The Dragon Age Tips and Tricks Guide.

th3warr1or

CONTENTS (To skip to next section, 'search' the BOLDED keywords)

1) Items to Keep For Quests By Area/quest Hub

2) How to obtain the KEENING BLADE

3) How to obtain Complete "Effort" Armor

4) List of Backpack(Inventory size increase) Locations

5) How to obtain "Ageless" 2H Sword

By Area/quest hub:

Blackstone Irregulars:

*20 health poultices (Denerim quest - Restocking the guild).

Brecilian Forest:

* Book you get for completing "Cammen's Lament" quest (traded in at the Mad Hermit)

* Don't activate Elora's Halla quest w/out high (3+) Survival or Persuade (reward is same for both skills)

*For the quest "Lost to the Curse", if you have high (unsure) Persuade you can trade the scarf the werewolf gives you to the hermit and still complete the quest w/ a reward

*Complete other Dalish Elves quests before turning in "Rare Ironbark" and you can get both items instead of one.

Chanter's Board:

* 18 Gruesome Galls for an extra bonus of a few sovereigns in "Skin Deep". Otherwise, if you just complete the quest(without the 18 extra galls), you only get experience.

Denerim:

*There is an entire quest line of 9 quests that can only be initiated if you are a rogue with the steal ability. I dunno if it's 100% accurate but it appears to be so, I'll fully test it myself when I get home.

*Make sure to pay Wade 10 sovereigns in the Drake scale armor quest. You do not need to pay the second time. 10 Sovereigns is all that is needed. Doing this will allow you to receive the SUPERIOR DRAGONBONE ARMOR for free, without having to pay an additional fee.

Favors for Certain Interested Parties:

*12 love letters you get in various parts of the world for "Correspondence Interruptus"

*15 toxin extracts and 10 Garnets for the "K" Quest line

The Mages' Collective

* 10 Deep Mushrooms for "Herbal Magic"

* 10 of any lyrium potion for "A Gift of Silence"

* 5 Scrolls of Banastor

Origin:

*Complete "The Mabari Hound" before becoming a Grey Warden. If you don't, and you're not a Human Noble, you lose the chance to get a Mabari for the entire playthrough.

Orzammar:

* Don't mention to the shop keeper that you sent his daughter to Circle Tower if you want to buy stuff from him.

* The quest "Exotic Methods" requires Master Herbalism (on anyone), and 4 elfroot, 2 lifestone, a flask, and 2 concentrator agents.

*Don't activate the quest near the exit of Dust Town unless you have 50 gold, because you can get 20 gold profit from completing the quest. With high persuade, you can get 45 gold and a dagger.

Redcliffe

* the quest "Spy!" is time sensitive, meaning that you won't be able to complete it after the events of "Attack at Nightfall". "Spy!" can be started in the Redcliffe Tavern.

KEENING BLADE

To get the Keening Blade longsword, you have to loot certain corpses with some parchments, and once you have all 3, it marks the location of it and you have to go and get it.

This is the location of the 3 parchments(Does NOT need to be in chronological order).

1. Adventurer's corpse in Ruined Temple on the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest in the southwest corridor.

2. Brecilian ruins' Lower Ruins in the south fire trap room.

3. Gotta talk to an adventurer in Orzammar's Tapster's tavern.

4. Finally go to Denerim, go to the dirty back alley, and fight the demon.

Complete "EFFORT" Armor

* Duty (Helmet) - Take Dog as a party member and enter Aeducan Thaig(or any of the Deep Roads), and ask him if he finds anything. With luck, you'll receive this Helmet(I don't know if it's luck, but I got it the first and only time I asked him to search). After that I swapped him back out for another party member. You absolutely MUST have Dog to obtain this piece.

* Effort (Armor) - Picked up off of the Brood Mother after her defeat. (for whatever reason it took like 3 minutes for her to start glittering so i could loot her.)

* Effort's Gloves - Drifter's Cache which is actually in the zone Caridin's Cross. You can't open the cache until you complete the quest to find it though and in order to do so there are four piles of rubble scattered throughout Caridin's Cross that you must find.

There are four piles of rubble(3 actually, one is called a "Runestone") scattered throughout the zone; one at the southwest exit, one southwest of the bridge, one in the center part of the zone and one in the Deepstalker Cave(You'll know you're at the right place when you get attacked by a Deepstalker Matriarch) at the East side of the zone (towards the south).

Interacting with these piles will give you codex updates and after obtaining all 4 codex updates, there will be a "quest" marker pointing out the location of the Drifter's Cache. It contains the Effort gloves as well as a dagger (Thorn of the Dead Gods), a ring (Ring of the warrior - +2dex / str) and a few other items.

* Effort's Boots - Buy them in Dust Town from the merchant "Alimar" for 8 gold.

Backpack(Inventory size increase) Locations

1 Ostagar - Before you become a Grey Warden

2 Ostagar - After you become a Grey Warden

3 Lothering - Use Persuade on the argumentative merchant

4 Party Camp - Bodahn's Wares - first time leaving Lothering

5 Party Camp - Bodahn's Wares - after the Dalish/Werewolves

6 Circle Tower - Quartermaster

7 Dalish Camp - Varathorn’s Goods - After main quest, siding with elves.

8 Denerim Market - From Gorim after the Landsmeet

"Ageless" 2H Sword

You have to go to the Throne Room in Orzammar BEFORE crowning a new King(Bhelen/Harrowmont). You CANNOT obtain the sword after, and you will WANT this sword (personally, the coolest 2H sword ingame, with good stats too).

Step 1: Move your PC to the throne and "activate" it to obtain the quest.

Step 2: Place all your characters on Hold Position.

Step 3: Switch between each character, leaving your PC at the throne, and move them to the three pressure plates in the area. The first two are next to each other, shaped like arrows against the left wall. The third is in the lobby, back through the main doors you should have just came through and in the center of the floor. (You *WILL* hear a "clunk" if you stepped on each pressure plate properly. If you don't, then you're doing it wrongly).

Step 4: When all three plates are depressed by your party members, switch back to your PC and click the throne once more. A dragon will be summoned back near the doors. Take all party members off hold position and move in to kill it. Once the dragon is dead, loot the corpse and collect your powerful new sword.

Edited by th3warr1or

You say to do things but not why, in origins for example, why should I Complete "The Mabari Hound" before becoming a Grey Warden?

Getting this: Duty (Helmet) - If for whatever reason you use your dog in your party as a real character, this will be simple for you. At the Anvil of the Void, in the final room with Caridin, talk to your dog and ask him if he see's anything. He will return with a brand new helmet for you.

What if I don't have the dog, how do I get it then?

As parallax says, you need to elaborate way more.

* Effort (Armor) - Picked up off of the Brood Mother after her defeat. (for whatever reason it took like 3 minutes for her to start glittering so i could loot her.)

The game suffers a memory leak, after playing a while it'll slow down on everything. You just need to save, close your xbox and reload from time to time.

You say to do things but not why, in origins for example, why should I Complete "The Mabari Hound" before becoming a Grey Warden?

Getting this: Duty (Helmet) - If for whatever reason you use your dog in your party as a real character, this will be simple for you. At the Anvil of the Void, in the final room with Caridin, talk to your dog and ask him if he see's anything. He will return with a brand new helmet for you.

What if I don't have the dog, how do I get it then?

As parallax says, you need to elaborate way more.

You can't get it without Dog.

Thanks for the guide :)

some of it I don't have a clue what you are talking about :p

but I would imagine that is because the farthest I have been is the Mage Tower... lol

I am sure this guide will make more sense after I have completed the game a couple of times and know what the heck I am doing...

thanks again.

*For the quest "Lost to the Curse", if you have high (unsure) Persuade you can trade the scarf the werewolf gives you to the hermit and still complete the quest w/ a reward

*Complete other Dalish Elves quests before turning in "Rare Ironbark" and you can get both items instead of one

*Make sure to pay Wade in the drake scale armor quests. Both times. This allows him to make you the SUPERIOR Dragonbone armor for free.

*Complete "The Mabari Hound" before becoming a Grey Warden. If you don't, and you're not a Human Noble, you lose the chance to get a Mabari for the entire playthrough.

* Don't mention to the shop keeper that you sent his daughter to Circle Tower if you want to buy stuff from him.

*Don't activate the quest near the exit of Dust Town unless you have 50 gold, because you can get 20 gold profit from completing the quest. With high persuade, you can get 45 gold and a dagger.

* the quest "Spy!" is time sensitive. Complete it before completing Castle Redcliffe. It's unavailable after wards.

These ones are good, you list the quest, what you have to do, why and what reward you get. If they were all like this this thread would be 5*.

* 18 Gruesome Galls for an extra bonus in "Skin Deep"

* The quest "Exotic Methods" requires Master Herbalism (on anyone), and 4 elfroot, 2 lifestone, a flask, and 2 concentrator agents.

* 10 Deep Mushrooms for "Herbal Magic"

* 10 of any lyrium potion for "A Gift of Silence"

* 5 Scrolls of Banastor

*12 love letters you get in various parts of the world for "Correspondence Interruptus"

*15 toxin extracts and 10 Garnets for the "K" Quest line

*20 health poultices (Denerim quest)

* Book you get for completing "Cammen's Lament" quest (traded in at the Mad Hermit)

These you just list items or such. Make it idiot-proof. Why do you need these items? Do they extend the quest or fulfil extra criteria? Does doing this get you alternative/extra rewards? I can help if you like, but as you discovered them, it would be easier for you to add in the missing details.

For 18 grusome galls, what do you get extra. Extra detail is always good.

I am actually in the midst of completing those "properly", hence the vague stuff lol. I don't know what it does yet, but it's just like an early 'warning' to people in case they were planning on tossing those items.

It will be updated as I go along. Some will take me multiple playthroughs, such as the "9 Quests in Denerim that can only be activated by characters with Steal" as I'm currently playing a Warrior.

Brecilian Forest:

I am at this part now, and am wondering if I need the Helmet at a later date?

Also since you need the book to trade for the accorn. and the scarf for the helmet.

He will also trade a book "Archons of the Imperium: Volume 1 (codex)" that will be in your 'other' section of your inventory. But he wants a ring "Dusk Ring: +3 cunning, -1 strength"

I think that ring is part of a set, isn't it?? And killing him does not get any of the 'trade' items except for the accorn. So if I want all 3 items, trade the scarf and book, and kill him for the accorn???

Edited by Ionus

I have the Dog in my party while in the deep roads, I've tried in every area but I don't see a "Search" When I talk to the dog. How can I get him to search for the Duty Helm?

It doesn't exactly say "Search". In my case, I named my dog Sam. So it said "What is it Sam, do you see anything?". It's generally the first option.

This is looking awesome now, thanks.

If I come across anything, i'll post it here.

Yeah that would be appreciated too, and i'll update it in.

I got the quest, got the flower, but then the kennel guy told me to come back after the battle. WTF? How do I get the dog then?

Well for starters continue the game for awhile.. I don't want to spoil everything.. I mean I could put the entire sequence of what happens there, but that defeats the purpose. Don't worry, it's not something you can miss.

How about some more detailed information? (use spoiler tags if you dont want to spoil anything for others :))

Brecilian Forest:

*Complete other Dalish Elves quests before turning in "Rare Ironbark" and you can get both items instead of one.

Which other quests? what both items?

Denerim:

*There is an entire quest line of 9 quests that can only be initiated if you are a rogue with the steal ability. I dunno if it's 100% accurate but it appears to be so, I'll fully test it myself when I get home.

Where are these started?

* the quest "Spy!" is time sensitive, meaning that you won't be able to complete it after the events of "Attack at Nightfall". "Spy!" can be started in the Redcliffe Tavern.

I believe I skipped this whole quest simply because I had leliana in my group - I talked to him first and she told me he was a spy.

Backpack(Inventory size increase) Locations

3 Lothering - Use Persuade on the argumentative merchant

5 Party Camp - Bodahn's Wares - after the Dalish/Werewolves

3 - Persuade just keeps the merchant there and drops prices for refugee's I believe you can ignore that quest and buy it right away.

5 - 2nd backpack appears after leaving and returning, you dont have to finish a quest.