How many Onyx Medals do you have?

iiDaRReN316x

I onyx'ed Wingman a while back and the best settings I've found for it is to set the score to 10 (duh), disable all weapons, friendly fire off, bleed-out time to 10 or 20, and hardcore bots. If you have an extra controller, sign in a guest and set the game for 2 vs. 2. You and your guest against two hardcore bots. MAKE SURE BOTH TEAMS ARE COG TEAMS. This is important because the two COG teams usually spawn close to each other making it easier for the bots to find and kill you.

Some people like to enable all boomshots, but I haven't found any consistent and/or significant time difference in doing that. When there are no weapons on the field, the bots tend to go straight to you, and not to the weapon spawn, then back to you.

You want to do Hardcore bots and not Insane bots because insane bots tend to be more survival-oriented (taking excessive cover, rolling, etc.) while hardcore bots are more goal-oriented, which means they will go straight in for the kill.

With these settings you can do a match (which has to be four rounds) in around seven and a half minutes on average, depending on the size of the map and how far apart you are from the enemy team, of course. It took me weeks to idle boost this with my Xbox on all day and night.

Good luck.

-M

Also, I think I have 35 onyx medals, but I am quitting this game right after I re-up my second time for the "Again!" achievement.

Even though I consider myself an achievement whore, I still have standards. The "Seriously" achievements in the Gears franchise is one that I looked long and hard in the face and said: "fuck that." Sometimes you just have to do it. There are way too many awesome games out there for me to be stuck with the most boring of all grind-fests (3,000 kills with the Hammerburst and pistols?!) that sometimes, you just have to say "no." This is where I draw the line.

I played Gears 1 for like over six months and checked my online kills: 2,367. Needed for "Seriously"= 10,000. Me: "fuck that"

Gears 2 came along and now all of your kills counted towards the new "Seriously 2.0" achievement. I got my hopes up, and then I checked my kills after going through the campaign dozens of times and playing online for what seemed like ages. My total kill count was just over 13,000. Needed for Seriously 2.0= 100,000. Me: "fuck that"

Now Gears 3 comes along and I've been playing it pretty regularly for the past 9 months and I am just over halfway to getting 65 onyx medals. I think you know what my answer is going to be if you tell me that I have to spend another 9 months getting the other half of the onyx medals, especially since I’ve already done the fun and/or easy ones.

-M

Thanks mate, I'll give that a go.

The thing I hate about Seriously 3.0 is how you pretty much HAVE to boost to get it. Gears of War is the game I've always played since I've had a 360. I've played Gears 3 solid since its come out. I've Onyxed most medals by just playing the game online. But for game modes, I'm nowhere near.

I've only boosted a bit of the game modes, I'm nearly done on Warzone and Execution and TDM I'm halfway (though I've played all those games online). Wingman, CTL and KOTH will need to be boosted as there's no way I'm play 3,000 of each of them. Its ridiculous. The medal should have been just play 5,000 games overall or something. Its not skillful or being a massive Gears fan playing all game modes an insane amount of times and getting lots of kills with each weapon.

That being said, I am more eager than ever to unlock Seriously 3.0. Like I said before, I've been playing Gears of War solid since 2006. Its the game I associate myself with, the game I'm best at and the game I enjoy the most. I completed Seriously 1 and 2 very quickly because all it involved was just playing the game and EVENTUALLY it unlocking. I've been in no rush at all in getting Seriously 3.0 as I know that the majority of medals would unlock eventually. But now I'm starting to aim towards certain medals as I've pretty much unlocked everything I can by playing.

Hopefully I unlock it in 2013, although I just don't see myself getting those 3,000 wingman matches done anytime soon.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 29/65 onyx medals with all matches played to onyx. I left my Xbox on for approximately 4 months just idling matches n felt no symptoms that my Xbox was going to break. My recommendation to prevent problems with Xbox would be to keep Xbox in well ventilated spot to keep nice cool airflow for system n download game to HD so Xbox doesn't have to work so hard to play game. Just FYI I also have the old school white Xbox. Had it for 6 years now with no problems. Good luck to all going for this achievement.

• 2 weeks later...

Upto 13 now. All the Beast ones are done (Just have to do one more game to get two ribbons). Got a good chunk of the Horde ones done which im planning to finish off and get the rest of the linked acheivements

Haven't really played much GOW3 since the new year after trying to finish off several other games but im going back into it tomorrow.

Wingman & Save the leader on capture are the ones i see taking the longest to do. Tempted to play most of them so i can get the weapons medals done and pick up alot of other bits. I have left the Xbox on for some several hour time periods to do Wingman with the suggested match set ups but im still only on 209 games.

• 2 weeks later...

I am at 41/65. Latest unlock is captor.

I posted this in another thread, but haven't had a response yet. Maybe I will get lucky here.

I've never had two Xbox 360s to work with in the past, but I am buying a second one very, very soon thanks to some extra income (and the fact that my fiancée always wants the TV when I want to use it...). I was wondering what kind of things I can easily boost by myself with two consoles. I am at 41/65 onyx. Medals I still need to work on include:

-Starting weapon, pistol, heavy weapon, explosive kills

-Headshots

-Executions/curbstomps

-Skunker

-Guardian (rescue leader)

-KOTH, TDM, Wingman matches

-First bloods

I am sure this has been posted about before (and I am sifting through posts), but I figured it might be a better use of my time to just post.

Thanks in advance for any help!

15 now with about three more nearly done that im going to try to get sorted over the weekend. Still got alot to do on the Arcade so thats the next thing after finishing off Horde mode.

On the grinding the games out from today im concentrating on KOTH leaving my Xbox on while im at work. Should have that sorted by next week. After that im thinking Wingman and however long that will take. The other game modes im trying to play to tie in with other medals like capture / rescue the leader etc. Still going to be a massive slog to get this done.

With the weapons i was wondering what people though was the best way to go. Concentrate on one weapon or just use what you pick up in games?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still on 15. Got quite alot of stuff done on other ones but its taking forever. Even with the recommended method im only still managing to get 75 wingman matches done per day leaving my Xbox on while im in work. Should hopefully get it to over 1000 done by Friday. Got nearly 2000 matches on KOTH but again thats taken ages.

New plan is work on it hard till Judgement comes out and then take a break from it. Simple fact is ive got a pile of good games ive hardly played and ive still got weeks of grinding left to do. Not looking forward to doing the Skunker ones and the Rescue The Leader on Capture The Leader.

I am looking for a group to boost some onyx versus medals with. I can sign in two controllers for private match boosting. I will leave my box running while I sleep so other people can get free kills and vice versa. Message me on XBL for quicker response thanks.

My GT: LegendKiLLa20

Medal count 40/65

Just give up already. Why would you bother trying to get completion on this old game.

If you haven't achieved by now then it just isn't going to happen for you.

Haven't you heard about the newest addition to the gears-universe?

Judgment is coming. Get ready to collect COG-tags, onyx medals, stars and do a re-up at least twice.

The change of scenery will be good for you.