After 3 years, is Fallout 3 still one of the best?

GrayK

Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?

• Fallout 3 is still today the best game I have ever played on a 7th generation console
    • Fallout 3 is one of the best games along with GTA iv and metal gear solid 4
    • Fallout 3 was good, but it's a huge stretch to consider it one of the best games ever.
    • Played Fallout 3 and I did not like it either because I sucked at it or I thought it was terrible
    • I have never played Fallout 3.

It's been 3 years since Bethesda released Fallout 3, the game that decimated many peoples social lives, won over critics hearts and conquered the 2008 game awards. Even with other hard hitting games such as GTA IV and Metal Gear Solid 4, which I remind you are some of the best rated games of all time, Fallout 3 practically beat all of them. Now 3 years later, multitude of games such as countless COD games, red dead redemption, Mass Effect 2, and Uncharted 2, have all tried to get where Fallout 3 was 3 years ago.

I believe Fallout 3 is the best 7th generation console or PC games to date and will be for a long time. However what do others think, was Fallout 3 just a fad, or was it a good game but since then has lost much of it's lister since more recent critically acclaimed games have been released, or are you one of those people who has played it 4 times through even though you got all the achievements first time through, and you still find enjoyment in the game?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I bought the GOTY edition in 2009 i think and played it for a few months. But I bever could "get into" this game. I was to big, I got lost in the wastelands. Then I gave it a try halfway 2010 and again... i couldn't find my way.

A few weeks I wanted to sell my copy, but wanted to give it a 3rd try. I decided to do Anchorage. Because that was a "small" story and after that DLC I nevers stopped playing. :)

I'm hooked to this game and i'd say it's one of the best games I've ever played.

For instance when I started Red Dead Redemption i was hooked from the beginning'till the end.

I voted ffor best game, beacuse there was no other optopn. I hated GTA (played the last one on the x360), I only liked Vice and I played that on the PC and I never played Metal Gear Solid. So option 2 is a no go for me. As for 3 and 4.

Fallout 3 is not THE best game I've ever played on the console, but it's mucht better then GTA. It's one of my favorites together with Bad Company 2 and I know that Battlefield 3 wil be the best game of 2011, 2012 and 2013 LOL

Edited by BSH 1975

I bought the GOTY version back in 2009 as well only to play it up to leaving the vault and putting the game back on my shelf in it's shrink wrap xD picked it up a few days ago and I'm really getting into it now and feel like a right donut for leaving it for so long before giving it a 2nd chance :p

i think there are a lot of reasons why Fallout 3 is such a great game such as:

1) Meaningful exploration: Fallout 3 was a large place (which should be a given) and like in many rockstar games, the location is often can be a character itself. Also in Fallout 3, the exploration was worth the travel because there was a 90% chance that a unmarked sidequest (that you actually wanted to do, unlike in its successor) would happen and you would enjoy it, or it would have something meaningful for your travel.

2) Fallout 3 plot never got too big or complicated for its own good: The plot was pretty simple compared to other games where developers would take a big leap in storytelling or complex plot that more often than not, it crashes and burns,leaves the player confused, or maybe the player just wont care anymore. Bethesda played it safe by having a small story that people could more than likely relate to in some way and care about the outcome of the game. many people including myself all remember taking a vow to absolutely destroy the enclave after they killed your father james in project purity. There are very few games such as the Mass Effect series where you can spend ages deciding on a simple decision because how it they know that decision will impact the world they inhabit forever. Fallout 3 is one of those games that gets you emotionally invested and care about your decisions.

3) Karma is a female Dog: Like i said previously Fallout 3 is one of a few games still today that made you pause and think of the outcome. I remember the first time i played fallout 3, i hesitantely nuked megaton for the need of cash and a place to crash. After i nuked it, i went to ground zero eventually to see my glory. What i saw made me regret the decision to nuke them, because i felt that the world had suddenly become a lot more emptier than it was before, and immediately went back and decided to save the town in previous save file. One of the many reasons why i found it hard to commit crimes agianst people was that i realised the value of humans (the ones who wouldnt start shooting me on site) because i knew they were essentail to my survival.

4) Memorable DLC: Even though Point Lookout and Broken Steel are pretty much the better DLC of the five, the rest was still worth all the money i paid with it. Though they other 3 were lacking in many of the freedoms in the superior 2, they still did a good job of feeding that addiction to play fallout 3, because they were different from main story, had cool stuff to collect, DLC was filled to the brim with cool things, and after you completed it, you could hardly wait till the next piece of DLC arrived, I'm still waiting for the next 6th piece of DLC to come out for Fallout 3.

These are many of the reasons even after playing games like Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA IV, Uncahrted 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Mass Effect 2, i can still come back to the game and play it like it was my very first time.

Well when I say one of the best games along with GTA IV and MGS series, I don't restrict it to just them. Those were just some of the games that could be seen as one of the best games ever along with half-life series, mass effect series, uncharted 2, legend of zelda. May have been my fault but I thought people would see that I was just using GTA IV and MGS as some examples of exemplary games I have ever played, and to others maybe Fallout 3 is up there as your favourites along with N.U.D.E. or call of duty 3. It doesn't have to be just MGS or GTA IV.

Well when I say one of the best games along with GTA IV and MGS series, I don't restrict it to just them. Those were just some of the games that could be seen as one of the best games ever along with half-life series, mass effect series, uncharted 2, legend of zelda. May have been my fault but I thought people would see that I was just using GTA IV and MGS as some examples of exemplary games I have ever played, and to others maybe Fallout 3 is up there as your favourites along with N.U.D.E. or call of duty 3. It doesn't have to be just MGS or GTA IV.

Well, from what I can see, and from what I've heard friends on live say, not many people consider GTA IV to be an "exemplary" game. Bad example. Should've just put "Easily in my top 5" or something along those lines. I bet that'd get 90% of the vote.

Well, from what I can see, and from what I've heard friends on live say, not many people consider GTA IV to be an "exemplary" game. Bad example. Should've just put "Easily in my top 5" or something along those lines. I bet that'd get 90% of the vote.

Well according to websites like metacritic which gave it a 98/100, 99.9% of every critic who rated the game, and in my opinion, GTA IV is one of the greatest games of 7th generation, and maybe even ever.

Well according to websites like metacritic which gave it a 98/100, 99.9% of every critic who rated the game, and in my opinion, GTA IV is one of the greatest games of 7th generation, and maybe even ever.

Yes, because critics, people just like you and me, are always a good meter to rate games. You can take them into account, but just because some dude that writes for a magazine says a game is good or bad doesn't mean that's the end all, be all. For an example, the most recent Transformers game got terrible reviews, but most of the people I talk to that have played it enjoyed it as far as a one-two playthrough game. Homefront got destroyed by most people, but there are still a lot of people that loved the campaign, even though it was so short.

The point isn't that GTA IV was good or not (which it wasn't even as good as the last 3, by the way), it's that your option in the poll was dumb. You left no option for people that loved the game, but like another one better. You went from "Best ever" to "It was okay". If you loved GTA IV, good for you. I'm glad you didn't feel like you wasted 65 bucks like I did, but that doesn't mean that anyone else likes it, and the simple fact that you try to even put it in the same class as a game like FO3 is absurd.

Yes, because critics, people just like you and me, are always a good meter to rate games. You can take them into account, but just because some dude that writes for a magazine says a game is good or bad doesn't mean that's the end all, be all. For an example, the most recent Transformers game got terrible reviews, but most of the people I talk to that have played it enjoyed it as far as a one-two playthrough game. Homefront got destroyed by most people, but there are still a lot of people that loved the campaign, even though it was so short.

The point isn't that GTA IV was good or not (which it wasn't even as good as the last 3, by the way), it's that your option in the poll was dumb. You left no option for people that loved the game, but like another one better. You went from "Best ever" to "It was okay". If you loved GTA IV, good for you. I'm glad you didn't feel like you wasted 65 bucks like I did, but that doesn't mean that anyone else likes it, and the simple fact that you try to even put it in the same class as a game like FO3 is absurd.

Often it's best to trust the reviews especially when a game is almost unanimously critically acclaimed all across the board. Remember theres often a reason why critics for different forms of entertainment are still around, it's because they know what the hell they're talking about. If after all the reviews for a film are sent in such as The Godfather and it has a 100% on rotten tomatoes or a game like GTA IV that also has an average of 98% after all the reviews, you think there might be a chance that that movie or game is really good or worth your time? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the critics are useless fat elitists and the Hangover Part II should win best picture at the oscars this year.

Also I know that I kind of botched the poll alittle but I thought people would be smart enough to figure out that MGS & GTA IV were just some examples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...