Hard boiled difficulty guide

Right, I've just finished Stranglehold on Hard Boiled mode and to say it is one of the hardest achievements I've come across is an understatement. This

is mainly due to the complete lack of help for Stranglehold on this difficulty. So to help future gamers trying to get this I thought I would pass on my tips

that helped me.

If you guys have any of your own, post them on here and I'll add them to the main list. Also please be aware, this isn't a 100% accurate guide. I've played

through it once on hard boiled and these are my recollections of the game, the harder bits stick out in my mind but the easier bits don't. If anything I've

mentioned doesn't seem to work or your stuck in a particular part of the game, post in the thread or PM me and I'll replay that section and give advice.

Again be aware this is a work in progress.

General Gameplay Tips

• Preparation is everything - When you start the game go to the options and switch the auto aim onto high and switch on the target lock switch too. You could class this as cheating I suppose but I see it as balancing. Plus with the auto aim you'll lock onto the body of the enemy, move the aim
    directly up while shooting to get head shots pretty much all the time

• Use your cover - Cover is so much more important in this difficulty. Not only does it protect you but it also boosts up your style points allowing
    more Tequila bombs. Also don't forget to duck, it makes you a smaller target and although you move slower when there's lots of low cover you can
    cross areas to safety without getting hit once.

• Listen out for the drums - Whenever you empty an area of bad guys you'll hear beats of a drum. Keep an ear out for this sound to know its safe
    to move forward out of your cover without worry of being shot at.

• Tequila Time is your friend - Use it whenever you get the chance. When your overwhelmed TT will allow you to quickly take out enemies
    enmasse before they do too much damage.

• Use your Tequila bombs - I know this sounds obvious but keep an eye on your gauge. Even the simple health boost at the minimal level can
    keep you alive just long enough to reach a first aid kit or take out that last enemy.

• Save your Tequila Bombs - In other words use them when you need them only. If you've got a room covered and are slowly taking out the bad
    guys with ease. Don't show off and use your bombs, you may not get a chance to restock them before the bosses.

• Precision Aim and Barrage those bosses - This will depend on the boss more than anything else. Precision aim is good for bosses you cant get
    near and don't move too much e.g. Wong, while barrage is great for bosses that move about or you can get right up close and personal with, Dapong
    is a great example.

• Standoffs - These are a lot harder than normal but relatively simple compared to the rest of the game. If you die you just begin at the start of the
    standoff again. So learn where your enemies are going to be and just keep your eye on the bullets coming towards you to avoid them. If you miss
    anyone don't worry too much, just quickly switch on Tequila Time and take them out and you should be ok

• Most importantly, have patience - You are going to have to take it slowly and let the bad guys come to you as if you go charging in they will
    make mincemeat of you. Be patient hold back and let them come to you.

Level Specific Tips

Market Place

This level is very simple really. Just take your time and move through slowly. There are a lot of environmental hazards to help so use them every time as

it will speed up your progress and boost your bombs. The only tough bit will be the marketplace section, but try and stay in cover and take out the bad

guys slowly but surely.

Kwong Fang

After defeating all his gang Kwong will appear, now hopefully by now you've got quite a full tequila bar. So avoid him till he goes downstairs then hide

either upstairs or behind the stirs (Stairs cannot be destroyed but the blast may still get you). Now unleash some precision aim on him to knock that

health down. Now continue this mixing with some tequila time shots to weaken him and taking out his bodyguards to build your tequila bar. He

shouldn't be too hard to beat overall,

Tai O

Again take it easy with this level. On the sections where there are Drug tables the enemies do not respawn so take it easy and slowly and use that cover

to work your way through the level, concentrating on enemies rather than the tables. Go back for any you miss and beware of standing too close you

really don't want to blow yourself up with the tables.

The hardest part of this level is sinking the three ships. From the start turn around and run towards the tower with the zip line to the ship. Do this ship first

as getting up that tower without being killed is tough and even if you kill the enemies on the ship they will just respawn. Once you've taken out that ship,

heal up and take the other two out. It may be worth running round the path at the back of the island for some cranes and a handy Heavy Machine Gun.

Then just get in there and blast those ships to pieces.

After this its just the bomb section. Again work through it slowly and you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

Mega Restaurant

Ok, this is where it starts to get really tough. There are lots of different strategies for this section and if I come across any others which work for people I

will add them.

Section 1

I personally placed the two cases right in the entrance to the area at the bottom of the small steps at either side. I then crouched and hid between these

two cases. If you time it right you should be able to survive down here for most of the waves. Grab health only when your down to a quarter and

hopefully by the time you need to heal up again the other case should have re-opened. When the trench coat guys come in, if you've got a spin attack

use it. These guys are tough and you will struggle. If you haven't got a spin attack barrage will work as well. After that run up the stairs and get as many

cranes as you can to set off an other spin attack and take them out. When your left with just the guys in the lift, just use cover and shoot them out. Again

if this doesn't work let me know and I'll play through it again and fine tune this.

Section 2

This time you want to hide up by the bar at the far end. Place the cases at either end of the bar and crouch. Pop up to shoot. They should just come in

waves from directly ahead most of the time with occasional enemies from the side.

Section 3

After the stand off, run to the top left corner where the bar is next to the elevator. I found if I stayed up here the enemies tended to leave the band

members alone and there is plenty of cover to hide behind. This is tough though as there is no refills this time so you may have to dash forward and

pick up some guns. Try to avoid shotguns unless they get too close as the ranged weapons will allow you to pick the enemies from afar before they get

too close.

Lok

And now for the most annoying boss in the game. From the start run left and hide behind the stairs. If you are lucky and you have a barrage already

unload that in him before you move to the side. If you position yourself carefully you should be safe from Lok's gun. First take out the two statues. If you

shoot the Right one first, nine times out of ten it will get stuck and do no damage but sometimes it does and it'll hep. Then take out the left statue. This

should land on him, and if your lucky wound him down to phase 2. If not shoot him with the assault rifle till it does. You will probably need to run to the

other set of stairs before you take him down this far. Try to get him to reload before you do by just edging forward enough for him to run out of bullets. If

he can't hit you sometimes he will just fire for ages without reloading.

Once hes hit phase 2 its time to run. Run round the room avoiding his shots picking up cranes and first aid kits a you do. Once you can precision aim

him do so. Then its up stairs you go. Up here you'll find your health and another crane. Run round here taking pot shots at Lok when you can but

beware as he'll take the floor out below you. Eventually with luck and patience you'll take him down but it won't be easy.

Zakarov Penthouse

Usual rules apply. Take your time, use cover and environment attacks and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Vlad

As soon as this battle starts run up the stairs to the left and follow the path round to find a crane and a heavy machine gun. Grab both then run to the

middle of the path and grab the crane hanging by the chandelier. As you land in front of the window let loose a barrage with the heavy machine gun

on Vlad then grab the two cranes and get cover. Grab health when you need it and head up the stairs. If you crouch near the top of the stairs you'll find

a spot where the helicopter and Vlad can't hurt you. When you get a chance unload another barrage into him then take potshots at Vlad when hes in

front of the stairs. If you run out of ammo try and grab some more. There are golden guns in there if you can get them superb but any gun will do. Keep

hiding on those stairs until you finally whittle away his health.

Chicago History Museum

Another level where its just working your way through slowly. However this level has a huge advantage. On many of the rooms you can activate the

enemies in a room by approaching the doors then back up and hide round the corner. This will draw the enemies through the narrow entrance

allowing you to lean out and pick them off nice and simply. When heading up the stairs make sure to look up with Tequila Time ready as your

guaranteed a bad guy to come down those stairs with a shotgun for your face.

Damon

From the start take out all the guards hurtling towards you. It's all about precision aim for this boss, so once you've got it ready use it. Once you've taken

care of the guards run around the outside diving about taking out the guards coming out the door. You've got to be diving to rack up those style points.

But if your really struggling there's a crane in the center walkway and under one of the horses in the pit. Eventually a scaffold falls down and you can get

up stairs. Be aware no more enemies will spawn downstairs so if it gets hectic run back down there again. There's one more crane up here to collect

but again its diving and taking out guards taking a precision aim when you can. if you want to take a few normal shots go ahead but do it in Tequila

Time so you can spot the animation beginning for his super shot and dive out the way.

Jerry

After Damon is dead carry on as before using cover to move forward slowly. When you get to Jerry it should be a walk over. Again use precision aim

and cover to pop out and whittle his health down. There is so much cover in this area you should have no problem taking him down at all. If you need

cranes shoot down the totem poles to reach them.

Slums of Kowloon

Hooray no boss battle!! But its not the easiest of levels. Take it slowly (I know I've said it a 1000 times but I can't state how important it is to do so) and

beware of snipers. Use the environment a lot and if it gets too much run back. Few areas are really shut off to you, so sometimes its better to retreat and

restock. Best of all some bad guys will follow you allowing them to be wiped out away from the rest of their friends.

Wong's Estate

It's the last level and though it will take awhile once you get to the helicopter its easy for a while after that. If you get a spin attack built up, use it as there

are a lot of enemies to take out and this makes life a lot easier. In the furthest right building there is a pair of respawning golden pistols. These are your

friends, use them to help take out hose bad guys and go back and replenish when you run out. It may be a trek but there is no better gun to get through

this section. Use the huts as cover to move forward. Especially the hut at the bottom of the steps leading to the palace. Cover by the door and just lean

out and pick those bad guys off as they come running towards you. Get cranes when you can and pick up health packs as you need them. They may

respawn but I wasn't too sure. Eventually you'll notice the palace door opening and then you know its almost over. Take out those last few waves and

you can have a breather. It's a little easier for awhile.

Helicopter

Firstly as soon as you get control run to the right of the palace and behind a pillar by the pond is a heavy machine gun. Pick this up (if you have one

already still pick this up, more ammo never hurt anyone). Then run back and down to the left and skirt round the left side of the hut and wait. When the

copter flies over to swop ends. Run towards the hut on the left to pick up the rocket launcher (keeping the HMG as well). Then run back outside and

crouch behind the rock. Here you are safe from everything the copter has. When it flies back over run back round the rock and face the top left point of

the palace. The copter will always fly into view right here. Hit TT and fire both rockets at it before turning around and running down the stairs and

heading left behind the wall. Once the copter flies over again run back up, get the rocket launcher and repeat till dead.

After this your inside the place. Pick up some golden guns and any cranes to fill up your bar. Then head froward. When you go through the first set of

doors move up slowly till the guards run out. Hit TT take them out and once those drums bang head up replenishing your Golden Guns on the left before

taking a deep breath and approaching the end bosses.

Wong and Dapong

*There is an easier way to do this as mentioned by Blazinvicar in post#4. If you want to get the achievement easily follow that method, though finishing it properly will give you a better feel of accomplishment!*

This is drawn out!! In the first part your main priority is wiping out his guards. Do not pick up any cranes!! Hide in one of the side corridors, to the left and

right of where Wong stands. Crouch in the corner, without the med kit in it, with your Golden guns and wipe those bad guys out. You should be able to

position yourself to see the full view of enemies coming towards you . If you run low on health run to the other corner and crouch there. When the bad

guys stop, run below Wong and look up. If you stand to one side and aim for the grey slab above Wong any grenade will hit him and do some damage (It

should also damage Dapong once but he'll run off after that). There are loads of grenades about so ammo won't be a problem. After awhile he'll disappear

backwards and more bad guys will turn up. Don't forget all ammo and medkits respawn over time, so keep those golden guns loaded and you'll get

there.

Once Dapong jumps down turn left run up the left side of stairs, turn left and grab the crane at the back of the room. Then head for the right chandelier

and swing across. Once over run straight ahead and collect the other crane, then run towards the right chandelier and swing across. This is the best

time to collect the cranes as Wong will snipe you too easily if you try and get them when he returns. Now head left and head across the bridge bearing

left to pick up the medkit shooting any bad guys you come across. Run down the first stairs you see and head behind the dragon statue. Pick up or

replenish your golden pistols before hitting TT and spinning round to pick off the bad guys. If Dapong in view hit barrage with either the HMG or the golden

pistol. A full barrage with either will wipe him out and set you up for the last section.

Repeat the method for the first part of this battle. Bu leave the guy who will hide behind pillars alive. When you think he's alone wait a few more seconds

as sometime a second wave will appear. Once he's on his won its time to finish off Wong. Run up the stairs closest to Won bu on the opposite side to

the remaining bad guy. If you need to cross to the other side of the room. Run under Wong picking up medkits if you need them. As you head up the

stairs when you have a clear view of Wong, Precision aim him then back down the stairs. If the machine gun guy is still on the other side run back up

the stairs and repeat till you can no longer use precision aim. Use the HMG to knock the statue down and pick up the two cranes. Keep an eye on your

health and keep picking up medkits. Now repeat the method to precision aim again. One there all done, Wong should be quite low on health. Now

your going to use the same method but using TT and shooting him with Golden Pistols or the HMG. By the time you've emptied them he should be

long dead and you'll be finished.

If by any chance you end up killing the lone bad guy, head back up in the corners and wipe the waves of enemies out till you've got one bad guys left

again. Though this is a pain in the ass you should get enough Style points to unlock Precision aim again.

And that's it. As I said, some of the early battle s are a bit hazy so if my methods won't work let me know and I'll double check them. If you have nay

suggestions again feel free to add them and I'll add them to the list with credit.

Good Luck!

Edited by Tenlo

Just a tip for the final bosses, u dont need to actually fight them on hard-boiled at all. Go to chapter select in the menu and choose to do the bosses on casual so u complete the game and get to the ranking part, at that point do not press A continue but press B quit to main menu. When at the menu go to continue and choose Hard-Boiled as the difficulty and it will count as you doing the final bosses on hard-boiled and will only have to fight them on casual - saves you from wanting to smash your xbox to pieces. I didnt really want to have to do this but it was driving me to the point of insanity.

• 1 month later...

Gotta say, this hard boiled *cheat* doesn't actually work. It just records that you beat the boss on casual... so I am doing it the hard boiled way... which is, as the difficulty suggest, hard boiled!

If I ever meet the person who rated it as 3... well... I will shove my controller up his jacksy! (kidding, can't afford to lose a controller like that and I certainly wouldn't want it back).

Edited by Wortsenawl

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...