Skyrim FAQ and General Information, Please check here before creating a new thread.

BluWolve

On another note. And this is for everyone. Brelyna Maryon at the Mage College will ask you to be a guinea pig for her spells if you talk to her. Don't! Your screen goes green and is annoying.

It is temporary, and is part of her "mini-sidequest" just fast travel somewhere and it will go away. I went to Whiterun right after that and cleared as soon as I loaded into town.

Question, Is it possible to upgrade the brotherhood armor, whether it be ancient, worn, etc. to legendary? If so what perk do I need to do so, and what is the armor classified as?

You can upgrade it from a normal workbench, I'm pretty sure as long as you have the appropriate perk, you can get anything to legendary that can be upgraded. And it uses leather to upgrade, so I'd assume as long as you have 100 smithing, perk doesnt matter. But since there is no perk that allows you to upgrade it "twice as much" maybe it can only get to epic. I haven't tested it, but maybe someone else has a difinitive answer for you.

Edited by Midnight Malice

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can upgrade it from a normal workbench, I'm pretty sure as long as you have the appropriate perk, you can get anything to legendary that can be upgraded. And it uses leather to upgrade, so I'd assume as long as you have 100 smithing, perk doesnt matter. But since there is no perk that allows you to upgrade it "twice as much" maybe it can only get to epic. I haven't tested it, but maybe someone else has a difinitive answer for you.

Well i'm at 100 smithing, and i have all the perks except for the glass one. It seems like the brotherhood armor is studded which makes it impossible to upgrade past flawless. Can someone confirm for me?

HELP!!! ive been tasked to get a copy of a book ' hanging gardens' im stuck in a cave with a waterfall above me which i think i need to climb. but how? any ideas? im in stoney creek cave

To get up the waterfall in stoney creek cave you need to use the Dragon Shout 'Whirlwind Sprint'. It may take some patience but it is possible. I am not sure if there is a copy of "Hanging Gardens" up there, but I am pretty sure there is a copy in Largashbur somewhere. There are only two copies of this book in the game.

Edited by BluWolve

thanks for the reply bluwolve. i couldnt get it to work so after a bit more digging found out their is a dungeon just north called Kagranzel. and if you enter there and follow it all the way down you end up above the waterfall and the book is their in a chest close by.

A companion will go down before losing all of their health, and enemies will generally leave them alone once that happens. Once they gain enough heallth back they will get up and enemies will attack them again. You may have noticed some enemies you fight will fall to the ground and beg for mercy sometimes, but if you leave them they will soon get back up.

Unfortunately, if they get hit when they're down, they'll die. I've lost 2 companions already. Are there any companions that can't die or at least don't fall over dead with a paper cut?

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to this, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Do I need to play any of the prior Elder Scrolls games to "get" Skyrim? Will the game stand well enough on its own that I don't need to rely on prior games for background? I've heard great things about Skyrim, but I'd rather not have to go back and play all the other games, as I've heard they're a bit time consuming.

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to this, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Do I need to play any of the prior Elder Scrolls games to "get" Skyrim? Will the game stand well enough on its own that I don't need to rely on prior games for background? I've heard great things about Skyrim, but I'd rather not have to go back and play all the other games, as I've heard they're a bit time consuming.

You don't have to play any previous games to "get" Skyrim, it is a story that stands out all by itself. There are things that people will recognise from previous games, but all in all it is not a must to go back and play them all. If you really did want to get sucked into the lore of the elder scrolls I would suggest playing the previous games first, but as you said, they can be time consuming.

My Civil War quest line has glitched up, either way I go.

My first time I joined in Imperal Army & made it to the quest "Battle for Whiterun." When I attempt to talk to the girl for the quest, my options are why she fights for the Imperals, and what will end the war. I waited, fast traveled, done other quest - still stuck at this chick in Whiterun.

I reloaded an earlier save & joined the Stormcloaks. I made it all the way to "The Battle for Hraggstad/Snowhawk (can't remember which one, but I did unlock the 2nd civil war cheevo while playing as a Stormcloak) and still the same thing, same options when I talk to the guy for the quest.

My question is will this be fixed during the 12/1 update? Or is my game just fucked, and I need to start a new one?

How long does it take for a dead body to disappear from the place they died? Alvor tried to be a hero and take on an Elder Dragon alongside me. He died, and I'd like his body to be gone. It's in the middle of town and he died in a weird position too, haha ...it's sad though, seeing his family pass by and comment on it. It's been about a month already in Skyrim time since he died.

My Civil War quest line has glitched up, either way I go.

My first time I joined in Imperal Army & made it to the quest "Battle for Whiterun." When I attempt to talk to the girl for the quest, my options are why she fights for the Imperals, and what will end the war. I waited, fast traveled, done other quest - still stuck at this chick in Whiterun.

I reloaded an earlier save & joined the Stormcloaks. I made it all the way to "The Battle for Hraggstad/Snowhawk (can't remember which one, but I did unlock the 2nd civil war cheevo while playing as a Stormcloak) and still the same thing, same options when I talk to the guy for the quest.

My question is will this be fixed during the 12/1 update? Or is my game just fucked, and I need to start a new one?

I haven't actually done the civil war questline yet so I probably won't be much help. I am pretty sure no quest glitches were fixed with the new paatch, but before starting a new game I would try everything else possible first. Maybe go and do a different quest, come back and see if you can progress? Other things like that I guess. You said you already tried waiting and Fast travelling so those options are gone. Sorry like I said I haven't done this questline yet and I don't really want to go looking it up in the guide or elsewhere because I don't want to stumble into spoilers.

How long does it take for a dead body to disappear from the place they died? Alvor tried to be a hero and take on an Elder Dragon alongside me. He died, and I'd like his body to be gone. It's in the middle of town and he died in a weird position too, haha ...it's sad though, seeing his family pass by and comment on it. It's been about a month already in Skyrim time since he died.

As far as I know, dead bodies won't disappear. I have had a couple of bodies disappear in the wild, but have others that have been there the whole time I have been playing. Not sure if the ones that did disappear actually disappeared or just were moved when I reloaded the area (slight glitch most noticeable with dragon bones).

If you really want to get rid of the body, try moving it by holding :abut: to grab it then move it where you want. In an alleyway, down a well or the best bet would be in a flowing river (if there is one nearby) as most likely the river will carry the body away. It can be a bit tricky to move the bodies this way but it is possible.

Edited by BluWolve

I haven't actually done the civil war questline yet so I probably won't be much help. I am pretty sure no quest glitches were fixed with the new paatch, but before starting a new game I would try everything else possible first. Maybe go and do a different quest, come back and see if you can progress? Other things like that I guess. You said you already tried waiting and Fast travelling so those options are gone. Sorry like I said I haven't done this questline yet and I don't really want to go looking it up in the guide or elsewhere because I don't want to stumble into spoilers.

As far as I know, dead bodies won't disappear. I have had a couple of bodies disappear in the wild, but have others that have been there the whole time I have been playing. Not sure if the ones that did disappear actually disappeared or just were moved when I reloaded the area (slight glitch most noticeable with dragon bones).

If you really want to get rid of the body, try moving it by holding :abut: to grab it then move it where you want. In an alleyway, down a well or the best bet would be in a flowing river (if there is one nearby) as most likely the river will carry the body away. It can be a bit tricky to move the bodies this way but it is possible.

Thanks! I had no idea you could move bodies. I moved his corpse in the bushes...and, if someone notices him, then I'll try to put him in the river.

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid something like this was goin to happen with me at some point in this game. At least it happens with the Civil War, which worse case I can load a new game, escape & go straight to the Imperals/Stormcloaks.

Does anyone know if doing the Civil War questline limits quests/tasks because you take the side of either the Imperial or Stormcloaks? IE - if i finished the questline for the Imperial would I be allowed in Windhelm still to finish those quests?

Edited by schism35

Does anyone know if doing the Civil War questline limits quests/tasks because you take the side of either the Imperial or Stormcloaks? IE - if i finished the questline for the Imperial would I be allowed in Windhelm still to finish those quests?

Yes, whichever side your on, a new Jarl will take charge of the city after you finish the quest line, and they now love you cause your the one that made it possible for him/her to be promoted. However, a lot of people have complained of glitches where certain quests couldnt be completed cause the quest giver was one of the people who died in the raid. This isnt actually a real glitch(though i suppose it could be in a few minor cases), those people just havent waited long enough for Radiant to assign a new quest giver for you to return to.

Yes, whichever side your on, a new Jarl will take charge of the city after you finish the quest line, and they now love you cause your the one that made it possible for him/her to be promoted. However, a lot of people have complained of glitches where certain quests couldnt be completed cause the quest giver was one of the people who died in the raid. This isnt actually a real glitch(though i suppose it could be in a few minor cases), those people just havent waited long enough for Radiant to assign a new quest giver for you to return to.

Awesome thanks! That's sort of what I assumed but wasn't 100% sure. I'll definitely save it for last though.

I have a question about Main quest, spoiler, please no spoilers beyond what I am asking :)

[spoiler=dragonpwnr999] When i was talking to Paarthurnax he referred to Krosis a few times, is this because i was wearing my Krosis mask at the time? I just thought it was interesting. Or does Krosis mean something else in the dragon language?

Is there something special you have to do in Markarth to get the house? I've talked to the Jarl who says to talk to his Steward who wont talk to me. Anyone else having this issue?

You might have to complete "the forsworn conspiracy" first, just read the note Eltys gave to you and you should get the quest if not before that. After you complete that you should be able to do the quests for the jarl.

In my quest information screen the option to become a full member of the thieves guild remains unfinished for the "no stone unturned" quest. Thing is i've already fully completed the thieves guild missions, achievements etc. I have found 6 stones of barenziah aswell which were removed from my inventory when i completed "no one escapes cidhna mine" quest. Do i just need to finish collecting the stones to fully complete this?

You might have to complete "the forsworn conspiracy" first, just read the note Eltys gave to you and you should get the quest if not before that. After you complete that you should be able to do the quests for the jarl.

I bought the house in Markarth without doing the Forsworn Conspiracy.

You have to do a quest for the Jarl. I forget what the quest name is, but you have to retrieve a shield for him.

EDIT: The quest is called Dungeon Delving, and is given to you by the Jarl's Steward, Igmund.

Edited by TombRaiser

Conjuration: Conjuration Spells allow you to raise the dead, summon creatures from Oblivion, Draw powerful bound weapons from thin air and trap the souls of your defeated foes. Your Conjuration skill increases when you cast a Conjuration spell and use it effectively, such as sending your summoned creature into battle, doing damage with a bound weapon, or successfully trapping a soul.

Just wanted to let you know so you can update.

The conjuration skill only increases when you first cast a bound weapon spell, if you continue to use the bound weapon it then falls under the weapon category, eg casting a bound sword in combat will raise you conjuration skill, then using the sword on enemies will raise your one-handed skill.

Also soul trap only needs to sucessfully hit the enemy to raise the skill, you don't need to sucessfully trap the soul by killing them.

Illusion: Illusion Magic manipulates the minds of those around you, sending them into a Frenzy or compelling them to Flee in terror. Illusion also offers a number of useful spells for a stealthy character, such as Invisibility and Muffle. Your Illusion skill increases when you cast a useful Illusion spell on a valid target. For example you don't get credit for casting Fear on a character that's immune to the spell, or Invisibility when noone is around to see you.

Friendly NPC's eg towns folk still count, allowing you to raise your skill by constantly casting Muffle or Invisibility while in a town or residence.

I have a question about Main quest, spoiler, please no spoilers beyond what I am asking :)

[spoiler=dragonpwnr999] When i was talking to Paarthurnax he referred to Krosis a few times, is this because i was wearing my Krosis mask at the time? I just thought it was interesting. Or does Krosis mean something else in the dragon language?

According to the Dragon Language listing in the game guide Krosis means Sorrow.