Portal achievement guide

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting Gold on the challenges are impossible for me, even trying to get bronze on all of them... Those 3 achievements are the last ones I need to complete Portal, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Thanks for the Guide on the Cameras, came really helpful.

I can't wait for another box with more Half-Life, Portal, and Team Fortress craziness. :p

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

man, ive gotten every other achievement for the orange box. ive taken the gnome and put him in space. ive watched the neighborhood. ive played with friends like these. i just cant seem to get the aperture science achievements. man, does anybody have any tips for the least steps and least time challenges? ive beaten least portals on gold already.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A tip to get the Terminal Velocity achievement. Make sure your two portals

are oriented in opposite directions. When you look down at yourself you should see yourself looking in the opposite direction. This way as you're falling you don't constantly inch in one direction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Managed to get "Aperture Science" in one day. Heck, this is even worst than Dark Agent in Perfect Dark Zero. Lots of memorization and patience (and fast movement) to accomplish this achievement.

Some videos are crazy, but I don't want to break the world record, just wanted the damn achievement! Now I got 1000/1000!!!! :woop:

To be completely honest my thoughts were - This is impossible without cheats. My trick was really to just use this site

http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/xbox-360-cheats/half-life-2/

Put them in, then use the save exploit at the end of the game

(Save the game at the end, start a new game on any level, then reload your save) Game doesnt know you've cheated and you've easily completed it.

I'm sorry but the least steps some were insanely impossible without the cheats. Being able to fire the energy balls and place portals Anywhere was just like a gift from god.

I'm sorry but the least steps some were insanely impossible without the cheats. Being able to fire the energy balls and place portals Anywhere was just like a gift from god.

Yeah! I can't blame you, some of the challenges are quite impossible, but the least steps weren't hard for me, but the least time!! Especially the one with all the turrets... god... got 0:52!

But honestly, If you keep try and retry, you can achieve gold even without cheats. I spent all my day from the morning till the late night to get Aperture Science... and, phew, everything is done!

But hey, I'm quite happy you enjoy your achievement now :drunk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got Aperture Science today after about 4 days of trying the challenges on and off. The link to the Portal Walthroughs site was extremely helpful. I watched every video available and had to redo specific areas repeatedly until I got it just right and made it to a spot to save. All the videos are useful so watch every one of them that is available; you may mix and match different techniques in each video to get your gold on the map.

I thought this game might not be possible to get 100% in on the console because the guys in the videos seemed to be using the PC version of the game, and the mouse is so much more accurate than the 360 controller, but I proved myself wrong. It just takes patience!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First, I agree that having the cheevs menu in the main menu is a fantastic idea, and more games need to adopt this model.

I've watched videos and tried and tried...but getting gold on all the challenges is making me batty. Deploying to Iraq didn't help my cause either. Wish I was done, because I'm itching to buy Portal 2, but I want to finish the original, first! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I've only been trying for about an hour now but I can already tell that getting gold on everything is going to take years off my life do to stress and frustration. I'm sure I could do this eventually with tons of practice but I think I would much rather just move onto another game. Good luck to anyone else still going at it.

Also, I agree with other people on this thread, it does look easier for people on the pc.

Oh, and thanks for the guide.

• 5 months later...

definitely worth cheating to get. You have to be ungodly fast with an xbox controller to even try without cheats. I think that's why they made it for so little gamerscore. There's no other explanation. They know their programming well enough to know how people have exploited cheats and they would have fixed it by now if they really thought, "oh they're cheating to get these almost impossible achievements" better stop them from doing so. They put cheats in games for a reason. To make it more fun, even if it takes away from the core, it takes away the majority of the frustration as well. I'm almost done getting gold, and I'm glad I found out the cheat exploit or else this would be a game I would never finish 100%. Mouse and keyboard, sure, I would try my luck, but I'm an achievement whore.

woot! Thanks to the guides, I was able to (cheat) and get the gold! Now, mind you some of these I could see getting legit, but the majority except least portals in my opinion, are impossible to get without cheats or a mouse an keyboard. Too hard on console, hence why they included cheats over to the consoles.