Why is the racing in this game so F'ing bad???

CGPsaint

I am trying to wrap up the racing missions and I can't seem to bring myself to keep trying to do these piss poor races. I swear that the vehicles handle similar to humping a doorknob. I mean seriously, what is the point of adding racing to this game??? I have looked everywhere and can't find a brightness setting because trying to race at night is a lost cause. Trying to drive around or through all of the traffic is a lost cause. Maybe this game should be called "Lost Cause!" Anyways, if you have any tips that will help me get through these, please post here.

While I'm ranting, I would also like to ask this question. I am trying to knock out the 50 Side Missions so I am doing as the guide said and I am taking Side Missions from the Defense Headquarters. Why is it that if they send you out to do a mission that they shoot at you when you return???? WTF sense does that make???

lol, yes it is, but i'm dutch.. It's a word we don't use often and you spell it like this: Schmutzig. You can probably translate it to 'crusty' best. But, back to your questions;

I am currently completing the races and the only one that frustrates me is #7. I want to use the gyro copter thing but the race countdown won't trigger.. I did most of the others with the gyro and it works. Just fly over the trees and stuff to the next checkpoint, go down in the red markers, otherwise you'll miss them. Just about the height where the white arrow is in the markers. This way, it's very easy..

I still have to do the side missions, but i will follow the method used in the guide for it. Why they shoot you? Who shoots at you? Check the bars at the left side on the screen, do you have a wanted level i some way?

I'm stuck on a few liberation missions.

Edit: I just finished race #7. Yesterday i attempted to start it for about 20 times, with no result. Today it worked on the first attempt. Maybe you have to save your game near #7, load it again and go straight to the start line.. Maybe it will work after resetting your XBox..? Weird..

Race #1 can't be done with the gyro..

I'm doing race #5 and I missed a jump and ended up landing below the ramp area where I am now stuck. Seeing as how I cannot get out of the area I have to reload my game and lose any progress since getting stuck. This game is a piece of sh*t. I really liked the first Mercenaries game which is why I picked this game up, but for the record, this is a very poor imitation of Merc 1 or 2. As soon as I am finished the game is going in the trade pile with the quickness...

Thanks for the previous replies. I just finished this game, and I must say that I wish I hadn't played it. It just isn't up to par with what I expect from an Xbox 360 game. Maybe an Xbox game, but certainly not an Xbox 360 game. This game has some of the worst cutscenes of any game that I can recall playing in recent memory. I mean seriously, the final cutscene... WTF was that all about ???? Anyways, this will be traded towards a real game. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2!

Sorry, but you finished it? Or did you finish the storyline? I agree with you that this game really sucks.. The final cut scene surprised me, 'cause i didn't follow it at all and suddenly i freefall from a plane stickin' an explosive to a guy. I remembered thinking, 'this can't be the last mission, it's too freaking easy!' But it was.. Conclusion: Storyline; entertaining but easy. Races; bunch off bullcrap. Liberations; 34 is quite a few, but most of them are easy. I am stuck on the last 4 or 5, which are all army bases or 'cities'. Liberations Rioja (Yellow ones); 45 are quite a few, but these are too easy when you use a helicopter with rocketlaunchers. Sidemissions; Pointless, useless, could be much better.. Please make Just Cause 2 a lot better then this one!

Maybe i'll try merc 2 out sometime soon, is it fun if your into sandbox games?

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the previous replies. I just finished this game, and I must say that I wish I hadn't played it. It just isn't up to par with what I expect from an Xbox 360 game. Maybe an Xbox game, but certainly not an Xbox 360 game. This game has some of the worst cutscenes of any game that I can recall playing in recent memory. I mean seriously, the final cutscene... WTF was that all about ???? Anyways, this will be traded towards a real game. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2!

Keep in mind that was a first generation game you just finished.

And yes, Mercenaries 2 is broken.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread I was dreading the race missions. I put them off until just before the final mission of the game. I have to say, some of you guys need learn to be patient. With the exception of race #7 I did them all within 2 or 3 tries. Some of them on the first attempt. They are incredibly easy!

As for race #7, either use a heavy duty vehicle of use the gyrocopter, its no problem at all.

• 1 month later...

Why would a game be off the hook if it was originally an xbox game? I seem to remember a bunch of amazing games from the previous generation...Halo: Combat Evolved, Thief: Deadly Shadows, KOTOR; just to name a few (I believe Eidos was responsible for Thief as well). This game is a piece of fecal matter, regardless of the system it's for, since a game is judged by and compared to the titles of its time. If Just Cause was the best they had to offer in 2006 or earlier, video games would be on the decline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're making it sound like an exact copy, though. Have you even tried the PS2 version? It's far worse to play than the Xbox 360 version. Graphically it sucked for a PS2 game too.

They made many changes to the PC and Xbox 360 version to address things, which made me really like this version (I hated it when I got on PS2).

Edited by Thorpe

• 2 months later...
After reading this thread I was dreading the race missions. I put them off until just before the final mission of the game. I have to say, some of you guys need learn to be patient. With the exception of race #7 I did them all within 2 or 3 tries. Some of them on the first attempt. They are incredibly easy!

As for race #7, either use a heavy duty vehicle of use the gyrocopter, its no problem at all.

Is race 7 the one which runs alongside the mountside on that narrow dirt path?

I've been trying that race for over 4 HOURS! Not solidly, but screwing up the race then having to try and loose my wanted level or reload a save and drive back there. I swear, everything that they could throw at you they do

Overly agressive Police ramming you off the road, easy to miss rocks on the roadside, winding path with multiple blind spots, cars driving into you.

I've tried with atleast 5 different vehicles of different sizes INCLUDING the heavy army truck, but each and everytime I either run out of time, fall off the path or my vehicle gets destroyed. I don't even know how close I am to the end of the race (furthest I've got is that tightish bend as you turn right)

I've turned on the PC purely to write this rant, sooooo mad right now. Its 2.30am.

Phuckin' race!

• 1 month later...

Getting the #7 Race is best done with the Gyrocopter(i tried pretty much most vehicles). Just make sure to use the savepoint just above the gas station to avoid any useless running around. Should you fail/die just load it up again and try again, once you past the first 2 o 3 checkpoints you should be golden =)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Scotty

this racing is a FUCKING joke. i cant believe how bad this racing or even this whole game is. theres no way im gonna get the second one now, even if its better, i cant stand when developers put racing in a non racing game, wtf is the point.