Overlord FAQs

Zef

Since there are a lot of questions going around that aren't necessarily achievements related I figured we could do with some FAQs.

Q. How do I make better equipment/weapons?

A. You need to find your first Tower Smelter. Finding the Steel smelter will gain you access to your Tower Forge, where you can make new equipment or make your existing equipment better. Press A infront of your smelters to open the forging menu, then choose the item to create or which minions to sacrifice to improve your equipment.

Q. How do I raise/lower my Corruption level?

A. To raise your Corruption you need to act like an evil Overlord. Kill innocents or make selfish decisions, a list can be found here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30787

To lower your Corruption you will need to act like an honourable Overlord, make decisions that help the world and allow innocents to live. If you accidentally increase your Corruption, you can still lower it by making the right decisions (the opposite to the ones in the thread above).

Q. Where can I find the x minions?

A. Browns - You start with these minions

Reds - In Halfling Homes 2 (Mellow Hills)

Greens - In Veridian Caverns (Evernight Forest)

Blues - In Moist Hollows (Heaven's Peak)

You will need to find the Minion Hives in each of these locations to be able to control the corresponding minions.

Q. Which items count towards Tower Master?

A. Tower Hearts

Minion Hives

Tower Smelters

Health Upgrades

Mana Upgrades

Hoarde Size Upgrades

Magic Spells

Bags of Gold

Crane

Spree's Food

Succubus Statue

Beer Kettle

Mother Goddess Statue

Goldo's Gold Stash

Mistress Velvet's Bed

The locations of these items can be found here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30311

Q. How do I get more minions?

A. Use the Tower Dungeon to fight against Beetles, they drop 3 lifeforce each and will be easy to kill once you have fully upgraded equipment (Durium or higher). The Dungeon opens once you retrieve the crane and you will be able to fight anything that you have already killed during the game.

Further strategies can be found here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31589

Which enemies to fight for lifeforce:

Browns - Regular lifeforce is dropped by 'Battler Beetles'

Greens - Green lifeforce is dropped by 'Puff Beetles'

Reds - Red lifeforce is dropped by 'Magma Beetles'

Blues - Blue lifeforce is dropped by 'Dazzler Beetles'

Q. How do I get to [area]?

A. The six areas of the game unlock at different stages.

Your Tower is the default hub of the game. You start here and it is always open.

Mellow Hills is the second area you will visit. You will be able to enter once you are ready to leave your Tower for the first time through the portal.

Evernight Forest is available once you have Red minions. There is a fire barricade to the West of Spree Village, use your Reds here to enter.

Heaven's Peak can only be visited through your Tower Portal, there is no physical link to the other areas. You can teleport there once you save Rose from Castle Spree.

Golden Hills will open once you defeat the hero Oberon in Evernight Forest. When the hero is defeated a passage opens up behind him and you can access the area.

Ruborian Desert is another area that can only be visited by teleporting. You will first go there when you have hidden your minions in the Mother Goddess Statue in the Construction Site in Golden Hills. Eventually you will be told that your minions have found a Tower Gate that you can use, this depends on the order you play the game. If you go to the construction site first then it will show up as you are clearing Goldo's Stronghold.

Q. Do I need to play the game twice to get Full Corruption and Zero Corruption?

A. You need to complete the game twice, once with 100% Corruption and once with 0% Corruption when you defeat The Wizard. To save time, play the game without getting any Corruption up to the point where you must decide what to do with Spree's Food (this is at the end of Halfling Homes). Make a second autosave file by pausing, going to 'options', the 'select new autosave slot'. Choose a different slot and then continue playing with either full or zero corruption.

When you finish, return to the game menu and reload the second save file. You can now play through again and get the second corruption achievement without having to play through the Halfling Homes or early stages of the game.

Q. How do I destroy the bone-like barriers in Ruborian Desert?

A. You must find a Blaster Beetle (they will appear out of the ground in little pits) and a nest containing a larva (it looks like a regular nest and you can target it). Send a single minion to pick up a larva whilst targetting it and then sweep it past a Blaster Beetle with the right stick. The beetle should follow your minion, so direct it towards the nearest barrier. Let go of the Left Trigger when your minion is in position and then attack the Blaster Beetle, it should start steaming' which is your cue to run away as it will soon explode, destroying the barrier.

You can use the same strategy to defeat the gian Sand Worms in the Desert too, it takes two Blaster Beetles to kill a worm so you need to be patient. You also don't need to attack the beetle when doing this as it will automatically explode when a Sand Worm tries to eat it.

Q. Do gold bags count as objects (for the Tower Master achievement)?

A. Yes, they do. You must use your minions to retrieve the bags of gold scattered throughout the game, a list can be found here (under contstruction):

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30311

Q. How do I beat [dungeon monster]?

A. See the Dungeon Strategy guide here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31737

Q. How do I get more money?

A. Go to the Ruborian Desert Village through your Tower Gate, there are lots of breakable items and chests with money in. Run through this section a few times and you will get a lot of money quickly.

Alternatively, you can warp back to Angelis Keep after defeating Sir William. There are treasure chests that will give you around 2,000 gold in total and few enemies keeping guard. This is helpful early on in the game when you can easily be short of cash. [Rriker]

Q. Can I still unlock achievements after beating the final Hero?

A. Yes, once you defeat the final Hero you will be able to reload your save file and continue playing. However, if you enter the area where you fought the final Hero you will have to fight him again. Everything else in the game is normal, with exception to a few flattened houses in Heaven's Peak.

Q. Which achievements can I get whilst being corrupt?

A. Power up the tower, rebuild the tower, obtain a mistress, retrieve the food, defeat all heroes, full corruption, retrieve all minion types, retrieve all smelters, fully upgrade all equipment sets, harvest 10000 lifeforce, tower master, ultimate horde, defeat all dungeon creatures, mistress master .

Q. Which achievements will I miss by being uncorrupt?

A. 100% corruption and tower master.

Good thinking Zef, pretty good FAQ's thanks for putting it together. One question thought, did you ever find out if the the gold found through out counts toward the Tower Master Achievement?

Yes I did, and they do. Added to the FAQs since I forgot to put them in first time around =P

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to add a list of which achievements can be unlocked following which path please?

Obviously some can be done on either play through, but as you've mentioned, you can't get Tower Master if you're going for Zero Corruption.

I've read a couple of others that need to be avoided if you're trying to keep your corruption down.

So far I'm enjoying playing the game just randomly exploring, but I think I might get a little grumpy if I discover I have to play it 3 or 4 times as I've missed something I could only get while aiming for zero / full corruption.

I imagine it's not possible to compose a list without spoilers, but being an achievement wh*re that's something I'll just have to get over I guess. ;)

EDIT: Cheers for adding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Since there are a lot of questions going around that aren't necessarily achievements related I figured we could do with some FAQs.

Q. How do I get more money?

A. Go to the Ruborian Desert Village through your Tower Gate, there are lots of breakable items and chests with money in. Run through this section a few times and you will get a lot of money quickly.

I've found the best place to get quick cash is to warp or go back to Angelis Keep after you've killed Sir William and just ransack the place. There is about 10 or so treasure chests inside, with no enemies (maybe a beetle) and the pots usually contain some cash too. You can usually walk away with almost 2K gold in a very short amount of time. Still short? Warp back to the tower and warp to Angelis Keep. Repeat as needed. If you're feeling extra adventurous, there are 2 more chests just to the right of the entrance. In very little time, you can get 20K for a full set of Arcanium Weapons, or the minimum of 19,500 needed to please your mistress.

If you just got the Durium smelter and need cash to buy weapons to fight Sir Slick Willy, go behind the Heaven's peak waypoint down to where the graveyard is. There are 3 Mausoleums you can break the doors down and raid 6 chests for about 700 gold. While doing these runs, you can also knock off some human kills in the camp if you are evil.

• 3 months later...
Zef,

Could you please remind me how to kill the Sandworms? I haven't played the game in ages and I've just decided to get the Tower Master achievement...

Thanking you in advance!

Q. How do I destroy the bone-like barriers in Ruborian Desert?

A. You must find a Blaster Beetle (they will appear out of the ground in little pits) and a nest containing a larva (it looks like a regular nest and you can target it). Send a single minion to pick up a larva whilst targetting it and then sweep it past a Blaster Beetle with the right stick. The beetle should follow your minion, so direct it towards the nearest barrier. Let go of the Left Trigger when your minion is in position and then attack the Blaster Beetle, it should start steaming' which is your cue to run away as it will soon explode, destroying the barrier.

You can use the same strategy to defeat the giant Sand Worms in the Desert too, it takes two Blaster Beetles to kill a worm so you need to be patient. You also don't need to attack the beetle when doing this as it will automatically explode when a Sand Worm tries to eat it.

I think this is what you are looking for.

• 2 months later...

How, exactly, do I re-defeat the final boss? I wasn't expecting him to jump in my face immediately after fighting Kahn, so I was only on 85% Corruption at the time - hadn't gotten around to doing the 1000 Peasants run, due to Kahn holing up in Heaven's Peak...

So yeah, I'm currently doing in the peasants, but I haven't been able to restart the boss-fight, and there's not very much point in me wasting all this time doing that, if I can't fight the boss again, and thus get the Full Corruption achievement.

Oh, and before you answer, two facts: I have tried heading back to the area where I fought him the first time. All the way to the arena-looking place. Nothing happened, no boss, no enemies, no nothing. Second, I've got the 'Raising Hell' DLC, and haven't done the final Abyss-stage yet... I was planning to save it for last, but it just occured to me that THAT could be what's keeping me from re-fighting the boss.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...