Tips for campaign on hard?

RandonPeerson

I just finished all of it on hard and I struggled in the very beginning too (never did normal playthrough). My advice is patience and knowing when to counter.

When you face the mutant beasts, you can string LT+X together without interruption but as soon as you finish, you need to block or dodge. The real key is learning the patterns of the enemies. Mutant beasts are pretty simplistic and don't have much variety. I avoided using the LT+Y move due to it being so slow to use and it can miss more.

Human bosses, you can string combo: X,X, X, LT+X, LT+X, etc. Comes in handy and does decent damage. I found sometimes rushing down the human bosses is more effective than being patient and countering. Kinda just trial and error.

The only bosses I had problems were the Bull guy on Black side (first boss for me, ugh) and Douglas on Red side because after beating him you have to fight tons of mutant beasts =/

Another tip when fighting any boss: When you have Rampage available and click to use it, I always spammed the x/y button to attack. I never used LT+X or LT+Y because spamming x/y seemed to do more damage consistently. You have to break their guard to start doing damage but you can usually knock off half their life using this method.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions about certain levels/bosses, post again. I am sure myself or others will gladly offer assistance.

I posted about it in the achievement guide, but this seems to be a more appropriate thread and I've now calmed down enough to not want to break my disc lol.

Hard, White side, Durga and Garuda tag team fight. Give me a strategy with either Leo or Sasha because I'll be damned if everything I've tried with either of them is going to get me anywhere apparently. I have a quad rocket launcher item and I'm going in with full Rage meter...I've thought about trying to farm a couple more items, in particular the electric trap thing, but I know the fight can be done without items. I'm just obviously going about it the wrong way since my partner gets killed almost instantly and then I'm guard broken and juggled to death in the same combo without ever being able to recover.

I always used Leo in all the choice fights. My strategy was to focus on one, keep my distance, dodge, then counter and repeat. I was very patient and it made for a long match but you need to be good at dodging while knowing when you can interrupt them. Something simple that helped me was even if I attacked with a few X, X, X and they blocked, I would add a throw at the end of the string of attacks. Very rarely does the computer break throws. So even if they would guard my first few attacks, at least I would get some small damage in on them and then I can hover next to them when they are getting up to reattack (not even a word lol).

The only other thing I tried to utilize was when I had rampage, I would not use it until my life bar was almost empty. Milk the hell out of your life bar and only click rampage when you need to because when you are using it, you slowly regain health.

Just wait until you have to do the last level on each Red side ... ugh.

Hard, White side, Durga and Garuda tag team fight. Give me a strategy with either Leo or Sasha because I'll be damned if everything I've tried with either of them is going to get me anywhere apparently.

Are you sure you're a master ninja? Heheh.

You can always carry some items in there if you need to but it's not necessary, just make sure you're always blocking (Ninja Gaiden style) and if they start harassing your guard, dodge and jab with your basic X combo. If it's hitting them, add LT+X to the end of the combo as many times as you can to do tasty damage. If they are blocking your X barrage tap B. That's pretty much the strategy for fighting any playable characters.

If the opponent does his LT+Y and misses/you dodge, counter with your own. When your health is low, click dem sticks and rushdown.

If Sasha dies, get her on her feet ASAP or you'll just get gang raped. Might be a good idea to focus on killing Garuda first because he can grab two players at once...

Are you sure you're a master ninja? Heheh.

You can always carry some items in there if you need to but it's not necessary, just make sure you're always blocking (Ninja Gaiden style) and if they start harassing your guard, dodge and jab with your basic X combo. If it's hitting them, add LT+X to the end of the combo as many times as you can to do tasty damage. If they are blocking your X barrage tap B. That's pretty much the strategy for fighting any playable characters.

If the opponent does his LT+Y and misses/you dodge, counter with your own. When your health is low, click dem sticks and rushdown.

If Sasha dies, get her on her feet ASAP or you'll just get gang raped. Might be a good idea to focus on killing Garuda first because he can grab two players at once...

I'd like to think the Ninja Gaiden series is a bit different...and yes I am very good at them lol.

In any case, what you're describing is how I play already. But guarding is what gets me in trouble in this fight since they guard break and juggle me. I did see a suggestion to carry a signpost in though, which sounds like a good idea. I'm also artificially increasing my own difficulty by only finishing bosses, and there are two here, with my Killer Weapon. That makes it a bit trickier.

I posted about it in the achievement guide, but this seems to be a more appropriate thread and I've now calmed down enough to not want to break my disc lol.

Hard, White side, Durga and Garuda tag team fight. Give me a strategy with either Leo or Sasha because I'll be damned if everything I've tried with either of them is going to get me anywhere apparently. I have a quad rocket launcher item and I'm going in with full Rage meter...I've thought about trying to farm a couple more items, in particular the electric trap thing, but I know the fight can be done without items. I'm just obviously going about it the wrong way since my partner gets killed almost instantly and then I'm guard broken and juggled to death in the same combo without ever being able to recover.

Good news that fight is the hardest Leo faces. 2 characters in such a tiny space. Sasha excels at long rang so straight away disadvantage.

Go in with 1 or 2 rocket launchers and blast garuda. go super saiyan and win. its that simple. taking it legit on hard you get juggled and killed immediately. I platinumed every hard so trust me i fucking know how frustrating that mission was.

Oh and killing them with super saiyan or weapons for the achievement on hard is pretty tough. watch yourself

Edited by mr wong tong

Good news that fight is the hardest Leo faces. 2 characters in such a tiny space. Sasha excels at long rang so straight away disadvantage.

Go in with 1 or 2 rocket launchers and blast garuda. go super saiyan and win. its that simple. taking it legit on hard you get juggled and killed immediately. I platinumed every hard so trust me i fucking know how frustrating that mission was.

Oh and killing them with super saiyan or weapons for the achievement on hard is pretty tough. watch yourself

Yeah that's the only fight that gave me any sort of trouble through either campaign. I did not have rockets when I did it, just 2 shields (which are pretty useless in that fight). Rockets would have def. helped but while I was trying to get items they kept giving me stealth and shields over and over and I got tired of grinding for something better and just went for it.

Went in with full rampage used it right away on Garuda and got him cornered. Used my shields right after my rampage ran out and luckily Sasha was keeping Durga busy for long enough to finish off Garuda. Once I got Garuda out of the way Durga was no problem. Luckily you only have to do that once on Hard difficulty. Everything else was pretty easy after that.

Edited by Illicit

• 2 weeks later...

The electric trap is definitely the way forward. Throw both of em down from the scaffold bridge in front of them and then start the fight. Then throw everything at Garuda as he seems to go down much quicker.

The Douglas mission is probably the hardest battle in my opinion!

That Garuda/Durga fight was definitely a bitch. I went after durga first since he was already damaged. Go into rage mode and go at him. 70% of the time Sasha will attack him as well, this is when you get major damage on him. When my rage finished he literally had .005% of health. So I just hit him with a jab and he was done (of course he did manage to take away 3/4 of my health in one combo before I killed him). After hes done just rush Garuda and try to juggle him with your attacks while mixing in your weapon attacks. With Sasha also attacking his health will go down fast. I ended up with one life left and used no items.

I recommend starting Black side on hard, as that way you fight Jack at the end with no items or rage instead of fighting Leo. This is basically the only difference between the two campaigns that I can think of, as you have to do everything else in both regardless. Leo is a far harder fight even with items and rage than Jack is, and Jack is still pretty damn hard.

This way when you come back to fight Leo in stage select you can pick any of the characters you have unlocked so far, and a lot of them would be a better choice than Jack the tortoise :D

Durga/Garuda:

I concur with Manny.

I always used Sasha, I don't think it really matters. Just use whoever you like. It may also be that Sasha's AI is not so good for this fight, in which case human control would be a big benefit. I never had much trouble with Leo staying alive.

I also go for Durga first. He starts out injured from the beginning of the match, so he's easier to take down first. If you can, make sure you wail on him with your killer weapon during that first part when he's flying around. The more damage you do there the better off you are.

In the second part, use your rampage right away. Just mash X on Durga; eventually his guard will break. With your partner also going offensive, you will often get to land your second rampage combo without him recovering and guarding again. You should be able to kill or near kill Durga very fast this way, and then team up on Garuda.

If your super lucky, both of them will hide in the same corner, and you can rampage both of them at the same time. Makes the fight crazy easy that way.

If your going for the bonus points from a big finish, then use a throw. It gives as many points and is a lot easier to connect with for me.

I actually thought there were far harder fights than this one. Maybe I just got lucky. The regular Durga fight gave me way more trouble. Not to mention Douglas, or black side's gargoyle squadron. That fight almost cost me a controller.

• 7 months later...

I just confirmed that you can unlock the hard mode achievements entirely by stage select. I unlocked all the missions on normal then went back into stage select and beat all the events again in hard mode. Boom achievement unlocked! NOTE: THIS DOES NOT GET YOU THE STAGE COMPLETE ACHIEVEMENTS FOR HARD MODE.

Personally I never like playing through a game on hard the first time. I find that learning the game on normal and learning whats coming is invaluable to tackling harder difficulties. I suggest this method since you can use whichever character you want.

My Hard Mode Tips:

.Sasha - I prefer Sasha because of her long range strong weapon attack. I found it useful in certain battles. She is also nice to look at...

.Signs OP! - In most of the areas you can find street signs, skull posts, or whatever that can be jabbed into a characters head. It doesn't do much for beasts but it can incapacitate most playable bosses for as long as 2 strong killer weapon attacks. And after it falls to the side and you can jab it in again. Once you know where these fights will take place, take one of those objects and bring it to the environment(if there is not one already.) Throw it in the corner, start the fight and it should be there for you during the fight.

.Grappling OP! - I don't often grab opponents in fighting games. But other gamers here have suggested doing grabs(throws) to get a little bit of damage. This works well as the AI rarely counters grabs. Its also nice to get the momentary breather from the fight that the animation offers. And you can often get in extra hits as they recover.

Edited by UPR Captain

• 9 months later...