Thought id give it a go despite awful reviews...

WhiskyJim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the games pretty good. I played if for ages when I first got it I played it none stop, then I had a bit of a break for Fifa&MW3. Decided to pick it back up last night and played it for hours :)

Yes its a little linear, the graphics are a bit crazy and the physics aren't all that but its still fun - isn't that what gamings about?

Reviews are written by corporations and by people who know nothing about games or the true purposes of games such as DNF. I am my own reviewer. I never turn down a game, movie, or anything because of what SOMEONE ELSE says about it.

They don't know a good game from a bad one. They base their opinions too much off graphics and expectations.

I base mine off "what the game is" and "how FUN is it?"

Had DNF come out in 2004-2005, it would've fared loads better. Despite a lot of its "polish" feeling out of date, it still delivered what was on the cover: Duke.

"All Hail to the King, Baby!"

This is EXACTLY my main point.

The expectation of the game, by taking so long to come out, was raised WAY past its should-have-been expectation. Like you said, if it had came out back at that point, it would have gotten WAY better reviews and wouldn't be treated shit by those who don't understand this concept.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand how this game received so much shit. Sure, it doesn't live up to the hype, but so what? I'm having a lot more fun with this game than I did Rage or any of the Halo games (Combat Evolved miiiiiiiiiiiiight be an exception to that though.)

Sure the story isn't awesome-beyond-belief. It's direct and cheesy with its one-liners, but yeah. That's Duke for ya people. The President at the beginning of the game puts it well. "You're a relic, Duke." And that's exactly what he is. A relic, a reminder of the good ol' past.

I've been flip floping on my impressions of the game. I'm nearing the end of my 2nd playthrough this time on Insane so I guess I have put in enough hours to form my final impression.

Overall I would give it a 5/10. I'd pick it up in a bargin bin.

My main gripes with the game would be that the loading time is really annoying especially when playing on Insane. 40 secs (I timed it) is just too much after dying. The rest can be summarised as an average shooter with some funny one liners which become a bit boring after you've heard them all.

If your a duke nukem fan you will probably enjoy one playthrough.

If your going for all achievements then some of them are plain annoying. The two pinball achievements are annoying, sinking all balls on the pool table for an ego boost was very frustrating for me. I think the longer you play the game the more you hate it. I hope to wrap it up today and then it will never see my console again.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest beef with this game is the fact that, sure it doesn't live up to the hype, it's not the most polished, doesn't have the best graphics, etc, but for some reason, the play areas take longer to load (even installed to the hd) than most games with far superior graphics. For me, especially playing in harder modes where you die pretty regularly, the load times drive me crazy.

If one can get past that major flaw, the game isn't that bad. I think having played the old Duke 3D helps with appreciating it's particular brand of humour though.

• 1 month later...

I went into the game with the mindset of "Hail to the King, Baby!" and was not disappointed. I didn't expect much and got exactly what I wanted.

I think people coming into this game expecting it to be the next big thing are doing so specifically so they can hate on it later and feel justified. There was pretty much no way this game was going to be groundbreaking given it's history, and I don't recall the game being advertised as such.

The game is simply a fun shooter that reminds us of old school FPS games with a few tweaks that came with modern FPS games. Personally I like the older games better, so this was right up my alley.

I went into the game with the mindset of "Hail to the King, Baby!" and was not disappointed. I didn't expect much and got exactly what I wanted.

I think people coming into this game expecting it to be the next big thing are doing so specifically so they can hate on it later and feel justified. There was pretty much no way this game was going to be groundbreaking given it's history, and I don't recall the game being advertised as such.

The game is simply a fun shooter that reminds us of old school FPS games with a few tweaks that came with modern FPS games. Personally I like the older games better, so this was right up my alley.

Finally, somebody who knows what the game is about. So many haters that don't understand this.

Okay, this game certainly has its faults. More than a few of them. I don't think the graphics were terrible, they weren't stellar either. I think they got the job done. The most annoying thing was the texture pop-in that happened pretty regularly when loading up an area. The loading times were pretty bad too, but when I compare time spent looking at a loading screen between this and Skyrim, Skyrim was atrocious with the amount of loading that went on. By comparison, the loading times for Duke Nukem Forever were a breeze. And unlike Skyrim, DNF never just locked up or crashed on me. And yeah, it is kind of a throwback to the old school theory of first person shooters, the game assumes you know how to move behind something when you're getting shot at, unlike most cover-based shooters that have you making out with a section of wall for extended periods of time. And no, you shouldn't have to play all or any previous games in a series, any series to be able to enjoy a game. A game can, and should, be able to stand on it's own. If it can't, then it should be an expansion pack, and priced accordingly. But I suppose that's just my opinion. I suppose the biggest thing is the sense of humor. It's incredibly crude. It's not trying to anything else. I mean, they state it on the game case. Oh, and in regard to Halo not being fun or funny, I disagree. There is humor to be found in Halo, but it's a bit more subtle. Halo isn't about trying to split your sides with humor. Example, its the mild sense of humor that the Chief displays when Cortana asks about the Chief's escape plan, and he replies "Thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little." Whereas Duke's sense of humor is more along the line of slapping a pair of alien boobs on the wall and saying "Need an exam ladies?" Different sense of humor between the two games, and I can appreciate both. But yeah, this game has faults. A lot of them. Mostly in the technical department. Though they were never enough to prevent me from enjoying the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Dent is right man, I mean, I've only played the demo to Duke Nukem 3D, but I could tell that it was the kind of game I would love, and I love Duke Nukem Forever. The game isn't meant to be some sort of "destroy all the competiton" game, it's a Duke Game, crude humor, suggestive themes, and the ability to do some stuff that no one would think of doing i.e.picking up the shit in the toilets. are all just part of the magic. Put on top of that a character that makes most recent game hero's look like emo kids, and you've got a game that's pretty damn good...maybe it's just cause I only had an N64 until about the 7th or 8th grade, and only then started getting the PS2s and stuff that my friends had, but I have more respect for effort I guess for legacies I guess. You don't like the game, then don't play it, and don't bitch to those of us that do like it, simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue this game truly had was that it was being developed by slow ass developers that obviously had time management issues. The game itself, although it had it's flaws, was still a superb product. Like was said before, if this had come out in 2004 alongside the FPS fest Halo 2, Half-Life 2, and DOOM 3, I think it would've done decently well against the competition. 3DRealms, however, continually kept starting over, scrapping large amounts of progress, and starting fresh for no reason at all. So this gem kept getting held longer and longer and eventually by time they neared completion the game was outdated, the funding was dried up, and there was nothing they could do about it.

There's no excuse for this. Other development teams don't just scrap 99% of the game assets because it's a little outdated. They build the game to keep up with current titles and aim to get it out on shelves ASAP. If every game insisted on doing what 3DR did, we'd never see any games get released because all games are inevitably outdated in one way or another at launch.

Personally if they'd have stuck with 2001 Demo build and pushed for a 2004-2005 launch date, I would've been perfectly okay. Hell, if the game was as awesome as the 2001 trailer let on, I would've been okay with graphics like that for a 360 launch title. But everything here was dated and that made the game suffer in the long run (That and I was disappointed not to see more new weapons. I would've thought with games like Painkiller and Serious Sam out there, DNF would've embraced the wacky big guns policy a little more.)

I myself, liked DNF. Sure it wasn't the greatest game, but if your like me, a duke fan. You've enjoyed this game. If I had to give a review for this game. I would give it around 6.5-7. I'd say more 7. Yeah I'll admit that I paid full price when it came out. Do I regret it? No, not at all. When I did my first playthrough hard I really enjoyed it. The humor was great, I had quite a few good laughs playing this game. That's how I remembered duke and I'm glad they didn't change duke. Only thing that was annoying with the game was the turret parts. Overall the game was simple and not that hard. Hate all you want about duke. The king lives!! Hail to the fucking king

I myself, liked DNF. Sure it wasn't the greatest game, but if your like me, a duke fan. You've enjoyed this game. If I had to give a review for this game. I would give it around 6.5-7. I'd say more 7. Yeah I'll admit that I paid full price when it came out. Do I regret it? No, not at all. When I did my first playthrough hard I really enjoyed it. The humor was great, I had quite a few good laughs playing this game. That's how I remembered duke and I'm glad they didn't change duke. Only thing that was annoying with the game was the turret parts. Overall the game was simple and not that hard. Hate all you want about duke. The king lives!! Hail to the fucking king

Amen to that. I would agree with everything you said.

So glad I got the BoS Edition, I even have a display case for it and everything. I'll take a pic and show you guys just how much of a Duke fan I am, lol.

Amen to that. I would agree with everything you said.

So glad I got the BoS Edition, I even have a display case for it and everything. I'll take a pic and show you guys just how much of a Duke fan I am, lol.

To me I dont care what anyone says about the game. Yeah it got mixed reviews and people are not buying the game because they take some person's impression of the game than actually trying it for themselves. I know people who have played the older duke games but they wont play forever. Just because everyone says it "sucked". I cant wait for the next one, and YES there will be another duke whether people like it or not. I have faith in Gearbox. Nevander I was tempted to buy the BoS editon, but decided to skip it. You can still find them brand new in gaming stores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for some strange reason i saw all of the reviews and yet i still got it and i thought it was pretty good. It should have been alot better but still had fun playing it so i dont understand why everyone hates it so much its fine to me, yes the graphics could have been better and the weapons should have felt more realistic but besides that i liked it.

• 1 month later...
Wow, your so intelligent, i aspire to be like you with your witty remarks and great intellect, stop being a bitchy little internet warrior you trollish piece of shit and to quote a dipshit... "fuck you".

I love the "your so intelligent" kinda funny as it should be "you're so intelligent" :) also the I should be capitalized but I'm not judging ;).

Just picked this up for £5, so I'm looking forward to seeing how bad it truly is.