Rootin' Tootin' Lootin' Alternative Method (Quick Version)

Venomized

First I want to give thanks to XboX4Ever for posting the foundation of this method originally and Alice2183 for making a few things clear.

This method will help you find orange weapons within a short amount of time. I found 5 orange weapons doing this method though I only needed 3. The time varies for how long you will find a weapon. One time it was the very first chest I looked in (Mowen's Boat). Another time it took me 15 minutes. So on average for me it was about 8 mins.

You will need to have Chapter 15 unlocked or higher (to the best of my knowledge; this is what I did it on). The method I will describe is what I did precisely and exactly. Perhaps there are different things you can do and it will still work but I did not test other possibilities. Character selection may not matter but I am writing out the way I did it.

1. Start a new game and Choose Sam B. Select Chapter 15.

2. Once you spawn press Up on the D-pad and then drop all of you items in your inventory (which for me was only 3)

3. Press RB and apply the following skills under Survival: Recuperation (1) ---> Motivation (3) -----> Picklock (3) ------> Hardened (3).

The main point here is to just have Picklock maxed to Level 3. But like I said, I am writing it out the way I did it exactly. If you choose a different Character such as Logan or Purna, I would recommend putting points in the perks that allow them a better loot.

4. Go inside the Church and Fast Travel to Mowen's Boat, which is located under Laboratory.

5. Once you spawn on the boat, go inside the building beside you. One you enter the inside of the building there is a staircase. Go up the stair case and there should be a Level 3 Red Chest to the right.

6. Open the Chest and DO NOT grab the weapon if it is NOT orange. The weapon will be random between Green, Blue, Purple, and Orange. There will not be a specific order. If the weapon is orange skip to either Step 12 or 13.

7. Run to the fast travel which is near the boat. Fast travel to Resot, Bunker #02 which is located under Resort.

The helicopter crash was unfortunate...

8. Once you are inside the bunker go up the ladder that is inside the bunker. Once you get to the top there should be a Level 3 Red Chest to your right.

9. Follow Step 6.

10. Now if the weapon is not orange go to the fast travel and travel back to Mowen's Boat.

What, not even a "hello"?

11. Repeat Steps 5-10 until you find an orange weapon.

12. Skip this step if you don't want to try it, or if you do not have a partner. If you find an orange weapon there is 2 different ways to keep picking it up.

1) The first way is to have a friend join your game. Now have him or you "drop out" but stay in that part of the game. Now you can follow either of these two steps:

(a) Each of you can pick up the orange weapon, meaning both of you get progress towards it

(b) Only one of you picks up the weapon and then drops it. The person who picked it up quits to the main menu and then rejoin your friends game again. The weapon will still be there. And you just repeat the same thing. Drop out of game ---> Pick up weapon ----> Drop weapon ----> Quit to Main menu ---> Rejoin game. Repeat.

2) The other way for picking up the same weapon is to have either a automatic rifle or semi automatic (which is labelled as "single fire" in the game). You need two people. Have one friend shoot the chest right where the :xbut: is shown as quick as he can and do not stop until you have to reload (unless you have a hacked gun and do not need to reload). After the friend shoots the chest for 2 seconds pick up the orange weapon. You should now have an orange weapon and the orange weapon should still be in the chest. This is the duplicate glitch. You can keep repeating this. But make sure you stop picking up the weapon BEFORE he reloads. If you grab the weapon when he is not shooting the chest then you will take it and it will disappear from the chest.

13. Once you have the orange weapon quit the game.

14. Delete the save you used to get the weapon and start a new game again. Repeat all the steps over.

15. If for some reason you cannot find an orange weapon and it has been over 20-30 minutes, delete the save and restart your xbox. Then start from Step 1.

The methods in step 12 are confirmed.

I will be updating this thread more. I am just going to post it so this method is known as quick as possible.

Edited by Venomized

didnt work for me...

tried 2 times =/

how long did you try for and it doesnt always work which is why you restart your xbox. I tried 2 times in a row (20 min sessions) and didnt get a single one. Then I restarted my xbox (I actually took a 40 min break too) and on my next session about 15 mins in I got an orange weapon. It definitely works. At least for me, the other 2 people who said it worked on the other thread, and my few friends who tried it after I showed them (first handed in my game) the method.

Edited by Venomized

While it's obvious that locked chests have better loot on average than regular chests, someone has said before and i'm inclined to believe that all chests have the same chance to produce an orange item. So, make sure to open all 4 chests at the Resort 2 bunker, including the one through the passage with the suicider guarding it. 2/3 of my current Orange weapons came from unlocked chests while using the OP's method.

I have to echo the sentiments of others in saying that I managed to gain this cheev naturally before the end of Act II just by playing the game and checking every loot box.

i probably would have had it before finishing my first playthrough, but i ran into a little problem. i kept telling the guy i was playing with "I NEED ORANGE WEAPONS. you can have the weapon, i don't care, i just need to pick it up."

yet he kept picking it up, then walking over to me and trading/dropping it for me O.o so i ended up getting 3 in my first playthrough. i think he did it at least 3 times.

i probably would have had it before finishing my first playthrough, but i ran into a little problem. i kept telling the guy i was playing with "I NEED ORANGE WEAPONS. you can have the weapon, i don't care, i just need to pick it up."

yet he kept picking it up, then walking over to me and trading/dropping it for me O.o so i ended up getting 3 in my first playthrough. i think he did it at least 3 times.

Ah, see I have yet to do any co-op. I've been playing privately so I can learn the game and enjoy it for myself before expanding into doing any mp/co-op. I just made it to the jungle for the third time with Xian and am level 60.

I'll probably progress her as far as having to go to the prison (but won't go) and leave it there so if I need money I can just fast travel loot boxes and such and keep her ready for the Arena.

Next I have to start building the other three and try to polish off some random cheevs. So I'll probably start co-oping soon. Even then I'd rather arrange it ahead of time with someone rather than try to random it.

But I hate people, anyway. So for that reason I like to stick with people I know/meet via sites like this one and hope for the best.

Edited by Drucifer82

• 1 month later...

It works! Thanks very much. I used Sam B and did exactly as instructed. It took me longer than OP said but I still got it done. I only needed 3 more. I got 1 orange after 25 min, another in less than 5. The last one took me over an hour. I think it's all just luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Worked for me. Took around 30 minutes all in all to get it.

Before the patch my and my friends had found several orange weapons by just playing the game. Then when we hit the jungle area our game always crashed 100%. Then after the patch when we continued we had around 50% left of the game and we didn't find any orange weapons at all.

So thanks for the method, only needed one orange :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Using the method described in the OP, I have gotten two oranges so far. Just one difference. Instead of creating a new save file, I've just been using my existing Sam B, who is level 50. I tried the new save file method a few times and didn't get anything, trying for over 30 minutes. But by using my existing level 50 character, I have gotten an orange item in about 30 minutes each time.

I think the level of your character plays into it. a level 50 character is a little more likely to get an orange than a level 30. Other gamers have stated this on another site where we were discussing this same achievement.

• 1 month later...

Like all the other solutions outthere this one also is boring almost annoying.

The easiest way is to play the Arena till wave 30,

there will be a zombie carrying a ex. weapon all the time.

If you have trouble getting to wave 30, just hop in a few lobbies and there will be someone who is kind enough to dupe a "One Hit Kill Weapon" and you're good to go.

And, if you need 5 weapons it's 5 times wave 30, which will result in a heavy amount of Exp. and $$$ hwat makes level50/60 way easier.