Space Marines

• 2 weeks later...

Space Marines sell, its as simple as that. They are the poster child for 40k, so its no wonder they are used in the videogames. And given the Ultramarines movie thats in the works, its also no surprising the chapter used is going to be Ultramarines.

Theres also the fact that whilst those of us who have played the tabletop game are familiar with the various races, there are some whose only exposure to the universe comes from Dawn of War so it makes sense to keep Marines as the primary protagonists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well Warhammer 40k originated from Space Marines/Tyranids (space hulk) adn you can't really play as a tyranid as that is just mindless attacking in massive numbers to devour planets.

so thats probably why space marines are so overdone.

You sir are wrong, very very wrong!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Jesus Christ, Relic has played out the Space Marines so bad already. Every single damn game is a Space Marine campaign, they're so damn played out and boring.

They should have made the game from the perspective of the Chaos Legions, they're so much more interesting.

Finally someone who speaks the truth. I am sick of the Space Marine goody-toeshoes crap. I really can't stand the Ultramarines to boot! I want to play as my Word Bearers plain and simple. I WANT DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!! But to be fair to Relic, Space Marines do sell. And I agree with what was previously posted 'it's hard for people to associate with Chaos Space Marines.'

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Finally someone who speaks the truth. I am sick of the Space Marine goody-toeshoes crap. I really can't stand the Ultramarines to boot! I want to play as my Word Bearers plain and simple. I WANT DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!! But to be fair to Relic, Space Marines do sell. And I agree with what was previously posted 'it's hard for people to associate with Chaos Space Marines.'

Heresy! I'll have to kill you in multiplayer when the game comes out for this outrage! Also, saying the space marines are overused is like saying that humans are overused in games. I haven't heard people whine about always having to play as humans in any other game... Also, Chaos is evil. I don't want to be a super-evil demon worshipping dirt bag. I think Chaos is overused, why aren't we fighting tyranids, or necrons, or something cool?

Edited by Battletick
Minor change

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day, I love marines. Would love to see Space Wolves, or some kind of chapter customisation. Would be an awesome feature. You can see from my attempt at a GT who my money is always going to be one but I have to agree. It would be nice to see some other work go into a game, you know an Imperial Guard campaign, or maybe like an rpg necromunda stylee game.

I love the original Space Hulk PC game, I think I was about 12 when it came out and was sh*****g myself all the way through. I was disappointed with Blood Bowl however, and I was looking forward to that so much. Probably my favourite spin off.

All in all I think there has been quite a few attempts at making something from the series, from Dawn of War to Blood Bowl to Space Hulk to Battlemarch but when it comes down to console gaming, marines are always gonna be top choice if they're to compete, i.e Master Chief, Marcus Fenix etc.

Edited by dlmc88

Also, saying the space marines are overused is like saying that humans are overused in games. I haven't heard people whine about always having to play as humans in any other game... Also, Chaos is evil. I don't want to be a super-evil demon worshipping dirt bag. I think Chaos is overused, why aren't we fighting tyranids, or necrons, or something cool?

Humans are overused, games would be more unique if they had non-humans in them like Mass Effect or the Elder Scrolls.

Chaos has their bag of whammies in addition to humans, I saw some daemons in a trailers.

For the general public, having a Human main character is easier to understand and get into then trying to understand a non-human characters background, society, thinking, etc.

In addition, since video games are a 'release' from reality, playing a super soldier is more appealing then most other options, and Astartes fit the bill nicely.

I would love to play as a chaos marine, but one problem is how do you pick? How do you show the many different ways and mind sets a chaos marine could have? Or different characteristics? Those that are aware of them usually have their favorite or one they identify more with, even if they don't want to play them. Loyalist Space Marines are easier as they all have the same basic mindset with just minor differences in how they operate. So it is better for a company to go with what the general public will want, and maybe have a dlc that explores the 'others' to some degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be cool if you started at a Space Marine and then had a Choice turn to Chaos kinda like in Chaos Rising, It makes sense for the player then, as a choice for being evil instead of being told your evil

But forgot about to much Space Marine, what about to much 40k in general,

I want a Kick-Ass Warhammer Fantasy game, How awesome would it be to play as a Warrior Priest, Witch Hunter, Slayer or even a game based on one of the Novels, I would actually Jizz if they made a Malus Darkblade game in a Similar Hack n Slash style to Space Marine

Unfortunatly i think some Crap Developer owns the rights to WH Fantasy so i doubt it will happen, Warhammer Online has been the only good WHF game and even that didnt have enough legs to make it last