The Problem(s) With Snipers

I agree, including the Gold Medal Achievements was not a really good idea since it forces people to play in a certain way. They should have rather made the achievement get 5 Gold Medals or something like that.

it's the only reason i bother with recon. stupid achievements!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree overall with what you say but it does depend on the sniper and the team.

Some people who go recon (not many), get kills and help pin down and watch peoples backs around an objective while team mates plant.

They also move close, provide mortar support on the objective when planting on rush for example.

However this is so in the minority. Mainly you end up with people just looking for kills while the game runs down.

What I cant stand (repetition from most people)

1. I HATE joining a game where 3 people are Recon AND they cant hit a COWS A*** from 6 ft with a sniper rifle!

2. When your trying to plant and everyone is sniping and you cant do anything BECAUSE they are all sniping

3. People who think they are ace snipers who have to hit you 5-6 to kill you

4. Guys who use the same spot AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN

In some games if someone keeps sniping me Ill go recon and blow them away say 5-6 times then Ill change class and be something else. That or Ill use recon and go assault wookie.

this video isn't me, but I did this exact same thing to a sniper last night - super funny.

Wish all snipers would get that treatment, was funny lol I wanna try that, strange how the sniper didn't move atall in the time the guy sent him the message :/ trick worked I guess, good stuff..

Edited by Barad

SNIPERS ARE USEFUL just not more than to or three to a team. I have 32 ace player pins as an m-24 sniper. I am sick of this on going debate. It's the people not the class. Someone mentioned taking it out wouldn't make much of a difference. Umm wrong. Do you guys like how the enemy is lit up for you. Thats me doing that. (40+ spot assist a round) or how about the guy whose arming the M com, whoops hes dead. Me again. Stop blaming the game or saying it's useless, blame the player. As for putting limits on how many players can choose a class. That would ruin Battlefield. I never play as assault unless I'm C-4ing a crate. Imagine how mad you would be if everyone filled the spots for engineer when you see a tank roll up as you get ready to spawn. This "useless sniper debate" is about as relevent as the medics that don't throw health for anyone but themselves or revive. Assault goes without saying or the engineer that just looks at you Uav or tank and says what do I do now. Like I said it's the player not the class. rant over

SNIPERS ARE USEFUL just not more than to or three to a team. I have 32 ace player pins as an m-24 sniper. I am sick of this on going debate. It's the people not the class. Someone mentioned taking it out wouldn't make much of a difference. Umm wrong. Do you guys like how the enemy is lit up for you. Thats me doing that. (40+ spot assist a round) or how about the guy whose arming the M com, whoops hes dead. Me again. Stop blaming the game or saying it's useless, blame the player. As for putting limits on how many players can choose a class. That would ruin Battlefield. I never play as assault unless I'm C-4ing a crate. Imagine how mad you would be if everyone filled the spots for engineer when you see a tank roll up as you get ready to spawn. This "useless sniper debate" is about as relevent as the medics that don't throw health for anyone but themselves or revive. Assault goes without saying or the engineer that just looks at you Uav or tank and says what do I do now. Like I said it's the player not the class. rant over

That’s why I pointed out my stats first – out of 1,200+ games played, everything I said in the OP is how I see snipers playing. Saying it’s the player and not the class is actually irrelevant, because whether you think it’s the player or the class the bottom line is that the CLASS is what allows the player to play like that…i.e, in a fashion that does not help the team/squad in anything other than a tiny way, as I stated originally.

Yes, sniper can be useful – last night I was playing as assault with a friend who was playing as a sniper but using the VSS (which, lets be honest, is essentially an assault rifle not a sniper weapon) with a red dot, we were running around behind enemy lines doing quite well, the VSS is powerful and he was throwing motion mines non-stop while I resupplied him.

And, in case the not-so-subtle point I was making there somehow escaped you ---- he, the SNIPER, was operating in an ASSAULT capacity, the only reason he was using the sniper class was so we could utilize the sniper's one and only truly beneficial feature; the motion mine. He wasn't picking targets off at a distance like a marksman, he was swapping bullets with the enemy at close range.

I stick to my original sentiment: snipers are not useful and, more often than not, are a detractor and a liability to the team in terms of attaining victory.

The sniper CAN be useful. But how often is it ACTUALLY useful? Well, again, out of 1,200+ games played, the answer is “almost never”

Same lol i thought the guy would shoot the tracer dart in the snipers face when he turns around then the other guy to the right shoots the sniper. Would have been funnier :p

if only an engineer was there. it would have been mad funny. the guy places the tracer on the sniper, the sniper turns around, engineer kills him with a rocket

honestly think the best thing would be a limit to the amount of snipers allowed on a team....like 3 per team at most.

I been saying this for years ! And it also goes for EVERY game to be made.

this pretty much sums it up

[/url]

This is the SHIT ! and ABSOLUTELY TRUE !!!!!

this video isn't me, but I've done this exact same thing to a sniper - super funny.

CLASSIC !!!

Now for my 2 cents. Snipers are USELESS ! well the weapons certainly are. if its not a headshot it takes like 4 or 5 bullets to take them out. meanwhile they are running at top speed across the map killing someone else? the vietnam gold star achieve is KILLING me. i cant snipe to save my life with the M40. 84 kills to go til the recon class is done and at an average of 3 kills per game...(insert your own comment here). it better be a headshot because if you dont kill him, he's gonna kill you. i hate it. i'd rather do that crappy huey achievement again rather than get 300 kills with sniper rifles. i could spit on people and kill them faster than these rifles.

That’s why I pointed out my stats first – out of 1,200+ games played, everything I said in the OP is how I see snipers playing. Saying it’s the player and not the class is actually irrelevant, because whether you think it’s the player or the class the bottom line is that the CLASS is what allows the player to play like that…i.e, in a fashion that does not help the team/squad in anything other than a tiny way, as I stated originally.

Yes, sniper can be useful – last night I was playing as assault with a friend who was playing as a sniper but using the VSS (which, lets be honest, is essentially an assault rifle not a sniper weapon) with a red dot, we were running around behind enemy lines doing quite well, the VSS is powerful and he was throwing motion mines non-stop while I resupplied him.

And, in case the not-so-subtle point I was making there somehow escaped you ---- he, the SNIPER, was operating in an ASSAULT capacity, the only reason he was using the sniper class was so we could utilize the sniper's one and only truly beneficial feature; the motion mine. He wasn't picking targets off at a distance like a marksman, he was swapping bullets with the enemy at close range.

I stick to my original sentiment: snipers are not useful and, more often than not, are a detractor and a liability to the team in terms of attaining victory.

The sniper CAN be useful. But how often is it ACTUALLY useful? Well, again, out of 1,200+ games played, the answer is “almost never”

Wow, you really are one sighted and havent read his post. In your OP you were complaining about snipers and how they dont use any of their special abilities.

Like this guy says and my own experience after 130 hours online, its the same for EVERY class! 130 hours online and i can count the times i've been revived by a medic on 1 hand! I'm in a tank and when i get damaged i have to look at all my teams engineers run everywhere BUT my tank to repair it! The only time i see an assualt class throw ammo is on the very first flag in conquest, when nobody has even fired one shot.

The only thing that holds true is that they are far away on the map and if you spawn on them you have to walk a bit, well boohoo...

Its more of witch hunt on snipers because NOBODY plays the classes like they are supposed to be played.

It's no wonder DICE felt sorry for us and gave us the Hastings map on Vietnam early, because they knew that if they waited for us to get the 69 mil squad points legit we might have gotten the new map somewhere in 2012...

The only time i see an assualt class throw ammo is on the very first flag in conquest, when nobody has even fired one shot.

i've seen that a lot lately. no one is throwing ammo box anywhere. when you are playing as an engineer, you pretty much run out of ammo especially if you are going for that specact achievement. i either have to take someone's kit, try to knife someone or suicide :mad:

Right, having got my 15g recon spectate achievement last night I would like to add my views on the sniper class.

First off, I detest sniping. I get so bored sitting in the same position waiting for the kill and even with the m95 being so powerful you still gave to be deadly accurate with a headshot to get a one shot kill. I was not looking forward to trying for the achievement and that's why it was left till last.

Having now played a sufficient amount of time in recon class I can honestly say I can totally see where it's place is in the grand schem of things now and I actually had a blast playing as recon.

I usually prefer assault class with a 4x scope so I can do a mixture of running around to capture flags and some medium range sniping whilst defending. I applied this to recon and actually found it worked really well.

Once you know the maps well enough what I was doing is rushing to the first (nearest) flag with my team and capturing it. Then I would chuck a few motion mines down around the flag in key positions then collect the ammo to restock (which as someone mentioned normally always gets chucked out on the first flag). I would then head to the next flag, all this time I'm isn't my pistol not the sniper. If my team are on the ball we would usually get the second flag, more motion mines chucked down and then I would find a suitable position between the 2 captured flags so I could see them both. I would then attempt to pick off anyone going near these two flags. As soon as one of the flags would start to flash I would aim the mortar to cover as wide an area as I could around the flag then scope it out and puck off more targets. If the flag continued to drop and I couldn't see anyone I would order the squad to it and switch to my pistol and head down there to get up close.

I found this method worked really well. It stopped me getting bored just sitting around and I massively improved my aiming and shooting from a distance and by the last 5 or so matches last night I was getting very decent scores (top 5 in the team) and always a +positive K/D with most games looking like 15-20/5-10. I even popped the pistol kills achievement as I was getting pretty good with that as well.

Overall the sniper can be good but what really let's a squad down is stupidity. Why dies everyone go for yhe same flag all the time? I understand this on the first 2 but split into 2 teams if two and attack separately if your under pressure to split the enemy up. Plus if your a medic or assault, throw your damn packs out to keep your team healthy and full of ammo and engineers, if the tank is taking damage don't run off, get out and fix it.

This game does work best when your in a party talking to your squad, otherwise it can be frustrating and at times I've thought "ok, fuck the dumb cunts, their either rubbish or don't care about winning" and it's times like this I do play for my K/D but most of the time if you play to win your K/D will be good anyway.

EDIT: sorry for the poor grammer/spelling, typed that wall of text on my iPhone and either predictive spelt a different word or my clumsy fingers pushed the wrong button. Can't edit this post properly on the iPhone.

Edited by OptimusPrime76

I'll say one problem with snipers in this expansion is the weapons. The M40 is nice.. if it's a headshot, it's as good as dead. With the middle one (name escapes me) it'll take 2 if not 3 shots to down a person at long range. Even with headshots. I've probly missed out on at least 25 kills with this gun because people can find cover before I can sink a 3rd or even 4th bullet into them. Driving me nuts.