Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

IMPOSSIBLE DAN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the same problem. when i talk to the steward there is no option to buy anything. i can buy morthal/dawnstar. and yes i am thane everywhere.

so i loaded a 50~ hours older savegame of the same character and suddenly i was able to buy all three plots. i have no clue what triggers this bug, but i would really like to build a house near falkreath on my current savegame -_-

Same problem, I understand it's related to you killing his servant guy, Halvard something earlier in the Dark Brotherhood questlines meaning Jarl Siddgeir in Falkreath doesn't like you meaning he never unlocks the land-purchase option.

I am a Thane everywhere including Falkreath and have the named weapons to prove it and can pick up one of the random radient quests from the steward but even after completing this, no further quests appear from either Jarl or steward and no purchase option appears. Both Dawnstar and Morthal purchases work fine but the constant snow annoys me and I'd prefer a more temperate climate to build in, like anyone.

If anyone manages any workarounds on the 360 I'd REALLY appreciate some advice.

Edited by buggss

i reverted back to a really old save and i was able to buy the land no problem, so now i'm going to build all 3 houses for the achievment then revert to my main save and pick one of thenon falkreath lands to build my real house on, a pain in the butt for sure, but oh well it's worth a try for the rest of you who just want the achievment

I'm not even interested in the achievement, I just wanted my character to retire. I guess another area for now will have to do.

I'm honestly very surprised Bethesda overlooked this problem, quite disgusted to be honest.

If its because the steward dislikes you, is it really a "problem" in the game? Seems more like consequences for being a murderer >_> Same goes for people trying to remarry because they killed their spouse...

If its some sort of bug holding it up, then please, complain away :) If its as intended, and the steward hates your guts....well, players probably deserve that. I enjoy games where you're punished for your actions.

Anyone tried repeating one of the hold's radiant quests over and over to increase the steward's opinion of you? Like selling crops over and over?

If its because the steward dislikes you, is it really a "problem" in the game? Seems more like consequences for being a murderer >_> Same goes for people trying to remarry because they killed their spouse...

Good point, though we never knew before hand that he would be selling the land, otherwise I would have never killed him.

I think it has to do with some of the actual sidequests in that hold. My experience panned out as follows:

I received my letter from the Jarl of Falkreath, I went over to him and killed some bandits he was dealing with (Not sure if thats radiant as I've done it more than once, going to the same hideout with the same objective, however if it is then my bad) and then returned. I asked to buy a plot of land and I wasn't thane, but I was given the land. House 1 built.

Next I travelled to Morthal and did the Laid to Rest quest which you receive from the Jarl directly. After that I could purchase my second piece of land. House 2 built.

Finally I travelled to Dawnstar and completed the Waking Nightmare quest (which you receive in the Inn from the priest of Mara, can't miss him to be fair, he's the priest with the mace), as the Jarl won't deal with you otherwise, then I completed a quick Giant slaying quest for him, then I could buy the 3rd plot. House 3 built.

I'm not sure if the radiant quests from the steward like {Kill X enemy at Y Location} actually contribute to the Jarl/Steward selling you the land. I would say you try and make sure the above is completed first, then talk to the Jarls directly and ask if you can do anything for them. If the radiant quests do contribute then I'll shut up xD

Same problem, I understand it's related to you killing his servant guy, Val-something earlier in the Dark Brotherhood questlines meaning Siddgeri in Falkreath doesn't like you meaning he never unlocks the land-purchase option.

It's actually correct. Unless you have a save data before you kill Helvard in the Dark Brotherhood, there's no chance you can get the land (at least from the 3 hours of trying to test all possibilities). It's an old bug which from the looks of it it was never looked up/never bothered to be fixed. Only have 2-3 miscellaneous quests not related to anything "Thane" related and I'm sure it's the whole Helvard thing since you still get the quests from Nenya (which isn't "glitched") but rather the Jarl itself. :/

Hopefully of course it doesn't glitch with everyone.

I could not get started with Falkreath's Thane quests until I started clearing up misc. quests. I needed to turn in the mammoth tusk to ysolda to get the Briars-mead quest. I then spent over 3 hours doing other misc. quest until I got the "kill bandits" quests.

As has been stated, there are radiant quests that will block the Falkreath Jarl from giving you quests until you wrap them up.

Skyrim should have had a work around for this when they released the DLC, seeing how common this problem is, IMO. Or made this DLC without achievements.

Skyrim should have had a work around for this when they released the DLC, seeing how common this problem is, IMO. Or made this DLC without achievements.

I agree that a work around should be there.... in that the jarl should just give you the quests

But if they didnt do achievements people would be upset about that or claim the dlc was useless.

You know, it's odd. I joined the Stormcloaks, so the usual Jarl and Nenya are stuck in the basement of the Blue Palace in Solitude. The new Jarl and his Steward basically have no relation to Helvard at all (who still happens to be laying on the floor where I killed him), and yet, I still can't purchase the land in Falkreath.

Is there anyone who were offered the choice to buy the land, and were able to do so, while the current Jarl is Siddgeir AND Halvard is already dead?

Just to narrow this down: If the current Jarl is Siddgeir AND Helvard is dead due to the Dark Brotherhood quest, then the option of buying the land will never be offered - Correct?

Emphasize on "AND", meaning both criteria has to be in place at the same time. Thanks in advance for any information.

Is there anyone who were offered the choice to buy the land, and were able to do so, while the current Jarl is Siddgeir AND Halvard is already dead?

Just to narrow this down: If the current Jarl is Siddgeir AND Helvard is dead due to the Dark Brotherhood quest, then the option of buying the land will never be offered - Correct?

Emphasize on "AND", meaning both criteria has to be in place at the same time. Thanks in advance for any information.

Absolutely.

Killing Helvard does NOT stop you buying the land or annoy the Jarl enough. On one character I can't buy it and on the other I can but I'm a Falkreath Thane in both and Helvard is dead in both. In both these games Siddgeir is the current Jarl.

Also it isn't the rare item dropoff (Amulet of Arkay, Ysolde's mammoth tusk etc)stopping the advancement either as the character that can buy Falkreath land also has the Arkay quest still active.

It's something else and I have no idea what it can be.

Underlining to assure the details are correct. :)

I killed Halvard as part of the DB questline and had no problem (well that is a lie, I had a radiant quest open and had to finish it before the Jarl would give me the get him a drink quest).

Neither the Jarl nor the new steward ever seemed angry at me or hateful towards me...

Question for those of you having problems because you killed Halvard: Did someone see you do it? I always made sure no one saw me kill anyone in the DB quests. Maybe that makes a difference.