What I always wanted Fable to be

I had to ask this but does anyone else feel this way. I have played every Fable but to me they have gotten worse instead of better. I mean running around making fart and burping sounds only takes you so far. But Amalur is exactly where I was hoping Fable would have went. Its long but not drawn out, there is a ton of loot and the fighting is on par with any RPG. So far it just seems like a lot of fun and no real chore to it. Great job Big Huge Games, Look forward to your next project.

I just ran through the two DLC's for this after not playing it for a couple months and I can say I agree with both of you a bit.

Pros

-The combat is constantly fun especially being able to change classes at anytime with a Fateweaver.

-The menu system is damn near perfect, other RPG's should take note.

-The length. No shortage of quests to do here.

Cons

-The story. I didn't care about anything anybody was saying the entire time I played this, DLC included. All dialogue skipped by mashing the "X" button. I seriously didn't find a single character interesting.

-Fetch quest hell. There might be hundreds of quests in the game but there are about three variations of the type of quests you get. I can acutally only think of two, "go kill it" or "go get it."

-Some finicky achievements (Green Thumb, Exterminator, Murder Most Fowl) again based on fetch questing and grinding.

I played The Legend of Dead Kel late last night, trying to finish the quest to fully restore Gravehal Keep and I really started to think it would never end.

Go find 15 of "this item."

Exit the area of the quest-giver.

Load.

Fast travel.

Load.

Gather the 15 items.

Save.

Fast travel.

Load.

Enter the area of the quest-giver.

Load.

Here's 15 of "that item."

Quest Giver: "Oh good. Come back later, I'll need some time."

Me: "You and me both."

Exit the area of the quest-giver.

Load.

Fast travel to my house.

Load.

Enter my house to get to my bed to wait 48 hours.

Load.

Goto the bed.

Wait.

Load.

Save.

Exit the house.

Load.

Fast travel back to the fetch quest giver.

Load.

Quest complete.

New Quest: Go find 15 of "this item."

I literally spent more time waiting around in this fictional world than I did playing in it.

Edited by WalterWhite

@Kirby, I may have come off a little harsh because I did enjoy Fable otherwise I wouldn't have played all 3 and some of things were pretty good in 3 especially the whole kingdom and ruling as King. But overall I feel the game was getting a little silly where the 1st was a more serious game. Remember the commercial for the 1st Fable with the guy in the subway, that was awesome and I think they have gotten away from the feel. But do respect your opinion.

@Walter, love the sig. You are right some things are a little tedious but to be fair most RPG's are a lot of running and fetching. I'm enjoying the story so far and thats a big element for most games if you don't enjoy the story it is going to make for a big chore.

Yeah Krazy it really does have that Fable feel to it.

Agree with Exhausted Dad.

I've played Fable TLC, Fable 2 and 3... TLC was an amizing action-RPG, with armors, bosses, and intresting magic powers (that stuck with the "karma" of the char) and a good challenge level.

Fable 2 was an horrible action-rpg, with useless clothes (no stats, WTF?), no bosses (just one near the end of the game...), an HORRIBLE ending, and no challenge... (I've beat the game in 9.30 hours with ALL the sidequests done, without being defeated once). No exp, no mana... what? Still an RPG? And the story... with that ending... non sense.

Fable 3 was even worse if possible... framerate issues, no challenge (1 achievment obtained for being not defeated. WTF?), stil no bosses, just a bunch of more-powerful normal enemies (but the last one, that "tried" to be a boss... this amazing enemy with the power of a chicken)... with just a bit better story than Fable 2 but with a lot of time wasted by farming gold (like 4-5 hours of the 14 total).

Then comes Amalur... maybe not an epic story, but armores are back (a LOT of armors), hp, mana, exp, classes, a huge world map, endless hours of gameplay (9-14 hours Fable2/3... 60+ Amalur, just for Main quest).

For me? Amalur = Fable wannabe. Or at least, Fable without all the useless things that Moulinex loved to insert, like "funny" emotes (farting and co.), kick-the-chicken competition, stupid npc gifts etc.

Fable kind of lost its way, I believe. They tried to do too much after Fable 1 was such a success, and the latter two were lackluster.

As for Amalur, I think it's fantastic.

Pros

Fluid, Fun Combat System- Being able to fluidly switch between two weapons and cast spells at the same time makes fighting enemy after enemy quite fun. I just wish there was a bit more complexity to the shifting, such as different combos and finishers depending on when you hit what power/weapon.

Length- I've put a good 30 or so hours into the game in the past week or so and have not even explored half of the game world. Quests galore, too.

Loot System- For me, at least, it's terribly exciting opening chests and checking dead enemies for the next best weapons/armor.

Cons

Story- Like some of you said before me, the story is dreadfully awful. I listened to the dialogue through the tutorial, and since then have mashed the X button. I feel like they tried to do too much with a brand new world, and overcomplicated it to the point where no one knows what's going on.

Skill System- Not the Abilities, but almost all the skills are useless. I mean, I have never put a point in Lockpicking or Dispelling and can open Very Hard chests in both categories. Really simple. Sagecrafting is alright, and alchemy isn't really needed since Hard mode is so simple. The only ones really worth it are Detect Hidden, Mercantile, Persuasion and Stealth if you're going to be sneaky. Having more unique or useful skills would have been nice.

Really, I drew more of a comparison from this game to the Elder Scrolls games rather than Fable. I mean, it's all there, from the Warsworn (Companions), Travelers (Theives Guild), and Scholia Arcana (Mages Guild) factions to three main playstyles (Warrior, Mage, Thief/Assassin), it's a cut-and-dry RPG, much like the review for the game said.

With a little more originality and uniqueness, along with a little less complexity in terms of the story, I think this could have been a home run.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree 100%. Amalur is EVERYTHING I wanted Fable to be, I haven't had this much fun with an RPG in a long time. I never played the first Fable, but my first thought upon playing Fable 2 was 'WTF is this shit?'. Hated every minute of it. Played Fable 3 as I thought the mechanics sounded interesting but yet again just a boring game with crap combat and about three enemy types. I'm only 20 hours into Amalur but I love it, my RPG of the year so far.

In honest, yeah. I agree with you there. I ran through the fable games (TLC being my fav.) Fable got very lost in what it wanted to be, and even then most of it was broken some way or another.

Whilst Amalur isn't perfect (name a game that is), I think that it play better than the later instalments of the Fable series.

Fable kind of lost its way, I believe. They tried to do too much after Fable 1 was such a success, and the latter two were lackluster.

As for Amalur, I think it's fantastic.

Pros

Fluid, Fun Combat System- Being able to fluidly switch between two weapons and cast spells at the same time makes fighting enemy after enemy quite fun. I just wish there was a bit more complexity to the shifting, such as different combos and finishers depending on when you hit what power/weapon.

Length- I've put a good 30 or so hours into the game in the past week or so and have not even explored half of the game world. Quests galore, too.

Loot System- For me, at least, it's terribly exciting opening chests and checking dead enemies for the next best weapons/armor.

Cons

Story- Like some of you said before me, the story is dreadfully awful. I listened to the dialogue through the tutorial, and since then have mashed the X button. I feel like they tried to do too much with a brand new world, and overcomplicated it to the point where no one knows what's going on.

Skill System- Not the Abilities, but almost all the skills are useless. I mean, I have never put a point in Lockpicking or Dispelling and can open Very Hard chests in both categories. Really simple. Sagecrafting is alright, and alchemy isn't really needed since Hard mode is so simple. The only ones really worth it are Detect Hidden, Mercantile, Persuasion and Stealth if you're going to be sneaky. Having more unique or useful skills would have been nice.

Really, I drew more of a comparison from this game to the Elder Scrolls games rather than Fable. I mean, it's all there, from the Warsworn (Companions), Travelers (Theives Guild), and Scholia Arcana (Mages Guild) factions to three main playstyles (Warrior, Mage, Thief/Assassin), it's a cut-and-dry RPG, much like the review for the game said.

With a little more originality and uniqueness, along with a little less complexity in terms of the story, I think this could have been a home run.

Totally agree with all your points, except for a little caveat on the loot. I am about half way through the game. I took peoples' recommendations and played the DLC before the end of the game, and so I was able to get some good loot and am pretty well leveled at this point. Well then I mastered my blacksmithing in an effort to get the achievement and realized I could make some reediculously OP armor! I have a full dread scale set for my "Rogue" and he has armor of 1500 and my health is almost 2000! I happen to be playing a melee oriented one anyways with bow as my secondary... but it's insane! I almost have a full prismere set for my "warrior" and that is going to be even more insane. I have no reason to pick up gear anymore except to find stuff to break down to finish my mage's set. I'm not sure how they could have changed that, and I am not sure I would want them too... maybe just make it take longer for that stuff to become available... I dunno.... In all honesty I am stoked that I am a beast in my armor! :woop:

The other thing is, I wanted to second your comment about useless skills. I realized that early on. I put all my points into blacksmithing and detect hidden and sagecrafting. I got tired of being cursed so I put a few in dispel as well... but I don't even need mercantile (2mil+ gold now)... I am going to re roll as a super stealth guy I think and see how it works with max stealth... so that should be fun... anyways. Good points mate!

• 2 months later...

Hey Exhausted, long time no hear from. Anyway, agree - I couldn't get through Fable 2, quit. Didn't try Fable 3, idk maybe I'll trade 2 in for it. Like this game a lot and its really too bad that they aren't around anymore to fix the problems. If they were it would go from a good game to a great one. There are definitely things much better about this game than Skyrim (no half-people stuck in the dirt randomly next to themselves), and I haven't played Dogma yet.

Was over on other consoles for awhile - played Xenoblade, Majin, etc. Like Skyrim, Reckoning's story is eh, but the gameplay is just the best, love the battle system. A little DAish with great animations.

Comparing any game to the Fable series is an insult. 1 was good for its time thats it (I own and completed all 3). As far as people complaining about fetch/kill quests.....its an rpg what did you expect?

EDIT: you will love Dragon's dogma better than all the rest mentioned here including elder scrolls the epic battles are second to none.

Edited by Darth Cuda

• 5 weeks later...

I was having a discussion with 2 friends earlier. All 3 of us were playing KoA, and we came to the conclusion that its Fable with an Oblivion sized world. Probably better analogies out there, but the only Fable I ever liked was the first. I've played 2 and 3, and I have to say, I don't like either 1 bit. Completely disappointing, and not much to do in them. Yeah they employed great voice actors, but that's where all the money went.

I will admit, I have been skipping dialogue,which is unusual for me, as I like to find out what's going on, but I don't rightly care for any of the characters in the game. 17 hours in, and I'm level 13, and I've been running round completing side quests and have hardly touched the main quest. Plenty of loot available, which is nice, and my mage elf is already tearing enemies apart with ease. Can see I'm gonna be making a beast character quite soon.

One thing I will say, skill trainers are bloody extortionists! But at least the world of Amalur is a bright, vibrant and colourful one. Shame that I won't have much time for it once the new Minecraft update comes out. But until then, I'm going to enjoy every minute I get on it.

Some may chastise me for this, but I think its better than Skyrim. KoA and Two Worlds 2 have been my favourite RPG's played since I first played Oblivion. Yes, I enjoyed the Two Worlds series, and loved every minute. I know I'm strange, so no need to tell me.

• 2 months later...

The thing about Fable and Reckoning was that you can't relate or connect with ANY of the NPCs. Sure they have names and actually have interesting stuff to say in Reckoning, but they all look the same, talk the same, are a tad to expressive, and just have relatively dull personalities. BUT, the combat is awesome when you gracefully maiming and massacring monsters.