Onyx Medals Guide and Discussion

Nikke84

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally have Wingman, TDM, Execution and CTL onyx with KOTH coming with Skunker. My only problem is Warzone. I have about 1000 give or take a few, just from playing online, but I don't want to play 2000 more. When I attempt to idle Warzone, I get more stalemates than anything else. Should I just increase the time limit and hope for the best? I thought TDM would take the longest but at this rate, Warzone may never be finished. :(

Finally have Wingman, TDM, Execution and CTL onyx with KOTH coming with Skunker. My only problem is Warzone. I have about 1000 give or take a few, just from playing online, but I don't want to play 2000 more. When I attempt to idle Warzone, I get more stalemates than anything else. Should I just increase the time limit and hope for the best? I thought TDM would take the longest but at this rate, Warzone may never be finished. :(

Yes, definitely increase the round time. With 1 min rounds you'll get loads of stalemates. At least 3 mins. Hardcore bots. Boomshots. Friendly fire on. Anything to make the games end quicker. I have my round times at 5 min. Obviously this is only a maximum to accommodate a longer game/bigger map and most matches will end way before the time elapses. I didn't find Warzone a problem with the right settings, but it's harder since the updates changed the rules somewhat.

Yes, definitely increase the round time. With 1 min rounds you'll get loads of stalemates. At least 3 mins. Hardcore bots. Boomshots. Friendly fire on. Anything to make the games end quicker. I have my round times at 5 min. Obviously this is only a maximum to accommodate a longer game/bigger map and most matches will end way before the time elapses. I didn't find Warzone a problem with the right settings, but it's harder since the updates changed the rules somewhat.

Alright, I'm going to bump it up to 5 min since I was running 3 to begin with. Never thought to try boomshots for some reason, I can see them helping. Recommend 1 controller or 2? 1 will probably finish Hard Target quicker.

Alright, I'm going to bump it up to 5 min since I was running 3 to begin with. Never thought to try boomshots for some reason, I can see them helping. Recommend 1 controller or 2? 1 will probably finish Hard Target quicker.

Yes, use a dummy controller since this balances out the odds by having an AFK on both teams so you are more likely to get wins. This will also help if you decide to go for Skunks.

Slightly counter-intuitive perhaps but the Hardcore bots do seem to be more objective focused and therefore a better option than Insane bots. I certainly found this in CTL. But back to Warzone.

The approach I use is as described. I didn't bother with deleting or moving the DLC maps. The only other difference is using a turbo controlller. I have a very cheap, basic wired turbo controller. I use this to mash the :abut: and go into cover.

So using this set up I've found I can efficiently farm the Cover medals, Last Man Out, Wins etc. as well as rack up the matches played.

Good luck, and if anything is still unclear let me know.

Yes, use a dummy controller since this balances out the odds by having an AFK on both teams so you are more likely to get wins. This will also help if you decide to go for Skunks.

Slightly counter-intuitive perhaps but the Hardcore bots do seem to be more objective focused and therefore a better option than Insane bots. I certainly found this in CTL. But back to Warzone.

The approach I use is as described. I didn't bother with deleting or moving the DLC maps. The only other difference is using a turbo controlller. I have a very cheap, basic wired turbo controller. I use this to mash the :abut: and go into cover.

So using this set up I've found I can efficiently farm the Cover medals, Last Man Out, Wins etc. as well as rack up the matches played.

Good luck, and if anything is still unclear let me know.

Yes, hardcore bots ftw. Insane bots are more survival-oriented and tend to stay in cover. A lot. I think you helped me with my CTL dilemma a while back as well. Thanks again!

can anybody tell me what are the updates from games, since i lefted the forums a long agoand i dont know if happened some updates in gamemodes, and the method you used to get Hammerburst, pistols, and heavy weapons onyxed ?

I noticed another Title Update yesterday. I have no idea what that one did. I believe that Warzone can now only be won by eliminating the opposing team, so if you're idle boosting with short rounds you will get a lot of stalemates. Bummer. I'm also told that the medal requirement for Nemesis has been reduced substantially. Besides that, I'm not 100% sure. Some of the exploits for boosting have been removed (e.g. you cannot prestige the Onyx Field Engineer medal) altogether but I think the majority of recommended methods for boosting/grinding these medals still apply.

For weapon kills, I was using TDM on Mercy with maximum respawns. I think it's partly down to personal choice and what you find the least tedious. It is a grind, so nothing wrong with choosing a set-up you find enjoyable, or changing things around once in a while. Some people prefer using KOTH which makes sense but I've yet to try that method.

For pistol kills, I went with Nikke84's (aka NikkeSWE on YouTube) method to stack captor/pistol/headshot kills. Check out his video here:

With the above method I also use the 2nd controller to plant a smoke grenade which my main account then shoots to farm the Sapper medal. I move closer to the captor while the countdown is on, which makes a kill with the pistol/headshot easier.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by TheGreyMan

Found an easy way to boost guardian and get some finisher medals, only need people and an idle controller.

Set up CTL with the two active players on opposite teams and and the idle controller on the team of whichever player is boosting. Make sure the idle player is leader and have the other leader keep capturing him while the idle's teammate saves him. One plAyer will get credit towards the guardian medal and the other player will get credit towards execution because capping the leader counts as an execution. Throw in spots and active reloads if you need to. Fastest way I've found to boost guardian

I joined this site just to be able to add to this incredibly helpful thread.

Maximizing Earning Points towards Onyx Medals: Part 1

Adding on to Easy Captor/Pistols/Headshots

<<< ... a lot of text here snipped... >>>

25 Headshots X 15 Rounds = 375 Headshots per Match

25 Pistol Kills X 15 Rounds = 375 Pistols per Match

25 Active Reloads X 15 Rounds = 375 Active Reloads per Match +

25 Spotters X 15 Rounds = 375 Spotters per Match

25 Captor X 15 Rounds = 375 Captors per Match

25 Special Teams X 15 Rounds = 375 Special Teams per Match

2 Finishers X 15 Rounds = 30 Finishers per Match

2 Sappers X 15 Rounds = 30 Sappers per Match

Plus you should also get for going the 15 Rounds:

1 Match Winner

1 TDM

Unfortunately, since a non-filled match doesn’t give out ribbons this misses out on getting at least 6 Covered per match.

Hopefully this helps a few people maximize their boosting.

What if I fill the game with bots and kill all the bots at the start of every round?

This should add Buttoned Up ribbon + kills with desired weapon.

Edited by SmaGreBaz

I have a question pertaining to the Insane Horde Onyx Medal: If waves 44-50 were cleared in another person's session on insane difficulty, do I have to do it all again to get credit for the medal If I start up another game, but on the same difficulty and map, or will the medal pop up upon completion of 43?

I have a question pertaining to the Insane Horde Onyx Medal: If waves 44-50 were cleared in another person's session on insane difficulty, do I have to do it all again to get credit for the medal If I start up another game, but on the same difficulty and map, or will the medal pop up upon completion of 43?

AFAIK it tracks the waves you've done and it doesn't matter whether they are spread across different sessions and out of sequence. Fingers crossed : )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So what's the quickest way to do heavy weapons? Mulcher or Mortars? Which map? I kind of miss Security now. I remember on Gears 2 playing KotH a couple times on there and sitting on the mortar spawn just firing at the hill. lol

What I do is use the mortar on the map Mercy, on usually Team Deathmatch. I just shoot at the spawns while I'm at the middle of the map, up top.

Does team killing count for the weapon kills? I'm curious because I'm pretty sure I just got a Top of the Hill ribbon for killing my own bot teammate. lol

Unfortunately, no. It only counts for killing enemies on the other team.