F-35

PrinceofDeath86

I do know how to fly, it's not like I crash on take off or lose control in the air. The problem is that without unlocks, I'm left trying to machine gun enemy pilots which doesn't work that well. Or maybe it would work, if every enemy pilot didn't have heat seekers unlocked. Sure, I can break target locks sometimes, but most of the time I get nuked.

Same here. Jets would be so much better if it were even remotely possible to put up some kind of defense from the start. it seem more often then not as soon as I am in the air I get locked and shot down.

Fighting on the ground when the enemy has more unlocks is at least doable. You can flank and maneuver around with a squad to even the odds but when you are in a jet it s pretty much 1v1 and if they have anything unlocked you stand almost zero chance.

In all the time me and my friends have been flying jets, probably 3 hours between us, the only points have been by total accident. I was on Wake Island and an enemy happened to run in front of the hanger as I was leaving. Great roadkill but unfortunately not something to rely in for building points.

40+ minutes in Jets = 0 kills. Impossible.

Not impossible. Just not everyone is very adept with the jets. I've been playing this game since day one and am still just awful. Only recently started becoming confident as a chopper pilot after finally dipping into Fire from the Sky in Co-Op. Good mission for practice. Sadly no missions include jets to practice on. Would have been nice.

I have 52 minutes in jets and only one kill. Got that kill in the F-35 for Third Tour when strafing a guy running across the beach, then promptly and unintentionally crashed into a building when trying to pull out of the dive. :( Haven't touched a jet since.

Edited by Opiate42

I had to resort to a kind of dick move to unlock the flares and heat seekers for the jet. I flew to the enemy base and landed near the end of the runway. As soon as I saw someone running towards the jets I hit the gas and the guns and rammed them to death. I usually blew up but at least it let me unlock what I need to actually stand a chance flying in the air.

Honestly though, the conquest jets are useless against ground troops. I'm assuming the vast vast majority of those vehicle destroys are other jets, which in turn do nothing against ground troops either. It takes something like 3 strafing runs to disable a tank with the conquest ones. The rush ones are more the vehicle destroying ones, they can disable a tank in one run. You'd be far more useful on the ground. It's a shame that the jets are so damn fun though :p.

Rocket pods are really affective against tanks, the machine gun is really only for other jets and helicopters

• 2 weeks later...

Got my kill last night on Wake & I think it was my 2nd or 3rd attempt flying these things. Definitely helped to read a bit here & other places and study the control layout beforehand.

There must have been some other jet newbs on the other side, as I was actually semi-competent in a dogfight-- was able to maneuver behind a guy but saw him get taken out by a missile right as I had my shot lined up. His buddy decided to try & fly right at me and a lucky blast from my cannon was enough to take him down as he passed. Had some valuable time after that to fly around & gain more familiarity with the controls. Finally got shot down when I flew too low near mobile AA.

Would have been nice to unlock flares, but the kill helped eliminate that sense of hopelessness. Now if the stars would just line up and I can get another kill and string that together with the other two Complete Warrior requirements, I'll be over the hump.

How the fuck do you even fly this damn thing???? I cant even get it off the fucking carrier, its fucking bullshit!!!!!
Which one are you taking? If it's the one that's right at the edge, facing the main map, then use LT to hover up and once you're at a decent altitude hit RT to begin accelerating.

The F-35 is a VTOL aircraft. That stands for vertical take-off and landing aircraft.

As for getting kills with the thing, that's another story. It's a crap jet in comparison to the counter-parts on the map. Far too sluggish and lazy for my liking.

I found that as soon as I unlocked flares Dog fights became alot better.

No offense but nobody worth a damn will ever use missiles. Likely what locks onto is stingers, which if you know how to evade properly you don't even need them. I use extinguishers, on service star 9 or about to be, and heatseekers when I feel like messing around with kids in jets. That or just the attempted lock on will make them break and so much easier to kill.

Also I think I have like 45 F-35 kills?

Edit: 890 Jet kills total, 60 with the F-35 and 90 minutes in it. 1hr and 32 minutes to be exact. I'd say that's a pretty good KPM. :D

Edited by 13ip0lar

• 2 weeks later...

I got my kill with this one in the most embarrasing way possible. I was laughing my ass off all the way through. I was flying and then it started going really slow and didn't obey my controls at all. So I landed in a beach. I "drove" it forward to an enemy base that was just a few meters away and there I saw a dude and was like damn now I get this kill, and I did :D I was just laughing because there were others around there as well, running away like crazy. Even tho my guns were aiming in a direction where it's not possible to shoot you :D Guess you don't think of such things when a jet surprices you from around the corner. But now I got the kill yay!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys Im not a great jet lover but been reading your posts and started flying now I can take off WITHOUT crashing :-) (thanks) the problem is trying to get kills other jets have heat seekers etc and kill me out right, how do I land? to try and get a cheap kill for my THIRD TOUR achievement.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I can't fly for shit in this game. I wish there was a flight simulator mode where you can practice flying so you can learn what the hell you're doing.

You could just join an empty server and figure it out... BF3 is no flight sim and jets are the easiest aircraft in the game to learn. You'll figure it out.

Neither can I, if you have End Game VIZIONZ, Air Superiority lets you get a handle on them pretty good too. Not the F35 specifically, not sure which jets are used in that mode, Flanker and Hornet?

But I've gone from a scant 5 to 36 kills on the Maverick assignment pretty quick and am a lot more confident in them now. No more crashing into the ground after 30 seconds :p

Neither can I, if you have End Game VIZIONZ, Air Superiority lets you get a handle on them pretty good too. Not the F35 specifically, not sure which jets are used in that mode, Flanker and Hornet?

But I've gone from a scant 5 to 36 kills on the Maverick assignment pretty quick and am a lot more confident in them now. No more crashing into the ground after 30 seconds :p

jet pilot scrub

finally got my F35 kill. on gulf of oman, conquest. right at the end of the match, i was getting shot down and with about 40% health i managed to steer into a sukhoi pilot, killing us both and getting a F35 kill.

I've done that numerous times, but all I get is "Bad Luck".