Final level battle...

Spoilers, sort of.

How do I defeat the two Elite Mutons just after you find one of your team dead? I've tried staying back with mines etc. Do I have to get lucky and hope that one comes at a time?

I have a good setup where my lead character has the fast ability charge pack and my squadmates have the health extender packs. I'm using recon and an engineer with the correct skills.

It is a challenge, and with setting up mines and staying out of the way, it is taking a significant amount of time each time I try. :S

Edited by Riconoclast

I stood back by the door where you come in with distractions and tons of mines and turrets and all the other powers. Mind controlled one when they got too close

THIS!!! yeah I am same boat as you. I spamming turrets, mines and fire missions while I did mind controlled on 2 Mulans and few shield enemies. Every times drones in area and I keep shoot em with my heavy plasma weapon. I completed game yesterday. Moment working and playing in SR IV. :)

Edited by cheevo360

First thing you should do is change your packs, have your character with the one that increase clip size as this gives you more shots in your heavy weapon which my preference being the Blaster Launcher ( more spread damage on the Mutons armor panels) or the Lightning gun.

Drop the health extenders from your team as if your struggling I suspect your on Commander difficulty and the extra health will make them last a few seconds more (pointless). Change it for the one that significantly decrease recharge times and has a penalty to accuracy. Your team mates can't hit a barn door anyhow so the penalty won't change anything. If you've taken the decrease recharge time perk as your level ten ability this will pretty much give you permanant decoy, turret and very quick mine recharge.

Take out the Minion Comander on the left first so you don't have to deal with ever spawning drones which lift your teammates up and expose them. Lift him, snipe him, finishing him of yourself, hell even use a heavy weapon shot on him as if this guy lives the fights over before it starts.

Place your decoy either behind and to left or right of the small square central structure to drags the Mutons together to make your air strikes more effective. Put your turret down so it can shoot at least one of the Mutons mine the area every time your mines up. If your confident you have the Mutons locked down you can lift them yourself and drop a mine under them otherwise keep your lift as an emergency lockdown should one break free from the containment area.

Your blob and your drone (which you hopefully picked the lift beam for) should be up at all times, if your drone lifts another enemy take the opportunity to snipe and destroy it.

Mind control should be used on the Mutons when there together as if there not near anything they waste it by walking around.

All this should be done in the 1st minute of the Mutons spawning, then it's just a case of keep decoying, turret and mining the area to keep the Mutons tied to tight area so you can air strike and heavy weapon them.

Knowing where your ammo refills are helps too as I hadn't picked one up during the other waves so still had the boxes to. The left and right available but there are also some more in the small structures at the sides of the map but these do prove tricky to get to.

Whole final wave should only last about 3 minutes, they just get murdered.

Edited by True Marvellous

First thing you should do is change your packs, have your character with the one that increase clip size as this gives you more shots in your heavy weapon which my preference being the Blaster Launcher ( more spread damage on the Mutons armor panels) or the Lightning gun.

Drop the health extenders from your team as if your struggling I suspect your on Commander difficulty and the extra health will make them last a few seconds more (pointless). Change it for the one that significantly decrease recharge times and has a penalty to accuracy. Your team mates can't hit a barn door anyhow so the penalty won't change anything. If you've taken the decrease recharge time perk as your level ten ability this will pretty much give you permanant decoy, turret and very quick mine recharge.

Take out the Minion Comander on the left first so you don't have to deal with ever spawning drones which lift your teammates up and expose them. Lift him, snipe him, finishing him of yourself, hell even use a heavy weapon shot on him as if this guy lives the fights over before it starts.

Place your decoy either behind and to left or right of the small square central structure to drags the Mutons together to make your air strikes more effective. Put your turret down so it can shoot at least one of the Mutons mine the area every time your mines up. If your confident you have the Mutons locked down you can lift them yourself and drop a mine under them otherwise keep your lift as an emergency lockdown should one break free from the containment area.

Your blob and your drone (which you hopefully picked the lift beam for) should be up at all times, if your drone lifts another enemy take the opportunity to snipe and destroy it.

Mind control should be used on the Mutons when there together as if there not near anything they waste it by walking around.

All this should be done in the 1st minute of the Mutons spawning, then it's just a case of keep decoying, turret and mining the area to keep the Mutons tied to tight area so you can air strike and heavy weapon them.

Knowing where your ammo refills are helps too as I hadn't picked one up during the other waves so still had the boxes to. The left and right available but there are also some more in the small structures at the sides of the map but these do prove tricky to get to.

Whole final wave should only last about 3 minutes, they just get murdered.

Followed these directions and the whole final battle was pretty easy.

Very nerve wracking, but easier than other battles in the game.

Very good advice.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the commando class; "Tunnel Vision" for increased damage to taunted targets is amazing(Lightning Cannon does insane damage to Heavy Sectopods and Elite Mutons), and it has a very short cooldown, plus it takes the fire off you, and draws enemies out of cover. Not to mention "Personal Shield" can be a life saver, and it also has a short cooldown. Then there's "Pulse Wave" for panic moments when you're getting rushed. Definitely my favorite class and I tried them all many times.

I thought they were pretty useless at first too, but I gave everyone equal playing time and found out how good that ability is. Best part is the Commando is very good at staying alive and keeping in cover while a taunted enemy is shooting at him, and any other time as well. The cooldown is around 16 seconds at the beginning of the game with no bonuses, and later on it's around 5-10 seconds depending.

I tried the Commando method but he ended up dying very quickly when taunting. I don't know why, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. I can see how it'd work though but I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I used two recons throughout, had a bit of a problem at the final battle, but got past it.

The key to the final battle is simply observing the pattern of the waves of enemies that appear. The most dangerous enemies aren't the elite mutons, but the minion commander and its drones. Always kill the minion commander first.

It's also good to note that a new wave of enemies do not appear until you kill the last enemy of one wave, so keep that one alive and wait for all your abilities to recharge before killing him. This allows you to have all abilities at your disposal whenever a new wave begins.

During the double elite mutons wave, once you remove the minion commander and the few outsiders running around, you're golden. The elite mutons are easy to kill with two recons. I mind controlled one, have both of them walking together, and called forth two fire missions, two critical strikes on the non MC-one, threw three grenades, and spammed the rotary plasma cannon. This killed off one immediately, and I just circled the other one and finished him off.

Glad to finish this game, happy to pass it on to a friend.

I would use the Commando to Taunt the Minion Commander before he can even call in any drones and kill him(same with Shield and Tech Commanders). With a Recon's Critical strike and you shooting him too, he should go down instantly.

I don't know who is downing your Commando because the Mutons certainly can't from that far away, and by the time they get close enough, everything else should be dead so you can move him away. My Commando literally has only gone down maybe 2-3 times since I started religiously using one. I had the passive skill "endurance training", with a backpack to take less damage/plus whatever else, his shield ability always up, and with the extra health they get he doesn't usually he even get under half health.

The Commando method requires the player to actually be on point with shooting everything he taunts though. Of course Mind Controlling and Lifting, using your drone and Silacoid is all essential too. There is simply no denying the damage a Lightning Cannon does on the high end enemies with tunnel vision. You don't even need to strip their armor off; just two shots take almost all their health on Veteran or Commander. Never played on any lower difficulty but it may come close to 1 shotting, I dunno. Best part of Taunt is the super low cooldown, early access, and it works from any distance, so keep him far away if need be. Whatever works for you though. I just can't understand how your guy went down. Did you try just 1 time? Bad luck maybe.

Couldn't help but to test this on that very last checkpoint where it spawns 4 Elite Mutons and 2 regular Mutons. A lifted and taunted Elite Muton dies in 1 shot from a Lightning Cannon on Veteran difficulty. Just a taunted(tunnel vision) Elite Muton takes anywhere's from 30ish to 75ish% damage depending on shot placement(headshots ftw). Commander difficulty is probably about the same because I haven't noticed damage differences between the 2, just more enemies, better enemies, and of course the stabilization only of downed squaddies. I'm actually finding Commander easier so far but that's definitely because I know what I'm doing now.

Yep, I can confirm on Commander difficulty it's a 1 shot kill on a lifted/taunted Elite Muton(headshot to be safe). So easy not a single agent even came close to death. All that turret and mine spamming or whatever is so unnecessary. As far as 2 fire missions, 3 grenades, 2 critical strikes and a rotary plasma spam to kill an elite muton vs. 1 shot from a Lightning Cannon seems pretty clear. The Blaster Launcher works great too.

Edit:

*I should point out that the Gunner backpack is very useful if using the Blaster Launcher instead because not only does it increase clip capacity, but also spare ammo capacity. So instead of 3 in the clip and 6 in reserve, you will get 4 in the clip and 8 in reserve. On a lifted and taunted Elite Muton, 1 shot(3 ammo) will take away about 80ish% of its health, but if you have the Gunner backpack you will still have that 4th ammo left in the clip left for a follow up shot without having to reload. Therefore you killed an Elite Muton with 4 ammo as opposed to 6 because you wouldn't have to reload and waste the extra ammo. Now you still have 8 ammo left for the second Elite Muton.

Edited by PromoteViolence

I'm wondering if I'm missing something because on Cammander, after the 2 mutons and the rest of the guys are dead, I get a spawn of 6 mutons, 2 groups of 3. Died a few times trying to get a system that worked ok for these guys, and in my most recent game got the field down to two mutons and now 4 more have spawned in? This is ridiculous.

Ugh. Thanks, can't believe I missed that. I ran over to the blue shield but couldn't get in so figured I had to win the battle first. Only consolation is that I'm an expert at fighting Mutons now! You're right that the Commando is quite useful, I paired him up with a recon at the end.

• 3 weeks later...