Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

IMPOSSIBLE DAN

...Question for those of you having problems because you killed Halvard: Did someone see you do it? I always made sure no one saw me kill anyone in the DB quests. Maybe that makes a difference.

Yeah, definitely made sure I was never seen on the DB quests, if I was a reloaded and tried again.

I'm something of a perfectionist completionist so not being able to make that 3rd house on my "completed" runthrough is pretty devastating...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this too. Honestly is pretty ridiculous. I'm still suffering from the Blood on the Ice bug so can't get Hjerim on my main lvl 78 character either. You can't expect people to play your game for nigh on a year and then release a DLC with achievements tied to a character who is meant to be killed in a faction questline. It is definitely becoming Thane and completing the Jarls radiant quest prior to killing Helvard that causes this, as his disposition is redeemable according to numerous sources around the internet by becoming Thane or getting the Black Briar Mead after assassinating Helvard. Anyone who says otherwise is just stirring it up. I've messaged Bethesda twice, once with a link to this thread. You guys should too, hopefully it will be addressed in a patch. I've still got a pre-Hearthfire save too but unfortunately no pre-Helvard death save so if it comes down to that looks like this DLC has ruined my 100% GS for this.

I've still got a pre-Hearthfire save too but unfortunately no pre-Helvard death save so if it comes down to that looks like this DLC has ruined my 100% GS for this.

is it really so hard to just start a new game and blitz your way to getting the three houses...?

....Anyone who says otherwise is just stirring it up......

Excuse me just one second but I'm not stirring anything up, feel free to pop along to my place and I'll show you the 2 characters' saved games with exactly the situations explained above, both with a dead Halverd in the jarl's long house and one with 3 completed houses and one with no sight nor sound of Falkreath land.

I'm in my 30's for crying out loud and have been gaming for 30 odd years, I'm no kid trying to troll.

Excuse me just one second but I'm not stirring anything up, feel free to pop along to my place and I'll show you the 2 characters' saved games with exactly the situations explained above, both with a dead Halverd in the jarl's long house and one with 3 completed houses and one with no sight nor sound of Falkreath land.

I'm in my 30's for crying out loud and have been gaming for 30 odd years, I'm no kid trying to troll.

How have you purchased the house and/or killed Helvard if you have not been to Falkreath then? My apologies in advance if I am missing something here.

Furthermore; exactly, so you haven't filled the requirement for the bug then, in my case, and others i've read around the interwebs (yahoo answers, gamespot, here, UESP) it is related to becoming Thane AND completing the "Kill Bandit Leader" and "Rare Gifts" quests/favours prior to killing Helvard and thus negatively affecting the Jarl's disposition with no way to mitigate for it due to having already completed the aforementioned quests. I hadn't actually directed the post at you; if you go on gamespot you will find all manner of know-it-alls who are trying to tell people that they are playing the game wrong and have broken it themselves.

Edited by Roose91

How have you purchased the house and/or killed Helvard if you have not been to Falkreath then? My apologies in advance if I am missing something here....

Yes, you're missing that by "Falkreath land" I meant the plot of land to build on. Look further back and you'll see the 4:27 timed post above for confirmation.

I assumed you were directing the post at me because I'm the only one disagreeing with the Thane/Halverd setup you're saying must be the cause, if I was wrong I apologise too.

The main difference between the 2 games I'm describing (both with well over 300 hours logged each) is that one has an in-completable bounty mission for Skald I can't hand in, has completed the Imperial questline and the game overall as well as every faction questline, this one can NOT buy the Falkreath plot of land but has been a Falkreath Thane for a long time. The other character has an active mission to hand an amulet of arkay to thor-wotsit (name?), hasn't started the imperial questline, hasn't completed the alduin main quest but has completed several of the faction questlines.

So the point is the only constants I can see so far is completing the imperial questline can stop buying land in Falkreath, (although as Falkreath and Siddgeir were on the imperial side this seems unlikely) completion of the main game questline (who knows?) or some other factor that hasn't been considered.

The only other thing I can think of is the vampire couple in the half-moon mill near falkreath may have an impact, in the game I can't buy the Falkreath land I killed both vampires in the DB quests, in the game I can buy I only killed the male leaving Hert alive.

Maybe that's something to do with it.

.....so what can we do ? :confused:

:mad::(

Well I guess we hope Bethesda pays attention to how many people are having the same problem and therefore putting others who read the many forums off PAYING for the DLC's by simply making thanedom of the region the only requirement along with the cash.

After all, the whole DLC is only a convenience, why block it?

Edited by buggss

Absolutely.

Killing Helvard does NOT stop you buying the land or annoy the Jarl enough. On one character I can't buy it and on the other I can but I'm a Falkreath Thane in both and Helvard is dead in both. In both these games Siddgeir is the current Jarl.

Also it isn't the rare item dropoff (Amulet of Arkay, Ysolde's mammoth tusk etc)stopping the advancement either as the character that can buy Falkreath land also has the Arkay quest still active.

It's something else and I have no idea what it can be.

Underlining to assure the details are correct. :)

Glad I asked. This is just what I needed to know. I'm worried that I've completely locked out the possibility of buying the land.

So we now have one instance of:

- Siddgeir as Jarl

- Helvard is dead

- Character is already Thane

...who's still able to purchase the land. I'll keep getting radiant quests from Nenya and see if I bump into something.

If anything, I have two bugged Misc. quests in my log which is the same as yours; That is, to report to Skald, and it's logged there twice. Apparently, it's an old bug. It doesn't go away, regardless if Skald is still in control or not (Stormcloak/Empire thing). I don't see any reason why this could lockout the buy option, but it still could.

Until Bethesda releases a fix for this, I'll just have to bug Nenya as much as I can.

Taken from the Bethesda Forums

"Where do I start Hearthfire?

If you have already completed tasks for the jarls of Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar and earned their trust, you will receive a letter from the steward of their respective towns letting you know that land has become available for purchase. Receipt of this letter is required in order to be able to purchase land. You will receive a iscellaneous objective, and a quest target that points to the Steward or relevant authority of that hold.

If you have not yet earned the trust of the Jarls, you will receive a letter via Courier once your character is level 9 or higher. The invite will allow your character to visit and learn about the benefits of working for them and the possibility of buying land. If your character is already level 9 or above when Hearthfire is first installed, you will soon receive the letter from a Courier while visiting a town or settlement.

How do I gain the ability to purchase a land plot?

You must earn the trust of the Jarl for the area you wish to purchase land in (Falkreath, Hjaalmarch, or Dawnstar). Each hold requires some specific favors or quests to be completed to earn that Jarl’s trust. After doing these, you will receive a letter informing your character that the land is available for purchase. This letter is required for purchase.

What are the specific requirements for getting land in each hold?

For Falkreath: You must complete the “Rare Gifts” favor, and the “Kill the Bandit Leader” favor. You may then buy land from Steward Nenya.

For Hjaalmarch: You must complete the quest “Laid to Rest”. You may then buy land from Steward Aslfur.

For Dawnstar: You must complete the Daedric Quest “Waking Nightmare” and then the favor “Kill the Giant”. Please note that this favor has the prerequisites of being level 22 or higher, and having had previously completed the “Waking Nightmare” Daedric Quest. At this point, you can then buy land directly from Jarl Skald the Elder."

I was stuck with Falkreath but i did all the misc rare gift quests, once i did all them i was able to buy land from the Jarl in Falkreath.

"Rare Gift Quests

Getting the book The Mirror for captain Aldis in Solitude

Getting a Mammoth Tusk for Ysolda in Whiterun

Getting the book Song of the Alchemists for Lami in Morthal

Getting the book Night falls on Sentinel for Rustleif in Dawnstar

Getting an Amulet of Arkay for Torbjorn Shatter-Shield in Windhelm

Edited by iNu

Rare Gift Quests

Getting the book The Mirror for captain Aldis in Solitude

Getting a Mammoth Tusk for Ysolda in Whiterun

Getting the book Song of the Alchemists for Lami in Morthal

Getting the book Night falls on Sentinel for Rustleif in Dawnstar

Getting an Amulet of Arkay for Torbjorn Shatter-Shield in Windhelm

Finished with all of these already, and still no dice. I also saw this posted in the Bethesda forums; I assumed the context in the Falkreath portion means the one for Siddgeir only, not the whole lot - though I understand you are only trying to be sure.

For those who used this method, they probably don't have that "unknown factor" in their game saves which prevents the "buy" dialogue option from Nenya, and must have probably left one or any of these quests active so upon completion of these, it seemed like these are the ones to actually trigger the offer from Nenya.

But thanks for the help. Anything to move this forward helps.

Finished with all of these already, and still no dice. I also saw this posted in the Bethesda forums; I assumed the context in the Falkreath portion means the one for Siddgeir only, not the whole lot - though I understand you are only trying to be sure.

For those who used this method, they probably don't have that "unknown factor" in their game saves which prevents the "buy" dialogue option from Nenya, and must have probably left one or any of these quests active so upon completion of these, it seemed like these are the ones to actually trigger the offer from Nenya.

But thanks for the help. Anything to move this forward helps.

So basically, if you joined the Stormcloaks, you're fucked.

That's nice...

So basically, if you joined the Stormcloaks, you're fucked.

That's nice...

LOL well said, however in 1 of my 2 cases who joined and completed the imperial storyline I also can't get anywhere with buying the Falkreath land and he has none of the other conditions other than a radient bounty to hand in to the incarcerated Skald in the palace of the kings. However neither he nor the quest list lets me hand it in.

I'm curious.... has anyone else got a quest, either proper or misc that won't let you toggle it to an active quest? My radient bounty hand-in won't change off the inactive diamond quest to the active arrow quest.

Hopefully there is a fix for those still having problems. I just had to do a job for Nenya, then two for the Jarl and that was that.

I assume the 2 jarl jobs were the blackbriar mead order and the bandit wipeout? If so I think most people commenting have long since done these and probably wish they hadn't.

I tried completing some more quests, killed paarthnax, RE-doing red eagle's sword and a couple of others not mentioned as being relevant and returned to Falkreath. Nenya, for the first time in AGES actually gave me a "go kill that dragon" bounty quest and I got quite excited (I know, 34 and I get excited over a bunch of pixels :D ) thinking I'd resolved it and would be offered the land after handing it in but no luck.

I'm starting to think the one factor you can get to know you're being offered the land is the new housecarl approaching you as you enter the jarl's house. If the housecarl ain't there, neither is the offer.

i had no problems with any plots but i had done all errands for each respective jarl b4 dlc came out to get the relevant weapons

Yep, we've seen both versions; not being thane, getting letters to visit, becoming thane and then having the land with no problems and also already being thane, walking into the jarl's house and having the new housecarl walk straight up and introduce themselves. Also no problem with the land.

I wish I had one of these... :D

Edited by buggss

I assume the 2 jarl jobs were the blackbriar mead order and the bandit wipeout? If so I think most people commenting have long since done these and probably wish they hadn't.

Yeah and then after turning in second one he just said i deserved to be able to buy some property. I thought i was going to have problems too but luckily not.

Re-checked this as I didn't like it much but seem to have little choice:

I've been trying to do as many remaining quests in an attempt to free up falkreath's jarl's disposition enough to let me buy the land even though I'm already jarl and have done just about every quest in his region.

Unfortunately the only one I've gotten done that made Nenya offer me another radient was a mixture of either killing paarthanax and/or handing in a radient dragon kill quest to esbern. I couldn't hand in the dragon kill before as esbern wouldn't talk at all because of the paarthanax situation.

Hopefully the new radient from the steward will help in some way.

Here's hoping...

P.S. It seems to me that the simplest way for Bethesda to sort this is to just allow any misc quests to be abandoned at any time by choice. It'll include letting me drop this bloody arcana restored for the orc librarian which i looted from a giant's chest before collecting that quest and I could ditch the radient quest I can't hand in to skald as he's now a captive jarl in windhelm meaning he won't talk to me.

WOW.

Okay. So apparently... I was blocked because the Courier never actually gave me the letter to purchase land from Falkreath. The first time I played through this DLC, he only gave me the letter to upgrade Breezehome with a Child's Bedroom, and the one from the Riften Orphanage to adopt children.

My suspicions on why this happened is because the first time I was approached by the courier, I was in Whiterun. When he gave me the letter from the Steward in Falkreath, I was actually standing in Falkreath. It makes little sense that I would still be able to purchase the houses in Dawnstar and Morthal without letters, but was unable to purchase a house in Falkreath.

The only conclusion I can make on this matter is that by receiving and reading the letter about available land in Falkreath, it created a quest for buying land in Fakreath, and essentially forced the Jarl's Steward, Tekla, to make the dialogue available.

What sucks... is that the only way I was able to fix this was by reloading a save from 20 hours ago... the last possible save in my rotation... from before I bought any land or even started the Hearthfire DLC.

So to anyone who is still having trouble with Falkreath.

Try to reload a save from BEFORE you started playing Hearthfire. And then fast travel to Falkreath and wait for the courier to approach you. If he doesn't give you a letter to purchase land in Falkreath, repeat that process until he does, or until you give up.

Just might end some of your frustration.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane

Interesting that certain quests must be completed before Falkreath Jarl will give a quest. Hopefully this helps

I can confirm that this works. Just clear the listed quests.

Thanks for looking that up again but it isn't that simple.

Most people on the several threads with Falkreath problems are beyond most of these issues.

Out of the misc quests I've completed at least 6 of the 7, the one I might be missing is the half moon mill as the female vampire was with the male vampire when I completed the DB quest to kill him. However as we're only required to complete 3 of these that's not likely to matter and I was able to become thane there long ago.

WOW.

Okay. So apparently... I was blocked because the Courier never actually gave me the letter to purchase land from Falkreath. The first time I played through this DLC, he only gave me the letter to upgrade Breezehome with a Child's Bedroom, and the one from the Riften Orphanage to adopt children.

My suspicions on why this happened is because the first time I was approached by the courier, I was in Whiterun. When he gave me the letter from the Steward in Falkreath, I was actually standing in Falkreath. It makes little sense that I would still be able to purchase the houses in Dawnstar and Morthal without letters, but was unable to purchase a house in Falkreath.

The only conclusion I can make on this matter is that by receiving and reading the letter about available land in Falkreath, it created a quest for buying land in Fakreath, and essentially forced the Jarl's Steward, Tekla, to make the dialogue available.

What sucks... is that the only way I was able to fix this was by reloading a save from 20 hours ago... the last possible save in my rotation... from before I bought any land or even started the Hearthfire DLC.

So to anyone who is still having trouble with Falkreath.

Try to reload a save from BEFORE you started playing Hearthfire. And then fast travel to Falkreath and wait for the courier to approach you. If he doesn't give you a letter to purchase land in Falkreath, repeat that process until he does, or until you give up.

Just might end some of your frustration.

Hmm...

Problem with the letter theory is you're not supposed to receive one from any of the holds you're already a thane in, does that fit in with the letters you did/didn't receive?

I've tried reloading a pre-HF save game several times and I've only ever received letters from the orphanage and whiterun which goes with the thane thing.

The more I read the more I think the most important thing is to remember to hand in radient bounty quests as soon as possible to allow another steward or jarl to offer you another of the same type.

Edited by buggss