Better than Fitness Evolved???

stevedb79

The games are actually quite different.

I gave a lot of details about the game in THIS thread.

I like EA Sports Active 2 more than Your Shape: Fitness Evolved because of the variety of workouts/exercises. Like I said in the other thread --- my opinion, of course --- YS:FE seems like a warm-up when compared to this game.

If you are active and in-shape, the achievements are quite easy for both --- which is an added bonus! :)

Edited by xMac73
Formatting error

• 1 month later...

i bought this game today, and i have to say, if you are looking for something to make you work up a sweat then this is defiantly the better choice.

my opinion is kind of one sided due to the fact that i only have experienced Sports active and not the YF. But from videos of people doing the work outs in YF it doesn't look as good as Sports active.

Sports active defiantly got my heart racing and my blood pumping.

Plus its a good investment, its better than going to a gym due to the subscription fees and all the other qualms that come with going to a gym, whereas with Sports active, you can work out whenever you want. It may be a bit expensive, but defiantly worth the while if you want to get fit.

Honestly, I really like both of them. EA is definately not for beginners. I can't even do some of the exercises they put in the light cardio category. I do have more gripes about the Sports Active game than Your Shape. For instance, some of the floor exercises, the Kinect is not good with, and it seems a number of the stand up exercises are iffy with the Kinect. Its almost like they threw together Kinect support for it at the last minute. Your Shape seems to be made for the Kinect however. Lastly, YS (in my opinion) seems like they could have added a bit more to the disc, whereas the Sports Active has quite a bit more going for it.

• 1 month later...

EA Active will give you harder routines and more freedom, as well as keep you interested and enthusiastic about continuing your exercises, not skipping days, and viewing your stats/progress, etc...even compete with a friend and keep viewing each others stats.

However, the Kinect support feels like it was thrown on last minute.

It can barely even detect me ducking during dodgeball.

The boxing is a bit iffy, with it thinking I missed the huge punching bag a foot away from my face somehow for a lot of the left hooks and crouching punches.

The ground exercises are just AWFUL. Even when it finally does register you, it might cutout in the middle of the workout for no reason. Most of the time it just thinks that when you did one pushup, you did 5...which is fine, because I just keep doing as many as I can regardless until the next exercise starts (don't cheat yourself!)

The menu interface with the Kinect is atrocious, too. It always thinks my hand is super shaky. The layout of things is just poor too, mostly compared to Your Shape, which has one of the best menu interface i've ever seen.

Your Shape...is the game to show people when you want to show them how well the Kinect can sense your movements. Yes, it's that polished and flawless.

It has never...ever messed up on me.

However, if you aren't mirroring your trainer exactly, you'll get a lower percentage score; it wants you to be on a super perfect rhythm with them, which is annoying...It's no big deal, because these percentages really mean nothing(theyre for personal reference i guess?), they just aggravate people I'm sure. The music makes it really easy to stay on beat with the trainers pace. Seriously, it's so amazing how well sync'd the music and bass beats are.

So, Active also allows more freedom to do things at your own pace, (pushups are a perfect example)...whereas Your Shape has a set pace; the trainers. If you dont have the energy to do something as fast as he's doing it, then your percentage will take a hit. Like I said, it's trivial, but it kind of spoils the mood for me.

Your Shape has no ground exercises, and this is the reason it's the weaker game in terms of pure exercise.

If you want to improve your health most efficiently, and dont care about an occasionally glitchy experience, get EA Active.

If you want a polished, less annoying experience,with weaker and less routines, YS is the game for you.

The terrible Kinect support on Active will slow you down during an intense routine sometimes, maybe even for 10 - 20 seconds...But the routine will still be more intense than YS, because YS has slow loading between exercises a lot of the times.

I love YS Cardio Boxing routines though. They're so fun, and really "pump" you up. Maybe find youtube videos of those routines, it's the perfect example of why YS is polished and Active isn't; because YS uses YOUR image in the game, not a sloppy avatar in a sloppy virtual world. Instead of punching a virtual bag with your avatar, you're punching and kicking circles all over the screen with a mirror image of yourself, and it feels/looks like you're looking into a giant mirror at the gym. It's just so...polished.

Because YS is so perfect and a joy to control, I still recommend it the most.

But...I think owning both is a must. YS for some light morning exercises, or quick exercises on days where you dont have much time. Active doing your 9 week program, repeating that same 9 week program once it ends a couple months from now.

I agree, Fitness Evolved has amazing tracking, but the workouts are bland and could be more challenging.

With EA ACTIVE I really dig the feedback that the heart rate monitor provides, and the workouts are really challenging.

The journal entries and surveys keep it interesting and coming back to do workouts on a regular basis

The motion tracking leaves a lot to be desired. For example, It's accurate enough to read when you are running, however, it can't really tell the difference when you are supposed to switch up to High- knees or kick-backs.

Also, you must start each activity round standing up with your hands at your sides, or the kinect won't recognize you.

I noticed that fitness evolved already has some add-on DLC, but I have yet to look into what all is available. the Active 2 has me hooked.

I gave the biggest loser demo a shot... not my thing. They really want you to subscribe to their website club

I do prefer EASA2 over YSFE for same reason as others, but i got "Cardio Racer" in YSFE from uplay (cost me 40 uplay credits) and it's VERY challenging, even more than EASA2, it's 28 min of all cardio !!! No warm-up and no cool-down (which is not a good thing imo). I'm using both games, YS for Sleeve-Busting Arms (10 min of muscles execises) and EASA2 as main workout

• 1 month later...

I prefer YSFE, it's MUCH more polished; it just has a more interactive feel. EA probably has more staying power though if only for the fact that you can create your own workouts. And if you like stats, EA has those too. Anything you do ... it keeps track of you.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In terms of improving fitness EA is better, but it's full of glitches and doesn't show kinect in its best light. Whereas your shape is an excellent example of kinects potential has better menus, interface and just generally more polish.