360 slim loud disc drive..

Ramman02

:(If anyone can help me i would appreciate it.I traded my ps3 for the new 360 slim model .I got it from gamestop and am on my 3rd console in just over a month.The disc drive while in party chat opens wide out and extremely loud.No errors or nothing sounds like a jet plane.I have called x box and gamestop corporate.This worries me and i am fed up. Could it be faulty hardware or maybe bad firmware.Also my game is installed into harddrive ..

Then only time I ever hear my disc drive is while installing a game.

FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR BOX NEVER PLAY A GAME FROM DISC. YOU WILL EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR CONSOLE EXPONENTIALLY BY INSTALLING GAMES TO THE HARD DRIVE AND PLAYING FROM THAT. IF YOU HAVE MEMORY ISSUES JUST DELETE THE INSTALL OF GAMES YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED FOR AWHILE OR DON'T PLAN TO PLAY FOR AWHILE.

I have a 120gb harddrive have like 10 arcade games dl'ed, Arkham Asylum and Trivial Pursuit dl'ed of marketplace and typically about 5-6 other games installed off disc at any one time and very rarely drop below 50gb. I guess if you use your box to store a lot of music or videos you may run into memory problems but other then that if you have a 120gb or higher hard drive I recommend installing EVERY game you play.

FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR BOX NEVER PLAY A GAME FROM DISC. YOU WILL EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR CONSOLE EXPONENTIALLY BY INSTALLING GAMES TO THE HARD DRIVE AND PLAYING FROM THAT. IF YOU HAVE MEMORY ISSUES JUST DELETE THE INSTALL OF GAMES YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED FOR AWHILE OR DON'T PLAN TO PLAY FOR AWHILE.

I have a 120gb harddrive have like 10 arcade games dl'ed, Arkham Asylum and Trivial Pursuit dl'ed of marketplace and typically about 5-6 other games installed off disc at any one time and very rarely drop below 50gb. I guess if you use your box to store a lot of music or videos you may run into memory problems but other then that if you have a 120gb or higher hard drive I recommend installing EVERY game you play.

I usually only did this for large games, but I just replaced my 3rd console with a new slim. I'll give you're idea a shot to see if I can keep this one for a while.

Well, mine also sounds like a lawnmower when the disc is spinning, but I found that when I gently touch a finger against the disc drive, it stops and runs near silent. I reported this to Microsoft and they said that it was a slightly loose disc tray, not sitting quite where it should and so it was vibrating against the case.

They said to either replace it at GAME (I'm in the UK) or install my games to HDD. I did this and it runs silently now.

I'd recommend swapping it one more time, it may just have been a faulty batch.

If not, I really dont know what to say, sorry :S

I have the same problem on my slim, if the game runs from the disc tray its really really loud. louder than my old arcade model. it overpowers the tv. so i always install games to my HDD so its nice and quiet.

It was really quiet before from disc tray and then all of a sudden just vecame really loud.

only problem i got with my slim is my tag resets itself to a new tag when i play a new game

That's just ridiculous, having to install your games to the hard drive? I understand the advantages of it, of course, but to have to do that to avoid some really loud spinning noise? This is why I'm going to wait to buy a slim so they can work out the crap like they did with the first generations.

That's just ridiculous, having to install your games to the hard drive? I understand the advantages of it, of course, but to have to do that to avoid some really loud spinning noise? This is why I'm going to wait to buy a slim so they can work out the crap like they did with the first generations.
You have to install every game (or maybe it's most, I don't know) for the PS3. Plus, it's optional.

Personally, I do it for almost all my games. It especially helps for particularly loud games, like Fable II.

i just bought a slim and have had a ton of red lights. supposedly it doesnt mean its broken though, but instead its a failsafe. I got the red light e82 error when i first started it up and then no problems for the next few weeks. I just put it in my enterainment center (with plenty of ventilation) but i get the red dot alot now.

You have to install every game (or maybe it's most, I don't know) for the PS3. Plus, it's optional.

Personally, I do it for almost all my games. It especially helps for particularly loud games, like Fable II.

I didn't know that about the PS3. I have wanted one for awhile too, but that's not a big deal. If I was to install every game I had for the 360, I'd have to get a bigger hard drive because I only have a 60G, which I thought would be plenty. I've had no problems with games, and haven't installed any on my hard drive, so I'm sticking with my original 360 until it dies.

Halo 3, Lips, and some movies make my Slim vibrate so violently that I can feel it through the floor. Even though you're not meant to install Halo, I did, as I couldn't stand the noise. Was much louder than my tv. With the movies, installing obviously isn't an option, so I just have to avoid putting them in my Slim. Annoying!

I'd just like to reiterate my original point: UNLESS YOU HAVE SERIOUS MEMORY PROBLEMS, WHICH YOU SHOULD ONLY HAVE IF YOU HAVE A TON OF MUSIC OR VIDEOS ON YOU HDD, INSTALL EVERYGAME TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR CONSOLE.

It is no coincidence that everyone that has posted in this thread saying they don't install their games also states that they have gone through multiple consoles. I have one of the original elites and have had NO PROBLEMS with it. Not even the dreaded red ring of death. Install your games and save your box.

I'd just like to reiterate my original point: UNLESS YOU HAVE SERIOUS MEMORY PROBLEMS, WHICH YOU SHOULD ONLY HAVE IF YOU HAVE A TON OF MUSIC OR VIDEOS ON YOU HDD, INSTALL EVERYGAME TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR CONSOLE.

It is no coincidence that everyone that has posted in this thread saying they don't install their games also states that they have gone through multiple consoles. I have one of the original elites and have had NO PROBLEMS with it. Not even the dreaded red ring of death. Install your games and save your box.

I am new to xbox. How do you install games?

Do you still need to use the disc once it's installed?

I have a first gen launch 360 and have never installed a single game. Never had red rings, never had another 360, no issues with noise (other than the standard it being louder than a f15 taking off...) or broken discs.

Installing games won't solve all your problems, and not installing them doesn't necessarily shorten the life of the console. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I can't cause I have a 20gig console and only 2 gigs are free.

Here's how

You still need to have the disc in, but it decreases load times quite a bit for some games. It also probably does help to extend the life of your console :)

Edited by Worhammer

In your menus in the section titled "My Xbox" (I think, wherever your profile and the game and stuff are) if you are highlighted on the game itself you can either hit "A" to run the game "X" to eject disc or "Y" to get more options. Hit "Y" and wait a second for everything to pop up. In that Menu you should have the option to Install Game. This will take 5-10 minutes and your box will make a fair amount of noise as it reads the disc and typically take between 3gb and 6gb of hard drive memory per disc.

Once you have installed you do still need to have the disc in the tray to run it. However, you will notice that your xbox is barely making any noise at all while running the game. This is because your box is not constantly trying to read information off the disc saving your disc drives lens, your boxes fan and other components from unnecessary wear and tear.

I have two Xbox 360 Slims and not once have I ever heard the disc drive, let alone any noise coming from the 360. I think what you need to do is try and get in contact with Microsoft's Support office and find out if they can take a look at it.

As for installing the games, it's a good idea but I personally don't do it that often. I realize that it cuts down on the wear and tear but unless it's a game your going to play a lot, I don't really think it's necessary.

Wow, I never really thought about this, and considering I have like over 200gb free.. I should really do this lol.