what 'is' destiny ?

JORDAN K 95

hi all,

ive watched the destiny trailer and read some previews, but am a little confused :S

to, from the trailer to me it seems that this is a sort of runescape/starcraft/cod fps sort of game :S

im confused because ive seen the trailer and towards the end you see fps stuff, but then people are saying about requiring a constant online connection :S

the trailer makes it look a LOT more than just a campaign and multiplayer game.

Help? :S

Here you go.

Here is a quick FAQ from IGN has a lot of info about the game.

Destiny: Quick FAQ - IGN

Selections.

Does it require an Internet connection then?

Yes. (at all times)

Is there a subscription fee?

No.

What platforms is it coming out for?

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, “future generation technology” (read: Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4).

What does it remind you of?

A bit of Planetside 2, a dash of Borderlands 2, and of course Halo.

When and where is it set?

Post-apocalyptic earth. It’s not nuclear fallout or anything this time. Here’ humanity was pushed to the brink after a collapse and rescued by a mysterious force called the Traveler, a giant globe/moon thing that hovers over earth’s last great city and protects humans. Now we’ve rebounded enough to start exploring the galaxy again, but bad dudes are out there looking to keep us on the endangered species list.

When is it coming out?

Unknown. We previously assumed fall 2013 as an Xbox 360, PS3, and next-gen launch title. But Activision recently announced that it does not expect anything from Bungie in its 2013 fiscal guidance to investors.

What the heck does “shared world shooter” mean?

Basically, it’s an MMO, but you can play the entire game solo or in small co-op groups.

Who do I play as?

A generic hero called a Guardian.

Are there character classes?

At least three: Titan (big guns), Hunter (sniper rifles/stealth), and Warlock (magic).

Will there be character customization?

Yes, loads of it. Gear, weapons, you name it.

Are there vehicles?

Yep, plenty. The two we saw art of were the Pike (seems similar to Halo’s Ghost) and the Spider Tank).

Where are some of the places I can go?

Every planet in our solar system: Earth, the Moon, Mars, Saturn, etc.

How about competitive multiplayer?

That’s definitely in there too, though you’ll have to volunteer to do it, i.e. you won’t suddenly get shot in the back of the head by some griefer on Xbox Live.

Parsons said some kind of Destiny experience will be available on mobile devices, on which you'll do "meaningful things... maybe things you can only do on a device but are then paid off inside the Destiny universe."
On PC version

Parsons said: "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned." No mention was made of a Wii U version.

Other things:

- Supposedly Bungie has stated there will be dungeons and "6 man" raids.

- Some kind of loot system

- "Social" emphasis

- No lobby or matchmaking

- Living world

Edited by Echilion

• 3 months later...
Take Halo's familiar FPS features, take Borderlands "open-world-RPG" elements, take any MMO's ability to support dozens+ players in the same world at the same time.

You have Destiny.

yeah, its been a while since i visited this thread, right now im going through all of the e3 games threads.

--

after seeing the gameplay it looks AWESOME a cross between halo and borderlands. but before seeing gameplay i wasnt really sure about how it would turn out to be. now i know it will be EPIC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, this looks like a first-person Defiance with a stronger narrative and better side-missions that don't just involve finding and pressing a button.

Defiance's biggest issue is it sucked. It's not fun. It's balanced backwards. And poorly developed by a lazy team of developers who couldn't be bothered to change patch notes for separate versions of the game lol.

Wanna know how excited I was for Defiance? I bought the 150 dollar ultimate edition because I was super sure it was gonna be soooooooooo great.

Gackt made a bad....bad call.

Destiny looks like nothing but fun to me, and nothing like Defiance lol.

Defiance's biggest issue is it sucked. It's not fun. It's balanced backwards. And poorly developed by a lazy team of developers who couldn't be bothered to change patch notes for separate versions of the game lol.

Wanna know how excited I was for Defiance? I bought the 150 dollar ultimate edition because I was super sure it was gonna be soooooooooo great.

Gackt made a bad....bad call.

Destiny looks like nothing but fun to me, and nothing like Defiance lol.

Yea, and since it's made by Bungie (Who have a good track record) it'll most likely be amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

i feel destiny is going to be amazing, it's going to be what Defiance wanted to be

trion(defiance) simply isn't financially strong enough to be able to spend the money to make the game run the way it should

bungie, on the other hand, has the financial means to be able to make destiny run and play the way it should

also, a mix of borderlands and halo sounds AMAZING