Stuck in first damn arena... huge rant

Nevander

EDIT: Refer to post #14.

Right out of the gate I hated this DLC, and still do after completing it.

I was at the very end of the first arena. Two Handymen at the same time and a Patriot. The Patriot isn't a problem, but the two Handymen who are constantly on me are. So I was doing okay at first, dodging attacks and staying on the sky-line, shooting rockets and trying to lower their health to hit them with different vigors for the challenge.

Eventually I got cornered and died, lost the challenge. Then I got stuck in an infinite death loop. I resurrect so that I can finish the wave at least and they have all their health back. They spawn kill me because they both do the electrical attack at the same time. I die again, and the cycle repeats.

I'm not bad at shooters either. What I'm bad at is shooters where the enemies are always on you and that also do an unfair amount of damage, like the Handymen. It's bad enough that they shake your screen so you can't see anything, all the while they are hitting you and shooting their electric balls at you.

Oh well. Lovely DLC right?

Edited by Nevander

1. Get on the skyline immediately.

2. Kill the Patriot as soon as possible.

3. Shoot the Handymen while riding the skyline. As long as you don't decelerate, the electrical attacks shouldn't hit you. Focus on one Handyman; if you kill him he won't respawn, even if you die.

4. Jump off the skyline when it is about to be electrocuted.

5. Run like hell until the skyline is safe. Get some easy heart shots if you're feeling brave.

6. Get back on the skyline.

7. Repeat steps 3-6.

1. Get on the skyline immediately.

2. Kill the Patriot as soon as possible.

3. Shoot the Handymen while riding the skyline. As long as you don't decelerate, the electrical attacks shouldn't hit you. Focus on one Handyman; if you kill him he won't respawn, even if you die.

4. Jump off the skyline when it is about to be electrocuted.

5. Run like hell until the skyline is safe. Get some easy heart shots if you're feeling brave.

6. Get back on the skyline.

7. Repeat steps 3-6.

unfortunately the same thing happened to me and this doesn't work. you are dead before you can move. i died about 5 times before my xbox froze.

unfortunately the same thing happened to me and this doesn't work. you are dead before you can move. i died about 5 times before my xbox froze.

I've beaten the first area like four times and it worked every time. Maybe try some of the other areas so you can add more Infusions to your health and shield.

Not to be too dismissive about it, but the DLC does get easier the longer you play: the more waves you complete, the more money you get to upgrade your weapons and Vigors. If you have only attempted the first arena, I suggest you move on to the second arena: you'll make more money than in the first and earn more infusions and gear. Come back and tackle the first later on.

That said: in my experience, the Handyman on the central tower will just stand there and use his shock attack at you, as long as you don't attack it. You might try attempting to take it out first, as the second Handyman and the Patriot generally don't jump up there that early on. If you have it, try using Charge plus either Devil's Kiss or the flaming melee gear. Undertow should also temporarily stun it, allowing for easy heart shots. Finally, Handymen are slightly vulnerable to the Murder of Crows / Devil's Kiss combo, though I would reserve that for the second.

The order I've taken those three down are: top Handyman, the Patriot (usually with either Shock Jockey or Return to Sender), and finally the second Handyman. The area two floors beneath the central tower has tears with both Salts and Medkits, which makes it an excellent area to take out the latter two enemies.

Finally, buy extra lives from the door; if you have not done this, an extra life keeps enemies at whatever health they had when you die, and do not negate the challenges. You can even buy another extra life mid-wave from the door. (Up to three may be bought per arena playthroughs.)

Hit them with murder of crows and take out the patriot while they're distracted then bunch them both up right in front of you and just keep hitting them with crows and unloading your entire clip into them (I use the carbine and sniper on handymen, not RPG) and repeat until they're dead. Using this method a lot of times you can kill 2 handymen at a time without ever even being damaged. Sometimes you'll screw up the timing and let them get out of the crows or run out of salts and you'll have to haul ass over to the nearest salt tear but overall this method makes handymen a piece of cake.

Not to be too dismissive about it, but the DLC does get easier the longer you play: the more waves you complete, the more money you get to upgrade your weapons and Vigors. If you have only attempted the first arena, I suggest you move on to the second arena: you'll make more money than in the first and earn more infusions and gear. Come back and tackle the first later on.

This... as I just realized. I now have all 15 challenges in the first arena. Working on the second one and third one now. Haven't attempted the fourth yet at all.

I love how I failed the decoy one on Raven's Dome because the last Patriot smacked the decoy RIGHT as I shot his back. Of course.

And how I also failed wave 15 there because all three enemies (the Handyman and the two Firemen) FELL TO THEIR DEATH. If the AI is too stupid to stay on the map, why should the player be penalized for it? Seriously. AI falling to their death should not count against you, period. If you cause it, then that's a different story.

I got stuck at the last wave in the first arena. I absolutely hate that the Handymen can spawn kill you. Basically got stuck in a death loop. I never had time to run away and if I quit out I have to restart the arena. I also dislike that you can't restart a wave with different guns (I didn't find a way to do this anyway).

Hate this DLC so much already. The combat in Bioshock games have never been stellar enough to have it's own DLC in my opinion. This horde mode is as lacklustre and awful as I feared it would be. Will give it another try but for me this is a massive let down after such a good campaign.

EDIT: Have now played the DLC for a bit longer and as some of you have mentioned it does get easier with time. I still think the balance is a bit off and some of the ribbons are kind of forced. I do not however hate it any more. Still not what I was hoping for.

Edited by Reggiez
Have now played the DLC for a bit longer

Unfortunately, there does seem to bit more than a few glitches/issues with this DLC. Some weird stuff can happen during waves, some of which can cost you the whole round. Uninitiated AI deaths are probably the biggest of them, and worse yet, they're automatically counted against you as the game doesn't seem to recognize its own fault.

I'm glad I got all the ribbons, but it wasn't easy or fun.

I'm all done with the 195:gsicon: now and I have got to say, it gets much easier. My advice to anyone starting this DLC: do not worry about ribbons at all at first. Get the ones you can, but mainly try to just beat each arena and get some upgrades!

When going through waves normally, always use Return to Sender. That will keep you alive. I always use Carbine and Sniper. When there is a Handyman or Siren, I take the Hail Fire with me. Use Undertow + Shock Jockey + Carbine unload for Patriots. Carbine/Sniper for normal enemies.

The DLC gets much easier after you have upgraded all the weapons and vigors.

or just the hail fire :p

i'm telling you.. 2 handymen, undertoe them both to you and unload with the hail fire. it will take them out within 2 clips on hard mode(12 shots per clip, I have the gear that extends magazine size on). patriots shouldn't cause any trouble what so ever, there's a million ways to take them out easily

I got through it fine, and also got the blue ribbon challenge done on my first time through. All I did was shoot the patriot with a sniper once or twice then use undertow to finish him off, it does strong damage. Then just get on the lower level of the map and run in circles around those two walls. One patriot is just going to be on top, while the other is chasing you. Keep using undertow on the the one that is at you then finish him off with something else. Then repeat for the last handyman.

The difficulty is unreasonable? I guess you havent played through on 1999 mode because this is easier than that. playthrough each arena once just concentrating on clearing it buy your upgrades then go back through for the ribbons.

Does everyone want games to be no challenge these days?

The difficulty is unreasonable? I guess you havent played through on 1999 mode because this is easier than that. playthrough each arena once just concentrating on clearing it buy your upgrades then go back through for the ribbons.

I can only speak for myself, but I found the entirety of this DLC to be reasonable except for the Blue Ribbon Challenge structure. Having to play through 13 waves to get a shot at the wave 14 challenge is dumb.

Undertow, Return to Sender, and Hail Fire are your best friends in this.

Also getting to specific waves doesn't take very long if you just go in killing everyone by tossing them off the edge with undertow and not worrying about ribbons on those. It also helps to purchase the extra life at the challenge you need the ribbon on in case you screw up (I believe you can only buy 3 in total for the 15 rounds)

It's not so much about not having any kind of challenge, it's just about it being an unfair challenge right from the start. I know you need to play it more and get upgrades and such, but for some people with this type of game, they may find it extremely difficult and it could put them off of it.

I think one of the big "problems" is the balancing between the challenges. "Don't get hit for 30 seconds" ... ololol. "Kill all enemies with his type of weapon" ... *someone jumps off the edge or get killed by friendly fire* WTF?!

If you know how to do the single ribbons it's not as hard but if the enemies won't act like they should THAT is the really annoying thing.

I think one of the big "problems" is the balancing between the challenges. "Don't get hit for 30 seconds" ... ololol. "Kill all enemies with his type of weapon" ... *someone jumps off the edge or get killed by friendly fire* WTF?!

If you know how to do the single ribbons it's not as hard but if the enemies won't act like they should THAT is the really annoying thing.

I agree with you on that, started wave 4 today on Ravens Dome as I only need 4 ribbons on that map and wave 4 is kill with only vigor traps, before I could even get off the barge id failed vecause someone had fallen to their death.