Wow this game..

I was in love with it for the first 2 hours.

Got boring within 8.

Then at the end..the glass traps...WHAT THE FUCK?

Went from my top 10 games to FUCK THIS SHIT I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE PLAY IT EVER.

How did that happen? Horrible game design? Boring ass later levels that were less fun than tedious? Bad story? Stupid ass stupid fucking everything?

Really hate to say it, but after chapter 4, you will hate this game. It shows its sub-parness way too much by then and when you have "glass walls" that are invisible, let alone the massive amounts of '2 inch cant walkover without jumping' glitches..sigh..this game kinda sucked. :/

Really enjoyed it for awhile. Was one of my favorite games ever until I got further into the game. Dollhouse level is utter bullshit and complete faggotry.

Wish I could revoke my 90/100 I gave it for a more fitting 60/100.

EDIT: And then the slide parts? WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING? I just watched the real Alice In Wonderland twice (not the shitty remake with Johnny Depp) and she NEVER slid down anything. SHE FELLL. The horrible parts where you have to dodge random splooge areas of dark matter? REALLY? I mean REALLY?! They were obviously low budget and they thought those horrible parts were...FUN?

No. Just no.

Edited by TheUglyCasanova

I really enjoyed this game...

Although, I agree, I loved it for the first few hours, amazed, fascinated and completely addicted....then the gameplay gets really repetitive.

Platforms...jump...more platforms....float....more platforms...slash.

I think the game would actually have been better shorter, and I usually say the opposite for games these days.

Excellent game, but they drew out each level too much to the point where you begin to flag and just want to get onto the next part of the story.

EDIT: And then the slide parts? WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING? I just watched the real Alice In Wonderland twice (not the shitty remake with Johnny Depp) and she NEVER slid down anything. SHE FELLL.

you do realize the game is intended as a SEQUEL (not adaptation) to the BOOKS (not the various movies), right?

Fully enjoyed the game even on the later levels even though I have to admit that I like the first chapter best. Anyway I think this is a great game and when I see developers put heart and thought into their product I can look over a few design flaws.

Always glad to see something stand out from this flood of generic shovelware shooters.

I actually loved this game =) Though I admit it had its problems.

I actually couldn't stand the first disney version of alice in wonderland. I prefer my alice dark and twisted. Seems more in keeping with the books. The disney version was far too light and fluffy.

I liked th doll house level but I have to admit it was very frustrating at times.

I love this game for how original it is. I like games that have something unique about them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Screw those freaking peach collecting mini games, I'm up to the 2nd of what sadly looks like 3. I'm at the big where the stupid wasps are firing on the burning houses.

I outgrew this on my Atari eons ago, what a waste of freaking time. I only started the game because I thought I'd be an interesting 1000, but like the guy at the top said NO just NO!

The game was alright, though I must agree it was a little too stretched out with nothing to ease the pain. The game could have stopped after the 4th chapter and nothing of value would have been lost. But no, Alice had to go from Wonderland to it's interpretation of a building from a Saw movie. I guess this is what you get for letting Tim Burton make a film remake a year before and basing the game off that.

• 1 month later...
I disagree, it was the OPPOSITE for me. I got extrememly bored with the game but towards the end of it I started really enjoying it.

I agree with this. Chapters 4 and 5 were okay, and 6 was just the boss, so it wasn't that bad. I hated chapter 3 with a passion, it felt like it was drug on for too long, and I hated the theme. Ultimately this game was a little disappointing for me, because I had played and loved the original (on PC when it first came out), and it seems like a higher budget could have made this game great. Shame :( Here's hoping they make a prequel or sequel with more money.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow... for the people who had trouble in the game, it sounds like someone needs to... "improvise, adapt and overcome" in his (or her) playing! Is this game perfect? No. Is any game out there perfect? No.

If I only played games that were perfect (or nearly so)... I wouldn't be playing very many games! For some people, there may be hardware issues (I've heard about the display-lag that can occur with "some" flat-screen TV's). That could certainly cause problems with jumping/landing where you're supposed to... I don't know (make sure your TV is in "Game Mode" - if it has one)!

I don't let minor glitches ruin a game for me.

I thought the game-play was fun. Sure, some parts were tedious (but I encounter that in almost ANY game)... but overall, the game played well. The visuals are FANTASTIC. Also (and I've mentioned this in a different thread), the Dolby Digital sound in this game is AMAZING! It sounds great overall... but the LFE sub-woofer will blow your socks off when you "power-swing" the Hobby Horse!! Best sub-woofer sound I've ever heard in a game (so far)!

My only complaint isn't even about the game itself - it's the complete lack of dashboard themes, gamer-pics, or any avatar items for the game (I've covered this in yet another thread)! The studio could have made a tidy sum for the sale of just these items, but alas... no.

Perhaps this game isn't for people with two-dimensional thinking (like leaderboard nerds playing Battlefield 3 and the like)?! :p

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this game from start to finish. It wasn't a perfect game, but none are. I'm a huge fan of the series and it was one of my most anticipated games of last year, the other being Catherine. It was rather refreshing to have an action platformer released in the current world of cookie-cutter FPS. Whenever they decide to do a third game, I will be there on day one with a purchase.

Bought this yesterday off of gamefly. Waiting for it to arrive. I have a big backlog, but I felt like I had to jump on it.

I own the original for PC, but I can't play it anymore (own a Mac, which doesn't support it, and finding a copy for that is hard/expensive) and the PC we have now is a crap one that was given to us just to have. I know I have to buy it for an additional $10 on XBLA, but I have no problem doing so, as I remember loving it and I'm stoked to finally get to play it again/and the sequel.

I'm pretty confident I will enjoy this, despite the flaws. I'm pretty forgiving with games unless they are absolutely terrible or unplayable.

http://www.vvio.info/jpg1Fully enjoyed the game even on the later levels even though I have to admit that I like the first chapter best. Anyway I think this is a great game and when I see developers put heart and thought into their product I can look over a few design flaws.

Always glad to see something stand out from this flood of generic shovelware shooters.

I like the first chapter best. Anyway I think this is a great game

I hope you like it. I loved the game but truthfully it gets really repetitive. The music doesn't help either, it just adds to the repetitive feeling.

I think I'm gonna love it. I think the game will arrive tomorrow. :woop:

Hmmm! Sh*t, the game won't arrive til monday! =( I was planning on playing it during the weekend... Bummer! :(

Sounds like you're on pins and needles... in anticipation!

Be sure to play the original Alice game FIRST! It's a good game, if not VERY challenging at times. However... the sequel [Madness Returns] plays a LOT better. That said... I didn't enjoy the original as much, after playing Madness Returns (I kept trying to "float" after jumping... only to fall to my death - NUMEROUS TIMES)!

If anyone buying the game does NOT get the code for the original game, it IS available for purchase from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 800 MS Points. I also HIGHLY recommend getting the "Weapons of Madness and Dresses Pack" DLC. It will help quite a bit, and the different dresses are also worth it for how they look, not just the perk you get from them!

Edited by Restricted-Access
Updated info!

Be sure to play the original Alice game FIRST! It's a good game, if not VERY challenging at times. However... the sequel [Madness Returns] plays a LOT better. That said... I didn't enjoy the original as much, after playing Madness Returns (I kept trying to "float" after jumping... only to fall to my death - NUMEROUS TIMES)!

I agree with this. It's best to play the original, American McGee's Alice, first. This way, you will completely understand the plot and you will probably enjoy it better by playing it first. The controls for the original can be awkward at times, but I still found it enjoyable. I personally like Madness Returns a lot better though.

• 4 weeks later...

I can understand how Alice feels like it gets monotonous in terms of the gameplay, it did feel that way for me a bit at times. But the game was still very pleasing for me, a pleasurable comeback for McGee after so many years. Alice in Wonderland has been my favorite fairytale from the get-go, so I am a bit biased as well. Sure the technical gameplay isn't exactly innovative and can feel a bit stiff/redundant after awhile, but I feel that the game was meant most to be aesthetically pleasing, which it definitely was. Each of the worlds was incredibly vivid in its own way, vibrant and eye-catching while still harnessing the macabre tone of American McGee. This game got 9/10 from me. :]