The Staff of Herding

Drias

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great description how to get the staff, cheers!

Also, the developers must have been high on acid when they did this level. There is no other explanation! :eek:

Back when the game was being developed for PC, a noisy group of blow hards were continually complaining that the sample images they saw of D3 were too bright and not "Diablo" enough. Likewise, they felt that the game mechanics were being too dumbed down.

So Blizzard retaliated by making the secret level child-like and bright and "cheery" (given that the die hards were complaining that the game was like thar).

For the record, the "potion" to clear dyes has a quote from Idiocracy: It is what plants crave.

Got my Infernal Staff and tried a few runs in the pony level on Inferno Master 1.. the drop rates on "legendaries" are no different.. Don't see how ppl can farm on this level.. it's just like any other level.. "random is random".. not "any better"..

It was supposed to drop better loot, IE instead of ilvl 61, it would be ilvl 63, because the enemies were supposed to be a higher level, but that was forever ago, and what it really is anymore, I won't know until I get there.

Got my Infernal Staff and tried a few runs in the pony level on Inferno Master 1.. the drop rates on "legendaries" are no different.. Don't see how ppl can farm on this level.. it's just like any other level.. "random is random".. not "any better"..

Just for a change of scenery, really. Drop rates should be the same as anywhere else in the game assuming it's mostly the same as the PC version.

Quote from a developer interview from when 1.0.3 was released about the Whimsyshire loot here: (Source)

Specifically, the monsters in hell are considered act IV hell monsters, and the monsters in Inferno are Act III/IV Inferno monsters.

Just for a change of scenery, really. Drop rates should be the same as anywhere else in the game assuming it's mostly the same as the PC version.

Quote from a developer interview from when 1.0.3 was released about the Whimsyshire loot here: Specifically, the monsters in hell are considered act IV hell monsters, and the monsters in Inferno are Act III/IV Inferno monsters.

Ah ok. So it just bumps up the difficulty.. Guess I made the right decision to never go back to that place to farm. Overall I go through the campaign so many times and I get legendaries left and right.

Can you get another one if you already had one? I made one and during Nightmare I went back to normal to farm Whimsyshire on increasing difficulties to look for designs then got bored and returned to nightmare act 3. I definitely put it in my storage chest cause it was still there every time I was dropping off pages and gems and it always appear at basically the top. Just now after doing the larder I went to dump said gems and pages and it was gone!!! To says I'm p1sed off is an understatement!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read on many websites that there is only one way to obtain the plans for Staff of Herding which is Act IV. This is INCORRECT.

I obtained the plan in Act II. It was in the Desolate Sands when you find the ANCIENT DEVICE. This area is also used for the challenge Wheel of Misfortune.

When you press A on the Ancient Device one scenario you may get is a room with a bunch of CHICKENS and 1 PIG. Kill the pig. It dropped the Staff of Herding plans for me the first time.

I have read on many websites that there is only one way to obtain the plans for Staff of Herding which is Act IV. This is INCORRECT.

I obtained the plan in Act II. It was in the Desolate Sands when you find the ANCIENT DEVICE. This area is also used for the challenge Wheel of Misfortune.

When you press A on the Ancient Device one scenario you may get is a room with a bunch of CHICKENS and 1 PIG. Kill the pig. It dropped the Staff of Herding plans for me the first time.

Never heard of that before, interesting. I had also only ever known Izual to drop it.

Do you have any evidence on this claim? I've googled it and have not found any catches on it. =/

Ugh never gonna find the gemstone.

Played that cave so much already and never encountered the right creature.

Does it matter what difficulty it's on?

Have you tried not destroying the catapaults and whatnot before entering the caverns? I didn't see Chiltara when I destroyed any of them on my way to the caverns. The first time I didn't destroy them she appeared and dropped them

Ugh never gonna find the gemstone.

Played that cave so much already and never encountered the right creature.

Does it matter what difficulty it's on?

It doesn't matter which difficulty it is on. I used 3-4 hours before I got the right enemy to appear in the Cave. It's pretty random and you are really lucky if you get it on your first try.