Bitching Thread: BFG Edition

Jet1337

Every game's gotta have one, this one's no exception.

1. Controller mapping AWOL

What the fuck is this shit?!? In the Xbox version, there were more controller configurations, plus you could map your weapons to the d-pad. So I can only run by holding down the left thumbstick ( no toggle option either )? What if I need to get the fuck outta there? This is really inconvenient when trying to melee zombies to save ammo, because you're almost guaranteed to be hit, killing the purpose of using melee in the first place. It's also harder to duck under Imp fireballs because of this.

This is really disappointing. I would've expected Id to include mapping your own controls. Well I guess this is Id's way of saying "fuck you" to the console gamers and why I'm getting a gaming pc next year.

2. No co-op in Doom 3

The Xbox version had it, so why throw it away? This makes the pc version superior in this aspect. I was kind of looking forward to playing co-op with other people, especially since I've never really played the pc version. Thanks for another middle finger to the console gamers Id.

3. Only 600 GS

Really? You lazy fuckers couldn't use that muscle inside your fucking skulls to come up with other achievements for the 360 version? No "A" in effort for you bitches.

4. Can't play Doom 1 or Doom 2 if installed to the HDD

Don't really give a damn since I have it on pc.

5. No Final Doom or Doom 64 as extras or unlockables

The first two games are everywhere, so why would they put them in this edition for the 50th time? Are they saving Final Doom or Doom 64 for the collector's edition of Doom 4 or something?

All that shit aside, it's a badass game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I don't like the fact that there isn't a melee button at all; you have to switch to your fists in order to melee. What is that? Hasn't id played any games after 2005? You can't melee with your shotgun?!?

2) Yeah, and I agree on the controller mapping. The Options menu is *extremely* limited. I know you have to press Y to activate things in the game, but every FPS made after 2005 has Y to swap weapons. I can't tell you how many times I've pressed Y to swap. Get with the times, id. Even Halo has the option to either toggle or hold the RS to crouch. Having crouch as the RS is very awkward. And no aiming down the sights?! They could have at least updated that! There's an option to turn on or off auto-aim, but I don't think it even exists in this game! Set the flashlight to the D-pad or something and have LT as aim. Seriously.

3) Unskippable cutscenes, yeah, that's really annoying, especially if you are taking your time but want the under 10 hour achievement. The cutscenes are included in that time. I know in some games, after you complete it, you can skip them the second time around. Has anyone verified you can do that?

4) I don't mind that there's no co-op. If they had thrown in co-op, it would have likely disabled the achievements just like Doom 1 and 2. Plus, playing by myself gives me the atmosphere I want in this game. No offense to anyone, but having someone else with me would ruin that for me, but nowhere does it say I *have* to play co-op. The game really should have given the option for those who want to do it.

5) As for 600gs, it's been explained why it's only 600, and I could care less. I'm not playing this game solely for gamerscore, I'm a fan of Doom and wanted to play it in HD on a TV as I never played the inferior Xbox version. If Doom 1 and 2 had been download codes, the game most likely would have been 1000gs, but since they were included on the disc, the *full disc* can only be 1000gs, and since they are both already 200, that only leaves 600 for Doom 3. It's a tradeoff I can live with. Still, would have been better if they were download codes...

6) I don't mind that Final Doom, Master Levels or Doom 64 aren't included in this, because this is the definitive id Software-developed series of Doom games. Those other three were developed by others, which is why they're not included in here. It would have been nice, but I, as I'm sure many others, still have these on their PC. I'm fine loading them up there if I want to play them.

7) Installing Doom 1 and 2... I don't care. I don't install my games (don't have the space), and I still have the XBLA versions. I'd just as soon load those up if I want to play them.

8) I don't like that sometimes when you go through a door, that's it, you can't go back, at all. This isn't a 360 thing, though, it's a PC thing. I know to go back, you aren't advancing the story, but would it really hurt for me to go back 5 rooms to get more ammo or armor or health? In Half-Life, you could technically go all the way back to the beginning of the game even if you were at the end. Halo, CoD, Battlefield, MoH, they all pretty much let you go back to the beginning of a level if you want to. Is 2004 so long ago that you can't do that? Hell, you could do it in Doom 1 and 2 to an extent. I know this game is structured differently, but sealing off a door in the same level you are in? Not cool.

9) I don't like the fact that there aren't chapter selects in case you miss a collectible. Same as Rage; if you miss one, you have to replay the entire game. Stupid, just stupid.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Wait, there's no level select? The Xbox version had it.

Another thing I ran into that kinda pissed me off. The fucking crane game in Alpha Labs Sector 3! Since this is the PC port and not the Xbox version, the controls aren't automatic. So you have to manually move the crane up and down, and manually put the barrels in the chute by yourself. Not only that, but you can't see the crane and the controls at the same time. I almost rage-quit every time the barrel missed the chute, but I got the hang of it.

Another thing I noticed is that the shotgun got nerfed to fucking hell. In the Xbox version in Recruit and Marine, it only took one shell to kill an imp. I don't know if it is any different in the original pc version, but this sucks the hairiest of balls.

Wait, there's no level select? The Xbox version had it.

Another thing I ran into that kinda pissed me off. The fucking crane game in Alpha Labs Sector 3! Since this is the PC port and not the Xbox version, the controls aren't automatic. So you have to manually move the crane up and down, and manually put the barrels in the chute by yourself. Not only that, but you can't see the crane and the controls at the same time. I almost rage-quit every time the barrel missed the chute, but I got the hang of it.

Another thing I noticed is that the shotgun got nerfed to fucking hell. In the Xbox version in Recruit and Marine, it only took one shell to kill an imp. I don't know if it is any different in the original pc version, but this sucks the hairiest of balls.

Actually, there's a button you can select to automatically dispose of the barrel once you pick it up. The shotgun is annoying though. You CAN kill most things with one shot, but you have to be dead on, point blank and even that doesn't always do it. That's why I checkpoint every time I get breathing room while on Nightmare. That way when you open the next door and a commando jump out to bitch slap you with his tentacle, you can reload if you don't hit the shot perfectly. Really annoying and time consuming, but it works.

Nope, there's only "Continue", "New Game" and "Load Game". Sucks.

Yeah, that crane "game" sucks. Way to slow down an FPS when your whole series is based on moving and shooting anything that moves. I knew there was that "Dispose" button, but getting the crane exactly above the barrel is frustrating, even though there's a screen on the right that says "Lock On" or something. And that moving platform section in 'Communications Transfer'? I know they wanted to include some kind of interaction, but really? I had to look at a walkthrough to find out what to do.

I just read on Penny Arcade that the flashlight no longer casts shadows and your gunfire doesn't light up a room. To be honest, I hadn't noticed (since I never noticed them originally, either). If they were in the original PC version, why the hell would id take them out?

Oh, and I forgot, the monster closets?!? What the hell is that? Some Imp is sitting in a 2x2 wall just waiting for me to walk by, the wall opens and he attacks me? WTF is an Imp or a zombie doing enclosed in a fucking wall? How did they get in there? And enemies attacking me from behind in an area I just cleared? I HATE that!

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Yeah, that crane "game" sucks. Way to slow down an FPS when your whole series is based on moving and shooting anything that moves. I knew there was that "Dispose" button, but getting the crane exactly above the barrel is frustrating, even though there's a screen on the right that says "Lock On" or something. And that moving platform section in 'Communications Transfer'? I know they wanted to include some kind of interaction, but really? I had to look at a walkthrough to find out what to do.

That one where you have to move the crane, climb over, and drop down really annoyed me. I never figured out how to get across there without fall damage, and when you get there with 19 health, that's a bit of a problem! I think I had 9 health when I finally made it across on Nightmare. Pissed me off.

2. No co-op in Doom 3

The Xbox version had it, so why throw it away? This makes the pc version superior in this aspect. I was kind of looking forward to playing co-op with other people, especially since I've never really played the pc version. Thanks for another middle finger to the console gamers Id.

4. Can't play Doom 1 or Doom 2 if installed to the HDD

Don't really give a damn since I have it on pc.

The "BFG Edition" is a remastered version of the PC release. That's why it doesn't have Co-op. The PC release didn't have it either.

Also go to the Dashboard and select "My Games". You'll find "Doom" and "Doom 2" there.

Az

The "BFG Edition" is a remastered version of the PC release. That's why it doesn't have Co-op. The PC release didn't have it either.

Also go to the Dashboard and select "My Games". You'll find "Doom" and "Doom 2" there.

Az

Doom 1 and 2 are originally from the PC releases also, and they have co-op added. Just sayin'... ;) Maybe since those ports were handled by Nerve Software is why it's added?

Hell, they incorporated Steam support (now that you can get them on Steam) and 3D, not to mention a whole slew of graphical and audio updates, but they couldn't add co-op? It's the PC version with added features. Co-op would be an added feature. The argument of "it's the PC version" just doesn't work when they've changed and added a bunch of other stuff NOT in the PC version.

According to the BFG wiki (link), it says that for the disc versions of Doom 1 and 2, they've removed all images relating to the Nazi's and Hitler. It doesn't specify any international versions, just says the BFG versions. Is this true, even for the USA version? I haven't played them off the disc yet. If so, WTF?

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Yeah I read that all the nazi shit was removed from those levels too. I'll check it out later when I get around to it.

That crane part in the caves with all the cacodemons wasn't bad. The collision detection is shit on top of the crane, but you can drop down on those concrete tubes without taking any damage if you're good.

In some aspects I prefer the Xbox version over this one. It just sucks that Id couldn't fix some of the problems I listed. Lazy bastards.

The lack online co-op and the fact that the PC version is 10$ cheaper disgusts me. Biggest rip off since Rage.

How was Rage a rip off. That was one game I didn't mind spending 60$ bucks on launch day. Rage set the benchmark for console graphics this gen as far as I'm concerned. I never played anything on consoles that good looking ever.

Never understood the nitpickers and why people compained about Rage. The only downside for me was the anti climatic ending.

RAGE was an incredibly gorgeous game and fun to play, but was incomplete.

The way the game ended, it was almost like they got bored and just said, "Just wrap it up and ship it."

I know they had greater ambitions than what was realized in the final game and they just simply ran out of time, but, considering they have yet to release the DLC to legitimately wrap it up (and probably never will), the game is much like that XBLA title Hydrophobia: It just ends. It's more than jarring for the player after having spent so much time playing through an awesome/gorgeous experience. When you get the BFG, you immediately anticipate some epic boss... to just have run of the mill enemies thrown at you in a very short final level. Anti-climatic is really too kind a term to use for this game. It was a major letdown for me considering I had been following it for 4+ years prior to it's release.

Rage to me was simply a watered down Doom/Fallout Hybrid. It had very shallow gameplay and the multiplayer races where gimmicky (no online rFPS deathmatch in an id game?). As far as the graphics go, I noticed a substantial amount of texture rendering when getting closer to an object. Most of the game felt like a last ditch effort to get sales of some sort. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Rage to me was simply a watered down Doom/Fallout Hybrid. It had very shallow gameplay and the multiplayer races where gimmicky (no online rFPS deathmatch in an id game?). As far as the graphics go, I noticed a substantial amount of texture rendering when getting closer to an object. Most of the game felt like a last ditch effort to get sales of some sort. But hey, that's just my opinion.

RAGE was just a testing ground for ID's next big thing - Doom 4. Only thing worth giving praise in Rage was the graphics and the overall game's engine performance. To see these kinds of graphics on a console AND on a solid 60fps framerate (Activision eat your heart out) was truly something unique, that you wouldn't expect on a console with an out-dated hardware. This only proves that Carmack is a genius.

Can't wait to play Doom 4, though it will probably take some time. Maybe on the next gen of consoles in the 14's or maybe even 15's. Since iD software is a very small developer group, and they're very meticulous when it comes to game development.

The Lost Mission was the biggest fucking joke I've ever seen....

My first playthrough on Normal was the most boring thing ever...

But then I jumped on Nightmare, and despite a couple stressful parts, the dumbest part is how easy the last boss is. Like seriously, all that stress, and this bullshit, just to get to the end which is the easiest P.O.S. ever....same goes for Doom 3 with the Cyberdemon. In the original dooms he was a tough cookie, but in this game he dies in like 4 hits.

When Doom 4 comes out, I'm sure as hell not getting it for the next xbox. To play a game of that caliber in graphics on the xbox would be a disgrace.

Console gamers who think they know what good graphics are clearly don't and never will.

Then what are you doing in a X360 game thread? Also, not everyone is a graphics whore. I personally do not care about the graphics. It's all about the gameplay, baby.

The Lost Mission was the biggest fucking joke I've ever seen....

My first playthrough on Normal was the most boring thing ever...

But then I jumped on Nightmare, and despite a couple stressful parts, the dumbest part is how easy the last boss is. Like seriously, all that stress, and this bullshit, just to get to the end which is the easiest P.O.S. ever....same goes for Doom 3 with the Cyberdemon. In the original dooms he was a tough cookie, but in this game he dies in like 4 hits.

4 hits from the Soul Cube. But yes, the Cyberdemon is incredibly easy. Just strafe to the side, kill demons with the Rocket Launcher (Imps and Maggots... pft, should have been Arch-Viles and Hell Knights if you ask me). Even the Vagary boss after Alpha Labs was harder.

Edited by KriugerisLT

Then what are you doing in a X360 game thread? Also, not everyone is a graphics whore. I personally do not care about the graphics. It's all about the gameplay, baby.

My thoughts exactly, yes we DO know what good graphics are and we always will. We can understand and appreciate the good graphics capable on our systems but your attitude to put your self so high for being an "elite Pc gamer" is horribly disgusting.

BUT then again...

Graphics don't make a game and that's a retarded outlook to videogames. Gameplay is one of the many parts to make a game as well as the content and how long the overall package can keep someone entertained.

Though I have seen a lot of people praise RAGE's graphics and as much as I loved that game, crysis and crysis 2 on Xbox still have far superior graphics, but again, it doesn't make the game. I enjoyed RAGE to the very end and went through 3 or 4 playthroughs, enjoying it everytime.

Despite owning Doom 1 and 2 on Xbox Live and having all their achievements beforehand, I like this version of Doom 3, it's still enjoyable.

Also since I haven't really posted my gripes with this yet:

Lack of Co-op, sucks balls to be honest.

Other than that, nothing else really bothers me!

Well you see, I don't have my gaming pc yet, which I will be getting next year. And if you don't care about graphics, then why don't you go back to the N64. I heard they have good games and they aren't bugged and don't require 50 patches like most releases do these days.

My thoughts exactly, yes we DO know what good graphics are and we always will. We can understand and appreciate the good graphics capable on our systems but your attitude to put your self so high for being an "elite Pc gamer" is horribly disgusting.

BUT then again...

Graphics don't make a game and that's a retarded outlook to videogames. Gameplay is one of the many parts to make a game as well as the content and how long the overall package can keep someone entertained.

Though I have seen a lot of people praise RAGE's graphics and as much as I loved that game, crysis and crysis 2 on Xbox still have far superior graphics, but again, it doesn't make the game. I enjoyed RAGE to the very end and went through 3 or 4 playthroughs, enjoying it everytime.

Thanks for the insight Reverend Knowitall, but have you ever played Quake 4 on the 360? Do you realize how shitty that game runs on this system?

Graphics and the ability for a system to run a game go hand in hand. Graphics don't make or break a game, but it does immerse you deeper into it, making it a better experience.

So I look down on you for wanting better graphics? No, I look down on you because you're content with accepting years-old technology. You're a casual gamer and I despise casual gamers because they are ruining gaming in general. Look at every CoD that comes out every year for example.

Well you see, I don't have my gaming pc yet, which I will be getting next year. And if you don't care about graphics, then why don't you go back to the N64. I heard they have good games and they aren't bugged and don't require 50 patches like most releases do these days.

Thanks for the insight Reverend Knowitall, but have you ever played Quake 4 on the 360? Do you realize how shitty that game runs on this system?

Graphics and the ability for a system to run a game go hand in hand. Graphics don't make or break a game, but it does immerse you deeper into it, making it a better experience.

So I look down on you for wanting better graphics? No, I look down on you because you're content with accepting years-old technology. You're a casual gamer and I despise casual gamers because they are ruining gaming in general. Look at every CoD that comes out every year for example.

Actually yes, I have played Quake 4 on the Xbox, I own it and I enjoyed it despite the horrible framerate in it, but that's a bad example to use if I'm honest since well, it was a launch title, since ID as well as any other company launching a title on day 1 underestimated what the console is capable of. I'm pretty sure if they remade that game from scratch, it would not only look better, but run and play better.

But you say your getting your Gaming PC next year and with your 60,000G, you think I'm a casual gamer? don't make me laugh xD I'm half way in the 70,000G area what does that say about you?

Also nothing wrong with accepting the technology, I've grown up with consoles and regardless, I could go back to any console willy nilly for the games that were made for them. Example being, yeah you could probably play Sonic 2 on the XBLA, but your missing out if your not playing the megadrive original. But my consoles are there in case I get bored or in case I want to play something that might not be ported to modern consoles yet.

And lets get one last thing clear...I hate COD, I hate any run of the mill military shooter, I hate the garbage of today. Not including Remakes/remasters, the last shooter I probably bought was Bulletstorm or Duke Nukem Forever.