Nightmare Creatures

Tussell

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/86/Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg/256px-Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

Nightmare Creatures is a 3D action/adventure video game released for the Sony PlayStation and PC in 1997, and Nintendo 64 in 1998. It was published by Activision and developed by Kalisto Entertainment. Upon its release, Nightmare Creatures drew comparisons to Eidos's Tomb Raider and Capcom's Resident Evil.

The story behind Nightmare Creatures draws upon gothic horror elements of the 19th century. The story begins in 1666, when a devil-worshipping cult called the Brotherhood of Hecate were conducting sinister experiments in London so as to take over the city, and then the world. The Brotherhood tried to develop an elixir that would endow them with superhuman powers. However, rather than creating their intended superhumans, their experiments created only nightmarish creatures. When they decided to use these creatures as an army of conquest, one of their number, Samuel Pepys, set their headquarters on fire, resulting in the First Great Fire of London.

The game takes place during 1834 when London falls victim to several evil occurrences. Monster sightings are reported along with news of people mutating into ungodly creatures, and that the dead are waking from their graves and walking amongst the living. All of London is in a panic and vulnerable to the ghastly schemes of Adam Crowley, a mad scientist and occultist enlisting the help of the Brotherhood. Until, one day when a mysterious book is dropped off at the home of Ignatius Blackward, a priest and occult expert. He soon discovers that the book is a lost diary of Samuel Pepys, which contained the Brotherhood's research. Knowing he needs help, Ignatius sends off the diary to a renowned American immunologist named Dr. Jean Franciscus of New Orleans, who shows up with his daughter Nadia in tow. The good doctor is promptly murdered and the book stolen. At the funeral, Ignatius and Nadia are approached by a man who gives them a note reading: "Know about Adam Crowley, Brotherhood of Hecate --- HVHJ." On Oct. 17, 1834, Ignatius and Nadia head out to an address listed on the note, hoping to seek out Crowley and to resolve the monstrous activity that grips London.

The game's themes and gameplay are a noteworthy reference to such classics as Castlevania and Alone in the Dark series.

Has anyone ever played this? I'd love to get my hands on it again and try and beat it.

• 1 month later...

Dude, I loved this game. It had one of the best soundtracks... so much so, that I used to listen to it in my CD player when I wasn't playing.

My gawd, I can only think of how awful it would be now. I bet the graphics would make the eyes bleed and the controls would probably be so bad that you would want to cut the paws off innocent kitties after playing. Hm, come to think of it, it actually had a decent story, too.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I remembering playing the demo of this game alot and the only reason I got and played this game was because you could play through the game as the creatures lol. I never really played the actual game for story or anything that I can remember. I just wanted to play for doing weird stuff in it like being the creatures. It's rare to be able to do that in a game, especially one where you change every level, loved it!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

First one : I had to play it with cheats on, the game was way too hard and even in the dreamcast era it felt very dated graphically. Still some potential and actually fun, if only you could ru it on "easy"

Second Game : Good set-ups and environement, killer soundtrack, decent graphics but oh terrible gameplay... repetitive, uninspired... i actually reviewed the game for a french website back then...

I would not go back and play either of these today again. But i would definately be interested in a complete remake (graphic, gameplay, scenario) , more or less if they would take inspiration of the 2 games but make something new in a similar gameplay fashion (beat em all)