Tips to have a headstart.

theworldfan

I recently bought this game due to my friends suggesting that I play it.

I tried to play it the other day and it just seemed all too overwhelming, I really like the game and I would like to get into it.

Can anyone give me ANY tips whatsoever, anything that will help me on my first playthrough?

Thanks.

A lot of people get overwhelmed when first playing Bethesda's games.

I suggest, finding Megaton as soon as you leave the Vault. It's not far away. And then after exploring the town, start exploring the area around the town. Stay away from the DC ruins until you've leveled up a little bit, the Super Mutants can be tough when just starting.

Explore and talk to people whenever you can... a lot of people will give you quests, and completing quests gives you loads of XP. Also, pick a combat skill early on and stick to it. Personally, I enjoy guns. So I usually put all of the skill points I'm willing to spend on combat into the Small Guns skill. You don't want to put all of your points into Energy Weapons and then use a Golf Club as your primary weapon. Once you've chosen which weapons you like most, feel free to sell all the rest that you find for extra caps. The fastest way to make money in Fallout is to remember where the enemies usually hang out, and frequently loot those locations for all of the armor and weapons you can carry. Then sell it to merchants. Whenever I first start playing, I visit Springvale School. It's just down the road from Megaton... to the south. There are a lot of Raiders there that low level players can easily kill and loot.

You can also get merchants to repair your gear before selling your loot, which gives you a win/win situation.

There aren't really any other tips to give though. The beauty of the game is found in figuring out what to do on your own. Everyone plays the game a little differently... it's up to you to figure out which way is the most fun for you.

I recently bought this game due to my friends suggesting that I play it.

I tried to play it the other day and it just seemed all too overwhelming, I really like the game and I would like to get into it.

Can anyone give me ANY tips whatsoever, anything that will help me on my first playthrough?

Thanks.

You could just try "staying on rails" so to speak, just follow the main quest for a while until you get your bearings. If you just started then the first thing you should probably do is go to Megaton, if you have the main quest selected it will give you a marker pointing you to the settlement. Beyond simple things like that I'm not sure what to tell you, Fallout 3 is a big game, the whole point is to walk out of the Vault and be overwhelmed, you're 19 (I think) and have never even seen the outdoors, so it's a shock, the sun burns your eyes and all you can see is the Wastes for miles.

Just keep playing, you'll love it once you figure things out, but don't do what I did and spoil the game for yourself (if you haven't already), I made the mistake of watching lots of YouTube videos of it and while the game was still great, I knew what was going to happen and that took a little something away.

If you have the DLCs, I would recommend you to go directly for the "Operation: Anchorage" questline. You'll get some level ups and nice equipment after completing this DLC, this will make your start far more comfortable.

Operation Anchorage is extremely difficult for low-leveled players. especially if they're just starting out. I can barely get through Anchorage before hitting level 10, so I'd consider that bad advice.

Do not listen to anyone that tells you to play the DLC first!!!

Enjoy the game, explore.. if you play the DLC first you will get equipment that is so powerful you will not gain the pleasure of exploration that fallout has to offer.

When you "escape" go to megaton...do about 2 of the main quest and then start exploring. Scavenge everything you can find and sell them for bottlecaps and better equipment.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: do NOT ruin the game by searching sites for clues and tips to advance and level up and get through the game quick...i promise you that if you just play casually and enjoy the game you will not regret it...this is truelly one of the best games I have ever played. Do not ruin it but seeking other peoples advice (paradoxically as I give advice), but play the game you want to and enjoy it.

Operation Anchorage is extremely difficult for low-leveled players. especially if they're just starting out. I can barely get through Anchorage before hitting level 10, so I'd consider that bad advice.

It isn't at all, at least it wasn't for me and for one of my mates, who did the same, when he just got the GOTY. I wouldn't recommend that, If I wasn't 100% sure that it is possible from my own experience and from other's ;). Of course, you can't run and gun like a maniac. Imho, it's not an easy option, but it's the option to get a headstart. But hey, each to their own.

Edited by Warstorm Lord

Best place to start is at Megaton, if you deal with their bomb anyway you want to, you can net yourself a house at the end of that quest-line. A great place to store anything you pick up on your travels around the wasteland. If you get the Megaton house, buy a style pack as soon as possible, you'll get a ton of extra items from any pack.

Also, use your books AFTER you get the comprehension perk. 2 Skill points are better than 1.

Edited by CHIRUNO99

It isn't at all, at least it wasn't for me and for one of my mates, who did the same, when he just got the GOTY. I wouldn't recommend that, If I wasn't 100% sure that it is possible from my own experience and from other's ;). Of course, you can't run and gun like a maniac. Imho, it's not an easy option, but it's the option to get a headstart. But hey, each to their own.

*shrug*

I don't believe you.

I never said I thought it was impossible. I said it was difficult, and that telling others to complete one of the harder DLCs as soon as they exit the Vault is foolish.

I really couldn't care less if you have done it or not. I was making a point that has obviously gone over your head. And now I'm done with it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I recommend that you travel to Megaton first and consider following the main quest storyline until you are more comfortable with the game. Also I'd speak with Moira at Megaton's Craterside Supply. She will open up some light-duty side-quests that will help you to level up and explore some of the wasteland in a very organized and manageable way.

Early on, I would recommend using your skill points to boost Small Arms, Repair, Lockpick, and Speech, in that order. You will have plenty of time to upgrade the other skills later and figure out your individual playstyle, but having at least 75 in those will set you up for success. There are other methods including perks, etc that can boost skills and SPECIAL stats so I don't recommend using your level-up points to max them directly.

Make sure you choose your perks wisely. Try and choose perks that will assist you in many different situations and throughout the whole game. There are some perks that can be a little limited in scope and will feel like a bad decision later. Gun Nut X3 is a good starter to increase both Small Guns and Repair by 5 points each per rank. I also recommend Educated and Comprehension.

Remember to use your compass and Pipboy. The HUD compass, local and world maps all have quest markers that are incredibly helpful when navigating such a vast world. Just make sure the correct quest is selected. You can also fast travel to previous locations on the world map screen to save considerable time.

Use VATS. Headshots are the way to go. It will save you ammo and stimpaks.

Save regularly and load them accordingly. Also, if you are being killed too often, don't be afraid to change the game difficulty. The game will not penalize you and it doesn't affect achievements.

When in doubt: simply explore, talk to everyone you meet, and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...