Favorite Old Game?

Nerduh

What is the one game for you that no matter how long it's been, you can jump back into it and keep having a blast.

Mine would probably be the original Halo game. Not the anniversary edition, the one where you got the bad graphics and couldn't care less about it. I have so many memories of having 15 other people at my house and having a LAN party in all in different rooms.

What's yours?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends on how old we're talking here. If you only go back a tiny amount of time, than I have numerous. Halo 1 & 2, Fable: Lost Chapters, Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness... I could really go on forever. If we're talking about 20 years or older, than I'd say Duke Nukem 1 & 2, Wolfenstein 3D, SimAnt, DOOM 1 & 2, and Titanic: A Mystery Out of Time are my big ones. No matter what, I just always return to them (assuming they work on my computer... Stupid W8 not playing Titanic...)

Being young shouldn't stop you from going back and exploring the greats. You've all played Tetris and Pong? Space Invaders? Galaga? Plenty of old classics. I'm only 23, but I've gone back and relived a lot of the classics (plus I've been gaming since I was 3 even though I didn't really get involved heavily in gaming until 2002.)

Being young shouldn't stop you from going back and exploring the greats. You've all played Tetris and Pong? Space Invaders? Galaga? Plenty of old classics. I'm only 23, but I've gone back and relived a lot of the classics (plus I've been gaming since I was 3 even though I didn't really get involved heavily in gaming until 2002.)

Yeah, but you're inhuman. I didn't start 'til I was seven I think, lol. I missed out on a lot on pre-N64 games, but to even find and purchase older consoles would be a fortune I'm sure.

Any of the first three Metal Gear Solids.

I don't have a problem with four, just haven't been through it as many times as 1, 2 and 3.

I still play the first one at least twice a year.

I play them at least once a month, mostly play the first one on the Playstation.

I'll also add Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1, 2 & 3 as well as Streets Of Rage II to that list.

Yeah, but you're inhuman. I didn't start 'til I was seven I think, lol. I missed out on a lot on pre-N64 games, but to even find and purchase older consoles would be a fortune I'm sure.

Inhuman? D: I almost took offense to that uuntil I remembered that's a good thing ^_^ And actually, getting older consoles isn't that expensive. Some of the rarer games are quite costly, but for the most part it's fairly manageable. Of course, you could just always download an emulator. I have a little handheld that allows me to play any console that has a functioning emulator PS1 or older (N64 is out of the question unfortunately)

For those that own the physical games, you've got the Retro Duo Portable that lets you play NES, SNES, and Genesis.

For those more into emulation like I am, you have options like the a380e Pocket or, my favorite, the GCW-Zero Open Source Gaming Device

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f280/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/168f/

No excuse not to return and play the classics now. Go back and get yourself some classic Metroid, Mario Bros., and Excite Bike.

Inhuman? D: I almost took offense to that uuntil I remembered that's a good thing ^_^ And actually, getting older consoles isn't that expensive. Some of the rarer games are quite costly, but for the most part it's fairly manageable. Of course, you could just always download an emulator. I have a little handheld that allows me to play any console that has a functioning emulator PS1 or older (N64 is out of the question unfortunately)

For those that own the physical games, you've got the Retro Duo Portable that lets you play NES, SNES, and Genesis.

For those more into emulation like I am, you have options like the a380e Pocket or, my favorite, the GCW-Zero Open Source Gaming Device

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f280/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/168f/

No excuse not to return and play the classics now. Go back and get yourself some classic Metroid, Mario Bros., and Excite Bike.

I will say what I always tell anyone who encourages me to try a new game: I'll get around to it one day :p

For me a lot sit way back in the older generation.. Metroid, Legend of Zelda and Crystalis on the original Nintendo are games I played and beat 20+ times over. They make my list as all time greats as well. Others I feel like are timeless are Asteroids, Defender, and Tetris.

The original Flashback (on genesis, not the horrible arcade remake), Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, and Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver hold a special place in my gamer heart as well, as do the Strike games released by EA (Desert Strike, Nuclear Strike, Jungle Strike, etc).

I could go on a rant here as i've owned about 15 consoles over the years and go on and on with all the great gaming memories i've had but I limited myself to the first ones that came to mind that I overplayed growing up.

Forgot one of my favorite arcade games of all time (You see kids, back in the 90's we had these things called Arcades. They were builds filled with these giant boxes with TVs and a single game installed inside of them. People would feed these machines quarters and it would allow them to play the game until they ran out of lives or time, where they would then have to feed in more quarters to continue or let somebody else have a turn.)

Anyway, best arcade game ever made was Boong-Ga Boong-Ga. It was a japan-only game, but when I lived in Alaska, we had one of these devices imported over and I was able to get my fingers on it. I won't tell you what this game is about though. I'll leave it up to you to go to Youtube and research it for yourselves.

Depends on how old...

Back in the day I used to play a fair bit of a game called myth of soma which was a mental games an MMORPG infact. (no not myth of soma blade of heaven, someone bought the name rights when myth of soma shut down :()

The fun I had on that was awesome.

But if you meant older school, I'd have to say anything that I owned for the Commodore 64, sure the system was primitive with tape deck loading, but I thought it was amazing.

It was the only system I could use when my brother was around :p (until I got very own mega drive!) where he had an NES !