Poll/Anyone Else Annoyed?

retroboy

Your opinion on dlc episodic games  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on dlc episodic games

• I wait until they are discounted
    • If I like them I buy them straight away

Hey there,

Anyone else annoyed that this is episodic:mad:? To me all this means is that I will wait until the episodes are bundled together (hopefully on a disc).

I really do not like episodic gaming when they are downloadable. It means a rather long and sometimes permanent price fixture, having to wait ages between games and it just breaks up the experience too much for me.

I love Sonic but will probably wait even longer now.

Episodic games are nothing short of pointless ripoffs. The episodes are always priced the same as or higher than the $10-$15 games you can get on WiiWare, Xbox Live Arcade, and Playstation Network, and yet the episodes are shorter than most of those games. What makes the developers of games think any of us want them to continue with such a stupid sales model?

Although, for this game, it doesn't matter anyway. It's a Sonic game, which is an instant "no buy" anyway, even if they sold the entire thing for a dollar. Not even that dude in the Robocop movie would buy this for a dollar, because SEGA has proven time and time again that they can't make a good Sonic game anymore.

As for the included poll, I didn't vote as neither option seems to accurately represent my thoughts that episodic content is absolutely stupid.

Obviously it depends how much each episode costs as to whether I'll get them straight away. The "leaked" screenshot showing 400msp per episode makes it quite cheap really for a "new" game. If both episodes come to 800msp in the end when there is utter tripe for the same cost (Kriss-X anybody?) then that's ok in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Episodic games are nothing short of pointless ripoffs. The episodes are always priced the same as or higher than the $10-$15 games you can get on WiiWare, Xbox Live Arcade, and Playstation Network, and yet the episodes are shorter than most of those games. What makes the developers of games think any of us want them to continue with such a stupid sales model?

Although, for this game, it doesn't matter anyway. It's a Sonic game, which is an instant "no buy" anyway, even if they sold the entire thing for a dollar. Not even that dude in the Robocop movie would buy this for a dollar, because SEGA has proven time and time again that they can't make a good Sonic game anymore.

As for the included poll, I didn't vote as neither option seems to accurately represent my thoughts that episodic content is absolutely stupid.

Uhh, excuse me? I'm confused. Are you saying that you were perfectly okay with Sonic 3 being split into two separate games and having to pay $120 at release, or $8 for a less functional version on the arcade but you're not okay with having to pay $4-8 dollars for episodes, which are shorter, but fully functional games on their own?

Plus if I'm not mistaken, Sonic 3(part 1) had what, 6 zones, not including Special Stages? And Sonic 4: Episode 1 is nearly confirmed to have at least FIVE. For a fraction of the price Sonic 3 was new.

I've been following news on Sonic 4 for quite a while now, and I have to say that it's looking like Sega remembered how to make a good Sonic game again. Here's hoping folks. Also to answer the poll, I'm not annoyed in the slightest by it being episodic. I mean, in all reality, it's not much different than Sonic 3, as I've stated. xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You'd be surprised, don't forget the Namco Museum: Virtual Arcade has managed to pack about 6-8 of their arcade games on 1 disc for a relatively cheap price.

I'm a sucker for Sonic games and most Sega games in general, plus it hasn't stopped me from buying WiiWare games when I got the Monkey Island that were episodic, so I doubt my mind is gonna change for the Sonic 4 episodic games when it hopefully gets released on XBLA.

• 4 weeks later...

An arcade release probably wouldnt get the disc treatment, as it would then be classified as a retail game.

Actually, the arcade game Watchmen: The End is Nigh had two parts both on Game marketplace but in stores their is infact a disk version named Watchmen: The End is Nigh parts 1 and 2, and its basicly a disked version of them both, the disk actually works out cheaper then buying the points to purchase both parts.

With it being a big franchise such as Sonic and being the hype for this game i would conclude that its propable for a disk release although im not saying this will be instantly after the episodes probly a while after to suck up some money.

Gareth Dent

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...