can't heal, with the exception of Humanity or Divine Blessing. But the host can spam the shit out of the Estus flask to keep his phantoms at full health while they keep attacking you without a pause. In DeS, phantoms could heal themselves with Grass items, and it worked great. You could at least punish them with a backstab if a phantom decides to heal. Give the phantoms their own Estus flask and there will be no problems. Lloyd's Talisman exists for a reason.

4) Online servers, though I heard from an interview with Miyazaki that the next Souls game WILL have online servers, so the online interaction between players will be a lot smoother. YAY!

5) A system for reporting cheaters with infinite health and so forth. Face it, this function is sorely needed.

Here's the interview if anybody is interested:

http://pastebin.com/iLF0GSne

I posted it in pastebin due to it's massive lenght, and the 10k character limit.

I'm already happy.

An earlier release date?! :p

I would like more interaction with NPC's.

The multiplayer part don't interest me because of all the cheating/lameness

There are plenty of players that play legit without any cheats. And as I said, the game lacks the sort of "police" force that would ban and suspend cheated players. For ex: Open up the Book of Guilty, and the first ~5-6 places will be held by cheaters that somehow even glitched the amount of indictments they have to 60000!

Seriously, they're like deliberately waving their dicks, asking to get banned/suspended. Though nothing is happening to them.

Haven't played this game a whole lot but I hope they fix the glitch where you can get hit through walls. Getting smacked by a Titane Demon's Catch Pole through several walls isn't very exhilerating. ;)

Also, I thought it would be a good idea if the White Sign Soapstone would be a single-use only item instead of having a never-ending supply of it in your inventory. That way people couldn't farm souls and humanity off of bosses and it would make the game that much harder. Just an idea.

I was tempted to make a thread like this months ago, but I thought DSII would get it's own forum :D

- EpicNameBro's "Premium Armor DLC" would actually be something I'd personally like to buy, maybe a vanilla item for 240 MSP that could be used on any full set you're wearing? :D

- Firearms, strong (we're talking about... DragonSlayer GreatBow-ish in terms of damage) but take a large amount of time to reload (two or three seconds.) Maybe the "better" firearms could have some sort of magazine, or burst like Avelyn

- ADS for crossbows (limited range though)

- Fewer amount of Covenants, with greater emphasis on each in a certain way. (Make a vanilla Covenant for each "class" Warrior, Pyromancer, Sorcerer, Cleric/Knight- then add some sort of distinguishable set of moralities for them. Keeping Sunbros, Darkwraiths, and Darkmoons would work well with them too.)

- A "disease system", the Egg-Head syndrome was interesting- but why not add more to the list?

- Make online Coop more "social", it's more of a grievance than an actual mechanic to try and find a specific buddy to coop with- this should definitely be changed.

- Keep the bleak atmosphere from the first two games

- Better "death" animations- for a game that prides itself on stating the obvious, it sure has pretty tame deaths. xD I want to see incinerations, decapitations, pools of blood from Bloodloss, infections on your skin, etc!

1. Some more easily used storage system, foraging through reems of items was a chore.

2. Better ranged control, the crosshair for manually aiming a bow was very off at range, and the crossbow had none. Take it away entirely if necessary so you have to judge your shots by eye but make it more viable to use as a primary offense.

3. I liked the death animations someone put on here, sounds interesting.

4. Give players habits some kind of visual indicator. For example, if someone is a frequent invader and has taken many a life give them a darker aura, or a different colour or a trophy on their armour to represent this, conversely give constant co op players a halo, or a brighter aura. Would be interesting to see.

5. Make the Darkmoon Blades (Or their equivalent) more relevant. Make them stronger depending on the number of sins the perpetrator has committed or something, I love the idea of an in game Police.

6. Be ambitious, I heard talk of boats and chariots and was scared and interested. I want them to make drastic changes but retain the core of the game we have all come to love and cherish. Do not give us all a character to play, making your own one up was one of the joys of the game.

5. Make the Darkmoon Blades (Or their equivalent) more relevant. Make them stronger depending on the number of sins the perpetrator has committed or something, I love the idea of an in game Police.

And make them more tougher and deadlier if they invade the world of a guilty player that has 1-2 phantoms with him. That would certainly make the sinner shit his britches. Haha. And scatter up the ganker trash.

Ontopic: A wider customisation option would be a great idea. What we have now seems very primitive. I'm not saying that it's a feature that the game is seriously lacking, but RPG games are all about customization and individualizing your own character. Also, make it so you could change your hair style and color in the game, after playing for some time. Seems like a small nuisance, but I'm tired of running around with green hair :D

Edited by KriugerisLT

Ontopic: A wider customisation option would be a great idea. What we have now seems very primitive. I'm not saying that it's a feature that the game is seriously lacking, but RPG games are all about customization and individualizing your own character. Also, make it so you could change your hair style and color in the game, after playing for some time. Seems like a small nuisance, but I'm tired of running around with green hair :D

So are we talking... TES-ish, or Dragon's Dogma-ish? :p (Both are pretty good in my opinion though, and would be better than what we currently have in Dark Souls.)

On a side note; I see a lot of people complaining about backstabs- What if having your shield on your back would give you some protection against them? (Not complete immunity, because that would be too powerful- but something like a 40% decrease of damage?) :p

How about disabling them with heavy weapons, and making so that you need to have at least half a bar of stamina to perform it. Backstab is supposed to be a surprise attack, not the ONLY attack to do in PvP like 70% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love to play against backstab fishers (as long as they're not lagging like crazy), setting up parries against them is quite easy. Especially if they're using a heavy weapon that you can decide when to parry due to the visual references. Backstabs are very cheap in this game. Too easy to perform, while let's say a riposte does almost the same amount of damage and is a lot harder to pull off.

+15 Rapier + Hornet ring Riposte with a 45+ DEX character - approx. ~1.5k damage.

+15 Rapier + Hornet ring Backstab (same conditions) - approx. 1.2k damage.

There's no point to do Ripostes in this game, since they are a lot harder to pull off, due to lag and player skill. A backstab is easy to do, and in terms of damage is worth the "easy" path.

Either the damage should be lowered, or they should be a lot harder to pull off.

Edited by KriugerisLT

*invades Oolacile Township, gets immediately TwoP'ed and bled out by Gold Tracers, due to the spawn point sucking so much*

I hope I get to play against you and your friends. I hate ganker fags. Hate them because they're too terrible at this game to go 1on1, or at least not heal their phantoms while they're fighting you. Even more hilarious, is when you kill the host's phantoms and you see him running back to the start of the level to summon some more :D

Don't get mad bro, I just want to play with friends. Your fault if you join a co-op lobby like that :). And no, when my buddies die, I just dash right before I get killed :p. I would like to have a system link option so I can play with friends. There should be a more accessible arena for PvP like the arena in the AotA add-on, for people who actually want to fight other players.

• 3 weeks later...

Get rid of the "man on a ledge" aspect, at least to an extent. I believe there are just over twenty areas in the (pre-expansion) game, out of which one can easily fall to his or her death in all but maybe four.

The ability to step up, instead of running in place because there is a hump in the floor or ground.

Don't really need to swim, but it is odd I can utilize just about any medieval weapon known to man, and many others that were unknown to man, yet three feet of water thwarts me because it is beyond my skill set...:confused:

Edited by Chemistian
Mispelling due to auto-correct.

The ability to step up, instead of running in place because there is a hump in the floor or ground.

^^^^^^^^^^ YES!

By far, one of the mechanics that I thought was so great in Demons' Souls! (I played it after Dark Souls, and I was like "So why isn't this in the sequel? :confused:")

the ability to wear a pendant/necklace. its bizarre that they left this element out of the game. think of the possibilties!

Well, I kinda am indifferent to this (even when ENB mentioned it) since the ring slots already give you a few passive effects.

It's not a bad idea, but... I feel like the necklace equips would feel a little redundant.

• 3 weeks later...
Get rid of the "man on a ledge" aspect, at least to an extent. I believe there are just over twenty areas in the (pre-expansion) game, out of which one can easily fall to his or her death in all but maybe four.

Don't really need to swim, but it is odd I can utilize just about any medieval weapon known to man, and many others that were unknown to man, yet three feet of water thwarts me because it is beyond my skill set...:confused:

Swimming would be dumb, pointless too. Unless wearing no armor...how would you even be able to swim while armored and carrying weapons? I also disagree with your first comment. All the places you can fall are placed perfectly and come in to play nicely in PVP and PVE situations. If people keep falling off to their death, that is their own fault for being unaware of the environment.

Don't get mad bro, I just want to play with friends. Your fault if you join a co-op lobby like that :). And no, when my buddies die, I just dash right before I get killed :p. I would like to have a system link option so I can play with friends. There should be a more accessible arena for PvP like the arena in the AotA add-on, for people who actually want to fight other players.

No...there shouldn't. And dashboarding is for cowards and sissies. PVP shouldn't be forced into a mutual arena. And the way it is set up now is good...if they just let you play with friends at the press of a button it would ruin the feel of the game. You are the type of person I wish didn't play Dark Souls. If you can't handle dying, don't play.

Invading is a big part of the game, don't like it than stay hollow. Or hey...actually play it normally and try defending yourself and enjoying the fight between you and another player.

Edited by Gackt

There are some good opinions in here. Its interesting to read about how different people play this game differently. I think that's the beauty of DS. Its dark, daunting, and the fact you cant routinely find friends is gratifying. I like playing the game alone myself, never PvP, and only summon others for bosses if they are around.