Vigils Guide

L0cke89

Vigils Guide

This guide will help you completing all 23 vigils in the game. You can wait right till the end to do them, but I advise you to complete those quests as soon as you can.

When you get your fourth shard, you can build the memorial in the bastion. This will unlock the first 12 vigils. After you upgraded the memorial later in the story and undlock all 11 weapons, you'll have all 23 of them. After you've done one of them, you need to visit the memorial and click on the vigil (It will have a red star on the paper) to get your reward.

Thanks goes out to 13ip0lar for providing information on some of the vigils!

1. The Valediction

Construct a Memorial to Caelondia.

Can't be missed. You need to build the memorial in order to unlock the vigils. Just click on the paper (Will have a red star on it) to get your first reward.

2. The Dynasty

Earn First Prize in seven Proving Grounds.

This is the only vigil I consider kinda hard. After you unlock a weapon, you can find the respective Proving Ground on the map. In order for it to count, you have to get first place. Most weapons require to be upgraded before you can even attempt to do this. Luckily, you only have to do 7 out of 11. So I will list the seven (okay, eight) I did, which I found to be the easiest.

Breaker Barracks (Breaker's Bow): You need to upgrade your bow so that it can kill the foes in one shot. Only then can you kill all of them in 5 shots. Just shoot the four lines and then shot the one below you. To help your aim, lock onto the last one in a row and slowly go backwards behind the first one. This way you are sure to hit every target.

Joebeest86's method:

You can also do it the first time around without any upgrades. When you load your shot, wait for the character to blink to fire a powershot. But you have to do it five times in a row. If you don't manage to do that, just upgrade the weapon and come back later.

Trapper Shingle (Fang Repeater): It may be possible to do this right from the start, but it would be stupid not to upgrade your weapon first. Just run through the course and stop between every four targets. Unload your weapon and quickly move on (Use the roll). If you kill all the targets near you and still have a few bullets left hit :rs: to reload and roll while doing it to spare time. You'll have to hit ALL targets for the first price. This may be a little hard at first, but will get very easy after upgrading and knowing where the targets are.

Zulwood Grove (Scrap Musket): Okay, this one sure has multiple ways to do it. I like to start at the top and divide the targets into two groups. Shoot the one to the left side and the other one to the right. Just make sure that you get as close as you can to maximize the damage while still getting as many target at once. It's a little bit trial and error but not really hard.

The Scrap Yard (Cael Hammer): The trick to this one is to use the roll a lot. This will also kill boxes and small objects. Only break the medium ones with the hammer and leave the biggest objects. There are more than 100 on the map. This one also needs a few minutes to get the rhythm down.

Bullhead Courl (Bullhead Shield): The hardest of this eight (I only included it, because I got it). You need to kill all the foes only with the counter attack while only getting hit twice. Play this one a few times to know when to block each enemy. It's all about timing.

Stevolutionary's method:

A good bit of advice for the Bullhorn test is to not counter the final enemy, but instead act like a matador and get him to suicide off the edge of the level, as otherwise the blue slime he leaves can hit you even with a successful counter.

Slinger Range (Dueling Pistols): This one needs a few upgrades. You need speed and damage to kill the targets as quick as possible. There are 10 of them and you need 75 points from each to reach 750. After some training and upgrading I was able to achieve 780. So it's possible. You just need to react quick and press :xbut: as fast as you can while moving towards the target.

Stevolutionary's method:

Easy way to do the duelling pistols is to use the tonic that gives you criticals at 33% health. Walk off the platforms until it activates and then your shots will be doubly powerful thus saving you time.

Trigger Hill (Army Carbine): Easy. Got it on my first try. Just lock onto the target as soon as it appears, wait for the shot to line up and bam! You don't need to kill multiple enemies at once. Just one by one.

Boundless Bay (Galleon Mortar): This may be the easiest of them all. Just wait for the enemies to move in one direction, wait there and start to line up. You don't need to hit every single one.

3. The Culture

Discover at least 15 mementos.

Search the areas for new memenots. They aren't very well hidden. Or you can just buy the rest from Lost & Found.

4.The Service

Learn at least 20 secret skills.

Once again, you can buy them from the Lost & Found or from getting first place in the Procing Grounds. Since you alraedy need to do 7 of them and can buy the rest, this shouldn't be a problem.

5. The Country

Restore 13,000 pieces of land.

It seems to be that New Game + counts. Still it's easy to do it on your first run. I got about 15,000. Just search for hidden objects for the other vigils and this will come in no time.

6. The Mercy

Defeat 15 different foes.

This means the different types. Just play normally through the game and you will get it. Don't worry about this one. All enemies will attack you dozens of times so it would be hard to miss.

7. The Masons

(Cael Hammer) Deal 70 damage with one blow to a single foe.

This is the last one I got. Just make sure to upgrade the hammer as much as you can and choose tonics that let you do more damage.

8. The Breakers

(Breaker's Bow) Defeat 3 fos with one shot.

Wait till you get to an area with all the little black foes that spawn from the popcorn(?) machine. Upgrade the weapon and it makes it even easier. Go to the first Who Knows Where to find them.

9. The Trappers

(Fang Repeater) Defeat a foe with the last bullet.

Shoot every bullet until only one is left and nearly kill a big enemy with your other weapon. When he only has 1-3 health points left, shoot him with the last bullets.

10. The Menders

(Bullhead Shield) Defeat a foe with a counter under 20% health.

You can do this in one of the Who Knows Where. To get the monster under 20%, just do it on a huge foe and slowly deal damage to him. When he has only a few bars left, just wait for the attack and block with :ltbut: at the right moment to counter.

11. The Gravers

(War Machete) Achieve 15 hits in a row without getting hurt.

Got this without even thinking about it. Try the Proving Ground, run to a mass of foes and slash away.

12. The Marshals

(Scrap Musket) Defeat 10 foes at once.

Upgrade the weapon and go to the first Who Knows Where. Wait for the black little enemies to appear and let them gather in one spot. Then just go as close as possible and fire.

13. The Slingers

(Dueling Pistols) Achieve 12 hits in a row.

Go to the first Who Knows Where area and wait for the big blue blobs to drop. Just use block to stun him and unload the clip as fast as you can. He's so big that you're sure to hit every shot.

14. The Brushers

(Brusher's Pike) Throw the stab and a foe and hit it with a normal blow.

You can do this right after you find the pike on the frog type enemy. Just throw the staff and then hit him normally.

15. The Triggers

(Army Carbine) Get a kill at a very long distance

For this you should upgrade to get more precision. Find a group of weak foes and keep a good distance so that they won't follow you. Now lock on and move away from them. When the Kid loses sight, move towards them a few pixels until you can lock on again. Then shoot. It may take a few tries but this method workes fine for me. The reason to have more enemies is simple. You have a better chance at hitting anything.

16. The Cinders

(Flame Bellows) Defeat 20 foes with one blow.

Do this on the Proving Ground in the third area. There are more than enough enemies concentrated at this point.

17. The Skippers

(Galleon Mortar) Deal 999 damage with one shot.

Go to the proving ground. This can be done right after you aquire the weapon. Got this on my first shot.

18. The Mancers

(Calamity Cannon) defeat 5 foes with a single shell.

Again, go to the first Who Knows Where and wait for the little black enemies to appear. Easy to get.

19. The Inspiration

Upgrade 5 weapons to level 3.

Find, buy or win the upgrades and then pay in the Forge to upgrade 5 weapons 3 times.

20. The City

Spend 10.000.

While going for the other vigils you will earn more than 10.000 without trouble. Then just spend it.

21. The Conscience

Reach level 5.

Really? You need help on this one? Whoa, just sell your Xbox and buy a new toaster.

Little tip: Defeat enemies to gain exp. And do the Who Knows Where arenas. If you somehow managed to sill be under level 5 by the end of the game, do it in New Game + or activate some gods to boost your exp bonus.

22. The Sanctuary

Build and upgrade all 6 buildings.

Story related and not be missed.

23. The Faith

Complete a trip to Who Knows Where with at least 1 god activated.

Activate Roathus after you've bought it from the Lost & Found. Foes will no longer left tonics behind. But since they don't do this in Who Knows Where anyway, that's a free pass. Or you can just do any other. Really, the game is easy enough.

Edited by L0cke89

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The War Machete is get 15 hits in a row, without missing. Basically gotta find a mob that can take the hits and won't hit you. I believe I got this via one of those large onion like flowers that spew out poisonous gas.

The Dueling Pistols is similar to the machete, in you have to get 12 hits without missing, which is the stock capacity of the pistols without upgrades.

For the Army Carbine you need to get kill at long range. Basically, I would say from one side of the screen to the other. I got mine by killing something off screen, but I would imagine it's somewhere at the end of the targeting range.

Hope this helps. :]

Few corrections/suggestions.

In the Who Knows Where missions, the God that prevents potion drops DOES effect this and actually makes it a ton harder than it needs to be. Otherwise you'll get 2-3 potions randomly dropped every second wave.

Easy way to do the duelling pistols is to use the tonic that gives you criticals at 33% health. Walk off the platforms until it activates and then your shots will be doubly powerful thus saving you time.

The alternate ending achievement can be gotten without a second plathrough. Simply continue after you have finished the game, and you'll start off on the final level again where you can select the other ending.

A good bit of advice for the Bullhorn test is to not counter the final enemy, but instead act like a matador and get him to suicide off the edge of the level, as otherwise the blue slime he leaves can hit you even with a successful counter. The narrator even hints at this, so it is probably the game's preferred solution.

Edited by Stevolutionary

You can also complete the Breakers Bow proving ground in first without the upgrades. You just have to line up the targets and nail the powershot five times to pass. Just so you know!:drunk

What he said. If you can get the timing down this will probably be the first Proving ground you 100% before upgrading anything. It did take me a few tries at first but after realizing that the character blinks for a full second you can easily get this.

You can also complete the Breakers Bow proving ground in first without the upgrades. You just have to line up the targets and nail the powershot five times to pass. Just so you know!:drunk

Yeah that's how I did mine and bow was it annoying. However, I was surprised to find if you stat, or rather have the right upgrades enabled. You can just do it with normal shots. I was able to do it np in new game plus, even though I still did it with power shots, but I did mess up a couple times, so I can verify it does work with normal shots.

After actually playing through all of these are very easy. If anybody is having problems with some proving grounds just make sure to upgrade and they become so much easier. Also the fact you only have to get 1st place on 7 of them. Also if you need any weapon vigils left just hop in the who knows where and as soon as you get it you can go back to the bastion.

Few corrections/suggestions.

In the Who Knows Where missions, the God that prevents potion drops DOES effect this and actually makes it a ton harder than it needs to be. Otherwise you'll get 2-3 potions randomly dropped every second wave.

The alternate ending achievement can be gotten without a second plathrough. Simply continue after you have finished the game, and you'll start off on the final level again where you can select the other ending.

A good bit of advice for the Bullhorn test is to not counter the final enemy, but instead act like a matador and get him to suicide off the edge of the level, as otherwise the blue slime he leaves can hit you even with a successful counter. The narrator even hints at this, so it is probably the game's preferred solution.

I NEVER got any tonics from enemies in all three WKWs. It's normal that you only get them every 2 rounds so I don't see the problem there.

Well, I know you can get the second ending that way. But why? You need to play through the game a second time anyway. This would actually take a few minutes longer doing it that way.

For the Proving Grounds thoughm thanks. Will include it ^^

Nice guide, but can someone please confirm how "The Menders" works?

I swear I should have gotten this by now: I've definitely done it when they're on 20%, and I find it hard to believe it hasn't happened when I'm on 20%, but no dice. This is the only Vigil I have left, and I'm super sick of dying in Who Knows Where trying to get this poorly described challenge.

Really love this game, but for this one goddamn Vigil.

I NEVER got any tonics from enemies in all three WKWs. It's normal that you only get them every 2 rounds so I don't see the problem there.

Well, I know you can get the second ending that way. But why? You need to play through the game a second time anyway. This would actually take a few minutes longer doing it that way.

For the Proving Grounds thoughm thanks. Will include it ^^

I know enemies don't drop tonics or potions in the sleep challenges, but the God prevents them from appearing as end of round rewards too. Activate it and you're limited to the potions you bring in. Still do-able (you need Lifewine, the 5 potion and 5 tonic spirits, Lifeleech, and the ressurection spirit) but still harder.

In terms of the the second ending, I just thought i'd add that as some people may not feel like completing the game a second time for 100%, so thought i'd point out they can get the other ending achievement easier if they never bothered going for the Calamity Kid one.

10. The Menders

(Bullhead Shield) Defeat a foe with a counter under 20% health.

You can do this in one of the Who Knows Where. I still don't know if it means that the eneny has to have under 20% or you. So just do both until I get some confirmation on this. To get the monster under 20%, just do it on a huge foe and slowly deal damage to him. When he has only a few bars left, just wait for the attack and block with

I can confirm that it has to be the enemy not you. I tested by first having a sliver of health and deflected a projectile back at a security shooter and it died in one shot, no vigil. I then had full health and got one of the big windbags down to 2 bars of health and countered and it died, vigil unlocked. Hope this helps.

I can confirm that it has to be the enemy not you. I tested by first having a sliver of health and deflected a projectile back at a security shooter and it died in one shot, no vigil. I then had full health and got one of the big windbags down to 2 bars of health and countered and it died, vigil unlocked. Hope this helps.

The vigil is "Defeat a foe by counter-blocking its melee attack while at less than 20% health," so you wouldn't get it from a turret.

Meant to mention this in my first post. But if you had full health when you did get it, that's still pretty strong empirical evidence.

Edit: Just got it. I had low health, he had low health, but I can state with near certainty that it is your health that is important. I was near dead, and it finally popped.

Edited by Kashkin
Correction

Thanks for pointing this out. Edited in the guide ^^

You left out the calamity cannon challenge for The Dynasty, which you shouldn't even bother to do until you get the final upgrades so your shots home. You won't even break a sweat.

The vigil is "Defeat a foe by counter-blocking its melee attack while at less than 20% health," so you wouldn't get it from a turret.

Meant to mention this in my first post. But if you had full health when you did get it, that's still pretty strong empirical evidence.

Edit: Just got it. I had low health, he had low health, but I can state with near certainty that it is your health that is important. I was near dead, and it finally popped.

Kashkin is correct, it's your heath, not the enemy's, and it's a melee attack, not a turret. I didn't get this until I let myself get hurt a ton and refused to pick up an excess health potion, wondering why the 3 turrets I killed didn't work, a green charging gas guy showed up and forced me to get it the correct way.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention there's a tonic that increases your counter damage by 100%. It's great for the shield challenge, and for getting the mender vigil. Most things get crushed with 60+ damage.

Edited by Auburok

Hello everybody, i completed Bastion, and all the Vigils, but no achievements.

None of them, i am sure 100% that i have done every Vigil, its all complete.

Its a bug, or what? I'm really pissed.

The achievements are related to the Vigils, not the others.

Edited by Krimson