How many of you can actually finish Shock and Awe (Extreme)?

HamKet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me this was by far the hardest combat challenge to complete and like many others I was either finishing all four rounds with sub 30K or racking up +30K only to fail finishing within the time on round 4.

Was chuffed when I finally did it with a score just over 30K. Will I play it again to improve my score?............not a f**king chance!!!!!

I have finished the level a couple times, but keep falling short of the 30k. It's kind of my fault, for not being overly consistent. I have trouble with the last stage, just killing everyone quickly enough. Too many stun batons even with takedowns and not enough critical strikes. I'll keep practicing, because there is notable improvement, but I've been plugging away for nearly a week now... Yikes.

This is the only one that gave me a challenge and like everyone else, it wasn't a matter of score, it's killing all the dudes on round 4 before time is up. I finally did it on my 5th try though and ended with a score of ~48,000.

What I finally did was ignore score entirely on the 4th round and just focused on eliminating them as quickly as possible, so in reality I only used the first 3 levels to gain the necessary score to complete the challenge.

My advice is to always to let the first level be your cushion level, there aren't many enemies and it's a good opportunity to use at least 6-7 of his moves for variation and to keep your combo going before you start using the "ground pound" for the big points. My best on the first round is 18,000, however on my 5th try I only had ~15,500. That's a great cushion for 1 round and you should be able to get another 10,000 to 15,000 before round 4. Round 4 will just put you over the top. Hope that helps anyone.

Cheers

I fucking knew if I posted here about how gimped I was at this level, I'd turn around and whip the silly shit out of it. The trick for me was on the 4th Stage to pick out the weaker guys and start building a combo off them. Once you have a combo going, then you can start taking down the tougher guys. Ignore the stun baton guys, as they can go down during your liberal use of the batarang.

Well after alot of tries, frustrations and patience I finally beat this challenge with the 3 medals, I had almost the same problems that everybody here had, I had 30+ points and I ended up losing to the timer in the last round.

It feels good to finally beat this challenge, now I am only missing Ritje so get my 1000/1000.

I saved this challenge for last and right now I'm starting to wonder why I did that. It was easier than Sewer Rats (Extreme). A lot easier. I screwed up the 1st/2nd round on my 1st/2nd try. On my 3rd try I ran out of time and on my 4th try I JUST killed the last guy as the electricity was going to come on. It wasn't hard or frustrating at all. Now sewer rats was a pain in the ass. It took me about half an hour of trying before I finally got it. I think I hit 50k twice while going for sewer rats, but I ended up dying by a gun because there was simply too many people on screen.

I'm happy to say I now have a full 1000 in this game. It was probably the most fun 1000 on my list so far.

took me a while but got it.

After practice I only had difficulty with round 4.

Round 1 is easy to get a freeflow, 20+ combo with ground pounds at the end to get you well over 15k in the first round.

Round 2 I batclaw, evade batclaw again to get all the guys down before working my combo.

Round 3 a bit harder but not too bad

Round 4 - hard due to the volume of people. just kept working a combo them throwing people over the side and repeat that

• 2 years later...

SO, THE "SHOCK AND AWE" IM READING ABOUT HERE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOCK N AWE CAMPAIGN FROM THE WAR IN IRAQ? WHAT THE F*** ARE THOSE FAMOUS WORDS DOING IN A BATMAN GAME! I JUST DONT GET IT! I JUST CANT GET OVER IT! IM SORRY BUT THATS JUST.....WRONG (to me)! I read somewhere many many years ago that sony bought the name SHOCK N AWE, but I may have misread it or.....something went somewhere fast.

Edited by itrustno1

Shock and awe extreme was the very last thing I completed in arkham asylum, but didn't turn out to be as bad as I feared - partly because I had way too much practice on normal shock and awe. Some things that really helped me:

• I never could get perfect knight, but I got quite good at variation bonuses, which really help if you can get 7 or more in one combo each round
  • i found that using the quickfire bat claw to pull guys off the fence going for the gun case really helped. If they get up to the next level, don't chase them - keep building your combo and wait for them to jump down. Yes, you'll have to keep vigilant about hitting anyone picking up the gun, but just keep that combo going
  • target knife wielding thugs for early instant takedowns. After the knife guys are gone, if there are just too many thugs, use some more instant takedowns to thin the herd
  • when guys with shock bars are far enough away, a bat claw + evade will generally flip you safely over them, push them to the ground and make them drop the shock bar

The last thing I'll say is that I started resetting when I didn't pull off a solid (~10k) first round - it is easier that the other rounds by far to push your luck for a single combo with no damage and a good variety bonus

Finally....It took many hours. I found a great video on YouTube that showed a style that worked for me. I watched many videos and most resembled a mastery of chaos beyond my skill set. Check out the link below it became my blueprint for success. Probably one of the most difficult experiences I have come across in many years of playing games but also quite rewarding when finished.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKiMeC_MVWI]Batman Arkham Asylum - Shock and Awe Extreme Combat Challenge - YouTube[/ame]

I wasn't perfect like the video but you don't have to be. The key for me was batarang usage at the end of the rounds to make maximum use of the "ground and pound."

Good luck to anyone still playing this incredible game!

Also I forgot to mention at the beginning of round four I used the batclaw three or so times to get the shock sticks out of the baddies hands and then went to work. The maker of the video above didn't need to do that but for me it made the round four task much easier.

Edited by otisH22

I finished all the challenge maps on AA. I would suggest if you are having problems with one map (as in tried more than 2 or 3 times in a row), take a break for a day or two and then try it again.

There were many instances where I would try 6 or 7 times on one challenge map and never get it. Put it down and pick up up the next day and beat it on the first try.

Shock and Awe extreme sucks. It is doable even with the time limit. You need to really concentrate on getting about x15 and using the B, Y takedown on the guys with the electric rods.

• 1 month later...

I agree 100% with the putting it down. I went though the combat challenges over a few days. Each day I would get stuck, go to bed, wake up, and do better.

For me, if I didn't have an amazing first round I would just restart. Must have hit restart 50 times on shock and awe extreme and just as many on rumble in the jungle extreme.

The time I finally got rumble, was a flawless 1st round (worth 28k points to me). From then on out, just finish and you get it.

If your struggling on points master how to do at least an 8 variant combo (worth 3.5k points) or a 9 variant worth 5k. That's 14-20k over the 4 rounds if you can get them in.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally i got this Challenge, its not to hard when you understand the Combat System.

At Start of all Challenges i was a "button Smasher" after several Trys i learn and understand the Combat System and beat this Challenge in 20-30 Trys.

1000GS, very Good Game. THX Square Enix and Co

regards

on sewer bat extreme, pay attention to who has what weps and counter accordingly, I also found it easier to just fight near the weapons boxes, and to quick baterang and claw when you can, also if you can throw an opponent into people near the boxes it helps immensely.