My questions are,

1) Whats the best way to lvl up and to lvl up Stats and Skills?

2)Is there a time limit on the Theif's Guild to were the invite will be useless or can I go to that at anytime like after the Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild quests?

3) If I joined the Dark Brotherhood will that cancel my other guild memberships?

1. Leveling up depends entirely on how you play the game. Some people try to level as efficiently as possible so that all their attributes are maxed when they hit the level cap. Other people never level, so they stay at level one the whole time, but they increase their skills. Most people just level up the skills that they use all the time. Its entirely up to you.

2. You can join the Thieves Guild at any time after you receive the invite.

3. Joining the Dark Brotherhood does not automatically get you kicked out of other guilds. You do have to be careful on Dark Brotherhood missions though. Killing innocents while you have an active Thieves Guild mission can get you in trouble and killing other members of the Mages Guild can get you kicked out.

Edited by Andrew x360a

1. Leveling up depends entirely on how you play the game. Some people try to level as efficiently as possible so that all their attributes are maxed when they hit the level cap. Other people never level, so they stay at level one the whole time, but they increase their skills. Most people just level up the skills that they use all the time. Its entirely up to you.

2. You can join the Thieves Guild at any time after you receive the invite.

3. Joining the Dark Brotherhood does not automatically get you kicked out of other guilds. You do have to be careful on Dark Brotherhood missions though. Killing innocents while you have an active Thieves Guild mission can get you in trouble and killing other members of the Mages Guild can get you kicked out.

Thanks for the info. My next question is how do I lvl up every Magicka skills?

• 3 months later...

i hope someone answers my question, since this game is pretty old.

1. Can i get the full 1000 in one playthru?

2. If i get the expansion pack, can i get all those points in on playthru as well?

Basically am trying to get the most point in one play since the game is so long.

2. If i get the expansion pack, can i get all those points in on playthru as well?

sort of. there are two achievements, one for taking over the house of demetia, and one for taking over the house of mania. since you make a choice between the two, technically you can only get one per playthrough.

technically. just save before the choice, and after making one, reload and make the other.

but that's the only real difficulty. everything else can (and WILL) be gotten in one playthrough.

• 2 months later...
sort of. there are two achievements, one for taking over the house of demetia, and one for taking over the house of mania. since you make a choice between the two, technically you can only get one per playthrough.

technically. just save before the choice, and after making one, reload and make the other.

but that's the only real difficulty. everything else can (and WILL) be gotten in one playthrough.

As long as the game doesn't glitch on you.

• 2 months later...
Two questions.

First: if the game glitches I lose the game data? >_<

Second: I can get all achievements in one playthrough, ok, but can I miss anything forever?

no you cannot miss anything forever due to the fact they are all guilds or storyline missions, the only way you could miss one is if it glitched

Does anyone know where I can buy lockpicks? I thought as a member of thieves guild I could just buy them off people but neither of my first two deyons are offering them nor my fencers.

edit: Forgot I already asked this in another thread...good answer here:

You can buy lockpicks from Shady Sam, the Thieves Guild fences, and M'raaj-Dar (if you're a member of the Dark Brotherhood). Also, during the quest May the Best Thief Win, you can buy lockpicks from Armand Christophe.

Edited by spunyun

• 1 year later...
What do I do with spell scrolls?

Does lowering difficulty give less exp, like in FO3?

Can i put items in chests and leave them there for a long time and not worry about them dissappearing?

Spell scrolls are just a way to cast spells without knowing the actual spell. Keep them or sell them. Scrolls are better for characters that can't use magic well. It's best not to rely on them because of the cost and difficulty to keep yourself supplied. Some spells are only found as scrolls (not particularly useful ones). http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Scrolls

XP works differently in ES4, you level every time your raise major skills by a total of 10. To gain the level you need to sleep. Attribute increases are goverened by skill increases during the previous level. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

Some chests respawn so not all of them are safe. Buy a house, all chests are safe inside. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Containers#Safe_Containers

• 3 months later...

I just realized I was on this site. Been a while seeing that I'm on other sites and all. Had a question about the fighting. I'll end up dying a lot at the beginning won't I? I'm trying to figure out how to at least hold my own but I keep getting killed by any and everything. What are some tips I need to know in order to have better sword fighting skills as well as increasing my hits? I am just getting back into this game. I made the mistake of playing Two Worlds first and just got too much into their easier fighting style. It's difficult to know how to fight Orcs and other things. I still hear the love for this title and want to give it the full attention it deserves.

I just realized I was on this site. Been a while seeing that I'm on other sites and all. Had a question about the fighting. I'll end up dying a lot at the beginning won't I? I'm trying to figure out how to at least hold my own but I keep getting killed by any and everything. What are some tips I need to know in order to have better sword fighting skills as well as increasing my hits? I am just getting back into this game. I made the mistake of playing Two Worlds first and just got too much into their easier fighting style. It's difficult to know how to fight Orcs and other things. I still hear the love for this title and want to give it the full attention it deserves.

You could always just lower the difficulty haha.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, starting a game of Oblivion, and I'm having trouble figuring out the best approach to levelling. According to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling you can either level as efficinetly as possible, getting your attributes as high as possible by the level cap, OR you can never sleep, getting all your skills to 100 while remaining a level 1 character. To me, the level 1 powerhouse sounds far superior from a difficulty standpoint--I'm not looking to spend 30+ hours just levelling, etc. I want to know what the best way to level your character is to 100% Oblivion as quickly as possible. Experienced answers are preferred over guesses. I played through when the game came out (back when the dashboard had blades XD), and don't remember the game being too terribly difficult just levelling normally, but I'm looking for efficiency here. Thanks!

Hey guys, starting a game of Oblivion, and I'm having trouble figuring out the best approach to levelling. According to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling you can either level as efficinetly as possible, getting your attributes as high as possible by the level cap, OR you can never sleep, getting all your skills to 100 while remaining a level 1 character. To me, the level 1 powerhouse sounds far superior from a difficulty standpoint--I'm not looking to spend 30+ hours just levelling, etc. I want to know what the best way to level your character is to 100% Oblivion as quickly as possible. Experienced answers are preferred over guesses. I played through when the game came out (back when the dashboard had blades XD), and don't remember the game being too terribly difficult just levelling normally, but I'm looking for efficiency here. Thanks!

Well there are a few drawbacks to the level 1 character. First off, you can't increase any of your attributes so you can't increase your maximum health, strength, speed etc. Second, you won't be able to find any of the great weapons and armor that are available to you at higher levels. Also, if you're using a mage, even though you'll have a high enough skill for any spell you won't have enough magika to cast the better spells.

What the guide on that site is referring to is that you level up minor skills that will give you bonuses to the attributes you wish to increase BEFORE you level up any major skills which is what actually levels your character up. In my opinion playing with a level 1 character the entire time would be extremely boring, just because half the fun in the game is finding better loot and making your character better equipped to handle the increasingly difficult enemies.

If you're looking for it to be easier, just go into the options screen and lower the difficulty to the minimum.

Well going on that then, what is the best way to set up a mage character/ Should I choose major skills I know will be hard to level so I can intentionally focus on them (i.e. not choose acrobatics as simply jumping will easily overlevel me)?

I mean should I choose skills I'll use a lot or a little as major skills? The whole levelling process is still confusing me.

Well going on that then, what is the best way to set up a mage character/ Should I choose major skills I know will be hard to level so I can intentionally focus on them (i.e. not choose acrobatics as simply jumping will easily overlevel me)?

I mean should I choose skills I'll use a lot or a little as major skills? The whole levelling process is still confusing me.

It all depends on the way you play, really. If you're looking to just strictly level up like mad, and you don't care about how you do it, pick skills that go up naturally.

If you want a character that you just want to level up like crazy and don't care how you do it, it's major skills should be...

Acrobatics

Athletics

Blade

Alchemy

Security

Sneak

Alteration

In response to your question though - No. Pick skills you would LIKE to use as major skills, because you will be more tempted to use them because you actually like playing those skills thus making the game fun whilst getting a better character.

You also have to take into factor race. Certain races have certain skills that they are just naturally better at then other races. Example: An Orc has more strength then a High Elf, but a High Elf has plenty more Magicka.

Like I said, it all depends on how you play. If you need any help with creating characters, guilds, quests, anything like that, don't be afraid to ask me. Here's my gamertag: DivineDreams

• 3 months later...

Q. Where is Shum gro-Yarug in Skingrad to buy the house or for the Lost Histories Thieves Guild Quest? I've tried following the markers that seem to show him on the bridge to the castle, but can't find him.

A. The numpty has managed to fall off the bridge and died when you weren't looking. This is a bug, and not fixable (afaik) on the console versions (can be fixed on the PC).

I personally spent ages running round trying to find him before reading up on it and finding out he has a habit of dying.

• 2 months later...

So I got a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but no harm in asking right? Anyways, my question was does a skill with a higher mana (magicka) cost train that spell type/skill faster? Or is it better to spam spells that cost nothing to level that specific magic type? I would assume its to spam low cost spells, as everyone recommends to do that, but I'm just curious if there is a difference in the skill point gain.

Also while I'm confirming things, trainers are just a way to boost your skill points for a given mastery level? Like I can buy a max of 5 light armor points while I'm an Apprentice, but then can only do so again when reaching the next mastery level of say Journeyman? So essentially you're just paying money for 5 skill points, rather than training them the "pew pew" way... correct?

Edited by 13ip0lar

So I got a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but no harm in asking right? Anyways, my question was does a skill with a higher mana (magicka) cost train that spell type/skill faster? Or is it better to spam spells that cost nothing to level that specific magic type? I would assume its to spam low cost spells, as everyone recommends to do that, but I'm just curious if there is a difference in the skill point gain.

Also while I'm confirming things, trainers are just a way to boost your skill points for a given mastery level? Like I can buy a max of 5 light armor points while I'm an Apprentice, but then can only do so again when reaching the next mastery level of say Journeyman? So essentially you're just paying money for 5 skill points, rather than training them the "pew pew" way... correct?

It's better to spam cheap spells, sorry. The xp is per cast, multiple effects have no effect on xp gained.

Trainers have a max number of skill increases each and each character level. Trained skill increases count toward levels gained and toward attribute increases at level gain.