Which Console Generation Have You Enjoyed the Most/ Is There A "Definitive" Gen?

LickableLemons7

Which Console Gen Have You Enjoyed The Most?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Gen Have You Enjoyed The Most?

• 1st (Odyssey/Telstar/Pong consoles/etc)
    • 2nd (2600/5200/Odyssey 2/ColecoVision/Intellivision/etc)
    • 3rd (NES/7800/SG-1000/Mark III/Master System/)
    • 4th (SNES/Genesis/Mega Drive/TurboGrafx-16/Game Boy/Game Gear)
    • 5th (N64/PS1/Saturn/3DO/Jaguar/GBC/Virtual Boy/WonderSwan)
    • 6th (GameCube/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GBA/N-Gage)
    • 7th (Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP)
    • 8th (Wii U/PS4/One/Ouya/3DS/Vita)

Haha, I knocked 7th gen into the lead:dance:

There were a lot of good games back on the N64 and PS1 and I think in many ways that gen was the most definitive in terms of innovation, new ideas and fan favourite games but because the title asked for the gen I had the most fun on, I had to go with 7th. To me the games weren't just games but experiences. Killing friends in Goldeneye and trying to find all masks in Majora's Mask was fun but the story telling and worlds of games from the 7th gen like the Mass Effect series and Deus Ex will probably stay with me a lot longer in the years to come.

Edited by DEG23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Gen 5 because of the Sega Saturn. Had some breath taking games and I love the look, sound and feel of games back then.

The 360 era I've enjoyed the most overall because of achievement hunting and it's allowed me to experience games I never would have otherwise.

It was close for me. Xbox360 has TONS of cheap games I enjoy, and has kept me solely stuck on for about 4 years (aside from PC). Nothing else has done that since Coleco/NES when I was a kid and could only have a few games.

But PS1 had a lot of innovation and games.

And Dreamcast was the sh*t for it's time. Web browser, optional mouse/keyboard... things that were unheard of then. It's like it had all this unrealized potential (at least in the US... dunno about elsewhere). That system impressed me the most for it's time.

But ultimately, 360 has had the longevity and wealth of cheap games I've enjoyed and more I know I will enjoy, plus achievements are fun (not needed but like the icing on the cake).

Atari (my cousins had it) and Coleco will always have a fond place in my heart... but as an adult, seriously, I need to save when I want or at least frequently to deal with real life!

Also I'm too cheap to buy a Xbox One yet. :) I've always bought consoles used/on sale well after they are out... when there's LOTS of games, and they are cheap too.

Edited by Deviantelf
words, grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta go with the PS2 era, i have been playing since 2nd generation, I remember most controllers only had 1 button, when I had my spectrum/C64 most games used the keyboard I remember International Karate + (GREAT GAME!!!) required 8 different keys just to move, then 2 more for punches and kicks, now it was in my youth but that makes for some crazy hand combos AND if you were playing a friend then 2 people around a keyboard fighting over 20 different keys!!!!

BUT through all these generations the games have never really changed at a base level, graphics not included, I had space games (Elite), fighting games (IK+,DD,Karate Champ), first person games (Dungeon Master), RPG (Wasteland), Sports (Daley Thompsons, Sensible Soccer) all with real poor graphics by todays standards but actual games have been pretty much the same since day 1. I am sure if you questioned a Programmer back then his OWN vision of any game would have been just like the ideas of today.

I guess we are lucky that we have comfortable, ergonomic multi functioning controllers, online capability and some vistas which make Hollywood jealous.

The definition of anything is always subject to the persons own experience and age, enjoy them ALL.

I've been playing since the 2nd, but my favourite times in terms of outright enjoyment were the 4th generation with friends from school. I still have my original game boy :`).

In terms of the most definitive gen, i pick the 5th. The leap to disc media changed everything, along with the internet starting to become available for everyday users. By the end of the 5th generation gaming had moved on so much and paved the way for what we're playing now.

• 2 weeks later...