July Staff/Subscriber Genre Tournament - Discussion Thread

Creech

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I go to marketplace and Games on demand and I select the Strategy and tactics genre and I see...

Rock Band 3

Fable 3

Top Spin 4

Tomb Raider

etc

I give up hahaha.

I'll just use Creech's knowledge and x360a's list. I might give that Omerta a go because it did look fun and I love mafia films/games.

Why is Bomberman act zero not on the bloody marketplace >.<.

Edited by jamie1000013

Strategy? *looks at his Fire Emblem games, Final Fantasy Tactics and the like* SON OF- GET ON MY XBLA, NAO! Er...well, that one time Toy Soldiers went up free on the marketplace I picked it up...and I can always get the South Park game (since ya know...I sorta love the series).

Best to get some start than no start!

Guest Scotty
Just a nice little reminder to my opponents that the Toy Soldier games are Strategy and are DotW.

how very courteous of you, thanks:) i'm gonna have to procure these and maybe worms off the marketplace. i own precisely zero strategy games.

how very courteous of you, thanks:) i'm gonna have to procure these and maybe worms off the marketplace. i own precisely zero strategy games.

The funny part about this one is that if I was competing, I would struggle here simply because I have completed so many of them. I have 800 strategy :gsicon: or so sitting on my phone that I have not touched, and another couple arcade games on the console, but other than that lots of hard/long retail games. Plus Omerta, which I haven't played and don't own, but is supposed to be pretty fast and easy for a strategy game.

Guest Scotty
The funny part about this one is that if I was competing, I would struggle here simply because I have completed so many of them. I have 800 strategy :gsicon: or so sitting on my phone that I have not touched, and another couple arcade games on the console, but other than that lots of hard/long retail games. Plus Omerta, which I haven't played and don't own, but is supposed to be pretty fast and easy for a strategy game.

i won't be having that problem with any specific genre:p i might have to ask my mate if i can borrow his Omerta then, he just bought it and says it's pretty good, so that and easy achievements, i can't complain.

i might have to see about those history games too, but i don't know if they are out over here. they seem like a north american thing. i'ma have to do some research...http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/coffee.gif http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/findinglink.gif http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/lookingitup.gif

i won't be having that problem with any specific genre:p

It's safe to say I'll never have that problem either. :D

i might have to see about those history games too, but i don't know if they are out over here. they seem like a north american thing. i'ma have to do some research...http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/coffee.gif http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/findinglink.gif http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/lookingitup.gif

I'm pretty sure you're right there, that the History Channel games are exclusive to North America. I remember Deadly Dog was going to have them in his staff club but couldn't, hence his blurb. :p

I'm going to start with finally playing the DLC for A World of Keflings. I said I would in the completion competition... and didn't. Ditto the LMS competition. Random.org has given me a third chance, best not waste it; that site has a wrath I'd rather not meet. :p

It would also be a good time to play RISK: Factions as I bought that nearly two years ago and haven't played it yet. Will have to see if I can find Halo Wars and Civ Rev for a good price too. Have been wanting to play them so this is the perfect opportunity.

It's an interesting genre to start things off with anyways. I hope RPG gets a go next. :D

Edited by Jester Stephan

Guest Scotty
It's safe to say I'll never have that problem either. :D

Hold me!:(

I'm pretty sure you're right there, that the History Channel games are exclusive to North America. I remember Deadly Dog was going to have them in his staff club but couldn't, hence his blurb. :p

I'm going to start with finally playing the DLC for A World of Keflings. I said I would in the completion competition... and didn't. Ditto the LMS competition. Random.org has given me a third chance, best not waste it; that site has a wrath I'd rather not meet. :p

It would also be a good time to play RISK: Factions as I bought that nearly two years ago and haven't played it yet.

It's an interesting genre to start things off with anyways. I hope RPG gets a go next. :D

ah well, i'm forgetting it's only a week at a time, so i'll probably only have time for Toy Soldiers due to work, etc. i don't want to just buy a shit-ton of games for every genre and end up without the time to play them.

i don't think i even have a strong genre. for RPG i've only got Dragons Dogma and The Witcher 2, both hard games with long winded achievements. i think shooter would be best and i'd just go buy a load of crappy FPS's or something.

so we start Sunday at 12:00 pt. So once again i will ask, what it that in gmt?

8am our time. :)

i don't think i even have a strong genre. for RPG i've only got Dragons Dogma and The Witcher 2, both hard games with long winded achievements. i think shooter would be best and i'd just go buy a load of crappy FPS's or something.

I have a lot of half-finished RPGs that I'd like to go back to such as Dragon Age, the Mass Effect games and Oblivion. A lot of choices, but whether I'd be able to get many achievements to show for it is a different matter.

I have the exact same plan for a shooter scenario. :p

Edited by Jester Stephan

so we start Sunday at 12:00 pt. So once again i will ask, what it that in gmt?

Ahhh for fuck sake. I forgot the competition doesn't start when the genre is announced...I just earned 300G for nothing.

Any way to barter my way out of it by saying I wont earn any tomorrow and take my score for today as tomorrow's?

Damn it, I just finished all the Keflings DLC a few weeks back. For anyone who is looking for quick GS, the Keflings DLC is very easy, as well as the main game.

This genre is pretty weak for me backlog speaking, although I do have some games I can try and grind out. I'm going to try and avoid buying any games this competition, as many of the genres I have huge backlogs for ;P.

I have a few arcade titles I can do for this genre though that I've had sitting there.

Guest Scotty

so this is pretty last minute, but i can't sleep and thoughts take over, etc...

anyway, just want to clarify something about the scoring thread, could i make my post in there, say on monday after getting my first achievement(s), and then just update it constantly over the week until the deadline, or am i only allowed to post my final total at once, before the deadline?

anyway, just want to clarify something about the scoring thread, could i make my post in there, say on monday after getting my first achievement(s), and then just update it constantly over the week until the deadline, or am i only allowed to post my final total at once, before the deadline?

Also, if your teammate has for some reason forgotten to post, could you post on their behalf?

Ahhh for fuck sake. I forgot the competition doesn't start when the genre is announced...I just earned 300G for nothing.

Any way to barter my way out of it by saying I wont earn any tomorrow and take my score for today as tomorrow's?

Nope.

I personally would recommend your first approach.

Also, if your teammate has for some reason forgotten to post, could you post on their behalf?

Absolutely.

Guest Scotty

I personally would recommend your first approach.

Nice! i'll do that then.:) provided i don't suck as much as i think at strategy games and can get some achievements:P

Thinking it over, this is the best category for me in Round 1. It looks I've got a 7 day work week ahead of me (ugh) and since it's the start of the month all my money is going to bills, so I have next to no money for games this week. Strategy is a pretty rough category even without obstructions, so I don't feel as bad about not being optimal this week.

I see really no reason to keep secret about what I've got in my backlog, so here's a breakdown:

Retail: 305:gsicon:

[spoiler=VEERETAIL]Age of Empires Online - 0:gsicon: - Very little I can do with the free version, and I don't have the money or desire to grab any of the expansions.

Halo Wars - 0:gsicon: - Unfortunately all I have left are ranked achievements, which aren't practical for competition purposes. Sad thing is I just mopped up the difficulty achievements a few weeks ago, if I'd held out more it would've been a decent contribution.

Record of Agarest War - 0:gsicon: - On loan to a friend, but even without that this game A) is very hard to get into since I'm not an (S)RPG person, and B) takes forever to earn achievements so it wouldn't be a good choice for the competition.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - 305:gsicon: - My only existing retail backlog game that I can really do anything with. I already knocked out a lot of the "fast" gamerscore, but provided I can find the time to actually sit through a large number of games (one for each civilization), that'll net me a couple hundred.

Arcade - 485:gsicon:

[spoiler=VEEXBLA]A World of Keflings - 200:gsicon: - Bought during a sale over 2 years ago (yikes), yet haven't touched it. Will get around to it this week, won't be picking up the DLC within the week window though.

Age of Booty - 200:gsicon: - Bought on a whim over 3 years ago (bigger yikes!), haven't touched it. Will get around to it this week.

Magic The Gathering - 0:gsicon: - Completed most of the main game, all I have left is a grinding achievement and the DLC, which I have no intention to get.

Toy Soldiers - 85:gsicon: - I got this game at release along with a friend, too bad the netcode sucked. Only ever made it halfway through the campaign, so I'll try to revisit this and knock out most of the main game, ignoring ration tickets because those look like they'll take longer than I want to invest right now. And just like everything else, I have to pass on DLC for now.

This tournament is awesome, in the last 60 days I've only earned 375:gsicon:, and if things go well this Round I'll earn more than double that in just 7 days :D I know that number is pitiful but I'm trying damnit.

Very much looking forward to future rounds.

Edited by Veedrock