Any other games like this?

SpinelesS

nope

the only thing tactical I remember that was not re-release of old stuff in so called HD was a tactical RPG I forget the name. It was nothing special.

If you want to play good tactics games get a PC loaded with dosbox and PS1 emulators. Even then there are not that many good tactics games.

nope

the only thing tactical I remember that was not re-release of old stuff in so called HD was a tactical RPG I forget the name. It was nothing special.

If you want to play good tactics games get a PC loaded with dosbox and PS1 emulators. Even then there are not that many good tactics games.

If I wanted to play turn based strategy games on my PC, I would just get the old XCOM and Jagged Alliance games (why would I play playstation 1 games on my pc?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom Clancy's Endwar? It was a RTS as opposed to the TBS you see in Xcom.

You'll find alot of these types of games on PC and like someone else pointed out, get STEAM and d/l the Jagged Alliance and Xcom original series for real cheap(I got all 5 xcom games for about 13$ and JA for like 6$) Both are extremely good imo.

I played EndWar. As you said, it is an RTS. That genre has really struggled to be done well on the 360 platform. In any event, I still enjoyed it.

As for the games on Steam and the PC... I used to play exclusively on the PC up until 4-5 years ago when I got indoctrinated into the awesomeness of the 360. Now, it's pretty much all I'll play games on.

1994 XCOM, in some terms it's better than this game, because it has more to offer. Like being able to ambush aliens, use silencers and different ammo types with different effects against certain enemies.

If you really want to play something similar, then try the 1994 XCOM game, sure the graphics are old as fuck, but who cares, when the game is really deep and inovative. Way ahead of it's time, if you ask me. It's also regarded as the BEST PC game of all time, right next to Deus Ex 1.

• 2 weeks later...

There are unfortunately only a handful of turn-based tactics games on the 360, and most are lacking the resource management aspects. Usually they're called strategy RPGS (SRPGs, TRPGs). I'm a sucker for them, though, and try to 1K any that I find. There are quite a bit out there, though, if you don't mind playing other consoles or PC games. Some of the best are on previous generation consoles and fairly cheap.

What I would consider in this (loosely based) genre for 360:

X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Civilization Revolution (This is the only one with resource management, really.)

Spectral Force 2

Zoids Assault

Operation Darkness (I thoroughly enjoyed this game despite the reviews)

Record of Agarest War (Also greatly enjoyed both Agarest games)

Record of Agarest War Zero: Dawn of War

Enchanted Arms (bit of a stretch, more of an RPG, but it has grid-based tactical combat)

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement (XBLA)

Band of Bugs (XBLA)

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (XBLA, bit of a stretch, but a great game)

Commanders: Attack!

Omerta: City of Gangsters

History Legends of War: Patton

Skulls of the Shogun

I've also been recommended "Battle vs. Chess", "Military Madness Nectaris", "Blood Bowl" and "Panzer General: Allied Assault" when asking about these types of games, but I haven't tried them yet. There are a few NTSCJ games, too, that I haven't had the ability to play. (Absolute: Blazing Infinity, Apocalypse: Desire Next, Cross Edge Dash, Diario: Reverse Moon Legend, and Super Robot Taisen XO)

If you're up for PC games I would recommend trying the older XCOM games and the Heroes of Might and Magic series (the 3rd entry being my highest recommended).

On this note, if anyone could recommend me any of this "style" of game for the 360 that I haven't mentioned above I would be much indebted. I don't follow gaming news and only due the occasional research so I tend to miss out on new releases until months later (I just learned XCOM was out :X). I never really played an RTS, but if anyone has a good "beginner" one to recommend I would be interested in trying it out as a doorway to the genre.

Edited by eohjay
Updating list

Eohjay named all of them for 360. However Disgea and Phantom Brave are great for ps2, and of course FF tactics and others for ps1.

There is a game you may like for original xbox that is different but has similar qualities. Dai Senryaku VII is great but the computer ai is kind of easy. The best way to play is to set up a second tv and have it face the corner and play couch multiplayer so other people cant see your turns.

Something that might be worth a look is "Omerta" - it's a TBS game in times of the prohibition and afaik it'll be released at the end of january.

Achievements seem to be quite silly to be honest (hit a 5% shot and miss 95% shot AND MP chievos *sigh*), but well, when you really look for TBS games... there aren't many alternatives...

Edit: Link to chievo list:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/omerta-city-of-gangsters/achievements/

Something that might be worth a look is "Omerta" - it's a TBS game in times of the prohibition and afaik it'll be released at the end of january.

Achievements seem to be quite silly to be honest (hit a 5% shot and miss 95% shot AND MP chievos *sigh*), but well, when you really look for TBS games... there aren't many alternatives...

Edit: Link to chievo list:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/omerta-city-of-gangsters/achievements/

Oh man, thanks for that! I'm definitely going to pick it up.