is it worth getting??

TheMacBulletin

This is the one we've been waiting for. This game busted nostalgia all over my face and I couldn't be happier with it.

Actually, scratch that. The final boss is fucking terrible so I could be happier. Overall, it's a fantastic game.

Edited by PoMoGub

This is the one we've been waiting for. This game busted nostalgia all over my face and I couldn't be happier with it.

Sounds good to me! I really hope it is an improvement over the last several though. As an original Sonic fan from the Mega Drive days, I started to lose hope after the Dreamcast era.

Edited by Karl of Duty XP

Bosses could use work

game length is short overall

Modern controls are a tad clunky

Not too many areas

Those are the only negatives I can think of. Realistically, I love the fuck out of this and believe it's worth a buy for Sonic fans. I love the feel for both Classic and Modern, and couldn't be happier with the areas chosen for each one, not to mention other Sonic titles are in the game as well. A true nostalgia trip for Sega kids.

Bosses could use work

game length is short overall

Modern controls are a tad clunky

Not too many areas

Those are the only negatives I can think of. Realistically, I love the fuck out of this and believe it's worth a buy for Sonic fans. I love the feel for both Classic and Modern, and couldn't be happier with the areas chosen for each one, not to mention other Sonic titles are in the game as well. A true nostalgia trip for Sega kids.

I thought the exact same as you:cool:

It's a great game for new and old sonic fans. I can't wait for some DLC:D

Brevity is not a complaint that should be issued against Sonic games, when all the originals are less than an hour long (depending on skill). Four hours on the main storyline and I still have plenty of stages to play. That's more than enough Sonic for me.

The game is extremely good aside from the final boss, which in my opinion is horrible.

overall its a must for any sonic fan. Sonic was the first game i ever played way back on the master system, so for me this was a great game, though there are a few flaws:

1) final boss does NOT live upto the standards of any sonic games final boss

2) its far too short for my liking

3) controls can be annoying

and finally, 4) the problem that huants ALL modern era sonic games: falling through the freaking terrain! serousily sega, please SORT OUT THIS STUPID PROBLEM!

Honestly, I would have rented it after the fact. It is quite fun and full of nostalgic nods everywhere, but the entirety of the game can be completed within a rental period and I don't find the stages interesting enough to replay after obtaining all the achievements. There's also really not enough stages; the missions range from bad to sort of cool, but I really would have rather had them taken out and just have two or three more stages to play in, say one for each era.

The real problem seems to be it starts off strong but then sort of dissipates. Like the strongest level design is in the first two zones, but it then gradually deteriorates afterward. This is the real issue for me. When I first started playing through the stages and missions, I was totally psyched to go back through them and go for the S ranks or even try to get respectable leaderboard times. Once I hit the Dreamcast era, though, the levels started to feel a little boring. By Modern era, I was ready to just clear the missions without even worrying about the rank just so I could get it over with.

I see that you've already bought it, which is fine. Being a Sonic nut, you'll probably find my complaints a little too harsh. I only hope that someone else comes along and reads this post as a cautionary tale that just because everyone else says buy doesn't mean it's not a bad idea to rent first. I had my doubts, and now I have to suffer the trade-in dip in value as my cost.

Honestly, I would have rented it after the fact. It is quite fun and full of nostalgic nods everywhere, but the entirety of the game can be completed within a rental period and I don't find the stages interesting enough to replay after obtaining all the achievements. There's also really not enough stages; the missions range from bad to sort of cool, but I really would have rather had them taken out and just have two or three more stages to play in, say one for each era.

The real problem seems to be it starts off strong but then sort of dissipates. Like the strongest level design is in the first two zones, but it then gradually deteriorates afterward. This is the real issue for me. When I first started playing through the stages and missions, I was totally psyched to go back through them and go for the S ranks or even try to get respectable leaderboard times. Once I hit the Dreamcast era, though, the levels started to feel a little boring. By Modern era, I was ready to just clear the missions without even worrying about the rank just so I could get it over with.

I see that you've already bought it, which is fine. Being a Sonic nut, you'll probably find my complaints a little too harsh. I only hope that someone else comes along and reads this post as a cautionary tale that just because everyone else says buy doesn't mean it's not a bad idea to rent first. I had my doubts, and now I have to suffer the trade-in dip in value as my cost.

Very interesting read and yes i do agree that this game could have been completed with ease in a rented period. I am still enjoying the game after just completing it and have to say you make some good points and i feel kind of the same.

I wish that the missions were not there and they had done another 3 stages and a boss battle instead in my opinion. Personally i loved all the levels apart from the last two (as i never owned unleashed or colours so i was like i dont know these stages). Apart from that the game was great the cut scenes were the best i have seen in a modern era sonic game, just seeing classic and modern sonic together was awesome.

My biggest disappointment i guess i can say is like alot of people on this forum the final boss battle just didnt have the same "feel" as a sonic boss battle use too. I would go back to the classic sonic final bosses any day, i really dont see how sega struggle with giving a hard but challenging boss and not just a poorly done one. Apart from that i love the game and it will keep me going back to it, but unless DLC is scheduled i can not see me keeping the game.

If you have played most of the Sonic levels in Sonic Generations(as in the games they were originally in) then it'd be worth getting.

Sonic Generations is all about enjoying the sights and sounds of games you played in the past. So if you haven't played those games, a huge appeal of the game is lost.

Sonic Generations is an utterly brilliant game and I'd have to refer you to the quote above for my honest opinion. It's great, but I think you'll lose some of the charm if you haven't played the rest of them. When I was able to snowboard down the street.. I think I started crying of happiness.

If you have played most of the Sonic levels in Sonic Generations(as in the games they were originally in) then it'd be worth getting.

Sonic Generations is all about enjoying the sights and sounds of games you played in the past. So if you haven't played those games, a huge appeal of the game is lost.

Not exactly, I've never played Colors and I loved that level.. really makes me want to get the DS version.

Not exactly, I've never played Colors and I loved that level.. really makes me want to get the DS version.

All generalizations have exceptions. Hmm, that was a generalization in itself, I wonder if it has an exception too.

At any rate. It was mainly a broad recomendation, obviously cannot fit each individual person perfectly.

I really like this game a lot. 9 zones with two acts each is fine for length. What I really like about this is the replay value. First, there was going back and getting S ranks on all the levels (admittedly it is too easy to get an S).

Then there are all the different paths to the levels. I seriously love how chock full of alternate paths the levels are. This, combined with the red rings that are hidden, lead me to finding new stuff all the time. Hell, I didn't even realize you could race in a go kart until I had played the level it was in like 5 times.

Then there's the challenges. Each of these apart from the races against your doppelganger change the level design. They add in giant enemies, alter the level makeup so that you have a new 1-2 minute platforming level, add in restrictions, and generally just change things up to be new and refreshing. My personal favorite was that they made an entire stage out of jumping on the goal sign that you'd find at the end of classic Sonic levels (think Genesis Sonic games) and juggling it through the air through an entire stage with the objective of not letting it hit the ground once. That was rather clever, given that's what half of us did when we got bored when we cleared a stage back in the day.

Yeah this was the one song game that I was over-the-top super excited about and even though I beat it within...I'd say almost 4 hours, I still love and play it!

I agree about the final boss...totally confusing and Sonic's friends going "IT'S A WARPING ARM ATTACK!" or "IT'S A HOMING ATTACK!" made me just rage more XDDD