Corrupt saves. Careful!

UltimateBane32

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So on my new playthrough (after the corrupted save file) I've noticed that my earned 'styles' have not updated.. like hide 5 bodies, garrot people.. I'm on the last level again.. so not sure what to do about that.

Have you tried getting a significant amount more than what the guide says is required? For whatever reason, some of my progress didn't count while I was doing these. I think I needed to hide seven or eight bodies before it counted for me.

So for clarification. If I back up my save onto my USB, do I have to remove the USB from the system? I backed up my save since I knew this was an issue. Of course, once I booted the game back up I had the corrupt save issue. However, when I loaded from the USB (which I had left connected to my Xbox) the save was still corrupted.

I figure I should have removed the USB to avoid this happening? Just want to be sure. It sucks, because I'm really enjoying the game but this kind of nonsense is inexcusable...

So for clarification. If I back up my save onto my USB, do I have to remove the USB from the system? I backed up my save since I knew this was an issue. Of course, once I booted the game back up I had the corrupt save issue. However, when I loaded from the USB (which I had left connected to my Xbox) the save was still corrupted.

I figure I should have removed the USB to avoid this happening? Just want to be sure. It sucks, because I'm really enjoying the game but this kind of nonsense is inexcusable...

Unless I'm missing something, it shouldn't matter if it's plugged in or not. My only guess is that you backed up the corrupt version without realizing it. What exactly are you doing to back it up?

Unless I'm missing something, it shouldn't matter if it's plugged in or not. My only guess is that you backed up the corrupt version without realizing it. What exactly are you doing to back it up?

I am exiting to Dashboard, going to Settings/Storage and copying my save file to USB drive.

I feel like I'm going about this the wrong way...

I am exiting to Dashboard, going to Settings/Storage and copying my save file to USB drive.

I feel like I'm going about this the wrong way...

I did the same thing, but I backed it up online. It was a pain in the ass to back out after every level, but it was unfortunately necessary because I had lost my progress before. My only guess is to try to back it up online instead of your USB drive and see if it works like that. Not sure why it would be any different though.

I did the same thing, but I backed it up online. It was a pain in the ass to back out after every level, but it was unfortunately necessary because I had lost my progress before. My only guess is to try to back it up online instead of your USB drive and see if it works like that. Not sure why it would be any different though.

Yeah, I have no clue what happened. Sucks. I will try to do the Cloud Save and see how that goes.

So you just exited to menu, then to dashboard and just copied your save from Hard Drive to Cloud Save?

I redownloaded the game today, thinking maybe that will help since I already lost my data. Was only on mission 4...

I'm at a loss. Did the first mission. Went back to menu, dashboarded out, and then backed up my save to the Cloud and a USB.

Corrupted. Copied my Cloud save over. Corrupted. Copied my USB save over. Corrupted. How the hell is this possible? I'm thinking my problems are because it's just the digital version. Going to borrow my brothers physical copy this weekend. This is ridiculous...

I'm at a loss. Did the first mission. Went back to menu, dashboarded out, and then backed up my save to the Cloud and a USB.

Corrupted. Copied my Cloud save over. Corrupted. Copied my USB save over. Corrupted. How the hell is this possible? I'm thinking my problems are because it's just the digital version. Going to borrow my brothers physical copy this weekend. This is ridiculous...

If I'm following you correctly, you played the first mission and then copied your save to your USB and to the Cloud. After you came back from the dashboard, you loaded your original save from the HDD and found that it was corrupted even though the game never froze. Then you copied your save from your USB and Cloud to replace your original save, and found that both were corrupt.

Are you 100% sure that you're using the correct save after one of the saves has been corrupted?

I got kinda paranoid after it happened to me, so I would copy my save to a USB and then remove the USB entirely from the console.

If the next time I loaded up the game the save was corrupted, I would delete the corrupted save and only then insert the USB and copy the intact save.

It only happened once more, but this method got me running again without having to start over.

Give it a shot.

If I'm following you correctly, you played the first mission and then copied your save to your USB and to the Cloud. After you came back from the dashboard, you loaded your original save from the HDD and found that it was corrupted even though the game never froze. Then you copied your save from your USB and Cloud to replace your original save, and found that both were corrupt.

Are you 100% sure that you're using the correct save after one of the saves has been corrupted?

Correct.

When I copy from USB/Cloud, I replace the original save in my HD making it the only save present. When I load up the game it asks for storage location, when I tell it HD it still comes up as save file corrupt same as always.

I got kinda paranoid after it happened to me, so I would copy my save to a USB and then remove the USB entirely from the console.

If the next time I loaded up the game the save was corrupted, I would delete the corrupted save and only then insert the USB and copy the intact save.

It only happened once more, but this method got me running again without having to start over.

Give it a shot.

I have never deleted the save and copied the fresh one from the USB/Cloud over. I will definitely give that a shot. I honestly feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong, simply because it happens EVERY time I exit the game. I lose my save in every location. But then again, it's backing up a save, I feel like there isn't much to screw up.

I will give this a shot tonight. Thanks for the tip! Glad you've had better luck with it.

EDIT: This is what worked for me. Deleted my save game on Hard Drive, USB and Cloud. Disconnected from Xbox Live. Cleared my cache from Hard drive and USB. Then played the game, dashboarded out and backed up the save to my USB. This has worked with the first two levels, so hopefully it holds out. Really frustrating...also, I switched to my brother physical copy of the game.

Edited by aspeedomodel

Just happened to me after finishing the prologue for the first time. Very glad that I saw this thread before getting further into the game and having the issue happen!

Gonna back up everything after each mission.

Just had the game freeze during the final cut scene of the game and corrupt my save. If i hadn't backed up my save, I would probably have thrown my controller through my TV :D

Correct.

When I copy from USB/Cloud, I replace the original save in my HD making it the only save present. When I load up the game it asks for storage location, when I tell it HD it still comes up as save file corrupt same as always.

I have never deleted the save and copied the fresh one from the USB/Cloud over. I will definitely give that a shot. I honestly feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong, simply because it happens EVERY time I exit the game. I lose my save in every location. But then again, it's backing up a save, I feel like there isn't much to screw up.

I will give this a shot tonight. Thanks for the tip! Glad you've had better luck with it.

EDIT: This is what worked for me. Deleted my save game on Hard Drive, USB and Cloud. Disconnected from Xbox Live. Cleared my cache from Hard drive and USB. Then played the game, dashboarded out and backed up the save to my USB. This has worked with the first two levels, so hopefully it holds out. Really frustrating...also, I switched to my brother physical copy of the game.

Sounds like your issue ran a little deeper than most.

What I did was this: every time I beat a mission or two (only played 1-2 missions per night), I'd exit to the main menu (instead of hitting Continue after the mission). From the Main Menu I'd dashboard. Then I'd go into System -> Storage. Then copy my save file from my hard drive to the Cloud, replacing the old one.

I did this throughout my Hard playthrough, and there were two times where the game froze and my save file got corrupted. Went back to the dashboard, copied my save file from the Cloud to my hard drive and overwrote the old (corrupted) one. Then I was able to pick up where I left off.

Massive pain, and completely unacceptable that something like this needs to be done, but it worked for me, and hopefully it works for anyone else.

Oh man... I managed to mess up even though I actually was backing up savegames :p Played through 6 hard missions from Hunter and Hunted to Dexter Industries, and just as I was about to quit and go back up the savegame, the game crashed on me (I hit continue even though I was about to quit, yeah bad move). So definitely a good tip to quit via Main Menu, dashboard, and back up after any long mission.

It's only going to take a fraction of the time to redo the missions now while I still remember the routes by heart... but it's really annoying, nonetheless. IO Interactive just made my s**tlist, for sure. This turd is barely worth playing for free, no way will I actually give them any money in the future.

Even though I'm not a fan of Ubisoft, at least they fixed the same kind of issues they had with Assassin's Creed - they started using 2 save files, which are used in a round-robin cycle. So if the game sees that a save file is corrupt, it'll just reload the earlier save. That way you only lose the minimal amount of progress. TAKE NOTES, IO INTERACTIVE.

this is pretty awesome. This just happened to me after i had half the collectibles and was half way through the game on hard difficulty. it actually froze while auto saving during the mission, had to hard restart the system. I think Im done with this crap game.

this is pretty awesome. This just happened to me after i had half the collectibles and was half way through the game on hard difficulty. it actually froze while auto saving during the mission, had to hard restart the system. I think Im done with this crap game.

Dont give it up man !

Just make a save copy in other device. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished the game last week. Got it from the Games with Gold program. Didn't have any problems. Perhaps the digital version patched whatever was causing the save errors. Seems like it only really has the best chance of going corrupt around Mission 13. Regardless, if you feel a save is in danger of being lost, always back up saves to a USB device.

• 2 years later...