Abomination

I feel i must tell anyone who utterly loved the original Rainbow Island that I was one of the few to be able to get the true ending in the arcade machine back in its original days, that this game is a total abomination and someone at Taito should be shoot for making this rubbish...

After enjoying countless Taito Games over the past 25 years, after buying Bubble Bobble Neo and finding out about no online co-op and then buying this rubbish i have decided that Taito will NEVER in my entire life get another single penny from me.

Just my 2 cents, thank you :)

Edited by MaximDane

I wouldn't call it an abomination, but it's not a patch on the brilliant original arcade version I agree. Why couldn't they just release a enhanced version of that rather than this. I miss not fighting the Dracula Boss and playing the Arkanoid Island and Toy Island levels :(

Respect for completing it on the arcade machine, I only managed to do it in MAME myself.

My one huge problem with this game is the controls. B for Jump button is really pissing me off. I can't get used to it, it does not feel right at all!!

If i recall correctly in order to get the true ending on the arcade machine i had to get all the diamonds in correct order on each of the first 10 islands and then also on the last 3 islands that popped up, and all on 1 Credit. Think the game started with 3 lives and you only got 2 extra lives during the whole game... Took me about 3 years of solid playing until i finally beat it.......To bad i dont have that kind of patience any more :(

Yeah i had the same problem with the Jump button, and it cant me mapped :(

Edited by MaximDane

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I downloaded this thinking "meh" at screenshots thinking I'd get over the cutesy graphics, but no. This game is a very clear victim of the casual gamer plague that is ruining remakes and sequels of games. The game barely plays like the original. I felt betrayed.

Why does it feel the need to explain WHY we need to climb the tower? Also why have they changed it to a crazy mad doctor with a giant drilling machine? Was a flood too offensive or something? Jeez. Why did bubble bobble get a half decent remake and rainbow islands get the shaft? Bubble bobble is great but I liked rainbow islands more :(

Let's hope they don't release and butcher parasol stars. That will wound me for life.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I downloaded this thinking "meh" at screenshots thinking I'd get over the cutesy graphics, but no. This game is a very clear victim of the casual gamer plague that is ruining remakes and sequels of games. The game barely plays like the original. I felt betrayed.

Why does it feel the need to explain WHY we need to climb the tower? Also why have they changed it to a crazy mad doctor with a giant drilling machine? Was a flood too offensive or something? Jeez. Why did bubble bobble get a half decent remake and rainbow islands get the shaft? Bubble bobble is great but I liked rainbow islands more :(

Let's hope they don't release and butcher parasol stars. That will wound me for life.

You have to admit though the core gameplay is rainbow islands. I do agree that it should not hold the RI name, but it isnt a bad title.