Dark Souls: The New Castlevania

XperimntNterror

So the more time I spend playing this, the more I feel like I'm playing a totally new, awesome-as-hell, Castlevania re-invention.

Just about everything in this game reminds me of Castlevania: The locations, the enemies, the lore (to a certain degree). The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.

What does everyone else think? Does this game remind you of any other games from the past (aside from the obvious Demon's Souls)?

Personally, I think Konami should've licensed the re-imagining of Castlevania to these guys. I think they would've been a perfect fit and really would've rejuvenated the series more so than what Mercury Steam did.

I think a Castlevania licence would be a waste. From Software has already proven that they can create their own original games that are just as enthralling as anything Konami has done with Castlevania (particularly the 3d ones).

I haven't played Demon's Souls but the closest comparison I could think of when playing this was actually something like ocarina of time albeit a much darker more mature game with a more varied and open approach to the way you can play.

So the more time I spend playing this, the more I feel like I'm playing a totally new, awesome-as-hell, Castlevania re-invention.

Just about everything in this game reminds me of Castlevania: The locations, the enemies, the lore (to a certain degree). The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.

What does everyone else think? Does this game remind you of any other games from the past (aside from the obvious Demon's Souls)?

Personally, I think Konami should've licensed the re-imagining of Castlevania to these guys. I think they would've been a perfect fit and really would've rejuvenated the series more so than what Mercury Steam did.

when i first played dark souls i have this feeling too, but just a better experience because I was viewing bloodsteins and laughing at how ppl died, then I soon joined them as well... but not cliff fall deaths.

• 4 months later...
The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.

I don't know what soundtrack you're listening to but I got the download for the soundtrack with the Collector's Edition and think it's one of the best soundtracks for a game I've ever heard. It's fantastic. Honestly I think it's better than the score for alot of fantasy movies. It's a bummer they didn't make it available for people outside of the Collector's Edition.

Favorite track off the top of my head:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dTeRroCZI]Dark Souls OST - Dark Sun Gwyndolin - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by WalterWhite

I don't know what soundtrack you're listening to but I got the download for the soundtrack with the Collector's Edition and think it's one of the best soundtracks for a game I've ever heard. It's fantastic. Honestly I think it's better than the score for alot of fantasy movies. It's a bummer they didn't make it available for people outside of the Collector's Edition.

Favorite track off the top of my head:

Dark Souls OST - Dark Sun Gwyndolin - YouTube

Ash Lakes music is great too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bvJ7UagoTc]Dark Souls Music - The Ancient Dragon/ Ash Lake - YouTube[/ame]

For the longest time I could almost hear the music that you get upon entering any zone.....every time I entered any room in my house. If only I could get 'Living Room' or 'Bathroom' text to pop up in my real life! Someone needs to chronicle their day on YouTube in that manner. :p

And let us not forget:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvFnR0kJFw]Nameless Song - Dark Souls Soundtrack - YouTube[/ame]

I could pretty much listen to this on an endless loop. Ironically, I listen to the soundtrack more out of game then while playing. Usually I have Dream Theater or Opeth ripping while in game. But yeah, amazing soundtrack. I love farming twinkling titanite in Ash Lake simply because I can listen to that music all day long. I think we own different soundtracks.