Bitching Thread

BIGbivvie

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Techinical problems like horses that are only fit for burgers aside, the overall plot is my biggest gripe.

Unless you've studied American History, which I haven't, the plot is incomprehensible. The missions feel like a series of tasks so they can show you a "greatest hits" of the revolution. For an assassination game you do very little assassination. Most of missions seem to be running away as something burns or collapses or taking part in a minigame like cannon firing.

Additionally there's not a likeable character in the game, the worst being the robotic voiced, sulky teenager, Connor. He spends the bulk of the game whining and pouting like Kirstan Stewart's long lost brother.

I officially just gave up. My biggest gripe is the constant "Desynchronized- Detected" mixed with the ridiculous, superhuman ability that every guard or eavesdrop target has to spot you instantly. Used to love this series. Now I'm just going to youtube the story and never touch this garbage again.

Yet in Frontier, you hide in a "bush" and they can't see you :confused:

I don't even think there was a even story, I felt I was more playing a war game at times, of past events.

Edited by cjdavies

It took me quite a while to get into this game. There were certain elements that I really enjoyed but even those were mostly unoriginal. When I compare to other AC games I was disappointed more than once: The cityscapes weren't interesting enough to actually enjoy climbing towers over and over, the towers themselves were never really as high as one would hope for, and the assassinations of main targets seemed rather dull to me. I did have some fun playing this game but I had hoped for more.

I am, or rather WAS, a huge fan of the Assassin’s Creed series. The assassinations, the story line, all of it kept me hooked for hours in earlier representations of the series. Assassin’s Creed III however was not at all up to par with its predecessors.

In previous iterations, I thoroughly enjoyed running the rooftops like a free-runner on steroids, assassinating enemies from high places and climbing buildings high enough to allow me a breathtaking view of the WHOLE city; then flying off said buildings to the scream of an eagle (it's actually more likely a hawk, but they are often used interchangeably) and landing softly in a three-foot pile of hay (as unrealistic as it was, it was still FUN). AC III makes all of this routine and sometimes tiresome nonsense and killed the joy.

After touting how well they fixed the free-running issues of the past (which really were not that bad in hindsight), in AC III my character would jump left or right instead of forward or dropping down. Or, while running at full speed, a barrel would stop him cold as he had to use two hands to first climb the barrel then drop to the other side (if he didn't first jump left or right). The whole flow was completely removed by the "fix" and I found myself more times than not trying to calm down enough so I would not throw my controller (I did throw a battery once and watched in slow motion as it shattered into a half a dozen pieces).

This character is HORRIBLE! He sounds more often like a spoiled child than an assassin and his dialogue is so over-dramatic I felt at times I was watching a prime-time soap opera. Good grief, who writes this kind of shite!

Am I the only one that has noticed lately that when you buy a game (at $60US) if you actually want to complete the whole game you have to buy all the DLC which is often ANOTHER $60US? Most DLC is nowhere near worthy to be considered another full game yet here we are (the completionists in the bunch, at least), paying for exactly that. How did we, the consumer, allow this to happen? We all complain about the greed and “anything to make a buck” mentality of these companies but we follow like sheep to the slaughter as they rob us blind with REALLY BAD add-ons.

Can we PLEASE stop with the multiplayer achievements?! I would like to play the multiplayer in my games because I WANT TO, not because some idiot programmer thought it would be fun to see how many people could get a headshot while doing a double backflip with their head up another player’s ass. Even though I consider myself a “completionist,” I am really rather done with being forced to play multiplayer to gain the balance of my achievements. This is when I look at MP as work rather than fun (‘cause who’s going to play any more MP after they just grinded to level 60?). I am beginning to see my completion rating drop because of ludicrous achievements that must be done in MP and on a particular map pack that you just paid $15US to get.

Finally, I do not know how many people actually read the Animus Database entries but as an American, I was rather insulted at some of what I read. FU Ubisoft! How about you just write a decent effing game and keep your effing opinions to yourself when given in the context of a history lesson. I will be the first to admit that our forefathers were at their root just men, and therefore fallible in every sense. But I do not appreciate you attempting to teach my children your version of history. I understand the political atmosphere is all about hating on the U.S. right now (God knows, we are not perfect) and you are more than welcome to believe and think as you wish, even if you are wrong, but do us all a favor and keep your shite history out of your games! (That last part is for EVERY game company)

I had more fun playing The Sims 3 than I did playing this game.

OK, rant over.

Edited by Eagle41

glitches...

glitches everywhere.

connor is picking about climbing the viewpoint trees, usually ends up hanging from a branch not wanting to go anywhere.

so often he'll refuse to jump off stuff, on time he want on a tree stump and would not get down. really annoying in a timed chase

random desyncs. one time on a mission it desynced cus distance to ally was too big, but there was no ally, all i had to do was kill some guys

the list goes on

it's a good game but you have to deal with so much pain in the ass bullshit that it's a chore most of the time.

one more thing. in an action game, why does something as boring as crafting and trading take so long

you've got to hunt or buy the materials, craft them, if you're out of one item, you have to back out, find it buy it and go back, then you can craft only one at a time. the price for crafting is random and stupid, i once paid $500 for some buttons! then you can't craft a bunch at once you have to do it one at a time. then to send it, can i pick on vendor to send everything, nope you have to find him on a lift for every item, which you also have to select one at a time.

the ezio games made money so much easier, just a few quick buttons and you have bought a property and you make money automatically, that way you can get back to the fun part, stabbing people, not playing convoy simulator

but wait there's more.

i'd say the biggest disappointment with this game is that it has some really good parts. the naval missions actually where a great addition (even with the stupid weak spot thing). the gameplay is there but it doesn't let you enjoy as much, it holds your hand through everything and can't wait to throw out all your stealth efforts and put you in a big fight.

but most of all, this game feels soul-less, the only interesting characters are the templars you have to kill and the setting is boring. i hope you american's enjoy your revolution game cus the rest of us don't give a shit about it, the crusades and the renaisance were so interesting that this seems bland in comparison.

and wow, new york and boston, we've been spoilt with the grand monuments of rome, istanbul and jerusalem, now we're stuck in cold and wet cities pilled with drab brick houses. about the most exciting thing you climb is a church. yawn

My assassin Jacob Zenger has been stuck at 90% synchronization despite already being a 'master assassin'. This has screwed me out of the 100% achievement and I spent alot of time going for it.

Emailed Ubisoft who said they'd "pass the message along". I haven't played this in a month or so and it still hasn't been fixed (and its been a problem since release). Knobs!

Finally, I do not know how many people actually read the Animus Database entries but as an American, I was rather insulted at some of what I read. FU Ubisoft! How about you just write a decent effing game and keep your effing opinions to yourself when given in the context of a history lesson. I will be the first to admit that our forefathers were at their root just men, and therefore fallible in every sense. But I do not appreciate you attempting to teach my children your version of history. I understand the political atmosphere is all about hating on the U.S. right now (God knows, we are not perfect) and you are more than welcome to believe and think as you wish, even if you are wrong, but do us all a favor and keep your shite history out of your games! (That last part is for EVERY game company)

You do realise the animus entries are supposed to be like that as they are meant to be written by Shawn Hastings , the british guy that is helping Desmond.The context of these entries fits with the character and the game which should not be a tool for teaching your children history

Other than that i agree with all your points and i can't stand the over use of QTEs

• 2 weeks later...

the worst game out of the franchise. I mean really the underground tunnels? what a joke that was. very poorly done, I will not be buying the next one till it dips to 10-20 dollars. I am a huge fan of the series but when you go from spending 32 hours on the last to now doubling that come on ubisoft get ur shit together

Finally got around to the game, and I finally finished Sequence 2. On the very last mission in the sequence, I went through shooting at the convoy before jumping down to kill the Redcoats and steal the uniforms, only to have the screen go completely white on me while I was trying to kill them. It still showed the mini-map, and the health bar and weapons, and I would still get hit. I ended up having to just hold the parry button to try and keep from dying.

Then once I was in the fort to free the captives, it did it again directly after the cutscene. Tried just going into the menu. Nothing. Tried leaving the Animus. The white screen was exchanged for a blue one. In both parts, it acted like I was still able to see fine, and I watched the indicator spin on the mini-map so I know it would let me move around. Tried quitting back to the single player menu, and when I went back in from there it was still a white screen.

In the end, I had to go back to the dashboard and back in to get it to reset. Did I just have bad luck, or is it more of Ubisoft's lack of testing?

Some of the Optional Requirements in this game are seriously a bunch of hog wash. I am currently working destroying the Orpheus and his fleet and they require that you destroy all three by shooting their power stores. That's all good and fine except their is absolutely no rhyme or reason to how one should go about exposing the weak spot. God forbid if you upgrade your ship because you will destroy all three ships in very short order. I have tried every tactic known to man and I still ALWAYS sink at least one of the ships through conventional fire. I've even taken down their masts and picked away at the front of the ship with just the swivel guns and eventually the ship just sinks. I call shenanigans and at this point, Ubisoft can suck a fat one because I am no longer inclined to ever bother with the full 100%. This game is neither fun enough nor is the story compelling enough to repeat the same sequence over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I'm out.